HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
RJQuack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'm not worried about age in particular. If you have Mackinnon and Drouin as some combination of 4th line/13th forward... you should be okay.

Evander Kane was cut, then named the 13th forward after an injury.... and he was an impact player.
Kane was a guy I thought of when I think of underagers... MacKinnon has a similar physical game, while not as big as him.... I think either Nate or Jo could be an impact player with ice time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogle122 View Post
I'd get rid of Wilson too. He's the kind of player you'd love to have in the Stanley Cup playoffs but not so much in a IIHF sanctioned tournament.
On big ice no less...

Old
12-12-2012, 06:04 PM
leafsfuture

If I had to make 7 cuts:
- Wilson
- Camara
- Cantenacci
- Beauvilier
- Wotherspoon
- Pelech
- Dumba

I actually liked the play of Beauvilier and Camara, for me the issue will be that offence could be an issue this year and those guys dont provide it. Wilson's skill level isnt high enough for this level yet.

Wotherspoon was ok, but again he gets cut because he didnt really stand out, and Corrado and Reinhart did

Old
12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
There's a reason you can't base your opinions off these games only. A few of the players who sat today (Thus locks) didn't have good games yesterday.
Hockey Canada is basing this off the player's total body of work.

Past U-18/U-20 performance, Current League performance and Super Series Play

All the players sitting out are having strong seasons, played well in the U-18's, played well in the super series, and some have past WJ experience.

Because many of these guys are relatively even, decisions will come down to performance put forth in this camp.

Don't worry Ryan Murphy will live to see another day

Old
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

uh oh TSN guys overhyping Corrado.

Cuts should be interesting. Didn't catch when they'd be made, anyone know? Thanks!

Old
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
If I had to make 7 cuts:
- Wilson
- Camara
- Cantenacci
- Beauvilier
- Wotherspoon
- Pelech
- Dumba

I actually liked the play of Beauvilier and Camara, for me the issue will be that offence could be an issue this year and those guys dont provide it. Wilson's skill level isnt high enough for this level yet.

Wotherspoon was ok, but again he gets cut because he didnt really stand out, and Corrado and Reinhart did
I agree with all but Wilson. I think they'll give him another chance. Canada has traditionally thrived on the physical play of Wilson-types... Whether it was Downie, Legein, DellaRovere, Kassian or DSP. I think he'll live to see another day at least, see if they can reel him in a bit, get him in a more effective role.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the outside looking in.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogle122 View Post
It'll be very difficult to cut MacKinnon, Drouin and Shinkaruk. It will be easy to cut Dumba. I'd get rid of Wilson too. He's the kind of player you'd love to have in the Stanley Cup playoffs but not so much in a IIHF sanctioned tournament.
I agree with everything you've said except Wilson. I'd love to see him on Jenner's wing. We've got a lot of high end flashy types, but you need guys like Wilson to balance that out. Drouin and Shinkaruk have looked amazing though. I'm not surprised with Mack, but those two really stood out both days for me. Really separated themselves from Monahan, imo.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
WharnsbyCBC Mark Scheifele was told moments ago #NHLJets have committed him to play in entire World Jr. regardless of how CBA talks go. #cbcsports
http://twitter.com/WharnsbyCBC/statu...95879422214144

Old
12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Destroyer100

little off topic but oh how i wish NHL 13 had the world juniors it.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
little off topic but oh how i wish NHL 13 had the world juniors it.
That would be awesome

Old
12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheebeat View Post
I agree with everything you've said except Wilson. I'd love to see him on Jenner's wing. We've got a lot of high end flashy types, but you need guys like Wilson to balance that out. Drouin and Shinkaruk have looked amazing though. I'm not surprised with Mack, but those two really stood out both days for me. Really separated themselves from Monahan, imo.
For sure but I think McNeill would be a better option than Wilson at this point. I'd hate for Wilson's aggression to become a liability in Europe for Canada.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Cool

Hows he doing on International Ice right now?
Right. Because an intersquad game and an exhibition game overrule the fact he lead a prestigious international tourney in scoring less than a year ago.

Good call y'all.

Old
arsmaster

Quote:
That's the point, and my exact reason for not naming specific people/players names. You can't discredit someone in a game you know they're watching because what are you going to say? I'm right you're wrong? It's no argument.

All you can say is what I said, people are exagerating things either in favour or against certain players.
We ALL know you're reffering to someone saying something negative about a certain Kitchener Ranger defensman.

Old
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
"Coach Spott says only goalies Paterson, Brossoit impressed today; nobody else stood out"

Wasn't impressed with Wilson that much. Took a few penalties that could kill us in the WJC. Seems like he could develop quiet a temper if things get out of hand. I know he was great in the SSS, but that's not enough for me to warrant him a spot.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Right. Because an intersquad game and an exhibition game overrule the fact he lead a prestigious international tourney in scoring less than a year ago.

Good call y'all.
He's having a bad WHL season and he's doing badly at camp. What he did in the summer and last season is irrelevant now. This is a short tournament, they can't afford to be waiting around for him to find his game.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
There's a reason you can't base your opinions off these games only. A few of the players who sat today (Thus locks) didn't have good games yesterday.
So what did you think of Murphy's game today? Was he as dominant as he is in Kitchener?

Old
12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Mathletic

So far we have Huberdeau, RNH, Scheifele, Strome, Ritchie, Hudon, Jenner, Danault, Rielly, Hamilton, Ouellet, Harrington and Subban as locks for the team. I also think we can pencil in MacKinnon as the 13th forward. He has done really well. Added to all the hype surrouding the kid, no way he doesn't make it to the team.

Spott has mentioned he believes in intimidation at the junior level. So, even though Wilson hasn't played all that well overall, I'd venture to say he's pretty much a lock to make this team. Graovac has done really well on the PK and creating chances offensively with his physical play. I'd say he's in as well. McNeill has done well for himself. All 3 should be part of the checking line.

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
X - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Graovac - McNeill - Wilson
MacKinnon

Now we have left fighting for a spot,

Rattie
Monahan
Drouin
Shinkaruk

I think Shinkaruk gets the nod. Older than Drouin. Hunter also has experience at the U18 and has played well at camp.

On D, Rielly, Hamilton, Ouellet and Harrington are locks. As for the stay-at-home guys I think Reinhart has done a better job than Wotherspoon. I think we can put him on the 3rd pair. Then all of Corrado, Sproul and Pouliot have played well. Murphy has had his moments but overall I don't think he has been as good as the other kids. Hard to tell at this time whether or not Spott sticks with him. Ultimately I think he does even though Murphy wasn't the best in camp. Murphy gets the 7th d-man spot and one spot is left for either Sproul, Pouliot or Corrado

Rielly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - X
X

Murphy
Corrado
Pouliot
Sproul

Coming in Subban was a lock as the n'1 guy. Paterson has pretty much taken the 2nd spot with a great camp so far. He has been good as well for Saginaw this year. Then it's up to Brossoit and Binnington to fight for the extra spot. Right now I'd have Brossoit in.

Subban
Paterson
Brossoit

Old
12-12-2012, 06:33 PM
BruinsBtn

From what I saw, the easiest forwards to cut would be Catenacci, Wilson and Beauvillier, maybe Monohan too.

Hope Drouin sticks around. That guy's worth the price of admission.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Tiranis

I would say Monahan is the easiest cut on forward for me. Didn't do enough to get further chances as an undrafted player. Drouin and Shinkaruk easily separated themselves from him in these two games.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
StringerBell

I'd really like to see Druin on a line with Strome and Ritchie, and MacKinnon playing LW next to Jenner. Unfortunately that would bump Hudon to the 4th line, which I can't see happening.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I would say Monahan is the easiest cut on forward for me. Didn't do enough to get further chances as an undrafted player. Drouin and Shinkaruk easily separated themselves from him in these two games.
I dont get this.

Monahan isnt a pure offence guy. He plays the PK, is solid down low, and had some great forechecking shifts with Rattie and Shinkaruk yesterday in the 3rd

Old
12-12-2012, 06:36 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I wonder how the rust has factored in for Sean?

I wasn't able to watch the 2nd and 3rd, but I'd rather have Sean there than Drouin...even though his individual skills may be worse, he was Canada's best forward in the summer.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
So far we have Huberdeau, RNH, Scheifele, Strome, Ritchie, Hudon, Jenner, Danault, Rielly, Hamilton, Ouellet, Harrington and Subban as locks for the team. I also think we can pencil in MacKinnon as the 13th forward. He has done really well. Added to all the hype surrouding the kid, no way he doesn't make it to the team.

Spott has mentioned he believes in intimidation at the junior level. So, even though Wilson hasn't played all that well overall, I'd venture to say he's pretty much a lock to make this team. Graovac has done really well on the PK and creating chances offensively with his physical play. I'd say he's in as well. McNeill has done well for himself. All 3 should be part of the checking line.

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
X - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Graovac - McNeill - Wilson
MacKinnon

Now we have left fighting for a spot,

Rattie
Monahan
Drouin
Shinkaruk

I think Shinkaruk gets the nod. Older than Drouin. Hunter also has experience at the U18 and has played well at camp.

On D, Rielly, Hamilton, Ouellet and Harrington are locks. As for the stay-at-home guys I think Reinhart has done a better job than Wotherspoon. I think we can put him on the 3rd pair. Then all of Corrado, Sproul and Pouliot have played well. Murphy has had his moments but overall I don't think he has been as good as the other kids. Hard to tell at this time whether or not Spott sticks with him. Ultimately I think he does even though Murphy wasn't the best in camp. Murphy gets the 7th d-man spot and one spot is left for either Sproul, Pouliot or Corrado

Rielly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - X
X

Murphy
Corrado
Pouliot
Sproul

Coming in Subban was a lock as the n'1 guy. Paterson has pretty much taken the 2nd spot with a great camp so far. He has been good as well for Saginaw this year. Then it's up to Brossoit and Binnington to fight for the extra spot. Right now I'd have Brossoit in.

Subban
Paterson
Brossoit
Rattie is almost guaranteed to be in the top 6, I don't understand how he's fighting for the last spot.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Rattie is almost guaranteed to be in the top 6, I don't understand how he's fighting for the last spot.
could be, may make more sense than Shinkaruk with his experience and more gritty play

Old
12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Hockey Canada is basing this off the player's total body of work.

Past U-18/U-20 performance, Current League performance and Super Series Play

All the players sitting out are having strong seasons, played well in the U-18's, played well in the super series, and some have past WJ experience.

Because many of these guys are relatively even, decisions will come down to performance put forth in this camp.

Don't worry Ryan Murphy will live to see another day
I know Hockey Canada does this (It's why Ouellet who hasn't played a game will make the team if he's not hurt), but people here don't.

Old
12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Snippit

First cuts should be made soon.

Closed Thread