HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Sounds like a good night for baby Canucks

I like that Mallet is picking up the points & like that he is still in the ECHL. The confidence he must be gaining will help him when he gets a call up.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Way back in July, the top prospects voting was done on this board. The results for the top ten were:

1. Zack Kassian (65%) -
2. Nicklas Jensen (58%) -
3. Chris Tanev (50%) -
4. Eddie Lack (63%) -
5. Jordan Schroeder (70%) -
6. Brendan Gaunce - (68%) -
7. Kevin Connauton - (38%) -
8. Frankie Corrado - (64%) -
9. Joe Cannata - (49%) -
10. Anton Rodin - (39%) -

I'm curious to see what has changed as we near the halfway point of the season. Thoughts?

I'm certain that Corrado has climbed. Connauton has slipped, but not enough to put him below Cannata or Rodin. Seems to be little movement, which lends credibility to the poll.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:36 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Very good night for centre prospects in fact, with our 2012 1st and 2nd rounders having 4-point nights.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Spectrefire

Teams are pulling prospects in preparation for camp.

Think Corrado will get pulled?

Old
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post

Think Corrado will get pulled?
No chance. He isn't NHL ready, and isn't old enough to play in the AHL. He'll definitely spend this year in juniors and follow a conventional development path where he enters the AHL next season.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
No chance. He isn't NHL ready, and isn't old enough to play in the AHL. He'll definitely spend this year in juniors and follow a conventional development path where he enters the AHL next season.
Corrado is on our recall list you know?

I dont see why they wouldn't.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
No chance? Look at our right side depth. There's a reason he's the only player the Canucks CHL recall list.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:11 PM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Is this real life? Do you have a source? I did a quick scan and couldn't find anything...

EDIT: Of course, did a slightly slower scan and found it immediately.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412880

Old
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Sergei Shirokov

By my calculations:

Kassian has 6 Points in his last 4 Games since the Christmas break (1G, 5A)

And Schroeder has 5 Points in his last 5 Games since the Break (3G, 2A)

Nice to see our top prospects producing.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:16 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Definitely good to hear, about Labate. Because the games I saw earlier, he was a passenger BIG TIME. I always liked the skill set, but seemed weak. Any word who he is playing with?
---------------------------------
Reading the OHL trade rumours thread, it seems Belleville isn't done.

On top of the Graovac acquisition and the open import spot, supposedly Josh Leivo is a target as well. Maybe they'll try and get Leivo and corrado.
Yeah, I wonder if he's gotten stronger 'cos he did seem to fall down quite a bit in Feebs' highlight video. Good to hear about his recent play though.

It would be nice if the Bulls got Corrado too. Would be nice to see him and Gaunce both on the same team.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Probably realized a season might come and is busting their behinds to make the team.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Nice to have a super few days for the prospects

Old
01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
jigsaw99

good start for 2013

Old
01-05-2013, 11:37 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Absolutely, if he continues this way I think he will make it.

Also do you guys think the ECHL is better competition than the CHL?
The depth of the ECHL is a big issue... you have teams sometime skating with less skaters due to AHL call-ups. Not to mention top end talent @ CHL level is often higher than ECHL (since those players would be in the NHL or at least AHL). Of course in a season like this one (lock out) when the AHL is flooded with players, ECHL gets to draw from a bigger pool and therefore should be a better league. When you factor out the lockout, remember ECHL might have no age restriction but always get 3rd tier players that fail to make the NHL and AHL roster so CHL should be the better league. Thats the main reason you generally don't see many ECHLers make the NHL (note i said not many, not none, there are a few that makes it and they are generally great stories, i.e. Burrows but they are great stories because so few actually makes it).

Old
01-06-2013, 12:02 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
The depth of the ECHL is a big issue... you have teams sometime skating with less skaters due to AHL call-ups. Not to mention top end talent @ CHL level is often higher than ECHL (since those players would be in the NHL or at least AHL). Of course in a season like this one (lock out) when the AHL is flooded with players, ECHL gets to draw from a bigger pool and therefore should be a better league. When you factor out the lockout, remember ECHL might have no age restriction but always get 3rd tier players that fail to make the NHL and AHL roster so CHL should be the better league. Thats the main reason you generally don't see many ECHLers make the NHL (note i said not many, not none, there are a few that makes it and they are generally great stories, i.e. Burrows but they are great stories because so few actually makes it).
I wonder about that though. It makes complete sense but when things happen like the Canadian junior team (which would represent the top end talent from the chl) loses to a team like the university of alberta, it makes me question how big the gap is between playing with teenagers and playing with men. The University of Alberta players would only be a couple years older then the junior team but still killed them in their game. What would an echl team do to them?

