HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News around the NHL

Old
04-20-2013, 06:54 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Does anyone here remember when the Devils made their big run in 2011 in the second half and went from the outhouse to almost the playoffs? They had gone on a 12-1-2 tear and it seemed like every hockey media outlet had story after story about their incredible run. It had an almost Cowboys America's Team 78 feel with the way every story was about their run. They didn't even make it.

Where is the chatter about the Isles then? If anything a team which is young and stuck in a long rebuild should be more of a surprise to come from the bottom feeder section of the standings and win their way towards the playoffs in this fashion.

The Isles have gone 11-1-2. The lack of exposure seems odd considering they couldn't string together 3 wins in a row before this run.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:46 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
RNH is likely having the same shoulder surgery that Hall had. Taylor Hall missed 7 months.
With MacT saying in his recent presser, that the Oilers needed take to a risk, make a trade, fans had been speculating that he'd trade Hemsky,Gagner,Eberle or his #1 pick.

I can't see him trading Gagner now. Gagner becomes his #1 center with RNH out.

If Eberle is shopped, I hope Snow is kicking the tires.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...203995161.html
The team said on its Twitter account that Nugent-Hopkins is flying to Cleveland to have his shoulder examined and that surgery is likely.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:11 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
RNH is likely having the same shoulder surgery that Hall had. Taylor Hall missed 7 months.
With MacT saying in his recent presser, that the Oilers needed take to a risk, make a trade, fans had been speculating that he'd trade Hemsky,Gagner,Eberle or his #1 pick.

I can't see him trading Gagner now. Gagner becomes his #1 center with RNH out.

If Eberle is shopped, I hope Snow is kicking the tires.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...203995161.html
The team said on its Twitter account that Nugent-Hopkins is flying to Cleveland to have his shoulder examined and that surgery is likely.
But for what?

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 04-24-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Chicago has won the presidents trophy with tonight's victory. The islanders have been playing so well and has us so pumped up and the hawks have 21.. TWENTY ONE!.. More points than us kind of crazy haha they have played so well all season.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:49 AM
bauerpower

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
But for what?
I was thinking about this today. How about Eberle for G.Reinhart? Exactly what both teams need. A winger for JT. Reinhart would be perfect for them.

bauerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:06 AM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerpower View Post
I was thinking about this today. How about Eberle for G.Reinhart? Exactly what both teams need. A winger for JT. Reinhart would be perfect for them.
Edmonton loved Reinhart at the draft too

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:43 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Edmonton loved Reinhart at the draft too
No thanks on Eberle, especially for Reinhart.

Eberle is a good winger, but at $6M/per? He's a good offensive player, but he's soft and offers little outside of burying the biscuit. Sound familiar? We moan about Moulson and Boyes, Moulson and Eberle would be a better combination for JT in terms of production... yet would suffer from the same problems.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Done deal from the Islanders. No way Edmonton does it straight up.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:54 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I have never commented on a message board fantasy trade. Usually they are too one sided and/or not understanding of each teams progression/ budget/ time period.

BUT

This one actually makes a lot of sense. Even with Eberles large contract they won't be selling him at a discount. The Islanders would have to add to this deal probably an NHL ready forward and a decent draft pick or draft pick swap of some kind.

That said, I doubt Edmonton trades eberle. They will look to move other pieces first. Only after they exhaust those options and fail at getting the right defenseman back would they consider moving eberle. And even then. The islanders would have a lot of competition trying to acquire him.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
But for what?
Oilers want a top 6 pf and to improve their D.

With Strome/Nino/Nelson knocking on the NHL door, I wouldn't want Snow to wildly overpay. The isles aren't desperate. The have other potential options, recent first round picks.

Eberle's had season's of I think 18 goals, 34 goals and 13 goals( this season). Oiler fans point to that 34 goal season, but he had an amazingly high shooting % that season and people questioned if it was sustainable. It wasn't.

If I'm in Snow's position, I am arguing that Reinhart and Nino are both nhl ready.
Make an offer, if it's accepted fine, if it's rejected that's fine too.

Offer A: Reinhart + 1st or MacDonald+ 1st
Offer B: Nino+ 1st.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:02 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
No thanks on Eberle, especially for Reinhart.

Eberle is a good winger, but at $6M/per? He's a good offensive player, but he's soft and offers little outside of burying the biscuit. Sound familiar? We moan about Moulson and Boyes, Moulson and Eberle would be a better combination for JT in terms of production... yet would suffer from the same problems.
Darn. I had forgotten about that $6m per salary.

Oilers imo overpaid on those contracts for Eberle/Hall. Gagner's having a good season and a ufa in 2014. I expect the Oilers are going to have to give him about $5m per, on a 4-5 yr deal.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:55 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Oilers want a top 6 pf and to improve their D.

