HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Thread #4: Tentative agreement!

View Poll Results: Will there be a short nhl season this year
Yes 49 43.36%
No 64 56.64%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
**** you too Horcoff. If the Oilers remain intact after all this ends, I hope this loser is Souray'd.
What an idiot

"Iíve been fortunate enough to play long enough now where Iíve built security into my life and my family," he said. "For me, itís just a matter of doing whatís right for the union and right for the players and just letting this thing play out."

Right there he tells the world the decertification process is a sham. Bet this quote gets used in court.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:38 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Here's an article from forbes titled The NHL's Best Hope: Contraction
Its four days old and it goes through which teams are actually struggling using numbers, it also suggest a smaller league may be a healthier league, i wouldn't mind a smaller league the article says 20 teams. I was thinking 24 to start. Unfortunatly this will most likely not happen not yet anyway

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanri...e-contraction/
I still question if a 20 team league gets as much revenue on advertisement, tv deals etc... As much as 30 sucks, the more teams the bigger the deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
The Devils are probably one of the teams that is hurt the most by the lockout. They had a huge wave of momentum after the playoffs last year and now its sunk.
Ya, that was the talk last year going into the summer. Between this and losing Parise it could be very bad for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Our captain, folks. Our captain...
I find it funny how pissed people are at Horcoff, it's really just another excuse to be mad at him, but it's not like he's the only guy with this opinion.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:10 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

I find it funny how pissed people are at Horcoff, it's really just another excuse to be mad at him, but it's not like he's the only guy with this opinion.
Just because other idiots share that opinion, that doesn't make Horcoff any less of an idiot for stating that opinion.
It's hilarious that he can state from his lofty perch that he can afford to go through a lengthy process of posturing while many of his fellow union members aren't so lucky and say that he is just doing this for the union, i'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have this opinion if he was paid like a 4th liner. If anything, he's one of the biggest beneficiaries of Bettman's "slave" system.
If i was a 3rd-4th liner making 3rd-4th line money, i would have a word with Mr. Horcoff but of course, those guys aren't allowed to state their opinions thanks to their Fehrless leader.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
doulos

What did you guys expect him to say?

He HAS to say these things since the players need to keep a united front regarding decertification etc, if they want to have any chance of winning in the courts. I want the players to get totally taken to the cleaners (and they will) but expecting Horcoff to say anything other than what he said is completely naive.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post

He HAS to say these things since the players need to keep a united front regarding decertification etc, if they want to have any chance of winning in the courts. I want the players to get totally taken to the cleaners (and they will) but expecting Horcoff to say anything other than what he said is completely naive.
How about nothing?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:24 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Can't see any judge in the free world agreeing to that.
Yeah, me too.
Horc, proving once again that he has no idea what "fortunate" even means.
It's written in the Old CBA under which the contracts were signed. I would be surprised if the a judge decided they were still legal. Players are setting themselves to be taken to the cleaners and Bettman is probably loving it. If the NHL centralizes and the union disbands then they can pretty much do whatever they want to the players and not have any issues with anti trust laws.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:30 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How about nothing?
Its not like he's starting a rally and talking to anyone that will listen. Obviously the media asked him and as a representative he responded accordingly. I don't see how what he said is in anyway controversial.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:27 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Its not like he's starting a rally and talking to anyone that will listen. Obviously the media asked him and as a representative he responded accordingly. I don't see how what he said is in anyway controversial.
Responded accordingly?

Not even close.

How about "no comment" or "we are continuing to focus on bringing a resolution to this disagreement so we can get back to playing hockey"?

That would be responding accordingly.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
What if one of the wealthiest owners came out and say this? "I have made enough money in my career/life that I have no problem prolonging this process to get what we want & seeing players lose a yr of their earnings so i can do whats right for my fellow owners in the league."

Fans, medias & players are all going to rip this owner in to pieces for saying it!

Old
12-18-2012, 11:55 AM
ThePhoenixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Just because other idiots share that opinion, that doesn't make Horcoff any less of an idiot for stating that opinion.
It's hilarious that he can state from his lofty perch that he can afford to go through a lengthy process of posturing while many of his fellow union members aren't so lucky and say that he is just doing this for the union, i'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have this opinion if he was paid like a 4th liner. If anything, he's one of the biggest beneficiaries of Bettman's "slave" system.
If i was a 3rd-4th liner making 3rd-4th line money, i would have a word with Mr. Horcoff but of course, those guys aren't allowed to state their opinions thanks to their Fehrless leader.
A great many "little people" derive their livelihood from NHL hockey.

A great many charities are hurting as well.

Who cares? Not Shawn Horcoff.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
PigeonCamera

This!

Quote:
How about nothing?
Horc, for heaven's sake, shut the eff up. I have supported him for ages, but I'm sooooo tired of this guy.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

how come the only people yapping at the moment are overpaid players lucky to cash in their enormous cheques?

Hainsy, "no employment" Campoli, and now Horc

the next time Shawn picks up his paycheck from Katz, he'll be wearing a ski mask and toting a handgun

Old
12-18-2012, 01:22 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
What if one of the wealthiest owners came out and say this? "I have made enough money in my career/life that I have no problem prolonging this process to get what we want & seeing players lose a yr of their earnings so i can do whats right for my fellow owners in the league."

Fans, medias & players are all going to rip this owner in to pieces for saying it!
The owners can't say anything all they are all muzzled

Old
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Perhaps Fehr should have done the same with the players.
Nothing good has come from any player tweets, doesn't help the process one bit.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
It's written in the Old CBA under which the contracts were signed. I would be surprised if the a judge decided they were still legal. Players are setting themselves to be taken to the cleaners and Bettman is probably loving it. If the NHL centralizes and the union disbands then they can pretty much do whatever they want to the players and not have any issues with anti trust laws.
This is completly false.

If the union disbands the idea is that the anti-trust exemptions granted to the NHL would be void, they would have to negotiate with each player individually without the rules or confines of the CBA.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Perhaps Fehr should have done the same with the players.
Nothing good has come from any player tweets, doesn't help the process one bit.
Except the NHLPA has to lead via the will of the majority, its one of Fehr's major tenants and is why as many players as possible have been invited and involved in the process.

Telling them they can't voice or tweet would probably run contrary to that strategy.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
doulos

Quote:
Responded accordingly?

Not even close.

How about "no comment" or "we are continuing to focus on bringing a resolution to this disagreement so we can get back to playing hockey"?

That would be responding accordingly.
Too ambiguous. His job as a senior member of the NHLPA is to tow the company line and make comments that further their cause. Saying nothing is not acceptable from an NHLPA perspective.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
how come the only people yapping at the moment are overpaid players lucky to cash in their enormous cheques?

Hainsy, "no employment" Campoli, and now Horc

the next time Shawn picks up his paycheck from Katz, he'll be wearing a ski mask and toting a handgun
Because they were asked by their peers to represent them, what does their contract status have to do with anything?

Shouldn't it be the opposite, aren't guys like Hainsey and Campoli taking huge risks with their future earnings to take a heavy part in this process.

Doesn't that in itself say something about the NHLPA position?

Old
12-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
How about nothing?
Exactly.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Because they were asked by their peers to represent them, what does their contract status have to do with anything?

Shouldn't it be the opposite, aren't guys like Hainsey and Campoli taking huge risks with their future earnings to take a heavy part in this process.

Doesn't that in itself say something about the NHLPA position?
Gee, I thought Dubnyk was one of the Oiler player representatives? I wonder why he has kept a muzzle on?

I've also heard that moderates like Iginla etc. have been purposefully kept out of the processs because they are the ones that see the bigger picture, which others like Horcoff obviously don't.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
How about nothing?
I am so glad that RNH, Eberle, and Hall have had the good sense to keep their mouths shut about the lockout.

It's nearly impossible for a professional athlete to come off as anything but an entitled d-bag when they wade into the public discussion. The only exception to this, that I've seen so far, is Andy McDonald.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Qrispy

"We just want to play."

Old
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
"We just want to play."

Fans: "We just want to pay."

Old
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
This is completly false.

If the union disbands the idea is that the anti-trust exemptions granted to the NHL would be void, they would have to negotiate with each player individually without the rules or confines of the CBA.
And if they effectively become one employer and establish a salary grid? (just like any other employer out there)

With the amount of revenue sharing going on, it wouldn't be that difficult to restructure as a single entity, assigning pro-rata shares to the owners based on franchise value.

The fact that there are professional leagues in other countries that HAVE and DO attract players from North America to play there would absolve them of "monopoly" arguments.

In this scenario, the only thing that could save the players is a group of rival owners starting a new league. That isn't out of the realm of possibility, but somewhat unlikely that said new league could/would pay them more. Especially if you even remotely buy the argument that there are economic problems in the league that need fixing.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
this should be the case with the players as well.... horcoff came off like a complete tool in these quotes, a complete and utter moron to be honest... just don't say anything, and do us all a favor

Closed Thread