HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 8)

Old
01-19-2013, 12:51 PM
JaredCowenFan
PSN-3&4: SenzFan2

vCash: 500
Check these Highlight Reels out!

http://www.easports.com/player-hub/media/PS3/SenzFan2

JaredCowenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:32 PM
JumboThornton92

Here you go EA

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

I wish the lockout would have lasted the full season, got the urge to play this again. I forgot how terrible this game is.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:50 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
I wish the lockout would have lasted the full season, got the urge to play this again. I forgot how terrible this game is.
Yeah seriously. They made the goalies super human to stop the cross crease, meanwhile they fall for every stupid short side deke and instead of shooting to the far side on one timersyou just shoot back against the grain into a wide open net. And don't get me started on the poke checks.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
JumboThornton92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Yeah seriously. They made the goalies super human to stop the cross crease, meanwhile they fall for every stupid short side deke and instead of shooting to the far side on one timersyou just shoot back against the grain into a wide open net. And don't get me started on the poke checks.
NHL 13 or 12??

Old
01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Yeah, I see 50% success rate at best on not going far side on one-timers, and far side works much better on all-star difficulty.

I don't see what's so wrong with the poke check. Now you actually can't just rush your way through a defenseman or fire a pass right by them. Try playing smarter and using open lanes. You can't force your way through anymore.

It's a harder game. Adapt.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:21 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbothornton92 View Post
nhl 13 or 12??
nhl 13

Old
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
Yeah, I see 50% success rate at best on not going far side on one-timers, and far side works much better on all-star difficulty.
50% eh? That's a pretty good percentage last time I checked.

Quote:
I don't see what's so wrong with the poke check. Now you actually can't just rush your way through a defenseman or fire a pass right by them. Try playing smarter and using open lanes. You can't force your way through anymore.

It's a harder game. Adapt.
If you don't see what's wrong with the poke checks then I question your understanding of physics. First off, poke checks knock pucks off sticks and send them in the opposite direction at ridiculous rates of speed. They knock down passes at a near 100% success rate in what more closely resembles a game of ping pong. Poke checks also stop shots. No they don't just deflect them, they literally stop pucks in their tracks.

NHL 12 was far from perfect, but at least it took more skill then spamming the poke check button and calling it defense.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
It's a one-timer. You're raging about last year's game being better where one-timers scored 80% of the time, and now you're complaining that they score too much in this game? I don't see what the big issue is with it here. Seems more like you're cooking up imaginary problems to have with the game.

Quote:
If you don't see what's wrong with the poke checks then I question your understanding of physics. First off, poke checks knock pucks off sticks and send them in the opposite direction at ridiculous rates of speed. They knock down passes at a near 100% success rate in what more closely resembles a game of ping pong. Poke checks also stop shots. No they don't just deflect them, they literally stop pucks in their tracks.

NHL 12 was far from perfect, but at least it took more skill then spamming the poke check button and calling it defense.
I have never seen a pokecheck stop a shot dead in its tracks, and spamming the pokecheck still requires good positioning to be effective. I regularly burn past people who do it. If someone is standing in the middle of the passing lane, then poking or not, your pass should not get by. In an actual hockey game, if passes regularly just got fired past your defenseman while he stood in the lane for an entire game, you would be raging at him. Again, it's a harder game, adapt. If someone is standing in the passing lane, then it's NOT an open passing lane, so don't try it. NHL 12 took more skill because standing in the passing lane often accomplished nothing and it was a gamble whether or not your guy would grab the puck. People can guard passing lanes effectively now. Get used to it, rather than trying to force it through them. Try cycling, for example, or continuing to carry the puck. If you try to force old habits in what's a totally different game, then it's no wonder why you can't seem to do well.

Last edited by kdfsjljklgjfg: 01-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
They still haven't fixed shots from the bottom of the circle going in EVERY time when shot high...

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

The GM Connected loading time is atrocious. It take legit 5 minutes for it to load.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Go to Sleep
CM Vanek

NHL 13 is fun but its not AMAZING like EA Sports says it to be.

Unlike most I don't play HUT, I'm more into EASHL.

Go to Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:35 PM
CaptPantalones

Anyone have an idea when the next roster update should be out?

I refuse to start a season until they finally put Girgensons on the Amerks

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
It's a one-timer. You're raging about last year's game being better where one-timers scored 80% of the time, and now you're complaining that they score too much in this game? I don't see what the big issue is with it here. Seems more like you're cooking up imaginary problems to have with the game.
You're right man. It's realistic for the goalie to warp over to the other post leaving half the net open.

Quote:
I have never seen a pokecheck stop a shot dead in its tracks, and spamming the pokecheck still requires good positioning to be effective. I regularly burn past people who do it. If someone is standing in the middle of the passing lane, then poking or not, your pass should not get by. In an actual hockey game, if passes regularly just got fired past your defenseman while he stood in the lane for an entire game, you would be raging at him. Again, it's a harder game, adapt. If someone is standing in the passing lane, then it's NOT an open passing lane, so don't try it. NHL 12 took more skill because standing in the passing lane often accomplished nothing and it was a gamble whether or not your guy would grab the puck. People can guard passing lanes effectively now. Get used to it, rather than trying to force it through them. Try cycling, for example, or continuing to carry the puck. If you try to force old habits in what's a totally different game, then it's no wonder why you can't seem to do well.
If you think the poke check and puck/stick physics are realistic you are either delusional or it just doesn't bother you. If it doesn't bother you, that's great, but I see it every game and I want to rip my hair out. And this is coming from someone who plays exclusively as a defenseman in EASHL. Even the head developer of the game said poke checks were overpowered.

Who says I can't do well? My record is 124-37-24. I have no problem winning games, its just the way you have to play this year isn't really fun to me. This game just feels like a beta to me. The skating is OK, but the turning and the stuck in mud animation kills it. The warping goalies make this game look like an arcade game. They also took the lazy way out of stopping the cross crease. Instead of fixing what was really wrong- pucks going through sticks and skates and shot accuracy- they just tuned the goalies to warp.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/149281188

Probably the funniest hit I've ever seen while playing this game.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:25 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Fine-tuning the goalie reaction speed does the trick

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Anyone have an idea when the next roster update should be out?

I refuse to start a season until they finally put Girgensons on the Amerks
Very soon - within the next week

Old
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Fine-tuning the goalie reaction speed does the trick
If you could actually do that online you would be on to something.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Very soon - within the next week
hallelujah, maybe Blake Geoffrion will finally be taken off the Habs second line

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
JumboThornton92

EA tweeted back at me today saying this week!

Old
01-21-2013, 02:43 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/149281188

Probably the funniest hit I've ever seen while playing this game.
Haha sick moves.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
jfb392

Anyone have any tips for playing BaP defense in this game?
I have encountered three things that I find particularly challenging: the invisible bubble around the crease that makes it difficult to defend in front of your net (is there a good way to compensate for this?), auto back skating (should it be on or off and if it's off, is there a way to stay turned around without holding the button?), and the camera angle (which one doesn't completely suck for BaP D?).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Tak7

Quote:

Adapt.

Still ways to score in NHL 13.

Fact that you haven't figured it out, 3 months after release, is troubling.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Vocalcordpunch

If anyone is looking for a GM Connected League -

My PS3 GM Connected league is in the off-season. It's called "The Yards". Looking for some more GM's before we unleash into free agency. The Facebook group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/theyards/.

Many great teams available
Sim twice a week
Very active on the facebook group and in game

Vocalcordpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
A tip for cross-crease one-timers: don't always aim for the top shelf. If you think the goalie can "reach" the other side by the time you let off the shot, aim for either low blocker (likely that the goalie will be extending his blocker side to cover the top of the net) or the five hole if he had to move a long way. A big part of where to aim at should be based on the goalie animation, though. For instance, when he's going for the dive just shot low.

I used to be frustrated the same way, but now that I'm a bit smarter about my aim I don't have problems converting at a reasonable rate.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote