HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group A Scenarios

Old
12-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Canada4Gold

vCash: 500
Group A Scenarios

This group is so close. Both Finland and the Czech go into the final day with the oppurtunity to finish 1st but they could also not make the QF. Has this ever happened before?

Sweden Win RegulationSweden Win OT/SOFinland Win OT/SOFinland Win Regulation
Czech Republic Win Regulation1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland1. Czech Republic, 2. Finland, 3. Sweden
Czech Republic Win OT/SO1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Switzerland1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland3 Way Tie*
Switzerland Win OT/SO1. Sweden, 2. Switzerland, 3. Czech Republic1. Sweden, 2. Switzerland, 3. Czech Republic1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Switzerland**1. Finland, 2. Sweden, 3. Switzerland
Switzerland Win Regulation1. Sweden, 2. Switzerland, 3. Czech Republic1. Sweden, 2. Switzerland, 3. Czech Republic1. Sweden, 2. Switzerland, 3. Finland1. Finland, 2. Sweden, 3. Switzerland

* - Sweden, Finland, and Czech Republic all have 8 points, in games between them they all have 3 points. Goes to Goal differential in games between the teams. Czech lost to Sweden by 3, beat Finland by 2 so they are -1 and cannot finish 1st. If Finland wins by 1, they are -1, tied with Czech Republic and the Czechs beat them so Sweden 1st, Czechs are 2nd, Finland 3rd. If Finland wins by 2 then it's Sweden at +1 in 1st, Finland at 0 in 2nd, and Czechs 3rd. If Finland wins by 3 then it's Finland +1, Sweden 0, and Czechs 3rd, if Finland win by 4 it's the same, if they win by 5 then Sweden drops to -2 so the Czechs are 2nd

Finland Win By 1 - 1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland
Finland Win By 2 - 1. Sweden, 2. Finland, 3. Czech Republic
Finland Win By 3 or 4 - 1. Finland, 2. Sweden, 3. Czech Reoublic
Finland Win By 5 of More - 1. Finland, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Sweden

** - Was disputed by a poster in another thread, Here Switzerland, Czech Republic, and Finland all have 7 points, in games between tied teams Czech Republic would have 4, Switzerland 3 and Finland 2 so I believe Czechs would be 2nd, Swiss 3rd, and Finland in the Relegation side of things

Canada4Gold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Canada4Gold

Had the Swiss beat Sweden in that Shootout then all 4 teams could have ben 1st, and all 4 teams could have been 4th, that would just have been a total nuts free for all

Old
12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quite crazy... I'm very happy that Sweden has a play off spot secured.. game against Finland could go either way--

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:00 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Way more interesting than Pool B.

KevyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:44 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Any scenario where Switzerland advances is my favourite.

I wouldn't mind seeing them face Russia again. They've played well against them in the last few years. But a 2nd place finish and a game against Slovakia or USA would be ideal for them, I think.

The Swiss really need to just win.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Zamuz

Just sick, can't wait for the games to start

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:51 AM
Canada4Gold

Sweden Win RegulationSweden Win OT/SOFinland Win OT/SOFinland Win Regulation
Czech Republic Win OT/SO1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Switzerland1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland3 Way Tie*

* - Sweden, Finland, and Czech Republic all have 8 points, in games between them they all have 3 points. Goes to Goal differential in games between the teams. Czech lost to Sweden by 3, beat Finland by 2 so they are -1 and cannot finish 1st. If Finland wins by 1, they are -1, tied with Czech Republic and the Czechs beat them so Sweden 1st, Czechs are 2nd, Finland 3rd. If Finland wins by 2 then it's Sweden at +1 in 1st, Finland at 0 in 2nd, and Czechs 3rd. If Finland wins by 3 then it's Finland +1, Sweden 0, and Czechs 3rd, if Finland win by 4 it's the same, if they win by 5 then Sweden drops to -2 so the Czechs are 2nd

Finland Win By 1 - 1. Sweden, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Finland
Finland Win By 2 - 1. Sweden, 2. Finland, 3. Czech Republic
Finland Win By 3 or 4 - 1. Finland, 2. Sweden, 3. Czech Reoublic
Finland Win By 5 of More - 1. Finland, 2. Czech Republic, 3. Sweden

Old
12-31-2012, 03:52 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Just give me an upset.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:34 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Just give me an upset.
That would obviously be Finland going into relegation rounds and Switzerland advancing to medal rounds - this is the only upset available in this pool at this point. Not really an upset considering team Finland's actual gameplay but would definitely be an upset considering the pre-tourney hype overload around the team.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see this actually happen, as Sweden should still be well motivated to win the group and get the bye.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Hybbe

I'm so torn on this. On the one hand I want the swiss to go through being underdogs and all, on the other hand I have a lot of finnish friends and the possibility of sticking it to them in the medal rounds is just too sweet to pass on.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:26 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Am I right in thinking that if it stays as it is, then Finland are in the relegation group?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Am I right in thinking that if it stays as it is, then Finland are in the relegation group?
You are. And Finland really doesn't deserve to get through after this performance...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:50 AM
dmacgreg37

Sweden is, quite obviously, the class of Group A. I think they'll give a team from Group B all they can handle in the Semi-Finals.

As for the rest of the group, they seem to be even, but not that great. I think the US will beat the Czechs, and CAN/RUS loser will beat the Swiss soundly. This would lead to 2 great SF games though.

SWE - CAN/RUS loser
CAN/RUS winner - USA

Could be a great set-up.

dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:33 AM
zorz

I think it's cool that both Czechs and Swiss made it to the playoffs. Shows that nobody can be sure about his playoff spot these days except Canada.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote