HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
if it was up to me I would have just called 2 minutes for interference, tops
International refereeing always sides on the overreactive side of calls, unfortunately it's not the call but the injury that dictates a penalty. At worst it was a 2 mins penalty, it's a fast sport and really the Swede should have protected himself better. Imagine if that was Roberts coming down on Jonnson in the playoffs years ago and he was tossed, Toronto fans would have been in an uproar.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:20 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Not much to chose between these teams today.

Nothing for Leafs' fans to get excited about.

For all the shots at the Bruins pick, I can't say there was much good to say about Rielly. Actually, I don't think he was very good at all.
Overall a pretty pedestrian effort from all the top guys on team Canada. Heading in the top 5 guys were supposed to be RNH, Huberdeau, Shiefele, Hamilton and Rielly. Quite frankly all of them were just ok.

Hopefully they get it going when the games count.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Finished his check way late. The puck was gone quite a bit of time. Jenner was barreling down on him.
Hard to tell from the replay, but even if it had been a tad late, it isn't a worthy suspension if that is the verdict IMO. Seen a lot worse than that, that was not punished.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Interactif

I already questioned the selections on defence, but Wotherspoon and Reinhart I can see having difficulty as the tournament goes on as they face faster skilled players. Atleast Dumba can skate, Murphy is a defensive laspe machine in the waiting.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:26 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Watched both games this morning and have to say best players on the ice were the Finnish forwards.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-22-2012, 12:26 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Hard to tell from the replay, but even if it had been a tad late, it isn't a worthy suspension if that is the verdict IMO. Seen a lot worse than that, that was not punished.
Hard to tell from the replay? Listen to Bob M. They counted more than 30 digital frames, ie, approaching a second.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:27 PM
VanW27

Quote:
International refereeing always sides on the overreactive side of calls, unfortunately it's not the call but the injury that dictates a penalty. At worst it was a 2 mins penalty, it's a fast sport and really the Swede should have protected himself better. Imagine if that was Roberts coming down on Jonnson in the playoffs years ago and he was tossed, Toronto fans would have been in an uproar.
That hit was really, really late. When you hit someone in open ice, that hard/high and that late, that is intent to injure IMO. The right call was made as far as I'm concerned and he'll probably be suspended as well.

Let me just add I really like Jenner as a prospect and he's a player I would love have on the Leafs.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:31 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Watched both games this morning and have to say best players on the ice were the Finnish forwards.
anyone for the states stand out? i'm contemplating watching the game

Old
12-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
That hit was really, really late. When you hit someone in open ice, that hard/high and that late, that is intent to injure IMO. The right call was made as far as I'm concerned and he'll probably be suspended as well.

Let me just add I really like Jenner as a prospect and he's a player I would love have on the Leafs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Hard to tell from the replay? Listen to Bob M. They counted more than 30 digital frames, ie, approaching a second.
He only said it could very well be, not a slam dunk and the injury will no doubt be a factor.

I don't characterize it as a blantant late hit, this is a blatant late hit. Very different.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Interactif

This replay reminds me how pathetic a response it was by a Leafs wearing a Maple Leafs jersey.

The pretty hockey fans will love it though, sure glad Morrison is our head scout, Biggs, Devane, Broll would not stand there watching had this happened on their watch. This was a low point for Leafs fans, too bad Belak had to wait until NJ visited Toronto to get some sort of retort. But far too late IMO.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:44 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
anyone for the states stand out? i'm contemplating watching the game
Grimaldi, Pietila, then maybe Hartman.

Trouba with some physical play, and you could see the potential in Jones.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Grimaldi, I wanted him in the 2011 draft, right after Biggs.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:49 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:

Trouba with some physical play, and you could see the potential in Jones.
thanks, i got nothing else going on so i'm gonna toss it on. let the Barkov show commence

Old
12-22-2012, 12:55 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks, i got nothing else going on so i'm gonna toss it on. let the Barkov show commence
Pay attention to how the Finns clear the zone. For the most part a thing of beauty. Their skill level definitely higher (this morning) than the other 3 teams on the ice today.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Interactif

The Russians have the most skill level, they are the team to beat IMO. Canada will get better as the tourney goes on, but something is missing from this bunch. Hope I am wrong, a hot goalie though could carry this team far. Think they will be scoring challenged.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Mr Writer

I've been calling Finns in the final for month now...along with Canada, but watching Canada's 2 tune ups games... they may be out in the 1/4 final. pull up your socks boys...we are in for a another tough one this year.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I've been calling Finns in the final for month now...along with Canada, but watching Canada's 2 tune ups games... they may be out in the 1/4 final. pull up your socks boys...we are in for a another tough one this year.
Could still be some internal clock adjustments being made with the Americans and Canadians.

Going to be interesting to see who they bring over from Canada to fill in the holes with the injuries and potential suspension.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Could still be some internal clock adjustments being made with the Americans and Canadians.

Going to be interesting to see who they bring over from Canada to fill in the holes with the injuries and potential suspension.
Ya well, they better turn on those lamps on high and soak up some artificial rays. They've been in Europe for a week now..and really, traveling from NA to Europe and adjusting to time there is a lot easier than going in reverse, Europe to NA.

I don\t think HC makes any changes for Jenner. I think they'll submit him on the roster and he'll be suspended for the first 2. It will be a real blow if the IIHF suspends him for 4.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:26 PM
VanW27

Quote:
This replay reminds me how pathetic a response it was by a Leafs wearing a Maple Leafs jersey.

The pretty hockey fans will love it though, sure glad Morrison is our head scout, Biggs, Devane, Broll would not stand there watching had this happened on their watch. This was a low point for Leafs fans, too bad Belak had to wait until NJ visited Toronto to get some sort of retort. But far too late IMO.
Yeah, that was embarrassing. Sad when the only guy willing to do something was the injured, 160 lb Darcy Tucker.

Hopefully Burke's promise to deliver a tougher team will come to fruition.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:49 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Pay attention to how the Finns clear the zone. For the most part a thing of beauty. Their skill level definitely higher (this morning) than the other 3 teams on the ice today.
They have a great team this year. I've only watched then first period so far but I've been impressed how little the us has bee in their zone. Ristolainen with good physicality. I've been impressed by gostisbehere, a lot. He's stood out in both games. Trouba has been good too. Hitting hard. Grimaldi has plauyed we'll too. Should have that goal (may have changed the outcome if it did count).

Jones was good but not amazing. The raw potential is there. He looks real good when he's jumping up in the play.

Barkov's hands are beautiful. And the way he uses his body is just so good. Its rare to find a big man who understands how to use his body at that age. He showed his mettle in all situations too. Skating isn't amazing but itrs hardly the worst. Its a little awkward and slower but his leg length makes up for the speed part. His English is spotty haha

Armia and granlund impressed me against Canada.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
The Russians have the most skill level, they are the team to beat IMO. Canada will get better as the tourney goes on, but something is missing from this bunch. Hope I am wrong, a hot goalie though could carry this team far. Think they will be scoring challenged.
This tourney is honestly one of the best skill wise in a long time.

The Finns have probably their best team ever. Very strong defense with maata, pokka, ristolainen making up the core. Good game breakers in armia, teravainen, granlund and of course barkov. Goaltending is solid too
States are impressive too. Grimaldi, miller and gaudreau is a dangerous line, albeit a little small. Galchenyuk on the second is very good too. Plus their defense is great.

Canada has been looked at to death and likely has the best depth of any team.

Russia could be the most talented and might match canadas top line or close to it. Their defense is iffy though.

swedens team is strong as well, particularly on offense.

Its going to be a hell of a tourney

Old
12-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Larcos_Unal

I haven't noticed MoRiles too much in these first two games, hopefully he's just getting his feet warmed up.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
I haven't noticed MoRiles too much in these first two games, hopefully he's just getting his feet warmed up.

none of our players have been great
reilly is playing okay, IMO, playing better than hamilton

hamilton taking way to many stupid penalties
though everyone is
reilly has been okay so far

Old
12-22-2012, 08:37 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Jenner finished his check, it wasn't from behind. You hate players that actually do this?
Never really cared for Jenner in the first place.

The hit was WAY late. Deserving of a penalty for sure, suspension, i'm iffy on.

Old
12-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Al14

Too many stupid penalties will SINK Team Canada.

Gotta stay out of the penalty box or we're not even going to make the medal round!

Closed Thread