HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

News around the NHL

Old
02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
sometimes I think Kessel would be a good fit on the Islanders, but not at that price, especially when you add what he might want in $alary.

Kessel's a great offensive player albeit limited in other ways. But his speed, shot, ability to generate offense on his own is very impressive. I worry about how many one-dimensional players, offense only, a team can have though - Boyes, Moulson.
I'd worry about Kessel's new contract in 2014. While the leafs could retain some salary on his current $5.4m per contract, the isles would be on their own paying his new contract. He's rumored to be looking for $7m-$8m per. I'm not even sure the isles would go $6m per.

As you point out, Kessel is one-dimensional. Yrs after leaving Boston with that rep, he's still weak defensively and avoids physical play.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I do not want Kessel unless Snow pulls off grand larceny and gets him for peanuts and I doubt Nonis is going to do that. Even then, I'd still have to think long and hard about it.

Aside from all the other factors already mentioned, it would be absolutely exhausting arguing with Leaf fans about him on here. The addition of one of HF's biggest whipping boys to this team? We get already get enough crap, let's just add that to the mix. The same applies to Ovechkin.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I do not want Kessel unless Snow pulls off grand larceny and gets him for peanuts and I doubt Nonis is going to do that. Even then, I'd still have to think long and hard about it.

Aside from all the other factors already mentioned, it would be absolutely exhausting arguing with Leaf fans about him on here. The addition of one of HF's biggest whipping boys to this team? We get already get enough crap, let's just add that to the mix. The same applies to Ovechkin.

Someone posted that Dreger is cousins with Leafs gm Nonis.Dreger is reporting the leafs would demand a high pick + either a good top 6 player or good top 4 player.

That's a far cry from Leaf fans insisting, that it would take Grabner/Nino/Reinhart or Travis/Nino/Strome.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
KrisBeKreame

Ignoring price of acquisition and contract, I think Nash would have been a Perfect fit for us. He would do everything we needed out of a 1st line wing.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:44 PM
original islander

Al Montoya with the shutout 1-0 over Ottawa. Glad for him, the other time I seen him play this year was horrific. Ottawa struggling without Spezza.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
scott99

OT-Other teams rookies

I find it kind of weird, that other teams in the NHL, even teams that are better than the Islanders (90% of the NHL), have found room on their ACTIVE roster for rookies to not only play, but have success. The Rangers for instance, with all the famous names and stars, still are finding room for guys like 19 year old JT Miller and Chris Kreider, and the Devils 18 year old Stefan Matteau scored his first NHL goal today.

These are 2 teams that finished in the top 4 last year, and have high priced big name players in their roster, yet find room for their top prospects.

Outside of Tavares, Moulson and Grabner, our forwards really are below average offensively. If we continue to struggle, why not bring up Neiderreiter and Nelson to give our lines a boost ? Actual real NHL teams are doing it, why not try it ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I find it kind of weird, that other teams in the NHL, even teams that are better than the Islanders (90% of the NHL), have found room on their ACTIVE roster for rookies to not only play, but have success. The Rangers for instance, with all the famous names and stars, still are finding room for guys like 19 year old JT Miller and Chris Kreider, and the Devils 18 year old Stefan Matteau scored his first NHL goal today.

These are 2 teams that finished in the top 4 last year, and have high priced big name players in their roster, yet find room for their top prospects.

Outside of Tavares, Moulson and Grabner, our forwards really are below average offensively. If we continue to struggle, why not bring up Neiderreiter and Nelson to give our lines a boost ? Actual real NHL teams are doing it, why not try it ?
Then again, aren't both Cizikas and Hickey still true NHL rookies? Also, I believe Strait and Finley are too.

And I forget the exact cut-off when it comes to games played, but aren't Ullstrom and McDonald still NHL rookies?

