HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
As someone mentioned, London will have to get back to doin the little things that wins games. It's tough to buy in for 68 games, ESP after a run like they had. They'll get back to doing those things In time for POs. locking shots, easy outs, proper dump ins, positioning, balance on the ice et al.

The more Ls the easier Dale and co. Job will be

Old
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Ok, nice to see fans from other teams chiming in.

HL I do agree with some of stuff but at times your using both sides of a coin to defend ur players and dish ours. Leroux a plug and uselessness u use lack of stats ( pts) to try and prove it, then defend Bowen for lack of pts because he brings other stuff? Doesn't lend to credibility.

ILL SAY AGAIN, for all those talking about Lerouxs dressing g - MAY E JUST MAYB E there was a reason Platz sat out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So it was more Pawley or Leroux as a choice. And I do t blame Hu Ted for dressing. Him. I do however totally agree with PP. let him serve the major, nor Elie.

HL. 1 1/2 min a game----no biggie BUT look at scraps. Way more in Spitsville. And often with no purpose other than for show or cause your team is losing.

I'm hoping for a Spits PO matchup. I think well be fine and no I dont think the Spits worry me as much as SSM. Sag sure, but SSM may just have turned the ship around.
Aresknights

re stat comparison i was only pointing out to poster wrong to critisize Clark as a fighter only when the guy scores 13 goals,to Leroux 0,Clark is not just a fighter
Leroux is,very little to no offensive ability much like Bilcke,as for Bowen being an 18 year old d-man there are several teams who do like his toughness and ability to hit,he will never be a pt machine
Maybe u can tell why Platzer did not play u seem to be hinting at something

Old
01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
As someone mentioned, London will have to get back to doin the little things that wins games. It's tough to buy in for 68 games, ESP after a run like they had. They'll get back to doing those things In time for POs. locking shots, easy outs, proper dump ins, positioning, balance on the ice et al.

The more Ls the easier Dale and co. Job will be
I would agree a return to the style that has made them successful,did not see alot of shot blocking last nite,Knights had trouble with some of Windsors new found speed as well,unlike the the previous 2 games at the Bud,they blocked shots like mad,got in the way,played gritty, not taking the easy way out as some did last nite,an observation not being critical or mean spirited
This Knight team will be heard from,though I am curious to see how things shake out in goal,Stolarz was very impressive last nite,seems to be finding his way,Patterson the opposite losing his way
I do think despite the 24 game streak that last yrs team was more scary then this one,maybe because they are still young ,many of them, I dont know,more glue type people,ie Knight,Watson,Tinordi,Cook and maybe the x factor Houser
Time will tell,certainly no reason to panic

Old
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
It's not based on just beating the Knights in their own barn with their best defenceman out, it's based on how Windsor is playing as a team with the changes since the deadline. They've only left a single point on the board since then, have been winning on the road and beating good teams. They
haven't given up a power play goal in a while now, and that goalie who "won't give us great goaltending all the time" (as if any goaltender does) has given up 7 goals over the last 5 games.
You can pretend that London has better coaching, but all that does is make a mockery of your credibility. Boughner has won twice as many memorial cups in half the time behind the bench. Just read this thread, there's a lot more negatives about Dale's coaching than positives. Dale gets accolades for his part in running a
successful team and he does play a part in that, but nobody is going to accuse him of being a tactical genius behind the bench. I remember several instances where during timeouts Hunter would stand there like an idiot chewing gum while Boughner would be putting a plan together on the
chalk board. I also remember in it resulting in Windsor goals. Maybe that seems like understated genius to you, that he says nothing during a critical timeout because the players should know what to do already, but to me it looks like a guy who isn't great at coaching.
Im not pretending. Im merely reiterating what MANY in the hockey world (backed by his record) have said and that is Dale is a great coach. Sorry, but it is your credibility that gets questioned when you say boughner is a better coach than dale. Your going to point to two mem cups (achieved with an asterix due to cheating) and the ability to use a chalk board. Oh man thats rich.
Listen, ive agreed that windsor is a much better team...but before the deadline they were a bottom feeder. What do you think they did, put together a mem cup team with the addition of a few guys? Its a nice little run your on and enjoy it. They come to an end you know
See you in the playoffs (maybe) and just dont stick your chest out too far. Youll only be disappointed if you make themmout to be better than they really are.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

from the OHL rule book:

Slew-footing –Slew-footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot
to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an
opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the
same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the
opponent’s feet from under him, causing his opponent to trip or fall.

It was a textbook slew-foot and the right call by virtue of game speed.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
from the OHL rule book:

Slew-footing –Slew-footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot
to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an
opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the
same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the
opponent’s feet from under him, causing his opponent to trip or fall.

