HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Is this a dig? Hahah I don't think they have postings for this. And tough to crack what looks to be an old boys club.

Not a dig, actually wondered if you had tried finding out about this.

Quote:
Tommernes, I think, has top 4 upside in that he can eat huge minutes by playing smart and efficient defense, move the puck well and skates very smoothly. He's a steady guy who can run a PP, shot is decent. He spent the majority of last season on the right side and this season on the left, so he is fairly versatile. But I'd be happy if he can make this team in any capacity. I am still hesitant after witnessing firsthand how Erixon flopped with the Wolves. They play a similar kind of game in the SEL, minute munching two way d men. So there is always that risk that Tommernes may not adapt well to the NA game.

I was thinking about Erixon when asking that question. Tommernes seems to be on the smaller side as far as D men go, like Erixon, so I'm not sure he'll be able to handle the rigors of the AHL/NHL. Rodin also is having trouble due to size.

Quote:
Aberg isn't much younger (only 6 months) but Collberg is almost a full year younger. Blomstrand and Aberg are both considered to be in their 19 year old season. So I think they are comparable.

Not only that, I've been able to watch Aberg for at least 25 games thus far this season. He was gifted a 1st line spot to begin the season, plays point on the 1st PP unit from game 1, hasn't accomplished much with his renowned shot and has no PP goals. He shows flashes of offensive ability but is very inconsistent, can be invisible some games despite huge minutes, Just average defensively, his shots get blocked often and doesn't create much offensively in a consistent manner. I am okay with passing on him at this point but with Nashville, their development is superb so I reserve judgement.

Blomstrand: I can see why some like him or at least our scouts did. He has good size, can skate well and has decent hands. There were only two games with Djurgarden in which he played more than 2 shifts and he was noticeable for good and bad reasons. He took the puck to the net twice and created some good offense with his limited time. Looked good on the boards and helped sustain pressure in the off zone (always good for bottom 6 lines). But there was one game where he took some very stupid penalties. 3 minors in fact, 2 unnecessary. He also had a diving minor, it was an embarassing flop.

In the games I saw him with Almtuna, I thought he played less aggressive than the prior ones. Perhaps it was the role he's been given now. But I'd like to see him be more aggressive both defensively and offensively. Needs to move his feet more, sometimes he is just standing around too much in the def zone. But I'd agree, a checking role is what I see him in for the future.

When I saw Blomstrand I didn't see a Hansen-esque player... Like you said, he's got to develop that aggressiveness to make it. But then, I don't think he really develops that side of his game until he comes over here. Right now, he's expected to be a scorer, so let him focus on that aspect I guess.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
PRNuck

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...he-week/134968
Our second OHL player of the week

Old
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Gaunce has certainly been playing strongly of late - great to see, and good for him on getting Player of the Week honours.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Does this mean the Canucks think he's AHL/ECHL ready and want him in North America or does this mean the Red Bulls didn't think he was good enough and cut him? Sorry, Im really tired after all these late nights watching hockey and the reason he was released is sort of vague.
Its a possibility that he left due to the looming end of the lockout and will likely have a greater chance to crack the AHL line-up.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:00 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
When I saw Blomstrand I didn't see a Hansen-esque player... Like you said, he's got to develop that aggressiveness to make it. But then, I don't think he really develops that side of his game until he comes over here. Right now, he's expected to be a scorer, so let him focus on that aspect I guess.
Yeah, I don't see a Hansen type of player yet.

Your point about the lack of aggression is precisely why I think the Canucks should have tried to broker a deal in the import draft last season. Could have avoided him wasting away on the bench for 2 months as well. I hope they have plans for Blomstrand to come over next season, to the AHL preferably. I think it's imperative for his development.

Plus side would be that we get a Swedish infusion of Blomstrand and Tommernes. One step closer to swedish domination.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Canuckee

@TysonGiuriato
Quote:
#Canucks prospect Alexandre Mallet scored his 3rd goal of the season in the @KalamazooWings 3-2 win tonight. Adam Polasek grabbed one assist

Old
12-31-2012, 10:05 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Not good. I don't think we've signed Grenier, correct? I believe we wanted to see what he was capable of in Europe first before wasting a contract slot on him. Getting cut by his team in Austria isn't a good sign at all. The Canucks will either have to make a choice on whether or not to sign him, or else find him a different place to go in Europe. Personally, I'd prefer option #2.
To be fair, his team has signed Brassard, Clarkson, and Dorsett as lockout guys up front, so it's not unreasonable for him to get pushed down the depth chart pretty significantly. Rob Schremp, Mike Duco, and Mark Cullen are other guys who have come over recently.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
@TysonGiuriato
Looks like Mallet is picking it up, good to see.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Hodgy

Mallet should be dominating the ECHL at his age and at his draft position. It is good to see he is finally getting results.

