HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Sean Day vs Tyler Benson

View Poll Results: Who is/will be the better player?
Sean Day 36 53.73%
Tyler Benson 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Garyboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaz View Post
I think it's a bit ridiculous to compare these players right now. The majority of voters havent seen them play. Ever. Heck I hadn't even heard of either player until a few days ago.

They're 14 years old kids and still have a ways to go. Hyping these kids up and putting them on future Olympic team rosters is putting unfair pressure on these two guys.
You're on the wrong board. Adding the Olympic team embellishment isn't helping either.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:23 PM
youppi2

I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, on the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.
Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Oil and Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
What's the quality of hockey like in this league? They've been sending teams to the Silver Stick in Whitby for the Minor Midgets for the last 4 years and I think they're 0-23-1. Always boggled my mind why the organizers kept having them back. No idea if these are the cream of the crop in Alberta, but the Edmonton SSAC Bulldogs have been there the last 4 years.

Will be great to see him against the elite at the All-Canadian game.
Players like Benson or other players of high skill level would never play for SSAC in that tournament. The whl draft is a year earlier and the eilte players from bantam make the jump immediately to major midget aaa. So the minor midget team is usually missing five or six guys who would be playing minor midget if they followed ontario age group rules. Two players each of the last two years have gone in the first round of the bantam draft.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:30 PM
youppi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil and Avs View Post
Players like Benson or other players of high skill level would never play for SSAC in that tournament. The whl draft is a year earlier and the eilte players from bantam make the jump immediately to major midget aaa. So the minor midget team is usually missing five or six guys who would be playing minor midget if they followed ontario age group rules. Two players each of the last two years have gone in the first round of the bantam draft.
That would normally be true, the top players in Alberta skip minor midget and move straight to major midget. Except this year, where there is only one '97 on the SSAC major midget roster. Helluva player, but probably not the difference between going 0-4 and being competetive in the SS. So all the top SSAC 97's, except for Estephan, were there.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi2 View Post
I have seen both players on numerous occasions, I have been involved with 98's both in Southern Ontario and in Edmonton. I have seen Sean Day play around 15 times over the years and I have seen Tyler Benson play about 10 times, including watching both players in the same spring hockey tournament.

There really isn't any comparison between the two players,this is not in any way a negative comment regarding Benson,but Sean Day is a generational talent, was unbelievable in Novice hockey and just as dominant against Minor Midgets as a Bantam aged. As most have commented, he doesn't look as if he's even trying.

My opinion of Benson is that he is very, very good, on the same level as some of the best players in Ontario, like Mete, Macleod, Mascerin. But not close to Day.
Benson's numbers can't be taken at face falue, I will provide the grain of salt.

The Alberta Bantam AAA loop has some great high end players, Benson, Steel, Quenneville, Clague, etc, as good as the top players in any loop, but there is little depth in the league.Some of the lower end teams like Camrose, Okotoks etc. would be destroyed by a top end GTHL Minor Bantam AA team. The bottom 5 players on nearly every roster couldn't play Major Bantam AA in Ontario.

The 98's and 99's in Alberta are unsually lacking depth compared to most years. If you look at the scoring leaders you will see that 20 players this year are averaging 2+ points per game. In the previous three seasons, only 6-8 players averaged 2 points per game. This is very indicitive of a high scoring loop where you can run up the scores and pile up points. It surely skews Benson's stats when he scores 11 points against a team that shouldn't even be in the league.

Benson is very, very good against kids a year younger and much weaker. Day is outstanding against kids a year older. I am sure they will both be very successful in their future hockey careers.
You forgot to tell everyone that Benson usually sits for most of the third, because his team has a huge lead over the opposition, and he has already collected five or six points in the first two periods. This kid dominates everyone, including Sam Steel (very good player in his own right) and everyone else in the league.

It matters little what his numbers are, you can tell by watching him play for about thirty seconds that he really doesnt belong at that level.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
That would normally be true, the top players in Alberta skip minor midget and move straight to major midget. Except this year, where there is only one '97 on the SSAC major midget roster. Helluva player, but probably not the difference between going 0-4 and being competetive in the SS. So all the top SSAC 97's, except for Estephan, were there.
Except their crop of 97's that went all the way to Western finals for bantam last season was led by Estephan and Benson, Quenneville and two 98 goalies.. seems like you are being pretty selective.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
What's the quality of hockey like in this league? They've been sending teams to the Silver Stick in Whitby for the Minor Midgets for the last 4 years and I think they're 0-23-1. Always boggled my mind why the organizers kept having them back. No idea if these are the cream of the crop in Alberta, but the Edmonton SSAC Bulldogs have been there the last 4 years.

SSAC also only draws their kids from a very specific area of the City of Edmonton, not even all of the Southside of the city proper. Other teams in SilverStick are like all-star teams from GTA... If all of Alberta + more put together a number of all-star teams including their players playing major midget they would be sending competitive teams.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
SSAC also only draws their kids from a very specific area of the City of Edmonton, not even all of the Southside of the city proper. Other teams in SilverStick are like all-star teams from GTA... If all of Alberta + more put together a number of all-star teams including their players playing major midget they would be sending competitive teams.

It's a shame they don't do something similar to what you described. It's sadly gotten to the point that when you see Edmonton SSAC on the Silver Stick lineup, you're very likely going to get an 0-4-0. Very odd choice by the selection committee considering the abysmal record over the past 4 years.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
youppi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You forgot to tell everyone that Benson usually sits for most of the third, because his team has a huge lead over the opposition, and he has already collected five or six points in the first two periods. This kid dominates everyone, including Sam Steel (very good player in his own right) and everyone else in the league.

It matters little what his numbers are, you can tell by watching him play for about thirty seconds that he really doesnt belong at that level.
Please read my quote carefully, I watched him play many times, not just on the video.

Your comment about sitting in the 3rd isn't backed up by stats, the gamesheets are online you know. He had 2 of his eight points in the last 5 minute of the 3rd period in a 15-0 blowout against Grande Prairie on January 5th.

Facts are your friend.

To be clear, I am saying this kid Benson is very special, awesome, a fantastic player.

If you haven't seen Day and Benson in the same tournament it's hard to compare, but I HAVE watched them in the same tourney.

Last edited by youppi2: 01-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Please read my quote carefully, I watched him play many times, not just on the video.

Your comment about sitting in the 3rd isn't backed up by stats, the gamesheets are online you know. He had 2 of his eight points in the last 5 minute of the 3rd period in a 15-0 blowout against Grande Prairie on January 5th.

Facts are your friend.

To be clear, I am saying this kid Benson is very special, awesome, a fantastic player.

If you haven't seen Day and Benson in the same tournament it's hard to compare, but I HAVE watched them in the same tourney.

Im not talking about Day. And I could give a **** what your gamesheet from ONE game says. Coincidentally Grande Prairie is one of the worst teams in the league, so him getting two points in the third means nothing.

Ive seen him play live. I live about 3 minutes from their home arena. Fact is, this is the best player from the AMBHL I have ever seen, and likely is the best offensive player to ever play in the league.

If you are trying to say they dont cut his ice time drastically in the third, then you simply dont know wtf you are talking about as Ive seen it with my own eyes, no gamesheet needed.

Dont know about Day, but I LOL at anyone who would try to minimize what Benson is doing or how good he really is.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 01-15-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

So 46 people have voted, my bet is that less than a hand full voting have seen both players live more than 1 game apiece.

Dan Cleary was once the best 16 year old in the world.

Polls like this are fun but their development and how good they are in 2 years time matters a ton more than where they are at right now.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
KidLine93

Quote:

The top SSAC players go right to Major Midget AAA. They wouldnt play for SSAC Bulldogs

Last edited by KidLine93: 01-15-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
KidLine93

Quote:

17 Benson, Tyler F 33 34 50 84

stats from last year playing against guys a year older than him in Bantam AAA..seems fine against the older players

Old
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
KidLine93

Quote:

Facts are your friend.

Which tournament was this? and was it recent? Sounds like a big invitational if SSAC was playing an american team

Old
01-15-2013, 11:54 PM
youppi2

Quote:
Im not talking about Day. And I could give a **** what your gamesheet from ONE game says. Coincidentally Grande Prairie is one of the worst teams in the league, so him getting two points in the third means nothing.

Ive seen him play live. I live about 3 minutes from their home arena. Fact is, this is the best player from the AMBHL I have ever seen, and likely is the best offensive player to ever play in the league.

If you are trying to say they dont cut his ice time drastically in the third, then you simply dont know wtf you are talking about as Ive seen it with my own eyes, no gamesheet needed.

Dont know about Day, but I LOL at anyone who would try to minimize what Benson is doing or how good he really is.
The thread is titled Sean Day vs. Tyler Benson. Thats why my comments for comparison.

If I voice my opinion and you disagree, no problem, I respect your differing opinion.

My whole point is that 5 points a game in the Alberta Bantam League doesn't equal 5 points a game in the GTHL or OMHA. That's it.

I lived in Edmonton and in Ontario, coached 98's in both areas and saw both players numerous times, so i might be uniquely qualified, having watched both players live, several times.

There won't be any further replies by me on this thread.

The hockey world doesn't end at Alberta's border.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:38 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
It's a shame they don't do something similar to what you described. It's sadly gotten to the point that when you see Edmonton SSAC on the Silver Stick lineup, you're very likely going to get an 0-4-0. Very odd choice by the selection committee considering the abysmal record over the past 4 years.
Yeah it sort of sucks but they're never going to get to that level of organization. Minor hockey just works different out west than Ontario but the kids I've talked to from SSAC always come back talking about how fun Toronto was anyways and they got to play against some of the best players. It's more for the experience I guess, I'm sure the club knows they aren't exactly going to the gold medal game when they sign up for the tourney.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:05 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Sean Day

01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
The thread is titled Sean Day vs. Tyler Benson. Thats why my comments for comparison.