Old
01-06-2013, 12:03 AM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

gaunce with 2 goals and 2 assists tonight, and mallet with a goal and 3 assists. Really great start to 2013

Old
01-06-2013, 12:40 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPirate View Post
I wonder about that though. It makes complete sense but when things happen like the Canadian junior team (which would represent the top end talent from the chl) loses to a team like the university of alberta, it makes me question how big the gap is between playing with teenagers and playing with men. The University of Alberta players would only be a couple years older then the junior team but still killed them in their game. What would an echl team do to them?
I'm not sure how an ECHL team would do against the best that the CHL has to offer, but with regard to what level Mallet should be playing at right now, I'd still say the E is better competition overall than the Q.

Physically I don't think he has anything left to prove in that league as he can just dominate. And from what I've seen of him in the AHL he was still able to keep up with the play and didn't look out of sorts like the way it's been said of Friesen.

Skill-wise the CHL might be better at the top end but that really only means a couple players max for most junior teams. Whereas at the E you still have some of those elite junior talents who didn't make the AHL, but add that to playing against bigger, stronger and faster guys and I think it's a better challenge for him IMO.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:49 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
Evansville 2 Kalamazoo 5 (in the 2nd)

Mallet continues the hot hand with a goal (4th), and 2 assists tonight playing on a line with Eric Kattelus and Aaron Clarke.

4 goals and 2 assists in his last 6 ECHL games (after 1 assist in his first 7 games).

S_C
Thanks for keeping us posted. He also ended up with another assist, so now it's 7 points in his last 6. Do you know if that's the 1st or 2nd line he was moved up to btw? At least it looks like Bootland recognizes that he's got some potential and isn't shy about giving him a bigger opportunity. As I've said before I was hoping he'd get more ice time by earning it and so far it looks like he's doing that.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Tiranis

I don't know how anyone can actually argue that the CHL is more difficult or better than the ECHL. There are literally hundreds of players that leave the CHL as top scorers and never manage to put anywhere close to those numbers in the ECHL.

On our team, Steven Anthony comes to mind. Went from 60 in 61 to 20 in 34 and 8 in 29.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:52 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't know how anyone can actually argue that the CHL is more difficult or better than the ECHL. There are literally hundreds of players that leave the CHL as top scorers and never manage to put anywhere close to those numbers in the ECHL.

On our team, Steven Anthony comes to mind. Went from 60 in 61 to 20 in 34 and 8 in 29.
Born out by maths, 60 chl teams + US juniors/college + non-chl Canadians. All being churning out players that have to go somewhere.
The chl has a small amount of higher end talent, but overall it's boys that aren't NHL quality.

Last edited by me2: 01-06-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 04:42 AM
timw33

So looks like we will see Tanev, Kassian, Shroeder and Corrado at training camp this week!

Old
01-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
So looks like we will see Tanev, Kassian, Shroeder and Corrado at training camp this week!
damn now i can't remember, jensen was FOR SURE finishing the season over there correct?

Old
01-06-2013, 05:16 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
damn now i can't remember, jensen was FOR SURE finishing the season over there correct?
Yes, but the SEL season ends a month or so earlier than the NHL, and I don't think AIK will make the playoffs or last long. EDIT: They've played 35 out of about 55 games so far this year.

We will see Jensen this year.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:26 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Yes, but the SEL season ends a month or so earlier than the NHL, and I don't think AIK will make the playoffs or last long. EDIT: They've played 35 out of about 55 games so far this year.

We will see Jensen this year.
Yup, their team is currently in 10th and in this position they neither have to play in the playoffs or relegation rounds. They are pretty secure in that position, next worst team is 7 points behind.

Meaning Jensen's last game in Sweden will be March 5th. We should see him shortly after that.

But of course, If the Canucks really wanted Jensen, i'm sure they can find a way out sooner.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:28 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Yup, their team is currently in 10th and in this position they neither have to play in the playoffs or relegation rounds. They are pretty secure in that position, next worst team is 7 points behind.

Meaning Jensen's last game in Sweden will be March 5th. We should see him shortly after that.

But of course, If the Canucks really wanted Jensen, i'm sure they can find a way out sooner.
Yeah, that'll be an interesting scenario. It'll be good to be able to at worst send him to the AHL after March 5th though.

Closed Thread