HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Old
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Spinkis

vCash: 500
Undrafted Viktor Arvidsson has been elected to play for team Sweden in Czech Hockey Games

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:14 AM
Harks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinkis View Post
Undrafted Viktor Arvidsson has been elected to play for team Sweden in Czech Hockey Games
From yesterdays game
Arvidsson goal (Norran.se)

Harks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:55 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
he reminds you of one of, what, 5 black players in NHLs history? Really? you just went there?
Wasn't there 5 black players on Atlanta alone at one point?
(Off the top of my head Kane, Byfuglien, Stewart, Oduya, Dawes)

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Spinkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harks View Post
From yesterdays game
Arvidsson goal (Norran.se)
Beautiful, I simply can't understand that no one have drafted him.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Because NHL scouts are still obsessed with size.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Amazing that he isnt drafted. NHL teams drafts average prospects from Sweden from left to right and misses out on him.

I going to root for him. Show 'em!

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Amazing that he isnt drafted. NHL teams drafts average prospects from Sweden from left to right and misses out on him.

I going to root for him. Show 'em!
For what it's worth, it seems that a few of the smaller, more dynamic Europeans have been passed over in recent NHL drafts even though a number of the same type of North Americans (usually some headed to the NCAA) have still been taken.

Without knowing for certain, I think this can attributed almost solely to the fact that a team must make a contract offer within two years of drafting a European (as has long been the case with kids taken from Canadian Juniors, etc.) - which wasn't the case for a very, very long time - and thus have simply felt that the chances of them actually signing and bringing over smaller player XXX are so very unlikely, that they'd rather use their actual draft picks on other assets that they, at the moment, have more belief in as viable NHL assets OR have more control over for a longer period of time (as is the case with the NCAA guys).

Where does that leave a kid like Arvidsson who, size aside, certainly possesses the skating and skills to measure himself favorably against just about any and every player taken this past summer as of the 3rd round of the draft, if not higher?

Simple. All NHL teams will continue to watch his SHL progress this and next season and then some team will look to sign him as a UFA along the way if his progress continues as expected.

In short, teams seem to be thinking it's not worth drafting smaller Europeans playing in Europe when they can get the kids closer to home and then just take a wait-and-see approach with these foreign players.

All this said, I gotta wonder if Arvidsson will experience anything different at any point than Zuccarello or Omark (who admittedly was drafted in 2007) did?

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 08-29-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 06:07 AM
KRM

Quote:
Because he would never be able to pull it off in the NHL?

He shows great hustle and compete level, and he seems like one of the most charismatic young players in Sweden, I player any team would love to have on the roster. But I can see why NHL teams are reluctant, because at that size and strength, his game will not translate well to the next level.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Tomas W

Hmm. Wouldnt suprise me if the NHL people compare him with Omark, but not even Omark have the spark of Arvidsson I think. Arvidsson is a feisty "little" *******. Easy to like.

Old
08-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Because he would never be able to pull it off in the NHL?

He shows great hustle and compete level, and he seems like one of the most charismatic young players in Sweden, I player any team would love to have on the roster. But I can see why NHL teams are reluctant, because at that size and strength, his game will not translate well to the next level.
Speed and hustle is just as important as size. There actually are some players under 6'2 that excell in the NHL. And why not through a low pick at him and block him from FA?

Last edited by Tomas W: 08-29-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old
08-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Spinkis

Quote:
Speed and hustle is just as important as size. There actually is some players under 6'2 that excell in the NHL. And why not through a low pick at him and block him from FA?
Exactly my thought. So many players that have proved nothing gets drafted but Arvidsson who have excelled at every level doesn't even get a 6th or 7th pick.

Old
08-29-2013, 06:25 AM
SurMartin

The whole draft ordeal doesn't seem to have fazed him.
Quote:
What does it mean to not get drafted?
"- Oh, nothing, I hope. Petter [Emanuelsson, young teammate in Skellefteå] was not drafted either and now he has signed an NHL contract."

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Mrpm

Adrian Kempe and Dmytro Timashov will play with the big guys tomorrow. Their first game with Modos mens team this pre-season. The competition isn't the best though, Sundsvall in division 1. (tier below Allsvenskan)

Mrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:01 PM
KRM

Quote:
Speed and hustle is just as important as size. There actually are some players under 6'2 that excell in the NHL. And why not through a low pick at him and block him from FA?
Sure, but there is a big difference between 6'0" and 5'9". Look at Tedenby, somewhat similar to Arvidsson but better on his skate and much higher skill set. He's having major trouble establishing himself in the NHL. And as I said, teams probably don't think that Arvidsson's game will transfer well to the NHL. Look at Andreas Johnson for example, his resume isn't even a fifth of Arvidsson's, but he got drafted because Toronto likely think his game could transfer to the NHL.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 01:37 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
Sure, but there is a big difference between 6'0" and 5'9". Look at Tedenby, somewhat similar to Arvidsson but better on his skate and much higher skill set. He's having major trouble establishing himself in the NHL. And as I said, teams probably don't think that Arvidsson's game will transfer well to the NHL. Look at Andreas Johnson for example, his resume isn't even a fifth of Arvidsson's, but he got drafted because Toronto likely think his game could transfer to the NHL.
Maybe so.

Old
08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpm View Post
Adrian Kempe and Dmytro Timashov will play with the big guys tomorrow. Their first game with Modos mens team this pre-season. The competition isn't the best though, Sundsvall in division 1. (tier below Allsvenskan)
Timashov is clearly a work in progress. He has lots of time though. Not the biggest or fastest guy, but has good hockey sense.

But Kempe, that kid can be a real stud. I'm very curious to see what particularly he and Anton Karlsson will do this winter. Both have some great power forward traits.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 08-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Huffman

I'm a bit worried that the top Swedish guys in next years draft won't see much ice time with their senior teams. Pastrnak and Nylander will likely play big roles next season on their teams, Vrana will also get decent amount of ice time. I'd be very surprised to see Karlsson, Lindblom or Kempe play more than 5 games with their teams. Karlsson will have to outplay 5 or 6 older guys that could play in the WJC this winter. Brynäs likes to keep their promising players in J20 an extra year and Modo is very deep with young forwards.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Mrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Timashov is clearly a work in progress. He has lots of time though. Not the biggest or fastest guy, but has good hockey sense.

But Kempe, that kid can be a real stud. I'm very curious to see what particularly he and Anton Karlsson will do this winter. Both have some great power forward traits.
Timashovs hands is imo one of the best if not the very best of the 96-borned Swedes, and as you said his hockey sense is good, but also his vision and passing is great. He played better than Kempe in the first period and assisted to two goals out of three.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
I'm a bit worried that the top Swedish guys in next years draft won't see much ice time with their senior teams. Pastrnak and Nylander will likely play big roles next season on their teams, Vrana will also get decent amount of ice time. I'd be very surprised to see Karlsson, Lindblom or Kempe play more than 5 games with their teams. Karlsson will have to outplay 5 or 6 older guys that could play in the WJC this winter. Brynäs likes to keep their promising players in J20 an extra year and Modo is very deep with young forwards.
Well players like Karlsson Kempe, Lindblom havn't even dominated the J20 circuit so it would be best to have them at that level leading their teams anyways.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Hockeyfrilla

U20: SWE-RUS 2-1 (ot)

U17: SWE-FIN 4-1

U17 game 2: SWE-FIN 6-4

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 08-31-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Well players like Karlsson Kempe, Lindblom havn't even dominated the J20 circuit so it would be best to have them at that level leading their teams anyways.
Yeah, but I don't really see any of those guys being called up after 25 games and stay up for the rest of the season. Their chances to do that would be better on other teams, but of course they have to prove themselves in J20 first.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 04:20 PM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
Hows collberg doing, did he play

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
Hows collberg doing, did he play
1+1 against EV Zug

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Mrpm

Modo coach Anders Forsberg says Dmytro Timashov is fighting for a spot with the A-team. He also thinks he can make it and play at the SHL-level. Not surprised though, Timashov has been really good and produced 4 points on the 2 latest games, against Sundsvall and Leksand. Looks like he's the first player that will be called up from J20 when they need a forward. Impressive for a 16-year-old.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:41 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Anders Forsberg is a beaut.