HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
sbrug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
This team has had nothing to play for since Christmas. Now as the gap dwindles down to under 8 points for 1st overall in the league....you'll see them starting to put the pedal down a bit more each week. If people are that worried...they're fooled. This is still the best team in the OHL...by far. There's not a team in the West that scares me moving forward....realistically.
You're probably right. Come playoff time, the Hunters always have this team ready and hopefully they've figured out their #1 goalie by then and don't continue to swap. One of the goalies grabbing the net for good would solve a lot of problems for everyone. I still can't see another team winning a best of 7 against London but recent play from Plymouth and SSM might say different. This is where finishing first overall in the O is huge. Last year London avoided playing Plymouth and Kitchener both in the playoffs which was big (no disrespect to Saginaw). Had Plymouth finished first last year, London would have had a much tougher road to the Memorial Cup. Gotta nail this down with few home games left.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:24 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
This team has had nothing to play for since Christmas. Now as the gap dwindles down to under 8 points for 1st overall in the league....you'll see them starting to put the pedal down a bit more each week. If people are that worried...they're fooled. This is still the best team in the OHL...by far. There's not a team in the West that scares me moving forward....realistically.
To say the Knights are the best team in the league by far is a stretch,every team in the west got better at the trade deadline,except Erie and Saginaw,though Saginaw has shown they did not need Trochek as much as some felt,going with 2 rookie tenders with
zero playoff experience,not adding another scorer,was arrogance on behalf of the Hunters and hopefully they will be taught a lesson by ways of an early elimination,meaning 2nd rd
Amongst the the things they dont have this year is a player like Watson,a D guy like Cook,not Sefton and goalie like Houser,toss in guys like Knight,Mckegg and Names
The talent gulf amongst teams is slim,tighter then last yr,the only way I see the Knights
getting to the league finals with this group is if other teams do the work for them,in other words beat each other up and London picks up the pieces
It must be the fan in you speaking not the hockey guy I greatly respect,hey thats ok
I have been known to do the same on more then one occassion sometimes not easy
to admit
I am not saying the Knights are not talented,I just think they blew it at the trade deadline,they could had Trochek,kept Baille as a 3rd goaile,afterall Owen Sd did it
hopefully I will be proven right,if not I know I wont hear the end of it

Old
02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
You're probably right. Come playoff time, the Hunters always have this team ready and hopefully they've figured out their #1 goalie by then and don't continue to swap. One of the goalies grabbing the net for good would solve a lot of problems for everyone. I still can't see another team winning a best of 7 against London but recent play from Plymouth and SSM might say different. This is where finishing first overall in the O is huge. Last year London avoided playing Plymouth and Kitchener both in the playoffs which was big (no disrespect to Saginaw). Had Plymouth finished first last year, London would have had a much tougher road to the Memorial Cup. Gotta nail this down with few home games lheft.
Looking like the Knights will be meeting the Spirit in the first round. (Sorry we won't get to knock the Spits out again but looks good on them) The Knights will have their hands full with the Spirit. A hard working, well-coached team. Kinda wish the Knights had a coach like Gilbert. Hope the Knights go with Stolarz as the #1 in the playoffs, and Hunter stops messing around and goes with the lines that have worked this season. (Broadurst-Griffith-Domi, Horvat-Rupert-Rupert, and Tierney-Anderson-Welychka)

Old
02-17-2013, 10:40 AM
aresknights

Maybe wishful thinking on your part HL

Calling the lack of a big move arrogant? Arrogance is what i see from Rychel. Thinking he had enough to make a splashthis year then sitting on his hands waiting for it to get better. Then actually adding to his team at the deadline.
Maybe the price was too high for the one or two players Mark targeted? Maybe others offered more. I wanted Mark to add but he didn't. I really don't think he sat there and said were so much better than everyone so we dont need it.
I see it as be thought he had a good shot this year, and a great shot next year. I also believe he did target one F, was told Bo has to go the other way so he rightfully said no. Glad he did.

