HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Dustin Byfuglien to the Islanders

Old
01-15-2016, 08:29 AM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 557
Dustin Byfuglien to the Islanders

Pardon me if this has been discussed before.

What is Winnipeg looking for for Dustin?

I believe he could be a fit for the Islanders at the deadline.

TheIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Would be perfect.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Really depends on the health of Boychuck and Hamonic. Can Buff play Left D?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 09:00 AM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

I don't really want him that bad. I'd take him, but I wouldn't target him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 09:02 AM
hockeykicker

Depends on how long buff is out. Injury looked bad yesterday

hockeykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Puts the Jets in a rough spot.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Really depends on the health of Boychuck and Hamonic. Can Buff play Left D?
I agree. I don't see the Isles as a landing place for Buff unless Boychuck or Hamonic are out long-term, and even then it depends on how much the Isles feel that they want to be buyers to try a deep playoff run this season. I suppose they will want to be buyers one of these years while Tavares is in his prime, and now that they've moved to Brooklyn (to enhance their following in NYC). There will be other suitors in the East that might be more seriously interested in Buff. I wonder if the Isles might actually be more interested in Ladd for a playoff run this season. He's behind his scoring pace from previous years (has been playing with young players to boost the 3rd line recently), but is still 26th in scoring among LW (only 2 points less than Rick Nash). He's got leadership and Stanley Cup experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
Coach Maurice said Buff was traveling with the Jets for the game today with the Wild, which suggests that the injury isn't too serious or long-term.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:20 AM
hockeyarena
is a great game

Hamonic and a 1st? Hamonic and a forward? Tough to gauge the return on Buff, feel like they could get a lot for him though.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:23 AM
xECK29x

Buff would be an awesome add, but I don't see Garth trading major assets for him, nor do I think the Isles would be interested in signing him to anything longer then a 5 year deal at less then 6 per. But I really think he would bring such a dynamic that we need, and the flexability to play him at both F and D would help us out big time.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:24 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyarena View Post
Hamonic and a 1st? Hamonic and a forward? Tough to gauge the return on Buff, feel like they could get a lot for him though.
For a signed Buff sure, maybe.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:26 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 2348
Quote:
The Isles wouldn't be adding to Hamonic with Buff being a UFA. If Buff was signed, sure, he's worth more than Hamonic, but not as a UFA. Hamonic is on a good contract.

Probably Buff + for Hamonic. The plus would presumably be something else the Isles could use this year for a playoff run, though not necessarily a rental. Ladd is a possibility if the Isles add something going back to even things up. Burmi is another possibility.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Tpkc2

Would love to see Buff in an Islanders jersey but a new contract/extension is a must before any trade or just wait for the off season!

Tpkc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
The Isles wouldn't be adding to Hamonic with Buff being a UFA. If Buff was signed, sure, he's worth more than Hamonic, but not as a UFA. Hamonic is on a good contract.

Probably Buff + for Hamonic. The plus would presumably be something else the Isles could use this year for a playoff run, though not necessarily a rental. Ladd is a possibility if the Isles add something going back to even things up. Burmi is another possibility.
If there are still Jets fans that are delusional enough to think that they are getting Hamonic for a deal built around Buff, than I really see no need to respond. That's so profoindly ridiculous that I can rest my case with no rebuttal.

To the op, Buff would be huge, even if we have Hamonic and Boychuk.

However, in all Snow's previous rental deals, he at least went into it expect to resign the player in question. Snow hasn't traded for pure rentals in the past. Buff's likely contact demands would be a non starter.

Also, with no second in this year's draft, I'm skeptical about Snow being interested in rentals.

I agree with the above poster that Ladd would be a more likely target but I'm skeptical about that as well. He's had a meh season and we won't be able to resign him anyway.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:53 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
According to Freidman the Jets offered Big Buff for Hamonic alone and the isles said no. Shortly after that was reported, we started reading comments that the Hamonic trade talk had quieted down and no trade was expected until the summer.

I think we can move past the " Isles give up significant assets to rent Big Buff" idea. Isles are not focusing on Big Buff.We may see Hamonic staying with the NYI until the summer and Big Buff moved by the TDL.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 01-15-2016 at 11:00 AM.
CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post

Snow is not moving Hamonic for a soon to be ufa, whichBig Buff and Ladd are.