It was a textbook slew-foot and the right call by virtue of game speed.
By virtue of gamespeed yes. It was the right call at the time. I agreed with the call. Watch the replay and tell me that you see a kicking motion so much so, that it takes the guy down (pay attention to Broadhursts arm as well).
This is why there shoyld be no suspension as it was not his leg that took him down.
Tough call for the ref at game speed, easy call for the review panel.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:50 PM
JL17

Quote:
Hunter's 1st mistake was dressing Leroux...that's lack of preparation and there is no excuse for it. Bilcke was out..and Windsor was short staffed...no way anyone in a Spits uniform dances last night. Dumb move #1.

Dumb move #2?...you pull Elie off the bench to serve Broadhurst's major(by the way correct call..textbook slewfoot and 5 games in my opinion). You tap Leroux and tell him to take his bucket and take a seat on another bench for 5 minutes.

I said it when we got Sefton...we got a bit tougher and maybe a bit more stay at home..but a whole lot slower....it's shows. Do something to impress me.

Harrington left his game in Russia..he's been brutal since he came back. Lead by example...you don't let a rookie dance around you once..let alone 4 or 5 times in a game.
Are we on the same page or something along those lines???

Harrington's been influenced by Spott.... just part of his plan

Old
01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
jughead42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Im not pretending. Im merely reiterating what MANY in the hockey world (backed by his record) have said and that is Dale is a great coach. Sorry, but it is your credibility that gets questioned when you say boughner is a better coach than dale. Your going to point to two mem cups (achieved with an asterix due to cheating) and the ability to use a chalk board. Oh man thats rich.
So just because you claim that people in the hockey world think he's a great coach that makes him one? Who are these people, and when did they say this? MANY in the hockey world think Max Domi wears a diaper under his hockey pants. See how that works? I don't care what your mysterious hockey world experts seem to think, I've seen the guy make some absolutely abominable decisions as a coach. I'm sure many of the London fans who have seen more games than me have seen it too. It doesn't mean he's a horrible coach, but Boughner is without question better. You've heard them both talk about the game, right? It's pretty obvious actually when you listen to them which of the two has a bit more going on. I'm not going to address the cheating stuff, that's pretty rich coming from a london fan.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:48 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Listen, ive agreed that windsor is a much better team...but before the deadline they were a bottom feeder. What do you think they did, put together a mem cup team with the addition of a few guys? Its a nice little run your on and enjoy it. They come to an end you know
See you in the playoffs (maybe) and just dont stick your chest out too far. Youll only be disappointed if you make themmout to be better than they really are.
Show me where there is an asterik? The asterik is nothing more than something you built up in that mind of yours. If you can show me a media guide that has an asterik next to those 2 Memorial Cups I will drop the issue but if it doesn't I stand by what you said you're just a ******** fan of London.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Show me where there is an asterik? The asterik is nothing more than something you built up in that mind of yours. If you can show me a media guide that has an asterik next to those 2 Memorial Cups I will drop the issue but if it doesn't I stand by what you said you're just a ******** fan of London.
There would never be a media guide to show that because currently Branch has an infatuation with Windsor as evidenced by lowering the cheating penalty and likely giving a mediocre team a Memorial Cup bid. Don't fool yourself, paying players to come play because you could never legally attract top end talent and winning two Memorial Cups is worse than a host team backdooring their way to that National Junior Championship.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
aresknights

Dale is a good coach. Boog is a good coach. They have different styles. Theyre in different situations now and have been before.
To me trying to compare them, or decide who is better is dumb. They both know way more about hockey and what it takes to win then all us on here put together.
I like Dales style better. Some will like Boogs. That doesnt mean ones better than the other.
Boog won twice with one core of players (I know a few key differences but the core was the same) He had one great run of 2 straight Memerial Cups. Dale has consistently won games (althou not Memorial Cups) over a long period of time. To each their own. If Boog can take another group to the promised land props to him.

Theyve each got the better of the other at times and their success isnt had in a vaccuum. GMs and players mean a lot to success as well!

Now last night I think Dlae made some decisions that werent conducive to winning the game. Combos and matchups, but maybe hes experimenting a bit?

Last edited by aresknights: 01-19-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 03:59 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree a return to the style that has made them successful,did not see alot of shot blocking last nite,Knights had trouble with some of Windsors new found speed as well,unlike the the previous 2 games at the Bud,they blocked shots like mad,got in the way,played gritty, not taking the easy way out as some did last nite,an observation not being critical or mean spirited
This Knight team will be heard from,though I am curious to see how things shake out in goal,Stolarz was very impressive last nite,seems to be finding his way,Patterson the opposite losing his way
I do think despite the 24 game streak that last yrs team was more scary then this one,maybe because they are still young ,many of them, I dont know,more glue type people,ie Knight,Watson,Tinordi,Cook and maybe the x factor Houser
Time will tell,certainly no reason to panic
Good post HL. Observant, accurate IMO. I did love what Knight, Tinordi, Names and the other deadline adds brought and we are missing some of that for sure.

Platz issue- heard something but cant confirm. Not a big issue, but I believe if 100% healthy and no other reason to sit out present (discipline) he plays ahead of Leroux 24 of 25 times.
The Knights have gotten away from that type hockey in recent years and I feel Leroux presence was in response to playin the Spits and their style, the events in the 3rd period last game and a minor issue with Platz (sic, slight ding, whatever)

Old
01-19-2013, 04:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
There would never be a media guide to show that because currently Branch has an infatuation with Windsor as evidenced by lowering the cheating penalty and likely giving a mediocre team a Memorial Cup bid. Don't fool yourself, paying players to come play because you could never legally attract top end talent and winning two Memorial Cups is worse than a host team backdooring their way to that National Junior Championship.
When the committee was formed by the league governors to govern rules violations the one that could not be done was to take away championships,Branch had no choice in that matter
It should also be noted that Branch said violations occurred after 2009,which of course is the 1st year the Spits won the cup,so if u think both cup wins are tainted thats wrong,i dont think the 2nd one is either,games are won the ice not the boardroom
As to your pt about awarding the hosting to a mediocre team,the makeup of the team projected is only 1 component,guaranteed money,hosting league/chl events,arena,everything
In my mind its a 2 horse race,between Windsor and London,Barrie and Kingston have little chance if they apply
I would take issue with mediocre team,Windsor has 2 goalies,8 d-men and 9 forwards returning,only Koko.Aleardi,Clark of the 22 man roster not back
London for instance has 2 goalies,4 d-men and 12 forwards returning,as Ferry,Hughes,Harrington,Sefton and Griffth not returning
I know some think Griffith and Sefton will but i dont think so
Now both teams have players in their systems that may be impact rosters as well
London has Macdonald,Centomane,the other Elie,Tait Seguin,Herbst,question mark
Delorenzo
while Windsor has Kuchmey,maybe Nick Schmaltz,Evan Allen,Alex Baughman,Bennett Morrisson
Both teams would have room for o/as Windsor 1 or 2,London 2 unless Griffth.Sefton
Spits have 2 1st rd Euro picks,Knights will trade theirs as I doubt Zadorov or Maata will make the NHL next yr
Knights have their 1st rd pick probably 19 th o/a based on the standings ,while spits dont have their 1st rd pick due to sanctions
Not as cut and dried as some may think
If the Knights did not host in 2005 i would say they might have an edge,but because they did,and the city of Windsor has hosted several things leading up to,Windsor might have the edge albeit slight
We will see

Old
01-19-2013, 05:28 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Saw the Broadhurst play on replay...I'm more convinced than ever it was a slew-foot when I see it in slow motion. Leg behind the Windsor player...free arm pulls player back....text book. It's how they draw it up in officiating tapes and it's cut and dry in my opinion regardless of lack of kicking motion. Sorry..but we'll agree to disagree on this one. He may not get suspended(a match penalty usually tags 2 games minimum)..but 2-5 games would not shock me at all.

They will also lose Ryan Rupert for a minimum 3 games...automatic for physical abuse of official Category III

Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his
actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an
official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of
equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official,
shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at
or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies
physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of
such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be
suspended for not less than three (3) games.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 01-19-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This...this is not even an intelligent response. The reference was not to be taken literal (asterix) but to the point of cheating. Argue what you like, you got caught. Glad you did too.
I think i enjoyed it more when you spits fans were miserable and bickering amongst yourselves about how brutal your team is.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Saw the Broadhurst play on replay...I'm more convinced than ever it was a slew-foot when I see it in slow motion. Leg behind the Windsor player...free arm pulls player back....text book. It's how they draw it up in officiating tapes and it's cut and dry in my opinion regardless of lack of kicking motion. Sorry..but we'll agree to disagree on this one. He may not get suspended(a match penalty usually tags 2 games minimum)..but 2-5 games would not shock me at all.

They will also lose Ryan Rupert for a minimum 3 games...automatic for physical abuse of official Category III

Actually some slew foots get only 1 game,in this case I agree 2 or more may be warranted,not suggesting Broadhurst is that type of player however
Good catch on the R.Rupert game misc,missed that one on Tv and did not look at the game summary on the leagues site
Games over have to maintain your cool

Old
01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
JL17

Quote:

When did that happen??? I'm surprised something wasn't done when Max went to slash Seiloff and caught the linesmen.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:50 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
When did that happen??? I'm surprised something wasn't done when Max went to slash Seiloff and caught the linesmen.
Right at the end of the game...didn't actually see it..but it's on the game sheet..and it is ruled on after the game to determine the severity..Category 3 is automatic 3 games minimum.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:36 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually some slew foots get only 1 game,in this case I agree 2 or more may be warranted,not suggesting Broadhurst is that type of player however
Good catch on the R.Rupert game misc,missed that one on Tv and did not look at the game summary on the leagues site
Games over have to maintain your cool
OHL site says Broadhurst gets 1 game for the slewfoot and Rupert gets 3 for abuse of officials

Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

I would have been floored if Broadhurst didn't get anything...I thought 2-5 and still do..he got lucky. I'm shocked he didn't get at least 2 for the match.

Rupert is a MINIMUM 3 games...pending review and submitted report...it could go higher.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
youngblood10

Those suspensions are cut and dry. The complete lack of discipline by the Knights was a surprise to me. I don't know if they were trying to send a message for a possible playoff match up or frustrated from getting down early in the game whatever it was, but they did more hacking and whacking in that game then I've seen in a long time. With a different officiating crew or if the game was played 150k SW they'd be short handed that entire game. Really shot themselves in the foot.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:58 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Those suspensions are cut and dry. The complete lack of discipline by the Knights was a surprise to me. I don't know if they were trying to send a message for a possible playoff match up or frustrated from getting down early in the game whatever it was, but they did more hacking and whacking in that game then I've seen in a long time. With a different officiating crew or if the game was played 150k SW they'd be short handed that entire game. Really shot themselves in the foot.
If the message was "smack my butt and call me Nancy"..they succeeded

Old
01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
hardoil3232

ohl referee number29 isa complete joke

Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Snippit

Why do Windsor fans think we should be more worried about them than SSM or Saginaw? Is Windsor a better team than before? Absolutely.

But I remember last year, many people predicted Windsor taking the Knights to 6 or 7, a lot even predicted Windsor winning the series cause of a 3-3 season series. See how that turned out?

Any of those 3 teams (Soo, Windsor and Saginaw) can cause us trouble. The Soo is the team I'm most worried about in the first round.

Why is Boughner any better of a coach than Dale? Dale can make bad decisions, but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach. He helped the Caps make the playoffs and upset the B's. Boughner is a good coach, but not sure he's better than Hunter

On another note, take a peek at the standings. 13 pts up on the Attack, with them having 2 games in hand. Might look comfortable, but we nearly blew the same lead to Plymouth last year. 1st seed means everything.

The entire West is on a roll, except for us an Erie. Gotta hang tight the rest of the way

Old
01-20-2013, 12:51 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Why do Windsor fans think we should be more worried about them than SSM or Saginaw? Is Windsor a better team than before? Absolutely.

But I remember last year, many people predicted Windsor taking the Knights to 6 or 7, a lot even predicted Windsor winning the series cause of a 3-3 season series. See how that turned out?

Any of those 3 teams (Soo, Windsor and Saginaw) can cause us trouble. The Soo is the team I'm most worried about in the first round.

Why is Boughner any better of a coach than Dale? Dale can make bad decisions, but that doesn't mean he's a bad coach. He helped the Caps make the playoffs and upset the B's. Boughner is a good coach, but not sure he's better than Hunter

On another note, take a peek at the standings. 13 pts up on the Attack, with them having 2 games in hand. Might look comfortable, but we nearly blew the same lead to Plymouth last year. 1st seed means everything.

The entire West is on a roll, except for us an Erie. Gotta hang tight the rest of the way
Pretty accurate post. Removing my hatred for Windsor, I would have to say I'd be more worried about the Soo than Windsor, especially after hearing about Koekkoek. The Greyhounds, with a new coach actually have a decent top 6 forward group that can wear you out and they have skilled d-men in Nurse, Sproul, Miller and Gudbranson has been better this year. Throw in a good goalie with a refreshing coach and suddenly this could be their year as they were in fact built for this season. Saginaw and Windsor are a toss up, I like Saginaw's young forwards by far and they aren't as skilled on D but have more depth with a better goalie. They miss the old high end talent that Windsor has in Aleardi and Kohkhlachev.

As for Boughner vs. Hunter, saying one coach is better than the other is ********, but that same poster also thinks an undrafted Pavelka is better than a second round NHL pick in Stolarz and he also believes Domi is the next Nazem Kadri.

All in all, I feel that the Knights aren't as good as their 24 game win streak shows and lots of the west teams have closed the gap and are peaking right now. Seems like London was in a similar spot this time last year, but last year's team had a consistent goalie in front of a consistent D. We haven't seen that as much as I would have liked this year which is concerning.

Closed Thread