Even without adding the F I wanted, he held tight and didn't make moves for the sake of doing so, going laterally and giving up youth. Smart not arrogant.
Mermis and Stolarz both added and will be around next year for a Cup run regardless of location.
I still think they got as good a shot as any1. They may not win it all but they are right there. Every team in the west has weaknesses. I think ours are fewer and less pronounced

Old
02-17-2013, 10:42 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
To say the Knights are the best team in the league by far is a stretch,every team in the west got better at the trade deadline,except Erie and Saginaw,though Saginaw has shown they did not need Trochek as much as some felt,going with 2 rookie tenders with
zero playoff experience,not adding another scorer,was arrogance on behalf of the Hunters and hopefully they will be taught a lesson by ways of an early elimination,meaning 2nd rd
Amongst the the things they dont have this year is a player like Watson,a D guy like Cook,not Sefton and goalie like Houser,toss in guys like Knight,Mckegg and Names
The talent gulf amongst teams is slim,tighter then last yr,the only way I see the Knights
getting to the league finals with this group is if other teams do the work for them,in other words beat each other up and London picks up the pieces
It must be the fan in you speaking not the hockey guy I greatly respect,hey thats ok
I have been known to do the same on more then one occassion sometimes not easy
to admit
I am not saying the Knights are not talented,I just think they blew it at the trade deadline,they could had Trochek,kept Baille as a 3rd goaile,afterall Owen Sd did it
hopefully I will be proven right,if not I know I wont hear the end of it
Looking down the rosters I feel London has the most depth. Therefore I'll give them the nod as the best team in the OHL. Yes other teams in the West got better..but one could argue there isn't a team in the OHL that can counter London's top 12 depth and defensive depth if everything is meshing properly. It's not arrogance on my part nor is that what you hinted at(maybe Hunter feels the same way I do..confidence is a much better word)..it's logic. Any team can win on any given night...that doesn't change at all..I just feel moving forward London is still the team to beat. Have teams closed the gap?...most certainly...but London I believe still holds the edge over anyone when you compare rosters.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:43 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
Looking like the Knights will be meeting the Spirit in the first round. (Sorry we won't get to knock the Spits out again but looks good on them) The Knights will have their hands full with the Spirit. A hard working, well-coached team. Kinda wish the Knights had a coach like Gilbert. Hope the Knights go with Stolarz as the #1 in the playoffs, and Hunter stops messing around and goes with the lines that have worked this season. (Broadurst-Griffith-Domi, Horvat-Rupert-Rupert, and Tierney-Anderson-Welychka)
Yes now that u wont have to beat the Spits again,maybe the knights will win the mem cup,after last yr lumping in the mem cup final,afterall when the spits beat the knights they went on to win everything,knights cant say the same thing
But then again the only time the knights won the mem cup it was on home ice,unlike Windsor X2,which is probably why the knights will get awarded the hosting next yr,have not proven they can win it on the road,league will feel sorry for them

Old
02-17-2013, 10:46 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Looking down the rosters I feel London has the most depth. Therefore I'll give them the nod as the best team in the OHL. Yes other teams in the West got better..but one could argue there isn't a team in the OHL that can counter London's top 12 depth and defensive depth if everything is meshing properly. It's not arrogance on my part nor was that hinted at(maybe Hunter feels the same way I do)..it's logic. Any team can win on any given night...that doesn't change at all..I just feel moving forward London is still the team to beat. Have teams closed the gap?...most certainly...but London I believe still holds the edge over anyone when you compare rosters.
Alot of what u say is correct except in goal,if Houser was there then different story
but 2 rookies with no playoff experience is suicidal

Old
02-17-2013, 10:47 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Alot of what u say is correct except in goal,if Houser was there then different story
but 2 rookies with no playoff experience is suicidal
Still one OA spot open...and Houser is protected. Can you clarify that rule...can London add him at any time?

If London plays to their potential neither of their goaltenders will be relied on to win them games...they just have to stop one more than the guy 200 ft down the ice.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Still one OA spot open...and Houser is protected. Can you clarify that rule...can London add him at any time?
I could be wrong but I thought the Knights had to have him rostered and signed by

Feb 15/13

There was/is a rule stating a player could be signed if among the 50 player list

by Feb 15 except for 16 year old USA players they had to be signed by Dec 31

Also do you know if Houser is on the 25 player list for playoffs submitted at the trade

deadline

Old
02-17-2013, 10:54 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

If London plays to their potential neither of their goaltenders will be relied on to win them games...they just have to stop one more than the guy 200 ft down the ice.
As much as I loathe to say it but if Plymouth plays to their offensive power

and their goalie makes 1 more save then anybody else the same applies

I do think they have the best 9 forwards in the league,but their goaltending might

be the weakest amongst layoff teams

Old
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
sbrug

Quote:
Looking down the rosters I feel London has the most depth. Therefore I'll give them the nod as the best team in the OHL. Yes other teams in the West got better..but one could argue there isn't a team in the OHL that can counter London's top 12 depth and defensive depth if everything is meshing properly. It's not arrogance on my part nor is that what you hinted at(maybe Hunter feels the same way I do..confidence is a much better word)..it's logic. Any team can win on any given night...that doesn't change at all..I just feel moving forward London is still the team to beat. Have teams closed the gap?...most certainly...but London I believe still holds the edge over anyone when you compare rosters.
Yep, this is why teams like Owen Sound and Kitchener don't scare me as much as others. Kitchener still lacks a second line center and a shutdown D, while OS lacks depth in general and have a hard time matching up with London, not to mention getting outcoached by the Hunters, IMO.

London has all of the tools when things are clicking, goaltending could be a problem but I'm hoping/believing that will sort itself out.

As for not adding this year, I don't care that they didn't do anything big because it would have cost them probably a Welychka or Elie type seeing as how they had no '96 to dangle like Plymouth and Kitchener did. It looks like next season is where London will truly go for it with trades. they will have picks and a '97 first rounder (something Windsor won't have) to offer in deals on an already solid looking team.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:12 AM
aresknights

I also thought the 15th of Feb as well and posted earlier in the year. but it would be nice to have it clarified.

HL you often mentioned they "lumped"it last year in the Memorial Cup. C'mon on now, OT loss in finals to the host who beat every team there.
What do you call what Windsor has done since winning the lottery, having back to back great drafts.( a lil lucky as well-20 teams passing on Ellis) 2 draft classes and then terrible mismanaging their teams and drafts. ( they traded away a chance at a three peat before the year started and then compound it by trying to add that same year? Overvaluing your team evry year since? Getting caught cheating?selling ur fan base on a PO team, then crapping the bed? Promising changes in Nov, only to stand pat? The lack of player development in recent years?
If the Knights were lumping it, I'd love to hear your adjective to describe what the Spits have done recently.
Glad we got Mark running the show instead of the once lucky Rychel and Co.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I also thought the 15th of Feb as well and posted earlier in the year. but it would be nice to have it clarified.

HL you often mentioned they "lumped"it last year in the Memorial Cup. C'mon on now, OT loss in finals to the host who beat every team there.
What do you call what Windsor has done since winning the lottery, having back to back great drafts.( a lil lucky as well-20 teams passing on Ellis) 2 draft classes and then terrible mismanaging their teams and drafts. ( they traded away a chance at a three peat before the year started and then compound it by trying to add that same year? Overvaluing your team evry year since? Getting caught cheating?selling ur fan base on a PO team, then crapping the bed? Promising changes in Nov, only to stand pat? The lack of player development in recent years?
If the Knights were lumping it, I'd love to hear your adjective to describe what the Spits have do e recently.
I was debating whether to type a reply to this clown but you summed it up perfectly ares. Saved me the time that would probably just be wasted. He could only hope the Spits make it back to the Memorial Cup.
Legend, I thought your game wasn't slinging the mud?
If you are who was implied a few months ago, I can see why you were canned.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:27 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

