HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

10 QMJHL prospects flying under the radar for 2013

Old
12-10-2012, 04:07 PM

vCash: 500
10 QMJHL prospects flying under the radar for 2013

Inspired by the OHL thread...

F Laurent Dauphin, Chicoutimi - is a very intense forward that has great speed and very responsible all over the ice. Possesses great hands and solid offensive abilities. Could developp into an interesting 2nd or 3rd liner in the future. 33 pts in 30 games as a rookie with the Sags.

F Jérôme Verrier, Drummondville - one of the biggest surprise in the league this year, Verrier is having an extraordinaire season. He brings it all every game and will do everything he can to make his team win. He is very intense, battles hard along the boards and is always in a scoring position around the net. He has good hands and good speed and is very involved in the play in all three zones. A possible 3rd or 4th liner in the future. 39 pts in 31 games.

D Mickaël Beauregard, Gatineau - a tall defenseman he is very physical and very hard to get by for offensive forwards. He is very responsible in his own zone and knows what to do to get the puck out. He has good mobility and has a solid outlet pass. He could become a #4 or #5 that has a lot of physical tools and can man the PK.

F Émile Poirier, Gatineau - a smooth skater, Poirier can play the finesse type or bring a powerful element to the game. He can either crash the net or put on the breaks to make a perfect cross-crease pass. He has very nice hockey sense and very good playmaking abilities. He is good in all three zones and isn't afraid of the rough stuff. Could see him becoming a 2nd or 3rd line center. 30 pts in 28 games on a struggling Gatineau squad.

F Marc-Olivier Roy, Blainville-Boisbriand - a top-notch skater that displays amazing playmaking abilities night and night out. Roy is a finesse type of player that creates a lot of scoring chances for his teammates. He has very good dangling skills and uses his speed and hands to make things happen in the offensive zone. He has a great vision and understands how to bring offense. Could see him developp into a 2nd liner in the future. 39 pts in 30 games.

G Sébastien Auger, Saint John - a very quick and agile goalie he has performed better than expected this season with the Sea Dogs. He's kept their young team in games even when Gagné and Durepos were not in the lineup. He is one of the most improved goaltender in the league and has constantly showed he could make the big saves. Has an interesting potential for the NHL.

D Vladislav Lysenko, Sherbrooke - the russian rookie defenseman is already well-known for his bone-crushing hip checks and overall agressivity on the ice. He is a smooth skater and can dish out the pucks to his teammates easily as well. Needs work defensively, but seems to have a very interesting package that reminds me of Niklas Kronwall. Has #3 or #4 potential.

D Maxime Gravel, Rimouski - has amazing skating abilities and hockey sense that allow him to be a powerful weapon on the PP. He has a decent shot and a vision so good he can set up any of his teammates in the offensive zone. Gravel is mainly an offensive D but can also play sound defensively and has a mean streak as well.

D Nikolas Brouillard, Drummondville - is a very fast defenseman that logs a lot of minutes for the Volts. He is very responsible in his own and plays very well defensively. Doesn't mind going into the corners to dig out pucks and can recover defensively in a hurry. He has a great first-pass and will join the rush often. Could become a pretty complete defenseman but is a bit on the small side.

G Philippe Desrosiers, Rimouski - could eventually dethrone Fucale as the #1 '95 goalie out of the Q. He is a very skilled goalie that has no real weakness to his game. He is always in good position and has a great glovehand. Pucks will hit his butterfly style as he is a pretty big goalie. Desrosiers rarely has any bad games and has showed a lot of poise for a young goaltender so far. Definitely has #1 starter potential.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:15 PM
shello
@WShello9

Agreed with Roy, quietly having a good year. Another player on BLB I really liked was Phil Sanche, he's so small I really didn't think he was really suppose to be there! Swear his jersey goes down to his knees. Haha, plus him wearing a cage didn't help his cause. 28 points in 30 games, so far, skilled small forward.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
F Laurent Dauphin, Chicoutimi - is a very intense forward that has great speed and very responsible all over the ice. Possesses great hands and solid offensive abilities. Could developp into an interesting 2nd or 3rd liner in the future. 33 pts in 30 games as a rookie with the Sags.
They need to find somebody named Duke to play him with. It's a shame Hejduk won't be available. Then we can talk Mark Twain AND hockey. Yes.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Scarecrow Boat

I find a lot of people neglect Matt Murphy

Maybe I'm the one missing a major flaw? Also very possible that I notice other things in rankings that piss me off that I'm the one that forgets to look for Murphy lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post

Maybe I'm the one missing a major flaw? Also very possible that I notice other things in rankings that piss me off that I'm the one that forgets to look for Murphy lol
Val D'Or isn't a big Q market.. Not a lot of attention...

