Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Swedish laws open door for NHL players in SEL

Old
08-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
SEL closes the door to locked out NHL players

statement from Hockeyligan about NHL lockout: http://www.hockeyligan.se/artikel/24754/

no short term contracts, must play full season if contracted.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 08-23-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
statement from Hockeyligan about NHL lockout: http://www.hockeyligan.se/artikel/24754/

no short term contracts, must play full season if contracted.
Great opportunity for Allsvenskan and especially DIF.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:08 AM
joe89

I think they should've allowed up to 2 short term players per team, but I understand if some clubs didn't want that.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:34 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
SEL closes the door to locked out NHL players

The board of the Swedish Elite League today took an unanimous decision that if the NHL lockout becomes a reality, players from the NHL that may be available for short term contracts will not be allowed to play in the SEL.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
There could still be loopholes. An NHL club could possibly "loan" a player to a team here, or an NHL player might sign with an SEL club "for the whole season" and "agree to terminate the contract due to [whatever]" when the lockout is over. The loan option seems the most appealing to me. I'm sure if Erik Karlsson asked nicely, Ottawa would have no problem "assigning" him to Frölunda.

Personally, I hope that some teams do find a way around the ban. The lockout is projected to just span over a couple of months, rights? A couple of months. A short lockout wouldn't really hurt the precious "development of Swedish hockey" a whole lot, me thinks.

Also, the teams who think they already have a "good product" can if they wish just not sign any NHLers, and let teams that do want to strengthen their roster a bit do that. Problem solved. The "good product" thing is just spy-talk for, "Well, we don't have any good NHLers to bring home so we're going to try to screw over teams like Modo and Frölunda."

Last edited by Systemfel: 08-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Ferros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
There could still be loopholes. An NHL club could possibly "loan" a player to a team here, or an NHL player might sign with an SEL club "for the whole season" and "agree to terminate the contract due to [whatever]" when the lockout is over. The loan option seems the most appealing to me. I'm sure if Erik Karlsson asked nicely, Ottawa would have no problem "assigning" him to Frölunda.

Personally, I hope that some teams do find a way around the ban. The lockout is projected to just span over a couple of months, rights? A couple of months. A short lockout wouldn't really hurt the precious "development of Swedish hockey" a whole lot, me thinks.

Also, the teams who think they already have a "good product" can if they wish just not sign any NHLers, and let teams that do want to strengthen their roster a bit do that. Problem solved. The "good product" thing is just spy-talk for, "Well, we don't have any good NHLers to bring home so we're going to try to screw over teams like Modo and Frölunda."
I don't think they agreed to this to "screw over" certain clubs. Most clubs would be able to get some good players to their team and the Sedins already said that they wouldn't play in Modo if it was just a short lockout.

It's quite obvious that they did this so teams wouldn't sign expensive short-term contracts that then would force other teams to sign expensive short-term contracts to be able to keep up.

My guess is that this decision is 100% about not putting the teams long term finances in jeopardy because of players that would just spend a few months in the teams. It could be a scenario that for example Erik Karlsson, since you mentioned him, would sign a deal with Frölunda where he plays almost for free/for free. Then some other teams are forced to spend a lot money to get an equivalent of Karlsson if they want to keep up with Frölunda, this could very well be the case for teams like AIK, Växjö and Rögle that could end up fighting for the last playoff spots together with Frölunda. How would that be fair? At least it is the same for everyone as it is now and that's why I think that this is the right decision by the league - even though I would have loved to get Omark, Nilsson and maybe even Justin Williams back to Luleå.

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:13 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
I don't think they agreed to this to "screw over" certain clubs. Most clubs would be able to get some good players to their team and the Sedins already said that they wouldn't play in Modo if it was just a short lockout.

It's quite obvious that they did this so teams wouldn't sign expensive short-term contracts that then would force other teams to sign expensive short-term contracts to be able to keep up.

My guess is that this decision is 100% about not putting the teams long term finances in jeopardy because of players that would just spend a few months in the teams. It could be a scenario that for example Erik Karlsson, since you mentioned him, would sign a deal with Frölunda where he plays almost for free/for free. Then some other teams are forced to spend a lot money to get an equivalent of Karlsson if they want to keep up with Frölunda, this could very well be the case for teams like AIK, Växjö and Rögle that could end up fighting for the last playoff spots together with Frölunda. How would that be fair? At least it is the same for everyone as it is now and that's why I think that this is the right decision by the league - even though I would have loved to get Omark, Nilsson and maybe even Justin Williams back to Luleå.
Well, how would EK be any different to when Forsberg played for Modo for free during stretches? It's an open market and the SEL has no salary cap. Technically Frölunda(as the example) could bring in any player at any time(to 31th Jan), any season. And as long as the player insists, virtually for free. Those are the rules.

I respect the decision because I think they're right that it takes away a job for somebody else, especially for youngsters looking up. But I think they could've been a bit more generous and allow a couple of players per team. Two players per team would not hurt anybody, especially since teams are looking to add players well into the season nowadays. I'm pretty sure Zäta's motive for playing with TIK wouldn't be money, likewise any player tightly connected with a club since before. Sponsors would jump all over paying for the insurance costs to bring home a player like that. Not to mention the amount of money new casual fans, better attendance(for every team) and merchandise sales would bring in. You don't need to bring everybody home and risk the fundamentals to drastically increase the interest. As a neutral fan to Elitserien I can assure that my interest would've skyrocketed with just a handful of stars league-wide.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:19 AM
Finnpin

I really hope SM-Liiga makes same decision, though if the lockout is reality seeing Selänne back in Jokerit jersey would be epic.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Ferros

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Well, how would EK be any different to when Forsberg played for Modo for free during stretches? It's an open market and the SEL has no salary cap. Technically Frölunda(as the example) could bring in any player at any time(to 31th Jan), any season. And as long as the player insists, virtually for free. Those are the rules.
It really isn't the same, this is a special case and that's why they made this decision.

Quote:
I respect the decision because I think they're right that it takes away a job for somebody else, especially for youngsters looking up. But I think they could've been a bit more generous and allow a couple of players per team. Two players per team would not hurt anybody, especially since teams are looking to add players well into the season nowadays. I'm pretty sure Zäta's motive for playing with TIK wouldn't be money, likewise any player tightly connected with a club since before. Sponsors would jump all over paying for the insurance costs to bring home a player like that. Not to mention the amount of money new casual fans, better attendance(for every team) and merchandise sales would bring in. You don't need to bring everybody home and risk the fundamentals to drastically increase the interest. As a neutral fan to Elitserien I can assure that my interest would've skyrocketed with just a handful of stars league-wide.
I understand where you are coming from and from a casual fan-perspective that would probably have been the best choice.

For me it's mostly about the short-term contract, if it would have been a whole season I could understand if they would let the teams get NHL-players but I would also have liked to see some kind of cap. Maybe even some kind of salary cap that could be for each individual NHL-player or based on how much you are allowed to spend in total on all the NHL-players.

My main point was that this decision wasn't to "screw over" a certain club, it was for the good of the league long-term.

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Tomas W

Maybe one or maximum two per team NHL could have been be allowed? Maybe the negative and unfair effect would not be that big if so. But more than that would disrupt the season.

Allsvenskan will probably get some of those NHL instead. I really hope there will at least be some limitations there as well.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:32 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
It really isn't the same, this is a special case and that's why they made this decision.

I understand where you are coming from and from a casual fan-perspective that would probably have been the best choice.

For me it's mostly about the short-term contract, if it would have been a whole season I could understand if they would let the teams get NHL-players but I would also have liked to see some kind of cap. Maybe even some kind of salary cap that could be for each individual NHL-player or based on how much you are allowed to spend in total on all the NHL-players.

My main point was that this decision wasn't to "screw over" a certain club, it was for the good of the league long-term.
I think the short-term only makes the need for limitations more important, so you don't leave holes in the league mid-season. Like I said, teams constantly seek players heading into the deadline. Teams also sign artist contracts and other very short-term solutions on a regular basis. I see little downfall with having two short-term stars even if it's just until christmas. Spots that are usually filled by panic moves anyway. It'd lift the darkest months of hockey a lot and the league's long-term wellbeing wouldn't be at stake with a quota that small.

I think it will look stupid when good Swedish/Foreign players sign in Allsvenskan or Switzerland instead. That's a no-win.

Old
08-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Yabob

The league already have a rule that says players must sign contracts that last to the end of the season. This was just a confirmation that it applies in this situation as well.

Also, I'm not sure if the NHL teams are actually allowed to reassign any players if there is a lockout. But all the SEL teams agreed on this one, so no one should be interested in trying to find away around this.

Last edited by Yabob: 08-24-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
The league already have a rule that says players must sign contracts that last to the end of the season. This was just a confirmation that it applies in this situation as well.
I hadn't even heard of that rule until yesterday, and I've never seen it being enforced. Frölunda signed Christoph Schubert to a three-month contract in 2010. Färjestad signed Hannes Hyvönen to a 40-day contract in 2011.

Hockeyligan is a bit funny when it comes to transactions regulations. In 2006, Färjestad was allowed to sign Nik Tselios after the January 31 deadline had passed.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:55 AM
Theokritos

If KHL, SM-Liiga etc follow the Swedish example, the German DEL is bound to become the new NHL for a couple of months. Or the Swiss NLA if they except lockout-players from foreigner restrictions.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:03 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
If KHL, SM-Liiga etc follow the Swedish example, the German DEL is bound to become the new NHL for a couple of months. Or the Swiss NLA if they except lockout-players from foreigner restrictions.
KHL wil adopt new rules as well. Maybe club can sign 2-3 NHLers for WHOLE SEASON. It is not possible to sign short-term deals in KHL, minimum lenght is one season.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:42 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
If there's indications the lockout cuts short I doubt many players will even bother to go to Europe, but it's gonna be interesting to see. The Swedish second tier has not made its decision yet(they're a league on their own), I think they'll probably let a couple of guys per team in. A few NHL players here and there in that league would help the attendance and interest a lot, maybe even make it as interesting as the SEL for a few months. I don't think they'll pass on that chance.

Old
08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Yabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
I hadn't even heard of that rule until yesterday, and I've never seen it being enforced. Frölunda signed Christoph Schubert to a three-month contract in 2010. Färjestad signed Hannes Hyvönen to a 40-day contract in 2011.

Hockeyligan is a bit funny when it comes to transactions regulations. In 2006, Färjestad was allowed to sign Nik Tselios after the January 31 deadline had passed.
That crossed my mind to, but they talk about it as it's something that already existed. A new rule, that had already been decided on, for this season perhaps?

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
joe89

http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/nyheter/k9n9v7xv8e

And Allsvenskan.

So where do you think Swedes will play in winter?

Last edited by joe89: 09-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old
09-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Hockeyfrilla

hah what a circus. So Tingsryd will let OEL play anyway and the league will fine them if they do. DIF, VIK, Mora, SSK and TAIF is working together to get NHL players in the league..

Old
09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Dosing

Wonder if the league can demote them if it goes to far, would conjure a good laughter seeing DIF in division 1

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Hockeyfrilla

that was fast. HockeyAllsvenskan will now allow NHL players: http://hockeysverige.se/article/1350...or-nhl-spelare

Old
09-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Which is BAD for swedish hockey. Leagues shouldnt be allowed to decide this by themself. UNITY.

Imagine Kvalserien if only one side has nhl-imports, not fair at all. (If the lockout is still on then)

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
Which is BAD for swedish hockey. Leagues shouldnt be allowed to decide this by themself. UNITY.

Imagine Kvalserien if only one side has nhl-imports, not fair at all. (If the lockout is still on then)
If the lockout is still going on by April, the Elitserien teams will have NHL players too. Actually the Elitserien teams would be favored in the end because they got the economic muscles to sign foreign players aswell. Last date for a NHL season to start should be somewhere around Jan/Feb.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:57 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
If the lockout is still going on by April, the Elitserien teams will have NHL players too. Actually the Elitserien teams would be favored in the end because they got the economic muscles to sign foreign players aswell. Last date for a NHL season to start should be somewhere around Jan/Feb.
Still a funny situation. The worst SEL teams might possible be more frantic to sign NHL:ers than the better ones in the end; if those SEL bottom feeders are threatened with facing stacked teams in the Kvalserie.

Anyway, I have nothing against NHL players in SEL as long as the whole teams are not filled with them.

Btw Edler in Östersund could be fun to see too, not many other teams who can bolster any reinforcements there.

Last edited by LiveeviL: 09-16-2012 at 02:06 AM.
LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:00 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Still a funny situation. The worst SEL teams might possible be more frantic to sign NHL:ers than the better ones in the end; if those SEL bottom feeders are threatened with facing stacked teams in the Kvalserie.

Anyway, I have nothing against NHL players in SEL as long as the whole teams are not filled with them.

Btw Edler in Östersund could be fun to see too, not many other teams who can bolster any reinforcements there.
All true. With our youngsters being sent down to the AHL, it's not like we're talking about some massive invasion imo. I imagine maybe 15 Swedish NHLers would be willing to sign right away, i.e. a bit more than one per team on average. By my count we have around 35 swedes that could become available to play in Sweden during a lockout. Let's say maybe 25 guys in Elitserien and then another 10 in Allsvenskan during a full-season lockout. That's about how many NHLers we have left when you remove the ELC players(34 guys sent to the AHL) from the equation. Would that be so bad? For who? The North American quotas are already filled and the other foreigners have their own leagues to go to.