And then we've got our back-up goalie, this kid Dipietro...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:01 PM
original islander

Quote:

I thought the same thing when I seen Miller out there. Even if it's only for a couple of games just to gauge how they're progressing. Some guys like Hamonic rise to the challenge and some guys need more time.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:

Actually something I wondered with watching Isles this year and years past that I thought of bringing up here but decided not too because I wasn't sure how it would be received

Plenty of youth is coming into league on top teams but some of the lower tier teams seem to be loaded with fading vets/average talent blocking some of the youth

Hawks broke Leddy into NHL as a 20 yr old ,, Saad is on our team as 20 yr old rookie this year

I was expecting more of a youth push by Isles in recent years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Actually something I wondered with watching Isles this year and years past that I thought of bringing up here but decided not too because I wasn't sure how it would be received

Plenty of youth is coming into league on top teams but some of the lower tier teams seem to be loaded with fading vets/average talent blocking some of the youth

Hawks broke Leddy into NHL as a 20 yr old ,, Saad is on our team as 20 yr old rookie this year

I was expecting more of a youth push by Isles in recent years
I think a lot of us expected Donovan/Nino/Nelson to be in training camp, with Donovan at least making the isles on the 3rd pairing.

Snow didn't invite any of the three to camp, told Nino he wanted him playing 20+ mins a night, in all situations. I'm guessing he told Nelson and Donovan something similar.

Reinhart had a good 1st training camp. Strome had a quiet camp.
Kabanov missed most of the first half with cut tendons. De haan's missed almost all season with a shoulder injury.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:

That is because they don't surround their rookies with vets who have lost their game completely, or other rookies & prospects who are still looking for their complete games.

Put a decent prospect in a solid environment and watch them grow.

We are doing the opposite, and you can thank Bailey, Kyle, and Nino for being the proof in the pudding. I don't even want to think about how much better Tavares might have been this year if he had been provided with actual veterans with well rounded games over the past three. How many points has he already forfeited...

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Ignoring price of acquisition and contract, I think Nash would have been a Perfect fit for us. He would do everything we needed out of a 1st line wing.
Well Nash made a short list of teams he wanted to play for and Surprise Surprise the Rangers were on it. Though if I were the GM of the Bluejackets I would of said Tough **** and your going where I get the best deal. Regardless I wanted Nash on this team for the last 3 years but I would love to put up some of the comments by the arm chair experts here that claim "oh he is overrated and has proven nothing in Columbus"

Trust me, go back and youll laugh at some of the comments regarding Rick Nash by the fans on this board

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:22 AM
CREW99AW

I agreed with the Avs, that 22 yr old ROR was not worth $5 per after one impressive season, but I'm surprised the Avs have let things turn so bitter with one of their top players.

Doesn't make sense to cut your nose off to spite your face.
We didn't see the Habs trade an unhappy Subban or the Isles trade an unhappy Vis.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...be-over/12550/
Posted February 12, 2013, 8:53 pm MT
Ryan O’Reilly’s days as an Av look to be over
While the Avs were optimistic right after the lockout ended that they could sign O’Reilly and my sources said he would not be traded, things have changed and it appears a virtual certainty O’Reilly will be traded now. The sides became entrenched in their positions, things got a little personal and now there appears no turning back. The only questions remaining are to which team and for which players/draft picks in return.

Darren Dreger of TSN reported tonight the Avs are asking for a “roster player and a top prospect.” That sounds about right. The Avs will not confirm that’s what they are asking for. They won’t confirm much of anything right now. They have gone into bunker mentality mode on the Factor.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I agreed with the Avs, that 22 yr old ROR was not worth $5 per after one impressive season, but I'm surprised the Avs have let things turn so bitter with one of their top players.

Doesn't make sense to cut your nose off to spite your face.
We didn't see the Habs trade an unhappy Subban or the Isles trade an unhappy Vis.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...be-over/12550/
Posted February 12, 2013, 8:53 pm MT
Ryan O’Reilly’s days as an Av look to be over
While the Avs were optimistic right after the lockout ended that they could sign O’Reilly and my sources said he would not be traded, things have changed and it appears a virtual certainty O’Reilly will be traded now. The sides became entrenched in their positions, things got a little personal and now there appears no turning back. The only questions remaining are to which team and for which players/draft picks in return.