Burmi would be a sweetener. Not the main piece in a Hamonic trade

Old
01-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIslesFan View Post

Wasn't there a rumor going around Byfuglien for Hamonic and Garth Snow said he wasn't interested in Byfuglien. I could be wrong but it sounded like Snow wasn't interested in Byfuglien as a rental and doubted that he could afford to resign him at the price he wanted. I think there's more cup contenders out there then the Islanders I could see Florida or maybe Boston chasing after him.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 10:59 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIslesFan View Post

I recall that this was discussed in the Travis Hamonic threads. Some Isles fans seemed offended.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see an extended Byfuglien swapped with Hamonic at some point, unless Hamonic pulls his trade request off the table.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Huffer

I'd rather sign Buff (obviously depending on his demands), but if Buff is traded at the deadline it's going to be for futures. Hamonic makes no sense from the Islanders side. The whole Hamonic to Winnipeg angle will have to be an offseason swap if it's one at all.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Pretty sure that Garth Snow already said no to a Hamonic for Buff deal, He's not going to trade Hamonic for a pending UFA in Buff plus he wants a similar young controlled player back for Hamonic and that's not Buff. And from the sound of things it doesn't sound like Snow could afford to sign Buff for what he wants like 8 years $55 Million I know that's on the table for the Jets I guess if he goes to free agency it could be around 7x7 not sure the Islanders would do that.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 11:08 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
I recall that this was discussed in the Travis Hamonic threads. Some Isles fans seemed offended.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see an extended Byfuglien swapped with Hamonic at some point, unless Hamonic pulls his trade request off the table.
Don't know why NYI fans should be offended. Isles have no wish to trade Hamonic for a rental and Big Buff's contract demands do not seem to be to their liking.
And while you expect a Big Buff for Hamonic swap. I think we are more likely to see Myers for Hamonic if the Jets and Isles trade.

I would be very happy if things settled down for Hamonic (and his family). If he changed his mind about being traded.

Old
01-15-2016, 11:09 AM
SI90

Quote:

UFA Buff doesn't get you Hamonic alone.
Hammer is signed long term to a sweetheart deal and is a #2/3 defensman.

WPG may end up with Hamonic but it will be in a different deal

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Felix Unger

I can easily see NYI involved in a rental of Byfuglien, because I can easily see NYI attempting to roll 3 defense pairings with relatively equal icetime.

Whether there's a deal depends on (i) whether WPG can sign Byfuglien, and (ii) whether or not they can get back in the wild card race. They are only 4 points out.

At any rate it is way too early to discuss a Byfuglien to ANY team as a rental.

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
If there are still Jets fans that are delusional enough to think that they are getting Hamonic for a deal built around Buff, than I really see no need to respond. That's so profoindly ridiculous that I can rest my case with no rebuttal.

To the op, Buff would be huge, even if we have Hamonic and Boychuk.

However, in all Snow's previous rental deals, he at least went into it expect to resign the player in question. Snow hasn't traded for pure rentals in the past. Buff's likely contact demands would be a non starter.

Also, with no second in this year's draft, I'm skeptical about Snow being interested in rentals.
Sounds like Snow would be more likely to look at a dman with a year and change left. Maybe a former Islander whose cap hit is higher than his salary.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 11:56 AM
almostawake

The likely price on Byfuglien is a 1st and a prospect. The Jets will probably pick the deal that offers them the best prospect, or at least the prospect they like the most.

I took a quick look at the Islanders system and there looks to be a fair gap between the prospects that would be off the table (Dal Colle, Barzal, Pullock and Beauvillier) and the ones that would likely be on the table.

I don't really know where that leaves the Islanders if the Jets decide to auction Byfuglien.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Tpkc2

Buff would be a great fit, if the price is right;however, this team is way too soft! The top 3 lines don't hit, look at recent loses to Washington and Philly, and with Boychuk and Hammer out,the isles D is beyond soft! Not a fan of Cappy's but this falls on Snow!

Tpkc2 is offline   Reply With Quote