HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
It's minus 5 with a windchill of minus 10 in Monxton and yes there is snow on the ground
I'm moving to TO except I don't like traffic
The dinner will be KD and ketchup with a main course of fried balloney and mustard, maybe some boiled wieners
Took me an hour to get from DVP and Lakeshore to Lakeshore and the Ex last night.... thats a 5 minute drive MAX when the gardiner isn't jammed (see: 3am).

If you don't like traffic, stay the F away!!!

Old
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Because the tournament is usually held in such exciting,fascinating, desirable fun places such as Edmonton, Buffalo, Saskatoon, Grand Forks, Leksand etc. etc.

I'm sure they spend almost all of their time either at the rink, the hotel or commuting between these two places anyway.
Not that they are inflexible about experiencing something different than the norm, but they will be wearing HazMat suits while commuting between the rink and the hotel. Get ready for the deluge of complaints about the hotel, the rink and everything that is not reminiscent of trendy sections of Toronto.

Old
12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Maybe they just never took Geography in school. Cloudy or not, if Edmonton is at the same latitude roughly as Ufa, then the sun is going to rise and set at roughly the same time. Can there be any doubt that Canada believes it has everything riding on the outcome of this tournament?
As the person said, the cloud cover leaves only one hour of actual sunlight. Perhaps the lack of that is what they are trying to combat and the coach simply misspoke. Why consider reasonable explanations when we could all just proclaim the guy a moron though?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:19 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoluutio View Post
The Canadians are just playing mind games. "Kind of" bashing the host city("local food isn't good enough for us", "the weather is too gloomy for us" etc.) is a good way to irritate the Russians.
How do you interpret them wanting to stay on the diet they normally rely on as "the local food isn't good enough for us"?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
ed bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCZ View Post
Yeah, how would they manage without the world-renowned Canadian cuisine?
I heard they are building the first Keg in Ufa in preparation for the arrival of Team Canada but no Moulson will be served

Old
12-13-2012, 11:45 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
As the person said, the cloud cover leaves only one hour of actual sunlight. Perhaps the lack of that is what they are trying to combat and the coach simply misspoke. Why consider reasonable explanations when we could all just proclaim the guy a moron though?
Reasonable? It's always sunny in all of Canada? No cloudy days there?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:49 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
How do you interpret them wanting to stay on the diet they normally rely on as "the local food isn't good enough for us"?
It's smart, you know exactly what you are going to get. Hope the chefs know how to make good Subway sandwiches and pizza though!

Old
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
A whole lot less than UFA, about on par with NYC. Even less when you get away from the lakes.

I am not saying I agree wit the reasoning completely, but if it helps keep he players moods up, why not? No sense having the most money if you aren't going to spend it to help win. As someone from the USA you should certainly understand that.

Old
12-13-2012, 12:03 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Old
12-13-2012, 12:32 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
A whole lot less than UFA, about on par with NYC. Even less when you get away from the lakes.

I am not saying I agree wit the reasoning completely, but if it helps keep he players moods up, why not? No sense having the most money if you aren't going to spend it to help win. As someone from the USA you should certainly understand that.
Awesome, I'll be sure to book a holiday next December in Manitoba or Sasquatchewan to get me some of that famous Canadian sunshine!

And no, I really don't agree with spending money or ridiculous stuff just because you can. Can't wait to see what they come up with next year though!

Old
12-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Awesome, I'll be sure to book a holiday next December in Manitoba or Sasquatchewan to get me some of that famous Canadian sunshine!

And no, I really don't agree with spending money or ridiculous stuff just because you can. Can't wait to see what they come up with next year though!
You asked about sun and I told you. I didn't say they are good places to visit, but thanks for being pig headed.

If it helps then it is money well spent. I personally think it is a waste of money, but they have some expert that told them it was a good idea and charged them $300/hr to do so. If it helps great, if not it is a drop in the bucket. Just sucks it makes them look pretty dumb to the rest of the world, but it is always fun to make fun of the best, so i understand.

Old
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
luongo321

I didnt know Mike Gillis was running team canada.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
I think most reasonable people know that the bulk of Canadian cities receive more than an average of one hour of sunlight per day.

Old
12-13-2012, 02:33 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
It's smart, you know exactly what you are going to get. Hope the chefs know how to make good Subway sandwiches and pizza though!

Yes because that's all they ever eat.

I'm sure Team USA is going to do nothing but indulge in local Ufa cuisine too right?

Old
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

I think you do agree.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:35 PM
IME

vCash: 861
For those bashing HC bringing in chefs, you should know that it is common practice with hockey teams who can afford it. There are many benefits to having your own chef:

1. You don't run the risk of an upset stomach as your body adapts to new cuisine
2. You know what you are getting, and how it is going to affect your energy/health
3. It's a little slice of home for 18 year olds in a strange place without family, friends, or the english language

Old
12-13-2012, 04:59 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
For those bashing HC bringing in chefs, you should know that it is common practice with hockey teams who can afford it. There are many benefits to having your own chef:

1. You don't run the risk of an upset stomach as your body adapts to new cuisine
2. You know what you are getting, and how it is going to affect your energy/health
3. It's a little slice of home for 18 year olds in a strange place without family, friends, or the english language
Come on !

point 1 ! ok. although ufa is not tropical (in tropical areas you generally have significant risk) ... I'll say ok. to save the honour of the highly esteemed HC.
But 2 and 3 ... pasta, meat, fish ... and a team of 25 guys lost in a country were no one except personnel in the hotel, the other teams, TV ... remembers a bit of home ??
with Facebook, skype, twitter ... whatever voip app carying your voice ... !

In any case, kudos for standing up for Hockey Canada in such a condition ...

PS : by the way this thread is awesome ! i seriously had an amazing time reading it !

PS : next holidays i will head for canada and its average 10 hours sun/day

Old
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
You asked about sun and I told you. I didn't say they are good places to visit, but thanks for being pig headed.
I was kidding. Is it a cloudy day today or why are you being so grumpy Maybe you should try one of those lamps to cheer up!

Quote:
If it helps then it is money well spent. I personally think it is a waste of money, but they have some expert that told them it was a good idea and charged them $300/hr to do so. If it helps great, if not it is a drop in the bucket. Just sucks it makes them look pretty dumb to the rest of the world, but it is always fun to make fun of the best, so i understand.
Oh really don't care if they are the best or the worst, I'll make fun of any professional organization who thinks it's going to be 24 hours of darkness or dusk in a place that's on the same latitude as northern Germany. Or you know, the place where the last WJC was held.

Quote:
I think most reasonable people know that the bulk of Canadian cities receive more than an average of one hour of sunlight per day.
Sun, sun...yes, that's the first thing that comes to mind when people think of Winnipeg in December. And I was actually serious about it being smart to bring your own chefs, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I think you do agree.
Hmm, guess so. I want my money back if there are successive days of cloud cover though. Actually I love northern cities and areas, maybe that's why this so funny and absurd to me.

Old
12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Is there anything that we can do to help get Ufa's ration of sunlight above one hour a day?

Old
12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Is there anything that we can do to help get Ufa's ration of sunlight above one hour a day?
Sounds pretty bourgeois to me.

Old
12-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
No, but if HC feels that the players should be kept in good spirits with some UV light because Ufa doesn't get much, hen so be it.

For the record, I think it is dumb, but do understand why they do it. These kids will be happy no matter what they are playing for team Canada at the world Jrs, they are ecstatic!

Old
12-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
I was kidding. Is it a cloudy day today or why are you being so grumpy Maybe you should try one of those lamps to cheer up!
Sunny as can be, in a great mood! Smartass comments get smartass/rude responses. I make a lot... I should know

Quote:
Oh really don't care if they are the best or the worst, I'll make fun of any professional organization who thinks it's going to be 24 hours of darkness or dusk in a place that's on the same latitude as northern Germany. Or you know, the place where the last WJC was held.
If someone in Hockey Canada really thinks there is 24 hour darkness in Ufa, they should be made fun of constantly. However, I am going to go with a miss quote, since I have learned today Ufa only gets about 1 hour of sunshine a day due to cloud cover.

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 08:05 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
If someone in Hockey Canada really thinks there is 24 hour darkness in Ufa, they should be made fun of constantly. However, I am going to go with a miss quote, since I have learned today Ufa only gets about 1 hour of sunshine a day due to cloud cover.
Hahaha....you really are reaching for it

"I'll go with a misquote" Good one, I'll have to remember that one!

Since we are learning about weather today, that sunshine stat site you are referring shows that Toronto gets 2 hours of sunlight a day. Crucial difference, especially for guys who are inside all the time!

Last edited by BobDobolina: 12-13-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
I hope that the organizers provide Spetsnaz Units for when the Dancing Russian bears and Tigers decide to attack them in the streets

I find it funny when they say "It's a FOUR hour flight from Moscow!"

Wow, so that is like the same distance from Toronto to Calgary/Vancouver haha
It is not even 4 hours from Moscow I have flown from Moscow to Ufa it is just over 2 hours

Old
12-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Hahaha....you really are reaching for it

"I'll go with a misquote" Good one, I'll have to remember that one!

Since we are learning about weather today, that sunshine stat site you are referring shows that Toronto gets 2 hours of sunlight a day. Crucial difference, especially for guys who are inside all the time!
I just find it hard ot believe that someone at Hockey Canada would have purposely said that Ufa gets 24 hours darkness. Althought I could be wrong, but if they on;y get 1 hour of sunshine a day, I could understand the misquote/misinfo based on hhe was told

You mean average of 5.58 hours per day over the year? NYC gets and average 6.57 hours per day. Our low is 3.73 average hours in Dec.

Last edited by Leo Trollmarov: 12-13-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Closed Thread