HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
I don't see another team beating the Knights in a 7 game series but I've also seen this franchise blow playoff series when they shouldn't have lost. So I know I won't take anything for granted.
Hunter led teams have usually finished their year when they should have. If anything I think at times they overacheived. Examples?

Old
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
To be honest, I'm not much of a Spit fan anymore (due to location). The other day was the 1st game I've seen all season. I have a #1 Team in the CHL to cheer for instead.
Since CHL greatness seems to follow you around Libbs, could you give me a heads up on your next move? Ill head straight to Vinnie in Vegas and set up my retirement

Old
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
When Kitchener tied Sorel's record in 83-84 they had OT in the OHL and the Rangers won once in OT during their streak. There's no asterisk beside Kitchener's streak
No asterisk since the streak was decided in regular team play. I think in general most fans dislike a game decided by a skill competition but we all enjoy watching the shoot-outs though. Without the shoot-outs (incorporated 7+/- years ago) the Knights streak would've been unbeaten not a winning streak. I also believe the Rangers streak was either started after or finished by a tie. So yes, am asterisk would be appropriate.

Too be honest...they are two different types winning streaks due to governing rules of the day. But both streaks impressive to say the least.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Hunter led teams have usually finished their year when they should have. If anything I think at times they overacheived. Examples?
03/04 losing game 7 at home to Guelph
09/10 losing game 7 at home to Kitchener

Old
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Anyone know why Di Lorenzo didn't make a cameo appearance with the Knights similiar to what Centorame has?
Im not sure why, but traditionally Knights dont use rook D as fill ins. Oft use a F back there on temp basis.
If Im not mistaken he was up with the squad for a short stint but didnt play. They musta felt Centorame was a better fit at this time. They do like both D movng forward thou.

Last edited by aresknights: 01-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
03/04 losing game 7 at home to Guelph
09/10 losing game 7 at home to Kitchener
I knew theyd come up

I think Guelph had the more PO ready squad after the additions of Jansen, and Kliene(?) He killed us from the point. London didnt really add that year and it hurt them. Captain was also suspended for that series. Throw in a Denis and it makes sense to me. It sucked but I thought Guelph was full measure.
The Rags loss hurt as well. That Ktown team went to work and had a great stretch of games (including going up 3-0 before the SPits woke up and rolled) That Knights squad I felt overacheived that year. It sucked but I didnt think we were head n shoulders above Ktown.
Were they up in both series 3-2? I think so. yeah they lost those series but not neccessarily because they underacheived. MAybe the bar was set higher due to overacheiving prior in the reg season and getiin up in series they couldnt close out?

Old
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
aresknights

Or they just blew it They had chances and didnt close but not big upsets IMO

I just think they usually end up where they should if not higher most oft. They really shoulda added in 04 but saved the bankroll for 05.
The Ktown series was suppossed to be a bit of a rebuild year after the 5OT Spitmare the year before.

Old
01-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Defensive Forward

Quote:
Anyone know why Di Lorenzo didn't make a cameo appearance with the Knights similiar to what Centorame has?
Obviously pure speculation on my part, but they may have been scared off by Centorame's one game in the lineup. He wasn't ready to play in the OHL yet, especially when the Knights were thinking about extending the streak. In my view, he had too many defensive lapses, but you could see that he has potential.

People more knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the team could probably answer the question more accurately for you though.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
JL17

If you look at who has gone out and won London games... Patterson has been the guy to do that. He's gone in for Bailie a couple of occassion and the Knights made comebacks and he made those clutch saves to keep his team in the game.

To be honest Centorame didn't stand a chance with this call up. He was playing with a forward in the bottom pairing. Not something a 16 year old should be handed in his first few games.

As I see the D now... Mermis has been "promised top 4 minutes" (no offense he probably won't see much PP time if Maatta can't consistently be back there he won't be) so that leads to Harrington-Hughes shutdown pairing. Maatta-Mermis pairing then you have Raine and Zadorov which maybe the best 5-6 pairing in all of junior hockey. They've played very well together over the year and especially during this holiday period. No team in the league can touch that. Plus you don't have to run any of the first 2 pairings in the ground both Raine and Zadorov showed the last couple of games they can play big minutes and in every situation.

Liberati can fill he still need work and spot duty is what it'll be.

Old
01-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Snippit

Dale OR Mark to coach Team Canada next year? Please, make it happen.

Spott was emotionless behind the bench.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post

Worst coaching display I have ever seen. Started at the beginning of the tourney though, not just this game. Hes a clown. No wonder Kitchener is under achieving (injuries are playing a role too).

Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
aresknights

Hopefully he stays in Ktown

Old
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Worst coaching display I have ever seen. Started at the beginning of the tourney though, not just this game. Hes a clown. No wonder Kitchener is under achieving (injuries are playing a role too).
I would have rather seen.... gulp... I can't believe I'm about to say this.... Dale Hunter behind the bench of Team Canada.

Now excuse me while I go shower the filth off of me... I feel dirty after admitting that.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
aresknights

Not sure well ever see Dale get that gig, as much as I think hed do well.

He hasnt been part of the "club" and I doubt hed put in the time to "earn" his way up thru the HC ranks.