Old
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 50
Gaunce tip in goal from Subban's slap pass..really like Jordan in this period who alrady have a pp goal

Old
01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Mallet should be dominating the ECHL at his age and at his draft position. It is good to see he is finally getting results.
He's not really get the chance. He is currently playing on the 3rd line for whatever reason...

Old
01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
Gaunce tip in goal from Subban's slap pass..really like Jordan in this period who alrady have a pp goal
What? Who are you referring to? Subban is in Europe for WJC, and Jordan who? What game are you watching?

Old
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callhee View Post
What? Who are you referring to? Subban is in Europe for WJC, and Jordan who? What game are you watching?
jordan subban on the belleville bulls

Old
01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Jordan Subban... the 3rd Subban Brother who also plays for Belleville!

Old
01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

Quote:
Jordan Subban (youngest brother of the three)

Old
01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up, I was confused there for a little while. I remember reading the roster once and I was like what is Subban doing on D?

Old
01-01-2013, 06:33 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Looks like Mallet is picking it up, good to see.
Even more encouraging is that his shot totals are picking up (4 in each of his last 2 games)

Polasek has been on for 3 of his 4 points so far too... good to see they're making things happen out there.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
this may be true in general but generalizing nowadays with prospects is very un moneyball.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure there's an NHLer with several 30 goal seasons who was barely .5ppg in the ECHL at 21 (ie a year older).

Old
01-01-2013, 07:56 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
this may be true in general but generalizing nowadays with prospects is very un moneyball.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure there's an NHLer with several 30 goal seasons who was barely .5ppg in the ECHL at 21 (ie a year older).
There are exceptions to any rule. I think that much is quite obvious.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Tiranis

I think Gillis has to think about re-vamping our affiliate structure. I don't have much of a problem with the Wolves (other than how far they are from the big club), but historically the K-Wings have prioritized their own players over ours. Archibald this season played on their 2nd line, whereas IMO he could've easily been a 1st liner. Now we have Mallet on the 3rd line. Polasek, as far as I can tell, is not getting the kind of ice-time I would've expected. It's pretty clear that they're more concerned with pleasing their permanent roster members than providing a good developing environment.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think Gillis has to think about re-vamping our affiliate structure. I don't have much of a problem with the Wolves (other than how far they are from the big club), but historically the K-Wings have prioritized their own players over ours. Archibald this season played on their 2nd line, whereas IMO he could've easily been a 1st liner. Now we have Mallet on the 3rd line. Polasek, as far as I can tell, is not getting the kind of ice-time I would've expected. It's pretty clear that they're more concerned with pleasing their permanent roster members than providing a good developing environment.
Just one of a million reasons for this F...ing lockout to end, at least all of our players would be moved up to the Wolves. Not ideal but much better than the ECHL

Old
01-01-2013, 09:26 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Just one of a million reasons for this F...ing lockout to end, at least all of our players would be moved up to the Wolves. Not ideal but much better than the ECHL
I don't see many NHLers on the Wolves. Tanev and Kassian....

Old
01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Can you imagine the wolves without Tanev, Kassian, and Schroeder though? They'd lose their best defenseman and 2 of their 3 leading scorers.

I guess all you can hope for is some people step up given more opportunity.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:47 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
What pairing is Polasek on? As for Mallet, hopefully his recent improvement continues and he gets moved up. I do recall him being out there at 6-on-5 when the K-Wings were trying to tie, so there could be hope that his coach recognizes there's something there to work with.

Old
01-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Can you imagine the wolves without Tanev, Kassian, and Schroeder though? They'd lose their best defenseman and 2 of their 3 leading scorers.

I guess all you can hope for is some people step up given more opportunity.
Pretty much every AHL team will lose some of its top players, so it'll all even out.

Closed Thread