HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

2013 Draft

Old
11-28-2012, 10:59 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
2013 Draft

As it's now appearing less likely that we will have a season I think it's time we start looking ahead to the 2013 draft, assuming that a deal is signed so we can have a draft. Under the assumption that the NHL uses the same system that they used in 05 we would have 1 ball. So here are 2 scenarios

1. We hit the jackpot and we're picking 4th overall, who do you take and why?

2. We are picking 24th overall, who do you want to take and why?

If we're picking 4th overall I'd assume that Nathan MacKinnon & Seth Jones are gone for certain. I'm not too sure about #3 but I'd think it would be 1 of Barkov/Drouin. I would take whichever one of Barkov/Droiun isn't picked and call it a day.

1. MacKinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov/Drouin
4. Barkov/Drouin

If we're picking in the 24th slot I think we should be going after someone someone with big potential (even if it means big risk) like William Carrier, Adam Erne or my dream scenario of Max Domi or Josh Morrissey.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Wings will have two balls instead of three since they made the playoffs the past three seasons (but haven't drafted 1st overall in the past three). There will be plenty of other teams with better chance of picking high.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
joe89

4th overall is Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan. At least one of them will be available. Get that #1 center prospect. Picking 6th would make the choice easier if you don't like options

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Rzombo4 prez

If they don't play at all this season, I would be happy with any pick between 1st and 14th.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
TS Quint

A centre with size and skill..... Just like everyone else. But seems to be especially lacking in the Wings system. 2nd round Defense.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
ricky0034

don't know enough to even try and guess at 24th but if the Wings had the 4th pick i'd take Lindholm and run(assuming Barkov is gone anyways which I think he would be)

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
InjuredChoker

Guessing 24th is crapshoot, kids can and will rise and fall a lot between then and now.

Oh man I would want Jones from this draft.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Of the 24th I would expect defense. But I am quite high on Erne if he is around, but that would mean we need to start dealing some of the wing players. Which we need to do anyway quite frankly, there aren't enough spots for all these guys, I know some will fail but still how many guys can we have at that position.

Erne is probably the best Dustin Brown or Ryan Callahan type player in this draft.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Nikita Zadorov, want this guy to be selected especially if he slips out of the first round somehow because of the Russian factor. His rights are even owned by CSKA in the KHL. So we should be able to have a good relationship there, if he does make the choice to go back to Russia after his draft year.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
StormSurge9

I have seen the OHL guys lots, I think Monahan fits the Red Wings mold of having an offensive player who is also defensively responsible. One of the best all around talents available.

As for if we were picking 24th, I have seen Jason Dickinson enough to know he would be a great pick around this time.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Datsyukian

Holland would probably trade the pick.

Datsyukian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:11 AM
XO
Au Revoir Moyes

vCash: 50
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin

one of them unless MacKinnon or Jones were still available..

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:13 AM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian View Post
I know you're probably joking but i think they have said something about trying to hold onto their picks from now on.

In the Draft there are some pretty good d-men that could drop out of the top 15 because of the great forwards in the draft.

I would like to see the wings pick one of these guys

Jones (obviously)
Pulock
Ristolainen
Morrisey
Nurse
Zadorov

At this point i would say the only d man of the group that is guaranteed top 10 is Jones, i think Pulock likely will as well though. It is also possible 3 or 4 of them could go top 10 depending on who is picking where.

Last edited by MBauer: 12-05-2012 at 03:26 AM.
MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Barkov would be the best fit to our system. Big, defensively well rounded playmaking center. Russian skill with Finnish mentality. That just kills.

He is flourishing in our Finnish team. Recently acquired San Jose Sharks defeceman Justin Braun described Tappara's current playing style to be most "detroitredwings-like" style in SM-Liiga.

And Barkov is our best player, as 17-year-old. I've never seen anything like this in my life, I'm quite sure we are talking about a generational player for Finnish hockey. Maybe Saku Koivu had the same impact at his time. And Selänne.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:29 AM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
I have seen the OHL guys lots, I think Monahan fits the Red Wings mold of having an offensive player who is also defensively responsible. One of the best all around talents available.

As for if we were picking 24th, I have seen Jason Dickinson enough to know he would be a great pick around this time.

Monahan for sure would be a great pick, though if we had that good of a pick and Barkov was on the table still I would rather take him first, both play a complete games but to me Barkov has higher offensive potential.

*Edit, guy above me beat me to it.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 05:17 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Just so we are clear Barkov and Monahan fit everyones system.

You can hope Lindholm falls but not those two.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:47 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyukian View Post

16th overall for Kyle Quincey.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
newfy

I'm hoping the wings get a decently high pick this year. Realistically theyre picking mid round. Max Domi could fall a bit because of his size but he seems to be LEGIT every time I've watched him and much like his Dad size isnt much of a factor because hes so stocky.

Kerby Rychel wouldnt be bad either in the middle of the round, same with Erne if they want safer types. I actually wouldnt mind a high risk high reward guy.

I think theres a chance that Nichuskin, Pulock or Shinkaruk could fall (due to size) to the wings pick if they luck out and end up near 10.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I'm hoping the wings get a decently high pick this year. Realistically theyre picking mid round. Max Domi could fall a bit because of his size but he seems to be LEGIT every time I've watched him and much like his Dad size isnt much of a factor because hes so stocky.

Kerby Rychel wouldnt be bad either in the middle of the round, same with Erne if they want safer types. I actually wouldnt mind a high risk high reward guy.

I think theres a chance that Nichuskin, Pulock or Shinkaruk could fall (due to size) to the wings pick if they luck out and end up near 10.
I would love to grab Pulock. *If* we lucked out and ended up with a pick between 4-10, I take him. I He is listed as 6'1" 211 lbs. He logs minutes in all situations. The Wheat kings have a - 40 goals for/against differential and he is a +14 with 25 pts in 24 games! He is a decent skater, distributes the puck well and has a hell of a shot! He scored 19 goals last season and has 9 already this year. As a 18 year old he is wearing the "C" for Brandon. He identifies the defensive aspect as the weakest part of his game and has been working hard to be a two way defender, "I consider myself an offensive style of defenseman, but I’ve been working hard to become more of an overall two-way style of defenseman. The defensive zone has always been a struggle for me, but as I mentioned, I’ve been making improvements there."

On a more personal note, he is coached by Kelly McCrimmon, Brother of Brad. This article touches on the relationship he and Kelly have built due to tragic circumstances:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...041707676.html

SirloinUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
ChadS

Am I the only one who thinks the Wings will have a lower pick if there is a season? I don't know much about the NA prospects but if the we have a chance at Ristolainen around #20, he would be a great pick. Button had him at 23 (falling).

But I really think they need an offensive center so hopefully there's some good players left when the Wings pick.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Part of me really thinks they need to go Defense and pick a kid who could be a stud on the blueline. Outside of Sproul and Oullett, the corps gets awfully thin.. At least upfront we have the likes of Nyquist, Jarn, Pulks, Jurco, Tatar, Frk to give us some hope.

We need someone who can log a lot of minutes and potentially play in all situations. Ideally, I would love a Brent Seabrook clone. Too bad we cant make a trade with Florida for Petrovic.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Rzombo4 prez

He certainly isn't first round material but does anyone know what ever happened to Emil Lundberg? I know he was passed over in last year's draft (due to his skating I believe).

Old
12-06-2012, 01:23 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
He certainly isn't first round material but does anyone know what ever happened to Emil Lundberg? I know he was passed over in last year's draft (due to his skating I believe).
In hindsight looks like he was passed over for good reason. His stride remains heavy. He's been about the same as last year but held back a bit in minutes since Hagelin and Read joined his team. I still think he's got upside though. But I doubt anyone will draft him, wait to see if he progresses and if so sign him in free agency.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
In hindsight looks like he was passed over for good reason. His stride remains heavy. He's been about the same as last year but held back a bit in minutes since Hagelin and Read joined his team. I still think he's got upside though. But I doubt anyone will draft him, wait to see if he progresses and if so sign him in free agency.
I figured as much when I realized he got cut from the WJC team. Do you have any opinions on Robert Hagg?

Old
12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
I figured as much when I realized he got cut from the WJC team. Do you have any opinions on Robert Hagg?
He's the opposite skating wise, at least.. A bit inconsistent but really high offensive upside with a big shot. Not very polished defensively yet. He's very willing to engage in physical play though. Bit of a risk and reward pick I figure for the team that picks him.