HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Clearly we have a huge flop of a draft every 5 years...1997, 2002, 2007...2012? Gaunce will be good...not sure about the rest...could go either way but that draft was just 6 months ago.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:59 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
Hm, after seeing that McNally highlight, i'm tempting to make one for Evan McEneny but since i'm a total noob in video editing, i'm not going to bother..i dont even know what program to use ...woof
Windows Movie Maker, or iMovie (Mac) if you are a beginner. Adobe Premiere, or Final Cut Pro (Mac) if you want to get into the real nitty gritty advanced stuff.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:02 AM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
The fact that every positive highlight involved him skating forwards somewhat dampens expectations.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
The fact that every positive highlight involved him skating forwards somewhat dampens expectations.
I guess he should moonwalk straight into the crease next time then?

In all seriousness, his lateral movement in the offensive zone seems fine.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:31 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

Pretty sure he was lamenting the fact there were no good highlights of him skating backwards.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:

Old
12-18-2012, 03:38 AM
jigsaw99

McNally looks like a poor mans Schultz

Old
12-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Sorta...like I told my friend, bigfatjoe1, he's definitely gonna play NHL games.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Yep.

His game isn't quite as fluid as Schultz's right now, but is also a year younger. Hopefully he can make the big jump soon.

Old
12-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Quote:
Yep.

His game isn't quite as fluid as Schultz's right now, but is also a year younger. Hopefully he can make the big jump soon.
I'll give him 2014-15 to play with the big squad. He's going to be a good player whether it's with Chicago/whoever or Vancouver but he's gonna make it.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:46 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
burned a lot of guys with pure skating. Would have been nice to see a little more become of it once he gets to the other end.
Hey man, that alone is good enough for a spot on Steve Spott's team Canada.

Great video feebster, really nice to get a peek at McNally. Didn't appreciate before how tall he is, nice long stick (Pierre will like that). I sure hope he plays somewhere this season, I'd hate to see him stagnate.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:14 AM
BerSTUzzi

Another thing I noticed about the McNally rushes is his team acts like they don't know what to do. There was multiple occasions on his rushes when his team was puck watching. If you throw those rushes in with pro players that know where to go, he'll be even more dangerous.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Another thing I noticed about the McNally rushes is his team acts like they don't know what to do. There was multiple occasions on his rushes when his team was puck watching. If you throw those rushes in with pro players that know where to go, he'll be even more dangerous.
The problem is that in the professional hockey (at least North American professional hockey) defensemen rushes likes those in the video don't occur that often. NHL teams play such stronger systems that there is absolutely no way that McNally would be able to pull of most of those rushes. Hell, even in the video, many of the rushes end with him being trapped at the side boards and just dumping the puck in while none of the other players were in a good position to retrieve it.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:37 AM
galiano

So what happens now with McNally ? He probably isn't ready for the AHL. Maybe the USHL or could he play in the CHL ? If he hasn't lost his scholarship maybe he just sits for a year. The kid looks to have real potential so let's hope he gets back to playin.

He looks like a keeper in the video but can he play defence ?

Old
12-18-2012, 11:52 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
So what happens now with McNally ? He probably isn't ready for the AHL. Maybe the USHL or could he play in the CHL ? If he hasn't lost his scholarship maybe he just sits for a year. The kid looks to have real potential so let's hope he gets back to playin.

He looks like a keeper in the video but can he play defence ?
He's 21 too old for CHL and USHL, its either sit out a year and miss an entire year of development of go play pro in ECHL or AHL.

We'll probably know more after Christmas as he and his family will have time to work through a decision.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:01 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's 21 too old for CHL and USHL, its either sit out a year and miss an entire year of development of go play pro in ECHL or AHL.

We'll probably know more after Christmas as he and his family will have time to work through a decision.
I just hope he factors my entertainment level into his decision.

I guess he could conceivably go to a Euro league too if he was going to go pro, eh? Better than Kalamazoo.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I just hope he factors my entertainment level into his decision.

I guess he could conceivably go to a Euro league too if he was going to go pro, eh? Better than Kalamazoo.
What league could he go to in Europe that is better than the ECHL and where he would be able to get consistent playing time? I don't know which one. Personally I think a contract with the Wolves would be the best, he has a chance to play pro hockey, and the ECHL should be a higher level than College anyway.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:38 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
What league could he go to in Europe that is better than the ECHL and where he would be able to get consistent playing time? I don't know which one. Personally I think a contract with the Wolves would be the best, he has a chance to play pro hockey, and the ECHL should be a higher level than College anyway.
You don't think he'd get playing time in something like the second Swedish league (Allsvenskan? Probably just butchered the name) or say Austria or DEL? I won't pretend to know what kind of skill level the mainland leagues have.

I just worry he's a bit too much of a lightweight to go bang in the AHL or ECHL yet.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
You don't think he'd get playing time in something like the second Swedish league (Allsvenskan? Probably just butchered the name) or say Austria or DEL? I won't pretend to know what kind of skill level the mainland leagues have.

I just worry he's a bit too much of a lightweight to go bang in the AHL or ECHL yet.
Austria maybe. DEL and Allsvenskan, no. I can't see any team in one of those leagues taking a flyer on a guy right out of College with questionable defence.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Austria maybe. DEL and Allsvenskan, no. I can't see any team in one of those leagues taking a flyer on a guy right out of College with questionable defence.
I think he would easily get signed in either of those leagues with his production. It's not as if he couldn't contribute anything, he would likely be near the top of scoring charts for defensemen in either of those league. There's always a team willing to take a flyer on a guy like that. His frame and lack of physical play would be less of an issue on the big ice and the excellent skating would be huge.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Wisp

I ultimately don't believe McNally will ever play for us.

And I 'm not not talking about his ability to play in the NHL, either.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post

I see it the same way, is he wholly reliant on his ability to rush the puck? Drafting his was a good idea though. It made sense to take this kind of chance in the 4th round. However, what is this player's future looking like when he is a puck rusher, rover when the Canucks don't play that way.

Hate to bring up DET again, but they constantly target players that can play in _their_ system. These same guys might be devalued by others, which just makes it easier for DET to find that value in the latter rounds. Look at a player like Adam Alqvist. His main attribute is hockey sense. Small, not that great of a skater, but his mind for the game is evident. They take this kind of guy and he's got a very real shot to crack their roster at some point.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I see it the same way, is he wholly reliant on his ability to rush the puck? Drafting his was a good idea though. It made sense to take this kind of chance in the 4th round. However, what is this player's future looking like when he is a puck rusher, rover when the Canucks don't play that way.

Hate to bring up DET again, but they constantly target players that can play in _their_ system. These same guys might be devalued by others, which just makes it easier for DET to find that value in the latter rounds. Look at a player like Adam Alqvist. His main attribute is hockey sense. Small, not that great of a skater, but his mind for the game is evident. They take this kind of guy and he's got a very real shot to crack their roster at some point.
So we need more Evan Fullers?

Old
12-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

People also constantly overrate Detroit's prospects just because they can put up points at lower levels.

Just look at Teemu Pulkkinen, talked about as if he was a total steal in the 4th round but has regressed every year since his post-draft year. Now has 14 points in 32 games in SM-liiga, 1 more point than Hansen in 17 more games. Suddenly you won't hear his name brought up much anymore.

They drafted Sproul in the 2nd round in 2011, Corrado is a better prospect picked in the 5th round.

People talk about Canucks not having a single guy make the NHL since 2008 (which isn't even true since we had Hodgson), but guess what? Last Red Wings prospect to make the NHL full time was drafted in 2006.

And it's not like they've been killing it on the free agent market either. Canucks snagged Lack and Tanev, both probably comparable to a late 1st or 2nd round pick. Detroit has no one.

There was a time when Montreal was the team with a shiny prospect pool, everyone producing amazing numbers in lower leagues and the future was bright. How did that work out for them?

Last edited by Tiranis: 12-18-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Cocoa Crisp

McNally's highlight reel reminds me of another #8 on D: Sandis Ozolinsh.

I LOL'd at the circle back to lose the forechecker move he pulled off twice. It's a classic NHL 2K move! Not a chance it would work on NHL ice with NHL forwards though.

Closed Thread