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I don't think he is flying under the radar lol

Old
12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
ikelechien

Agreed. This is both a high-end and deep draft for the Q - reminiscent of the OHL in most years. In addition you might want to consider the following 2nd to 4th round possibilities in the mix:

1. Košťálek, Jan – D – Rimouski – 2nd (Injured)
2. Dunn, Vincent – C – Gatineau – Late 2nd or 3rd
3. Murphy, Matt – D – Val d’Or – 3rd or 4th
4. Oke, Scott – RW – Rimouski – 3rd or 4th (Overager)
5. Morin, Samuel – D – Rimouski – 3rd or 4th
6. LaPlante, Yan Pavel – C – PEI – 3rd or 4th (Injured)
7. Etchegary, Kurt – C – Quebec – 3rd or 4th (Injured)

As for the comments on Mike Murphy, I would say the following play into his lack of buzz so far:
1. Slow start - playing much better of late with lots of minutes generally
2. Team defense - Val d'Or has given up a fair number of goals.
3. And has been said previously - Small market, U really have to want it to go to Val d'Or

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
hab 4ever

Solid analysis #57. Here is where I see them being drafted at this point

F Laurent Dauphin, Chicoutimi - mid 2nd round pick

F Jérôme Verrier, Drummondville - At this point undrafted as I believe there are a few undrafted QMJHL 94s ahead of him (Dea, Clapperton, etc.) but he is fast improving though.

D Mickaël Beauregard, Gatineau -
7th round pick. Not having a great season on that depleted Gatineau team.

F Émile Poirier, Gatineau - I think he is underrated. Powerful skater and I expect his game to pick up some more after Christmas when Gatineau should be reasonably better. I see him as an early third round pick who could end up in the late second pick.

F Marc-Olivier Roy, Blainville-Boisbriand - Very similar to Poirier in skillset and size although not as good a skater and plays on a much stronger team. mid 3rd round pick

G Sébastien Auger, Saint John Plays better than expected but I doubt he gets drafted at all. Best undrafted 94 goalie prospect is definitely A. Bibeau IMO, finally getting more starts and displaying great stats and sought-after size (about 6'3")

D Vladislav Lysenko, Sherbrooke - I don't get the Kronwall comparison. He is more like a poor man's, not as nasty, Kasparaitis. Maybe a team takes a 6th round flyer on him...

D Maxime Gravel, Rimouski - One of the QMJHL draft elegibles whom I expect to improve the most in the second half of the season. Improving fast in his first season and taking more and more responsabilities in Rimouski. Currently, I would say fourth round pick but could improve a lot.

D Nikolas Brouillard, Drummondville - 6th round pick due to his physical immaturity.

G Philippe Desrosiers, Rimouski - Great in the last two months. I think he goes in the late second round and quickly closing the gap with the Fucale, Comrie and Martin trio.

Last edited by hab 4ever: 12-10-2012 at 05:36 PM.
hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Daneurism

Any notes on these players?

Gabryel Paquin Boudreau
Guillaume Gauthier

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I don't think he is flying under the radar lol
Are you saying he's been ranked well or that he doesn't deserve a ranking?

Old
12-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Any notes on these players?

Gabryel Paquin Boudreau
Guillaume Gauthier
Boudreau is a tremendous offensive player, great hands and stickhandling ability to go along with good wheels and a decent vision. I think he gets drafted, has been having a fantastic rookie season so far.

Gauthier hasn't improved much, and isn't knowing a very good season. He should have been one of Drummondville's key offensive weapon this year but he isn't producing. I doubt he gets drafted.

Quote:
Are you saying he's been ranked well or that he doesn't deserve a ranking?
I would say he is the best defenseman available from the Q this year.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
F Jérôme Verrier, Drummondville - At this point undrafted as I believe there are a few undrafted QMJHL 94s ahead of him (Dea, Clapperton, etc.) but he is fast improving though.

D Vladislav Lysenko, Sherbrooke - I don't get the Kronwall comparison. He is more like a poor man's, not as nasty, Kasparaitis. Maybe a team takes a 6th round flyer on him...
I don't agree on Verrier - Dea and Clapperton are longshots because of their size, Verrier is a bit bigger and a much more complete player. At this point, I think he could at least play a 4th line role in the NHL down the road, and maybe more if he keeps improving offensively. Dea and Clapperton are very risky.

As for Lysenko, keep in mind he is still very raw. Just a 17 years old russian making his first steps in the Q... I think he has some offensive upside, has great mobility and is already very agressive.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I would say he is the best defenseman available from the Q this year.
I agree and I'd have him in the 40-60 range but NHL Prelim rankings have him as #24 in the Q, 7th amongst D-men in the Q. On the other hand they have Gravel as the 2nd best Q d and 11th overall skater from the Q.

Craig Button doesn't have him in his top 75.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
RJQuack

I figured a thread like this was coming, but still no Dunn? Murphy?

Good analysis of the players above though, there's plenty of specs from the Q this year for a change.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I'll add another goalie in there from the Q: Philippe Trudeau. It might not look necessarily look like it in the stats, but he is MUCH better than last year, and seems to have improved just about everything, particularly his speed and control moving laterally. Decent glove, too. No one is looking at the team that has allowed the most goals in the Q, but that's hardly Trudeau's fault, imo. 6th most saves in the league in just 24 games (between 2-4 games less than the busiest goalies like Auger and P. Desrosiers), and they're in an offensive league with a defense led by Leduc and Oligny, so... lots of action for Trudeau.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
I don't agree on Verrier - Dea and Clapperton are longshots because of their size, Verrier is a bit bigger and a much more complete player. At this point, I think he could at least play a 4th line role in the NHL down the road, and maybe more if he keeps improving offensively. Dea and Clapperton are very risky.

As for Lysenko, keep in mind he is still very raw. Just a 17 years old russian making his first steps in the Q... I think he has some offensive upside, has great mobility and is already very agressive.
Willing to take a longer look on Lysenko.

I think Verrier is very average in every department but his shot. Dea is a perimeter player but much more creative and offensively gifted than Verrier. Actually, if I had to bet on one of these three making it to the NHL, I would gladly put my money on Clapperton who is fast, aggressive and solid in all three zones.

Size-wise, I don't see any difference:

Verrier is 5'11 180 pounds
Dea is 6'0" 160 pounds
Clapperton is 5'10" 180 pounds

It is not like Dea can't gain some weight in next couple of years...

Old
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'll add another goalie in there from the Q: Philippe Trudeau. It might not look necessarily look like it in the stats, but he is MUCH better than last year, and seems to have improved just about everything, particularly his speed and control moving laterally. Decent glove, too. No one is looking at the team that has allowed the most goals in the Q, but that's hardly Trudeau's fault, imo. 6th most saves in the league in just 24 games (between 2-4 games less than the busiest goalies like Auger and P. Desrosiers), and they're in an offensive league with a defense led by Leduc and Oligny, so... lots of action for Trudeau.
Nononono

It could just be personal preference but this kid gives no second effort and barely gives a first effort... He drops to his knees to make the first save then just sits there until the puck is in or cleared. He's got the size to be drafted because it's the thing to do now, get a big goalie and try to develop him but this kid doesn't seem to have the work ethic for anything like that. It could easily be because he's on a god awful team the last two seasons and he's just sour at the team in front of him but until I see him giving more of an effort, I don't care for him as an NHL prospect.

I may sound harsh on him because he does get shelled more often than not but he has been to blame for some really soft goals over the last 2 seasons. I watched him closely for a few games last season because of his size and he was considered a 6th or 7th round project pick and he has improved this season, but it's still not there.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Nononono

It could just be personal preference but this kid gives no second effort and barely gives a first effort... He drops to his knees to make the first save then just sits there until the puck is in or cleared. He's got the size to be drafted because it's the thing to do now, get a big goalie and try to develop him but this kid doesn't seem to have the work ethic for anything like that. It could easily be because he's on a god awful team the last two seasons and he's just sour at the team in front of him but until I see him giving more of an effort, I don't care for him as an NHL prospect.

I may sound harsh on him because he does get shelled more often than not but he has been to blame for some really soft goals over the last 2 seasons. I watched him closely for a few games last season because of his size and he was considered a 6th or 7th round project pick and he has improved this season, but it's still not there.
I can't speak about his work ethic, but I can tell you he's a LOT better than what I saw last year, and he really impressed me when Cape Breton was in town a few weeks ago. I was in row L of section 7 (right on the corner, just above his glove hand, for two periods), and he impressed me immensely (despite the 4-2 loss), having seen him last year. A few of us regulars in the section were wondering if it was the same guy from last year, and had to bust out the smart phones just to make double sure, lol. Not only plenty of good first efforts, but some nice second and third efforts in there as well. Couldn't blame him for any of the goals, in any event. Also consider how bad Honzik, a 2011 draft pick, has looked in his few games behind the same team.

edit: And to be clear, I'm not submitting him for some kind of top 10. A couple of under-appreciated goalies were brought up, and I think Trudeau could be one of them, too.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I can't speak about his work ethic, but I can tell you he's a LOT better than what I saw last year, and he really impressed me when Cape Breton was in town a few weeks ago. I was in row L of section 7 (right on the corner, just above his glove hand, for two periods), and he impressed me immensely (despite the 4-2 loss), having seen him last year. A few of us regulars in the section were wondering if it was the same guy from last year, and had to bust out the smart phones just to make double sure, lol. Not only plenty of good first efforts, but some nice second and third efforts in there as well. Couldn't blame him for any of the goals, in any event. Also consider how bad Honzik, a 2011 draft pick, has looked in his few games behind the same team.

edit: And to be clear, I'm not submitting him for some kind of top 10. A couple of under-appreciated goalies were brought up, and I think Trudeau could be one of them, too.
Honzik has also come off major shoulder surgery and was used terribly by Ron Choules. One of the major reasons he was fired. Honzik got a shutout in his first game with Dumont behind the bench, good start in rebuilding his confidence.

Pure numbers I get what you're saying there but Trudeau just doesn't have it. I've seen that awful team way too many times this season and Trudeau is not underrated. No matter how bad or good CB or Halifax are, they always show up against each other and play better than the rest of the season.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Willing to take a longer look on Lysenko.

I think Verrier is very average in every department but his shot. Dea is a perimeter player but much more creative and offensively gifted than Verrier. Actually, if I had to bet on one of these three making it to the NHL, I would gladly put my money on Clapperton who is fast, aggressive and solid in all three zones.

Size-wise, I don't see any difference:

Verrier is 5'11 180 pounds
Dea is 6'0" 160 pounds
Clapperton is 5'10" 180 pounds

It is not like Dea can't gain some weight in next couple of years...
I'm sorry man but having watched those players live I have to laugh at those measurements...

Dea is definitely 160 lbs (looks extremely lean) but there's no way he is 6'0, he looks very small out there

Clapperton is barely 5'8

Verrier 5'11 180lbs frame looks legit and is alright for an 18 years old. The other two are very small. I also don't agree that Verrier is average in every department, he is one of the most intense/agressive player I have seen this season, very fast and all over the offensive zone. If that guy keeps improving he will be an NHL prospect at some point.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
I'm sorry man but having watched those players live I have to laugh at those measurements...

Dea is definitely 160 lbs (looks extremely lean) but there's no way he is 6'0, he looks very small out there

Clapperton is barely 5'8

Verrier 5'11 180lbs frame looks legit and is alright for an 18 years old. The other two are very small. I also don't agree that Verrier is average in every department, he is one of the most intense/agressive player I have seen this season, very fast and all over the offensive zone. If that guy keeps improving he will be an NHL prospect at some point.
I took those from the QMJHL Website. I saw them play a few times each too. I'm really skeptical Verrier gets drafted at all, this year or next.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
markrander87

Quote:

Came here to post this.

markrander87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
insider
@MarkF_FC

One player struck me more than any other when I saw the title of this thread, and that's Shawinigan defenseman Dylan Labbé. When all is said and done, he could, IMO, end up being the best defenseman out of the Q this year.

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Ryan English
@ryanenglish_FC

Great list #57. Here is my 10

Marc-Olivier Roy - BLB - spot on description 57.
Tommy Veilleux - Victoriaville - All heart, has underrated vision. Small but brings crazy energy
Maxime Gravel - Rimouski
Laurent Dauphin - Chicoutimi
Jon Diaby - Victoriaville - I see a team taking a flyer on him in the late rounds, a physical specimen and his footwork is getting there.
Yan-Pavel Laplante - PEI - excited to see him back, was a great two-way energy player last year.
Alex Belanger - Rouyn-Noranda - Played well in Halifax and helping Rouyn overachieve this year with calm steady goaltending.
Vladislav Lysenko - Sherbrooke
Matt Murphy - Val d'Or - Was shocked when he was ranked 24th in the prelims. Great two-way defender.
Oliver Cooper - Saint John - Solid skater, good on forecheck, has size and is physical.

Not a fan of Brouillard, didn't get big minutes by any stretch against Halifax or Cape Breton and seems like a powerplay specialist at this level, let alone in the Pros.

Porier isn't a guy i like either. Played small the last few times I've seen him and skates alright for someone his size. The skills are there but don't seem like they could be translated.

Ryan English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 03:58 PM

The thing with Roy is that he can really kick in that extra gear quickly. He uses his speed, agility and especially his acceleration to really seperate himself from defenders. Plus he's a tremendous stickhandler, so to me that makes him a very good offensive prospect.

He can shoot, pass, skate, has decent size and definitely a lot of hockey sense as well.