Darren Dreger of TSN reported tonight the Avs are asking for a “roster player and a top prospect.” That sounds about right. The Avs will not confirm that’s what they are asking for. They won’t confirm much of anything right now. They have gone into bunker mentality mode on the Factor.
Maybe I am old school, but when you are in a position like the Avs are, how can you demand ANYTHING in return? Obviously there will be a market and you have to start out asking high, but its a forgone conclusion that the kid will not wear an Avs sweater again. Thus, you do not have all the cards in your deck to play with. You are behind the eight ball in negotiations.

Furthermore, the kid seems to value him self pretty darn high for only one quality season. We have seen plenty of players have a one and done. You are very much buyer beware.

Thus, a draft pick and an above average roster player should be able to pry the kid away.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Maybe I am old school, but when you are in a position like the Avs are, how can you demand ANYTHING in return? Obviously there will be a market and you have to start out asking high, but its a forgone conclusion that the kid will not wear an Avs sweater again. Thus, you do not have all the cards in your deck to play with. You are behind the eight ball in negotiations.

Furthermore, the kid seems to value him self pretty darn high for only one quality season. We have seen plenty of players have a one and done. You are very much buyer beware.

Thus, a draft pick and an above average roster player should be able to pry the kid away.
Yes but a good GM, even if he is holding a pair of 7's has to play his hand like he has a pair of Kings. If not you lose the hand before it is even played. Now let's see if other GM's call his bluff or if he get's someone to fold a hand to him.
And I totally agree that ROR has put himself on top of a pedestal. Would make me very weary of trading for him.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
RWWallpaper

...A good GM plays one GM against the other to drive the price up. Regardless if it's common knowledge that the player in question won't play for your organization anymore. You get the GM's into thinking that there are a lot of other teams looking to acquire his services and hopefully one panics into giving more than he probably should...

Ask the Bruins about the Kessel deal to see just how well you can do with a disgruntled player if you play your cards right.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
steveat

Would you guys want to trade for O'Reilly? Who would you give up for him?

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
mabisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Okposo would be my favorite. Not sure the Avs would bite though.

mabisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
RWWallpaper

There isn't a guy in our entire organization short of JT and Hammer that I wouldn't be willing to part with for O'reilly...He is EXACTLY the type of second line center we need to squeeze between JT and Franzy. Very good hands, can produce offensively, leader and as tenacious a forechecker as you're going to find around the league. LOVE his game and would pay a hefty price to bring him here.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
At $5m per...nothing. Because if ROR won't take a bridge contract for his beloved Avs, like Del Zotto did for the Rangers and like Subban did for the Habs, I think there is zero chance that he takes one for the NYI.

I think the Avs 2 yr/$7m offer is very fair. My surprise, is that they are looking petty, taking what looks like a personal offense to a business matter. Why have they stopped reaching out to ROR ? Why the stubborn take it or leave it stance for a key player? They should be meeting with ROR and his rep, pointing out the recent bridge contracts signed by very young players.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
This kid would be a perfect fit on this team would be a huge pick up and is one of those smart moves that could help propel the rebuild forward. The Isles won't go for it so I'm not even getting my hopes up.. I just can't see them giving up players/prospects and then hand out a big contract.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Huge blow to the Senators tonight as Erik Karlsson and Matt Cooke went into the corner fighting for a puck and this happened:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/864712/clip/0

For those who can't watch the video.. Cooke came up behind Karlsson with his left leg in the air and when he stepped down it appears that the blade went down right on to the back EK's ankle. Karlsson needed help getting off the ice and it is now being reported as a lacerated Achilles tendon.

From the Sens twitter feed:
Quote:
Update on Karlsson: Erik suffered a laceration to his left achilles, which will require surgery to repair. He will be out indefinitely.
https://twitter.com/NHL_Sens/status/301880343248633856

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Terrible news about Karlsson.

I think the use of Kevlar socks is going to rise big time. I'll buy Johnny a pair right now and send it to him.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Sucks about Karlsson.

02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
wow, another dirty play and season ended by the "reformed" cooke.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote