HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 8)

Old
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Adapt.

Still ways to score in NHL 13.

Fact that you haven't figured it out, 3 months after release, is troubling.
And why do you assume I'm struggling? I'm 124-37-24.
I have figured out how to win. It's just not realistic. Some people just want to win and don't care how it happens. I definitely like to win, but I'm a realist. This game just isn't a good representation of hockey and has taken steps back in a lot of areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
A tip for cross-crease one-timers: don't always aim for the top shelf. If you think the goalie can "reach" the other side by the time you let off the shot, aim for either low blocker (likely that the goalie will be extending his blocker side to cover the top of the net) or the five hole if he had to move a long way. A big part of where to aim at should be based on the goalie animation, though. For instance, when he's going for the dive just shot low.

I used to be frustrated the same way, but now that I'm a bit smarter about my aim I don't have problems converting at a reasonable rate.
I do shoot back towards where the pass is coming from and have good success. My whole point is it's just not realistic. If it only happened once in a while where the goalie over-committed, fine, but it happens every time.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:13 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You're right man. It's realistic for the goalie to warp over to the other post leaving half the net open.
If realism is all you're complaining about, then where in your post are you complaining about hits that launch people far into the air, or little guys being able to destroy big guys with checks, or hip checks knocking down someone with the lightest tap, or tripping guys that your pokecheck doesn't even touch?

There are far worse problems in realism. One-timers were twice as easy to score on in 12, (it was how I scored 2/3 of my goals) so quit complaining about them being easy in 13.

Quote:
If you think the poke check and puck/stick physics are realistic you are either delusional or it just doesn't bother you. If it doesn't bother you, that's great, but I see it every game and I want to rip my hair out. And this is coming from someone who plays exclusively as a defenseman in EASHL. Even the head developer of the game said poke checks were overpowered.
And it's better than passes being able to zip through defenses as if the opposing players were never even there. Again, try NOT attempting to force it through the other players, because I have no issues whatsoever with people who poke spam.

Quote:
The skating is OK, but the turning and the stuck in mud animation kills it.
So you complain about realism, and then complain about your guys not being able to turn on a dime? Try gliding more or otherwise not turning at high speeds. I have no issues with turning.

Quote:
The warping goalies make this game look like an arcade game.
Again, if that was your real issue you'd be complaining about outrageous hitting animations.

Quote:
They also took the lazy way out of stopping the cross crease. Instead of fixing what was really wrong- pucks going through sticks and skates and shot accuracy- they just tuned the goalies to warp.
Instead of fixing pucks going through sticks (which they said can't feasibly be done right now, as they tried, and sticks not phasing through things would have them collide with EVERYTHING, and make the game unplayable) and skates (which I can't say I have ever seen), they made it so that defensemen can ACTUALLY knock pucks away.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg View Post
If realism is all you're complaining about, then where in your post are you complaining about hits that launch people far into the air, or little guys being able to destroy big guys with checks, or hip checks knocking down someone with the lightest tap, or tripping guys that your pokecheck doesn't even touch?
I could write a book on what's wrong with this game. What's your point? And if I did bring it up defenders of the game such as yourself would jump all over it. If you enjoy the game, great. My opinions shouldn't have any influence on your enjoyment of the game.

Quote:
There are far worse problems in realism. One-timers were twice as easy to score on in 12, (it was how I scored 2/3 of my goals) so quit complaining about them being easy in 13.
At least the goalie moved in a [somewhat] realistic manner last year. And I gave my solution to the problem. EA just decided to take the easy way out and it looks even worse this year.

Quote:
And it's better than passes being able to zip through defenses as if the opposing players were never even there. Again, try NOT attempting to force it through the other players, because I have no issues whatsoever with people who poke spam.
Even if it is better than pucks going through solid objects, it still isn't acceptable. EA goes from one extreme to the other. There's never any balance in their games. This game has a 100% poke rate if you are in the lane (and then some). Pucks don't deflect either, they react as if they came off the bat of Mike Trout which is the bigger problem to me. There's not much incentive to being on the man advantage due to the ridiculous radius each defender poses.

Quote:
So you complain about realism, and then complain about your guys not being able to turn on a dime? Try gliding more or otherwise not turning at high speeds. I have no issues with turning.
There you go making assumptions again. Where in my quote did I mention I should be able to turn on a dime? If you don't see that ridiculous animation where your guy looks like he's in quicksand and takes 3 seconds to move you're just picking a fight. Try being a defenseman, getting the puck at the point, having your guy not move his skates at all, with a defender barreling down on you, make a perfect poke check, and knock the puck to the far blue line for a breakaway. It's fun.