With Strome/Nino/Nelson knocking on the NHL door, I wouldn't want Snow to wildly overpay. The isles aren't desperate. The have other potential options, recent first round picks.

Eberle's had season's of I think 18 goals, 34 goals and 13 goals( this season). Oiler fans point to that 34 goal season, but he had an amazingly high shooting % that season and people questioned if it was sustainable. It wasn't.

If I'm in Snow's position, I am arguing that Reinhart and Nino are both nhl ready.
Make an offer, if it's accepted fine, if it's rejected that's fine too.

Offer A: Reinhart + 1st or MacDonald+ 1st
Offer B: Nino+ 1st.
Both good calls, but I'd rather package more for Bobby Ryan and try to keep Reinhart in the process.....maybe see how the deal could change with Pelech subbed in?

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
Both good calls, but I'd rather package more for Bobby Ryan and try to keep Reinhart in the process.....maybe see how the deal could change with Pelech subbed in?
I would much rather give up a package for Bobby Ryan than Eberle. Ryan is much more proven, has a better contract, and is more capable of driving the play rather than an opportunistic sniper like Eberle. Even still, there are still questions surrounding Eberle as to whether last season was a statistical outlier considering he sported a crazy shooting percentage which many questioned the sustainability. I don't think he's what he's shown this year, but he's somewhere probably in the middle which I have a hard time justifying paying $6M per year for 5 more seasons.

I doubt Ryan is available, but if he is... he is the superior player and a much better fit stylistically for JT. Boyes is a passenger/leech, Eberle is more in that mold of player albeit a superior player. I'd rather look for internal options over trading for Eberle and the cost associated.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:57 PM
CREW99AW

Ouch.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...204992331.html
Enough of Buff: Get rid of him
Lacks commitment, discipline of true pro

We all know how talented Byfuglien is and how he can grab a game and dominate it. When he's moving downhill and feeling right, Byfuglien is a force like no other. But there's another side to Byfuglien. One of poor choices and fatigued play.

It begins and ends with commitment. Commitment to play a responsible style on a consistent basis and commitment to train like a professional athlete.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
CREW99AW

Flyer's continue to try to use their deep pockets, to raid other team's rosters.
The Blues with an internal cap, have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Stewart set to become rfas.They need to get Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo signed, before Philly offers them huge offersheets.

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN/stat...28138526597121
Dont be surprised if Flyers try an RFA offer sheet to StL' Pietrangelo this summer. After last summer, they MUST fix the defense

Last edited by CREW99AW: 04-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Strummergas
Regular User

Vanek might be available.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/29/42...buffalo-sabres

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Bunk Moreland

Flyers getting pietrangelo would be horrendous hopefully St. Louis gives the kid a long term contract cause Philly will throw the bank to him. It didnt work for them last year with weber so hopefully they swing and miss here too.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

Quote:
Flyer's continue to try to use their deep pockets, to raid other team's rosters.
The Blues with an internal cap, have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Stewart set to become ufas.They need to get Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo signed, before Philly offers them huge offersheets.

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN/stat...28138526597121
Dont be surprised if Flyers try an RFA offer sheet to StL' Pietrangelo this summer. After last summer, they MUST fix the defense
Earth to Garth Snow. Calling Garth Snow. Use Nino and trade for Pietrangelo. Add whatever else you need.

Do it!

Old
04-29-2013, 01:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Earth to Garth Snow. Calling Garth Snow. Use Nino and trade for Pietrangelo. Add whatever else you need.

Do it!
I'll be surprised if Pietrangelo is available.I expect the Blues will rush to sign him before July.

But, I wonder if Shattenkirk will be available.The Blues have an internal cap.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:

Do it!
Pietrangelo would cost so freaking much he's about as valuable to that team as JT is to us which is why an offer sheet makes sense but the blues aren't gonna let him walk.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I'd expect Snow would insist on an extension, before completing the trade.

If the Isles don't re-sign Streit, they have the $5m per they offered Streit.
Vanek's making $7m-$7.5m per.

Could the isles afford Vanek longterm? The Sabres would only be able to eat salary in 2013-2014.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I'd expect Snow would insist on an extension, before completing the trade.
He'd have to wait until after the free agency period, then. May be too late at that point.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Not sure where he'd fit on the Isles, unless they don't re-sign Boyes.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
He'd have to wait until after the free agency period, then. May be too late at that point.
I'd hope Snow would look elsewhere then.

I'm not confident, that Wang would greenlight a $7m per, longterm addition.Better to talk to Vanek and his agents, find out their salary demands and know whether it's some Wang would say yes to.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Poliz24

Hey guys I just finished looking at the mock drafts on NHL.com and Detroit has the 13th overall pick but they made the playoffs. Does anyone know why that is?

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote