HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
  #676
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
IMO having Ferry on the top line last year was a lucky break. This team doesn't need him at this point on it. You could take him out and play Platzer or Elie more and not miss a beat.

Those 2 deserve more icetime the way they've played lately.

Stolarz should start today. If he loses then I think you'll see Mark calling Florida begging Tallon to give Houser back.

JL17 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
  #677
sbrug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
IMO having Ferry on the top line last year was a lucky break. This team doesn't need him at this point on it. You could take him out and play Platzer or Elie more and not miss a beat.

Those 2 deserve more icetime the way they've played lately.

Stolarz should start today. If he loses then I think you'll see Mark calling Florida begging Tallon to give Houser back.
Yeah, it didn't make a difference having Ferry on the top line or not cause the team had 4 lines that could match with anybody I think. This team does too but things aren't clicking at the moment. The good thing about Elie and Platzer is that they should be ready for good minutes next year. Reminds me of how Tierney, Anderson, and Horvat were fourth liners last year but now play big roles. Welychka too.

I'm honestly not concerned about the goalies. People say that London is taking a risk with two "rookie" goalies but what if London had kept Bailie and not signed a NHL 2nd round pick? Seems like a no brainer to me.

sbrug is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
  #678
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
Yeah, it didn't make a difference having Ferry on the top line or not cause the team had 4 lines that could match with anybody I think. This team does too but things aren't clicking at the moment. The good thing about Elie and Platzer is that they should be ready for good minutes next year. Reminds me of how Tierney, Anderson, and Horvat were fourth liners last year but now play big roles. Welychka too.

I'm honestly not concerned about the goalies. People say that London is taking a risk with two "rookie" goalies but what if London had kept Bailie and not signed a NHL 2nd round pick? Seems like a no brainer to me.
re Goaltending why not keep all three,Owen sd made it work a couple years back,London had an opening for an o/a,that seems like a no brainer to me,going with 2 rookies is dangerous,especially now with 1 whose confidence appears to be shaken
As for a 2nd rder drafted by the Nhl,with limited college experience and no Jr A coming in is not a recipe for instant success
Having said that Stolarz has looked fine so far,we will see when there is more pressure how he days

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  #679
sbrug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
re Goaltending why not keep all three,Owen sd made it work a couple years back,London had an opening for an o/a,that seems like a no brainer to me,going with 2 rookies is dangerous,especially now with 1 whose confidence appears to be shaken
As for a 2nd rder drafted by the Nhl,with limited college experience and no Jr A coming in is not a recipe for instant success
Having said that Stolarz has looked fine so far,we will see when there is more pressure how he days
I said a while back when they made the move they could have kept all 3 and brought up OS but I guess they didn't want to do that or they still thought Houser had a small chance of coming back at the time. Also, thinking about a 3 man tandem would make it awkward if Bailie was here after doing a decent job for 20 games. Probably best to just cut ties and wish him luck.

sbrug is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:26 AM
  #680
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,088
vCash: 500
Hey guys Flyers fan here, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me how Stolarz has looked so far? Thanks in advance

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
  #681
sbrug
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hey guys Flyers fan here, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me how Stolarz has looked so far? Thanks in advance
I'm not a goalie expert but I'd say Stolarz has been good. Rebounds are iffy at times but for his size, he seems to be quick. Over time I think he'll be alright.

sbrug is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
  #682
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Noob Magnet
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD 309A19
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hey guys Flyers fan here, I was wondering if anyone here can tell me how Stolarz has looked so far? Thanks in advance
Stolarz has been sound. Taking into consideration it's a new league that is much quicker than where he was playing he's done really well. Sets up well and is square to the shooter when making saves. Does kick out some juicy rebounds but for the most part plays soft and absorbs a lot of pucks. His athletic ability is extraordinary for such a big kid. I like what I've seen so far. Gave up 5 in his 1st start(team hung him out to dry on most of them) but since then has settled in nicely and sports a Save PCT. of .942 in his last 4 games (2 starts 2 relief) allowing only 5 goals in those 4 games on 86 shots. Right now in my eyes he's the better of the 2 tenders and is more comfortable in goal than Patterson.


Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 01-28-2013 at 09:16 AM.
PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
  #683
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
The kid is athletic for sure. It stuck out right away.

aresknights is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
  #684
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,088
vCash: 500
Good stuff. Thanks for the info guys.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
  #685
hardoil3232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
sefton plays way too soft i thought he would be more physical like kevin raine was

hardoil3232 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 05:43 PM
  #686
sportnut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoil3232 View Post
sefton plays way too soft i thought he would be more physical like kevin raine was
I was at the game in Ottawa and watched the Belleville game on the tube. Even in Ottawa, I was saying to myself: '' His this guy that slow''! After the game against the Bulls, I had no more doubts. He is going to be a liability on def. going forward.

You guys that follow the team on a regular basis have to let me in on something: Why don't Platzer and Elie get more ice time. Yesterday, they were flying in the first and second, getting great scoring chance (even playing with a defenceman) and then, we don't see them in the 3rd? A few of the regulars on the top 3 lines need a rude awakening the way they have been playing of late...

sportnut is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  #687
nelli27
Registered User
 
nelli27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bud Gardens 107 K10
Country: Canada
Posts: 586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportnut View Post
I was at the game in Ottawa and watched the Belleville game on the tube. Even in Ottawa, I was saying to myself: '' His this guy that slow''! After the game against the Bulls, I had no more doubts. He is going to be a liability on def. going forward.

You guys that follow the team on a regular basis have to let me in on something: Why don't Platzer and Elie get more ice time. Yesterday, they were flying in the first and second, getting great scoring chance (even playing with a defenceman) and then, we don't see them in the 3rd? A few of the regulars on the top 3 lines need a rude awakening the way they have been playing of late...
London has a lot of depth of front. I really like both Platzer and Elie. Right now, the forward lines (when healthy) are:
1. Broadhurst, Domi, Griffith
2. Anderson, Tierney, Welychka
3. Horvat, R. and M. Rupert
4. Elie, Platzer, Ferry, Leroux, Pawley. (pick 3!)

Since Elie and Platzer are on the 4th line, they're not going to get much ice. The 4th line, though, is capable of generating some offence. I think that's one of the advantages that Hunter has--he can roll 4 lines even if the ice time is not evenly distributed. Elie and Platzer will play a more important role next season. Elie's skating has really improved in the last year, and he has the hardest shot on the team. Platzer is smooth, good hands, reliable.

R. Rupert's suspension forced Hunter to alter the lines (in some curious ways too). Ferry replaced Domi on the top line which I believe was a huge mistake.

nelli27 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
  #688
dino200022
Registered User
 
dino200022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Just a little read on outstanding ohl refs :-)

dino200022 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
  #689
MisterDB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
A little read on some off ice activites by the Kniights


Knights apologize for disruptive behaviour

By Ian MacAlpine, Kingston Whig-Standard
Monday, January 28, 2013 8:28:14 EST PM


http://www.thewhig.com/2013/01/28/kn...tive-behaviour

MisterDB is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 09:12 AM
  #690
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,276
vCash: 500
As Commissioner of the Ohl I hereby fine the Knights 10,000 and loss of 1 1st rd pick 2013

for conduct unbecoming to the league

signed- David Branch

like that would ever happen,only happens to teams who spend money to improve the

quality of league lol

hockeylegend11 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
  #691
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja
 
Knights77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Section 314
Country: Canada
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
As Commissioner of the Ohl I hereby fine the Knights 10,000 and loss of 1 1st rd pick 2013

for conduct unbecoming to the league

signed- David Branch

like that would ever happen,only happens to teams who spend money to improve the

quality of league lol
You mean 'spend money (illegally) to improve the quality of their team in the league'
Rowdy hockey players at a hotel, oh my! What is the world coming to. No laws were broken, no leauge rules were broken (sorry windsor) and at least nobody was ***** (sorry sault ste marie).

Knights77 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:45 PM
  #692
youngblood10
Registered User
 
youngblood10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
You mean 'spend money (illegally) to improve the quality of their team in the league'
Rowdy hockey players at a hotel, oh my! What is the world coming to. No laws were broken, no leauge rules were broken (sorry windsor) and at least nobody was ***** (sorry sault ste marie).

Rowdy hockey players is one thing, intimidating and harassing is something altogether different. I've been on enough teams with enough over nights to know to knock it off when the complaints start. But banging on the door, escalating it and that stuff. Sounds like a bunch of punks to me. Sure they are kids to stupid to figure it out in this case so, because they are just stupid kids where is the adult to baby sit the little ones? At the bar I'd bet.

youngblood10 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
  #693
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja
 
Knights77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Section 314
Country: Canada
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Rowdy hockey players is one thing, intimidating and harassing is something altogether different. I've been on enough teams with enough over nights to know to knock it off when the complaints start. But banging on the door, escalating it and that stuff. Sounds like a bunch of punks to me. Sure they are kids to stupid to figure it out in this case so, because they are just stupid kids where is the adult to baby sit the little ones? At the bar I'd bet.
I agree with you, IF there was intimidating and harassing that is too far. Bunch of punks? So you were a punk too? C'mon man so you were the guy keeping everybody out of trouble? They are kids. All of the players in the league are kids. You weren't there, I wasn't there...a claim was made that they were intimidating and harrassing. A police report was filed so if anything was done really wrong, people will pay the price. I too stayed in hotels as part of a hockey team and it is one of my favourite memory as a kid. Maybe parents/management should be more prevalant.
Nice 'bar shot'

Knights77 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
  #694
youngblood10
Registered User
 
youngblood10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I agree with you, IF there was intimidating and harassing that is too far. Bunch of punks? So you were a punk too? C'mon man so you were the guy keeping everybody out of trouble? They are kids. All of the players in the league are kids. You weren't there, I wasn't there...a claim was made that they were intimidating and harrassing. A police report was filed so if anything was done really wrong, people will pay the price. I too stayed in hotels as part of a hockey team and it is one of my favourite memory as a kid. Maybe parents/management should be more prevalant.
Nice 'bar shot'
Being loud and rowdy is stuff kids do, harassing and intimidating is things punks do. Cut and dry in my books. Somehow I think if a bunch of teenagers are banging on your front door you wouldn't be so cavalier about it. But it's the beloved London Knights so who cares. It's not as if they killed anyone.

youngblood10 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
  #695
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
As Commissioner of the Ohl I hereby fine the Knights 10,000 and loss of 1 1st rd pick 2013

for conduct unbecoming to the league

signed- David Branch

like that would ever happen,only happens to teams who spend money to improve the

quality of league lol
Only happens to TEAM, who spent money in contradication (cheating) to pre extablished league rules put in place to help ensure competitive balance. Gotcha

aresknights is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
  #696
PhlyerPhanatic
Moderator
Noob Magnet
 
PhlyerPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The BUD 309A19
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Hopefully this isn't taken softly by the team. To overlook it is to condone it. I'd be bent outa shape if it was any team I coached. That being said we're taking the mother's voice as the only voice..which is wrong also. Both sides are needed to form a conclusion in my opinion. If in fact all the events happened as described..I would hope some team discipline is forthcoming.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
  #697
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Fail- Knights players for being loud/ rowdy --If they were intimidating/harrassing other overnighters, its absolutely wrong!
Fail- KNights management not having a presence at the hotel (away scouting game)
Fail- hotel for not beiong more proactive in helping complaining customer. They coulda and shoulda kicked Knights out if they were that bad, moved the mother/daughter to another room comped or paid to go to other hotel, something!

The story seems a bit odd to me in how its laid out and the truth (as usual) probably lies between both parties account of incident.

I sure wouldnt want to be the players when Mark comes to address the situation and his expectations moving forward

I feel for the girl missing her event but again it seems odd they both slept thru alarm, were going to do laundry at 11pm, didnt ask to move rooms or get other accomadation the night before such an important event? Im not blaming them but Id a done a lot more to ensure my daughter got to the event. Again not blaming them, but why not move and deal with the hotel the next day

In comments under the article anotehr couple staying there didnt notice anything.

aresknights is online now  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
  #698
JL17
Registered User
 
JL17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
This is all team management for not being there. You can't spin it any other way. These kids are in the wrong.

Whom ever thinks its a good idea to let all those kids be there with no supervision needs to get there head a shake.

It's a black mark for London and the OHL..

JL17 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
  #699
JSavoire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
London has a lot of depth of front. I really like both Platzer and Elie. Right now, the forward lines (when healthy) are:
1. Broadhurst, Domi, Griffith
2. Anderson, Tierney, Welychka
3. Horvat, R. and M. Rupert
4. Elie, Platzer, Ferry, Leroux, Pawley. (pick 3!)

Since Elie and Platzer are on the 4th line, they're not going to get much ice. The 4th line, though, is capable of generating some offence. I think that's one of the advantages that Hunter has--he can roll 4 lines even if the ice time is not evenly distributed. Elie and Platzer will play a more important role next season. Elie's skating has really improved in the last year, and he has the hardest shot on the team. Platzer is smooth, good hands, reliable.

R. Rupert's suspension forced Hunter to alter the lines (in some curious ways too). Ferry replaced Domi on the top line which I believe was a huge mistake.
You're bang on in a number of observations. In the London vs. Bulls game I was a bit shocked that Ferry had basically replaced Domi on the 1st line and I thought that wasn't the best move in that situation. Could the thought have been to spread the depth more along those lines, maybe.

As for lines being rolled, I was pleasantly surprised since the 4rth line of Elie, Platzer mainly was very responsible and I thought Hunter was smart on doing that since you can't develop the kids from the bench and when going for a long potential playoff run that will pay dividends. Yes, the 4rth line didn't play as much as the other lines for London but for example the Bulls played mostly 2 lines with some spotting in of the 3rd line especially 2nd and 3rd periods. And when you're running a Marathon to the Playoffs and beyond that's a sure way to burn out and it's tough to then take players you haven't played and say "step up now".

This is why I think London also has a great Track Record in getting their kids better developed on average than other teams, getting more of them ranked and ranked higher on average than other teams. And when suspensions, illness or injuries occur down the run those kids are actually prepared and ready to step up and fit right in.

Conclusion: London is still the team to beat and has the best chance of making the Mem Cup. And if they get a chance to host the Mem Cup they'll also be best suited for that as well.

JSavoire is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
  #700
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja
 
Knights77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Section 314
Country: Canada
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Being loud and rowdy is stuff kids do, harassing and intimidating is things punks do. Cut and dry in my books. Somehow I think if a bunch of teenagers are banging on your front door you wouldn't be so cavalier about it. But it's the beloved London Knights so who cares. It's not as if they killed anyone.
If you look back at what I said 'if they were intimidating and harrassing that is too far'. I agree with you.
Nobody said they should be excused because it is the beloved London Knights so your 'homerism' doesn't fit here. I think it is a black eye on what should be a fun experience (the eastern roadie).
Those who need to be held accountable, will be held accountable and your sarcastic point is correct, its not as if they killed anyone....or anything remotely close.

Knights77 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.