His resume speaks for itself but he wouldnt give the time to do the U17, asst coach or other things all these ladder clmbing coaches are willing to do.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Crottenham

Quote:

He hasnt been part of the "club" and I doubt hed put in the time to "earn" his way up thru the HC ranks.

His resume speaks for itself but he wouldnt give the time to do the U17, asst coach or other things all these ladder clmbing coaches are willing to do.
You make it sound like "ladder climibing coaches" is a dirty word? Everyone wants to get ahead, Hunter is in a unique situation as owner of one of the most succesful franchises in the CHL, financially and otherwise.....one of the reasons he didn't "want" to continue coaching in the NHL.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:19 PM
dino200022

Quote:

To me this tourney just solidified Spott as being an average junior coach and nothing more. It was amazing what Deboer could do behind the bench in Ktown with whatever he was given where as Spott has been nothing but medicore at best with some decent squads.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
aresknights

Quote:
You make it sound like "ladder climibing coaches" is a dirty word? Everyone wants to get ahead, Hunter is in a unique situation as owner of one of the most succesful franchises in the CHL, financially and otherwise.....one of the reasons he didn't "want" to continue coaching in the NHL.
That wasnt my intent at all. I meant they put in time with the program. Theyre willing to take time away from club teams to further their experience, network ect... Nothing wrong with it at all. The goal of many a coach is to keep moving up the ladder. Dale hasnt had to do that for reason you mentioned.
I dont think HC would take him cause he hasnt been part of the club and I dont know hed take it if offered. Again for reasons you mentioned.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
That wasnt my intent at all. I meant they put in time with the program. Theyre willing to take time away from club teams to further their experience, network ect... Nothing wrong with it at all. The goal of many a coach is to keep moving up the ladder. Dale hasnt had to do that for reason you mentioned.
I dont think HC would take him cause he hasnt been part of the club and I dont know hed take it if offered. Again for reasons you mentioned.
Thanks for the clarification....

Old
01-03-2013, 02:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post

I like that idea !!

Old
01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
sbrug

John Gibson?

Now that Spott has again proven to have no idea what to do with a good hockey team, I see Kitchener's best option is to sell this year. With the recent goaltending concerns, would you guys ignore the forward and defence positions and kick the tires on Gibson? Normally, I wouldn't but Spott also has a history of getting 60 cents on the dollar for his players and botching trades at the last hours (Watson) while Hunter can get good value for his prospects and picks. I feel that if Hunter waits to the last few minutes of the deadline, he can make some very good deals here without giving up too much because there probably won't be many buyers. Selling teams will then scramble to get anything they can for their vets whereas London can wait and let time pass because there is no pressure for them to do much. It is well known that the Knights are concerned about Herbst's health. Things are not progressing at the moment. I believe Kitchener has an open OA spot so London could also throw in Bailie. How about a trade centered around Bailie, Herbst, Pawley, and Jammes, and possibly cash and or picks for Gibson?

Domi-Broadhurst-Griffith
Welychka-Tierney-Anderson
Rupert-Horvat-Rupert
Ferry-Elie-Platzer

Harrington-Hughes
Zadorov-Maatta
Mermis-Raine

Gibson
Patterson

Would look good wouldn't it

Old
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
sbrug

Didn't see until now that someone had a similar idea in the trade rumour thread. Anyway, continue.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
RayzorIsDull

This truly is bizarro world with London fans thinking they can get these great players for nothing. Kitchener would have no use for Baille they already have Palazzesse in net and Moylan could back him up. There are definitely health concerns with Herbst which means buyer beware. Then you're left with Pawley, Jammes and picks for Gibson?

Well we are it how about
Platzer and picks for Gibson
Welychka, Jammes and picks for Trocheck
Pawley, Liberati and picks for Monahan
Raine and picks for Corrado

Old
01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Acad

Quote:

Well we are it how about
Kitchener will want an arm and a leg for Gibson after the Mason deal.

Corrado for that package, well that's laughable

Old
01-03-2013, 02:58 PM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
This truly is bizarro world with London fans thinking they can get these great players for nothing. Kitchener would have no use for Baille they already have Palazzesse in net and Moylan could back him up. There are definitely health concerns with Herbst which means buyer beware. Then you're left with Pawley, Jammes and picks for Gibson?

Well we are it how about
It's awful quiet on trade front so maybe teams have not decided to sell off yet.

The east is really wide open...Sudbury may still buy.

By this weekend we should here more closer rumours than the stuff floating around now. Some of its totally absorb I agree with you. Gibson...Monahan..your talking full Monty deals that hurt your core.....Domi would be asked for minimum...then add more....too pricey folks.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
sbrug

Quote:

Well we are it how about
It really isn't bizzaro world. Have you not paid attention to London's past two deadlines? They have steamrolled the other GM in almost every trade. It's all in the timing, and when the deadline passes London will either have done nothing or they will have come out on top on another big trade. What do you expect the Knights to give up Horvat for Gibson? Domi? Hunter is the best GM in the game right now. He got Watson, McKegg and Cook for peanuts. Prior to that he got nearly whole lineup's worth in draft picks for D'Orazio, MacDonald, Erlich, DeSousa, and Brown. Prior to that he gave up next to nothing for Adam Dennis, Dan Girardi, and Dan Fritsche when London was in a very similar position right now.

Closed Thread