Quote:
Again, if that was your real issue you'd be complaining about outrageous hitting animations.
How much time you got buddy? Hits were a lot more ridiculous in 12.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 01-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
I forgot how cheap this game gets when you're on higher difficulty settings.

Hey EA, when Brent Seabrook lines up Taylor Hall for a head on open ice hit he should go down or at least lose the puck. He shouldn't just bounce off and continue on his way.

When a puck bounces past a stationary defender like Hal Gill and Patrick Kane is passing him in full stride, Gill shouldn't be able to not only catch up but PASS Kane to get to the puck. That's physically impossible. Every computer player is faster while casually skating then I am at full speed.

When I stick lift someone their stick shouldn't be able to come back down and regain possession of the puck before mine does. My stick is under theirs and I should be rewarded for successfully lifting the stick. You basically made a gameplay mechanic obsolete.

I shouldn't get a penalty every time I use the RB or A button on defense. When someone is skating directly at me and I poke check it should poke the puck away, not glitch through the puck and hit his feet and trip him.

If there are going to be super goalies in the game then make them for both teams, not just the CPU team.

Is there no such thing as interference? The CPU d-men DESTROY my players who set up in front of the net with no calls.

Intercepting passes is hilariously bad. The computer can do it no problem but when I cut off passing lanes it literally goes through me. I'll even look at the instant replay and it shows the puck passing through my stick blade or skate.

The point is they could increase the difficulty of the game by giving the computer more creative passing plays and playing smarter by shooting low for rebounds. Instead the computer just has superhuman abilities and can score on every point shot. Just terrible game design all around.
Yes. This is the 100% truth. I couldn't explain it any better. The pure frustration I get from playing this game is because of the things you list right here. This happens ALL the time. And if you turn down sliders/play on an easier level, the game becomes to easy and you can win like 8-3.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:35 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

[QUOTE=FLYguy3911;58041549]At least the goalie moved in a [somewhat] realistic manner last year. And I gave my solution to the problem. EA just decided to take the easy way out and it looks even worse this year.[quote]

The easy way out would've been not changing the goalies and allowing them to be burned by glitch shots nonstop. Like it or not, the changes they made to the goalies has almost entirely removed 100% goals. I don't see exactly where there's any "warping". What happens is they cheat over or do diving saves.

Quote:
Pucks don't deflect either, they react as if they came off the bat of Mike Trout which is the bigger problem to me.
Rarely. I don't know where you see them do that, but I see that something like 1/100 times.

Quote:
There's not much incentive to being on the man advantage due to the ridiculous radius each defender poses.
I have something like a 35% PP rate, higher than that of previous games, so I would have to strongly disagree.

Quote:
There you go making assumptions again. Where in my quote did I mention I should be able to turn on a dime? If you don't see that ridiculous animation where your guy looks like he's in quicksand and takes 3 seconds to move you're just picking a fight.
I do see it, and it's almost exclusively when you're cruising long at top speeds. Slow down.

Quote:
Try being a defenseman, getting the puck at the point, having your guy not move his skates at all, with a defender barreling down on you, make a perfect poke check, and knock the puck to the far blue line for a breakaway. It's fun.
You act as if defensemen never get caught flat-footed in real life. Get rid of the puck faster or have your team not pass to you when you're covered. It's that simple. That's the risk you take in passing to the point, and you should be aware of that, rather than whining and blaming the game because you couldn't get rid of the puck fast enough.

All you're doing is complaining about things that happen in actual hockey, or are VERY easy to compensate for.

Slow down before turning, don't try to force passes through covered lanes, and understand the risks of your every play. It's not arcade-style hockey anymore. It's closer to a sim game than ever and you have to get used to the nuances of actual hockey, rather than complaining that EA will no longer let you to tape to tape passes through a defenseman's legs and score 99% of the time on the ensuing one timer.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:50 AM
Tak7

If people want realism, they should play the sport.

The fact is NHL 13 is a VIDEO GAME, not a simulation.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:35 AM
leova

I just want some simple things fixed...

1 - more than 1 timeout (and only 30 freakin seconds) of online timeout-ability
2 - player name indicators when they do NOT have possession(pretty obvious)
3 - god the menus suck, but i know they cant fix that
4 - immediately on passing it auto-switches to the targeted player - PLEASE GIVE US A TOGGLE FOR THIS GARBAGE
5 - ability to change team strategies mid-game from the menu!

god this game is so frustrating sometimes...