If the Knights were lumping it, I'd love to hear your adjective to describe what the Spits have do e recently.
Yes,London lost to the host team,a team that got knocked out in the 2nd rd of their playoffs,and all the Knights could do was score 1 goal with their vaunted offense,had all the momentum going to the final game, and their rope a dope style came back to haunt them
You can talk about Windsor luck at the table all u want draft is a crapshoot all the time,win some losesome
As for the 3rd run Spits original plan was to rebuild which was the reason they traded Shugg and Cantin,then the season began things were pretty tight so they went for it and finshed in the final 4,hardly a flub year,plus they got to the final
4 without Hall and Fowler who graduated early
I am pretty sure a team with Hall,Fowler,Shugg and Cantin would have knocked off
Owen Sd
So last yr was the rebuilding year,finshed 8th like the Knights did the year before,and that was with trading Kunhackl,campbell, and Koko getting hurt and missing the last 12 games plus playoffs
This year went off the rails,drafting not an issue,the unexpected loss of koko,
and the underwheilming performance of many players
The last yr 2 drafting can be puti into question,talking 2010 and 2011 not this past but stuff happens
At the end of the day I will take 2 mem cups in 7 years instead of 1 in 12 anyday
And we all know if u are cheating u are trying
Besides games are won on the ice not the boardroom,best team on paper does not
always win

Old
02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I was debating whether to type a reply to this clown but you summed it up perfectly ares. Saved me the time that would probably just be wasted. He could only hope the Spits make it back to the Memorial Cup.
Legend, I thought your game wasn't slinging the mud?
If you are who was implied a few months ago, I can see why you were canned.
Win a Mem cup on the road maybe u will get respect name caller

Old
02-17-2013, 11:30 AM
aresknights

HL is fine, no worries here. Fun going back n forth without it getting serious.

Hes just finding an outlet for his teams disappointing season and the Knights are an easy target just as the Spits are for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.
And when the knights do get another OHL ring before the Spits do, he'll be the first to say congrats and enjoy his crow

Old
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
HL is fine, no worries here. Fun going back n forth without it getting serious.

Hes just finding an outlet for his teams disappointing season and the Knights are an easy target just as the Spits are for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.
And when the knights do get another OHL ring before the Spits do, he'll be the first to say congrats and enjoy his crow
Yes all good between us,as for the other guy no class

Old
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:

If the Knights were lumping it, I'd love to hear your adjective to describe what the Spits have done recently.
The Knights best player was gift wrapped to them in the draft so I wouldn't be talking about Windsor getting lucky.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Win a Mem cup on the road maybe u will get respect name caller
Respect from who? Windsor? Why would we care?
Memorial Cup, 2 OHL titles and lots of presidents trophies. Next year's team will probably be better than this years. I'm sure the Knights have lots of respect from people that matter.
Enjoy watching the playoffs

Old
02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
The Knights best player was gift wrapped to them in the draft so I wouldn't be talking about Windsor getting lucky.
Haha and that's never happened in Spits land?

Old
02-17-2013, 12:27 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Griffith was gift wrapped in the 4th round?
The Knights are stocked with great draft picks. No luck there, just hard work. Rychel should take some notes.
Too bad the Spits are losing a top 4 pick this year. Could have been another Taylor Hall

Old
02-17-2013, 12:29 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Griffith was gift wrapped in the 4th round?
The Knights are stocked with great draft picks. No luck there, just hard work. Rychel should take some notes.
Too bad the Spits are losing a top 4 pick this year. Could have been another Taylor Hall
Domi > Griffith

Old
02-17-2013, 12:31 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Domi > Griffith
3 second round picks is gift wrapped? When I get gifts I'm not paying anything

Old
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Domi > Griffith
The Knights gave up what, 3 2nds for Domi? Didn't Windsor do the same for Ebert and Bateman? It's not the Knights fault that didn't work out for the Spits

Old
02-17-2013, 12:35 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Depends on who you ask. Domi to me isn't the Knights best player..Horvat is..hands down. Domi is top 5...I actually wouldn't even rank him #2..that would go to Harrington. Gift wrapped is a stretch...anyone before Kingston could have taken him and reaped the same return. Unless you were under a rock you knew he wasn't reporting to Kingston and London would be paying the ransom to get him.

Closed Thread