If I voice my opinion and you disagree, no problem, I respect your differing opinion.

My whole point is that 5 points a game in the Alberta Bantam League doesn't equal 5 points a game in the GTHL or OMHA. That's it.

I lived in Edmonton and in Ontario, coached 98's in both areas and saw both players numerous times, so i might be uniquely qualified, having watched both players live, several times.

There won't be any further replies by me on this thread.

The hockey world doesn't end at Alberta's border.
You dont say?

http://www.northamericanhockeyclassi...p?teams_id=287

http://www.northamericanhockeyclassi....php?year=2012

John Reid Memorial tourney starts tomorrow. You going?

Didnt think so.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:

This is a load of crap. He plays , and plays lots irrespective of the score. Im not saying they run him out there more than they ordinarily would if they are blowing out a team, but to suggest he misses icetime in the 3rd in a blowout is simply not true.
Rest assured, the team is doing their damdest to try & get him that record, via a variety of means.
And yes , he is an exceptional player. But there are a handful of his peers in Northern Alberta that are , if not as good, close enough.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
17 Benson, Tyler F 33 34 50 84

stats from last year playing against guys a year older than him in Bantam AAA..seems fine against the older players
Why did he go back to playing with the '98's this season? Sounds like he was an elite player playing against the 97's in Bantam. Seems counter-productive to go back to his own age group. Any reasoning behind this move?

The league he plays in sounds embarrassingly unbalanced. 15-0 scores? He's essentially playing against average AA kids/teams a lot of the time it seems. Why Benson isn't playing Midget AAA seems mind boggling based on all I hear about his stats, league, how well he did playing up a year last season.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Yeah it sort of sucks but they're never going to get to that level of organization. Minor hockey just works different out west than Ontario but the kids I've talked to from SSAC always come back talking about how fun Toronto was anyways and they got to play against some of the best players. It's more for the experience I guess, I'm sure the club knows they aren't exactly going to the gold medal game when they sign up for the tourney.
Yeah, that's fair. It must be very cool for them to test themselves against the best team/players from a different province and country, when you factor in they got to play Detroit Honeybaked during the '94 tournament.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
This is a load of crap. He plays , and plays lots irrespective of the score. Im not saying they run him out there more than they ordinarily would if they are blowing out a team, but to suggest he misses icetime in the 3rd in a blowout is simply not true.
Rest assured, the team is doing their damdest to try & get him that record, via a variety of means.
And yes , he is an exceptional player. But there are a handful of his peers in Northern Alberta that are , if not as good, close enough.
Were you at the game on Sunday?

If not, then shut the **** up, and if so, you werent paying attention.

Compared to the first two periods, Benson hardly played. Suggesting SSAC is double shifting him in the third period in blowouts so he can break the record is a flat out falsehood. They dont need to do that. He gets his five or six points by the mid point of the second period.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 01-16-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Why did he go back to playing with the '98's this season? Sounds like he was an elite player playing against the 97's in Bantam. Seems counter-productive to go back to his own age group. Any reasoning behind this move?

The league he plays in sounds embarrassingly unbalanced. 15-0 scores? He's essentially playing against average AA kids/teams a lot of the time it seems. Why Benson isn't playing Midget AAA seems mind boggling based on all I hear about his stats, league, how well he did playing up a year last season.
BWC has outscored their opponents 67-4 in fourteen games. They have never given up more than a goal in any game. They have ten shutouts.

These powerhouse teams are common these days. In most if not all leagues. If you listen to those involved in coaching in the AMBHL, they will tell you that the elite talent this year is best its ever been, better than 93' even. Quite the opposite of what is being suggested here by those who pretend to know what is going on.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Were you at the game on Sunday?

If not, then shut the **** up, and if so, you werent paying attention.

Compared to the first two periods, Benson hardly played. Suggesting SSAC is double shifting him in the third period in blowouts so he can break the record is a flat out falsehood. They dont need to do that. He gets his five or six points by the mid point of the second period.
No, I wasnt the game Saturday, but Ive seen plenty of his games so you shut the **** up.
Like, are you his dad?
And I like that "compared to the 1st 2 periods" What was he? On the ice every 2 shifts for the 1st 2?
Make no mistake. SSAC is doing all sorts of stuff to try to get Tyler that record. Its not exactly a secret.
And yes, hes a great player. But tif theres separation between him and 5 or so other kids in Northern Alberta, its not a whole lot.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
BWC has outscored their opponents 67-4 in fourteen games. They have never given up more than a goal in any game. They have ten shutouts.

These powerhouse teams are common these days. In most if not all leagues. If you listen to those involved in coaching in the AMBHL, they will tell you that the elite talent this year is best its ever been, better than 93' even. Quite the opposite of what is being suggested here by those who pretend to know what is going on.
The elite talent of the 98's is far superiour to what the 97's were in Alberta, especially Northern. In terms of depth, who knows.

Closed Thread