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
I just want some simple things fixed...

1 - more than 1 timeout (and only 30 freakin seconds) of online timeout-ability
2 - player name indicators when they do NOT have possession(pretty obvious)
3 - god the menus suck, but i know they cant fix that
4 - immediately on passing it auto-switches to the targeted player - PLEASE GIVE US A TOGGLE FOR THIS GARBAGE
5 - ability to change team strategies mid-game from the menu!

god this game is so frustrating sometimes...
Oh God no. I don't want to play a quick match and be sitting around while my opponents spends minutes on end doing whatever it is that makes him pause the game. I like it this way. It's part of what makes EASHL unplayable, having to watch every replay, wait during intermissions etc

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
SaNcAlandariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
Oh God no. I don't want to play a quick match and be sitting around while my opponents spends minutes on end doing whatever it is that makes him pause the game. I like it this way. It's part of what makes EASHL unplayable, having to watch every replay, wait during intermissions etc
I respect your opinion but I prefer to watch the replays (if they're decent) and watch the highlights. You don't always have to rush you know, take a moment and breathe. On that note, I miss the longer introduction sequence and the national anthems before games. My experiences are on Offline / GM Connected and not EASHL so my opinion might not apply to yours.

SaNcAlandariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Unagi

Anyone know when they will release a new Roster update?

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
FlamesFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
Anyone know when they will release a new Roster update?
No, hopefully soon because im getting really impatient. Ive heard people say it should be within the week.

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:28 PM
leova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
with the way it works now, you get 30 seconds TOTAL PER GAME to do anything...and 15 of those are spent loading/navigating menus because of how crappy and slow the layouts/loading is

and if you're like me, and are used to pushing Start to skip openings/movies/etc in most games, doing it in NHL 13 kills your TO before the game even starts...

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Good league just had a few spots open up

everyone is active

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1278205

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
If people want realism, they should play the sport.

The fact is NHL 13 is a VIDEO GAME, not a simulation.
Video Games are also supposed to be fun. NHL 13 is not.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
Don't you dare say anything negative about this game. You must be playing a different game bro.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Noob question: When I do 'Be A Pro', I keep getting the same guy. Same name, same height, same everything. So how do I get a new guy?

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
David71

when will roster update 8/9 come out? everyones practicallyu played their first games

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
when will roster update 8/9 come out? everyones practicallyu played their first games
Later this week. That's all they'll say. Late Thursday-Friday is my guess.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Noob question: When I do 'Be A Pro', I keep getting the same guy. Same name, same height, same everything. So how do I get a new guy?
For some reason you have to change your height weight and name for that position under your EASHL player.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Then don't play it

Simple.

If there is a TV show on, and I don't enjoy it, I don't watch it.

While the game may not be fun for you, I'd argue that it is a ton of fun for a lot of people based on the online numbers right now. It only fell out of the top 20 Xbox Live playlist per week two or three weeks ago, and hockey is back so perhaps more people get back into it? Of course those numbers don't include people who enjoy the game that don't play online.

It's a fun game. If you don't find it fun, that's unfortunate. Go try something else rather than whining about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Don't you dare say anything negative about this game. You must be playing a different game bro.
It's not a question of being negative.

There are faults and issues with the game. Sure. But let's not try and paint the game as something that it isn't.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:15 AM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Then don't play it

Simple.

If there is a TV show on, and I don't enjoy it, I don't watch it.
Then I turn on a different TV show, let me just flip over to that other NHL video game seri-oh wait.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:37 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
You are wrong in that statement.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:25 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
You are wrong in that statement.
How can his opinion be wrong?

Old
01-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Krishna

Anyone have any idea when the rosters will be updated?

After the 5 game trial for rookies?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Flat Stanley

I wouldn't even put rookies on teams in the next update, there have been a small amount of rookies that made their respective teams, I say put them on their junior squad in the update and if fans want to put them on their team, they can do that.

I'm just baffled that they actually took players out of the game.

From what I noticed, Saad and Yakupov were not on their NHL team, AHL team, CHL team or free agency, I don't know how many more players from the game disappeared.

Also, I know they won't but they goofed on call names of added players. Playing as the WBS Penguins, Bennett's call is "Boyes" and Dumoulin's call is Boynton I know they won't fix it, and it's not really a big deal at all, just weird.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote