HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada V4.0 (Final Roster Named)

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2012, 04:08 PM
umwoz

vCash: 500
Kid played his heart out but I think Shinkaruk gets cut. Awesome games by him, but he is still a little weak along the wall, whereas Drouin looked really poised in the corners and along the wall. Should be prominent next year. Really tough to leave Lipon off as well after what he did today.

Scheifele-RNH-Huberdeau
Mackinnon-Strome-Rattie
Hudon-Jenner-Ritchie
McNeill-Danault-Camara
Drouin

Hamilton-Rielly
Reinhart-Harrington
Ouellet-Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Patterson
Brossoit

Old
Snippit

I only saw the last 10 minutes of the game. My thoughts:

-Catenacci turned it up a notch, but he'll still get cut.

-Paterson will be the back-up

-Murphy had a good shot, but made some awful decisions in the defensive end

-Dumba is done. End of story. Threw the puck in front of his own net for some reason..

-Rattie looked good

Can someone fill me in on everything else?

Old
hersky77

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Honestly your bias for Murphy was made clear a while ago. Most of us here, myself in particular don't have any allegiance to the guys battling for spots right now. Ive seen quit a bit of Murphy the last couple of years.

He fits the mould of most other 7th dmen that Canada has taken to this tourney. They've always been big on taking guys who have defensive deficiencies (which let me assure you, compared to the 4 locks and with the way Reinhart and Corrado are playing atm, he has the most trouble in his own end compared to the other 6) who you don't want taking a regular defensive shift, but can throw out there when you're looking to give the offense a boost, get a game tying goal, up a couple and pressing for the clincher, and using for lots of PP time.

Murphy fits the bill to a T. Ellis, Subban, Alzner. It's not a slight against him, don't feel the need to defend him to no end because you're a fan.

EDIT: And you're saying Corrado hasn't shown more than Murphy, except from what I've seen from these games and red/white he has been steady and also shown up on the scoresheet.

Out of the three guys you mentioned murphy is alot like ellis. Subban and Alzner both played huge minutes during their world junior games, where as ellis was the main pp qb and thats it. If anything he is going to do what Beaulieu was supposed to do last year and hopefully better if he does make it

Old
12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

In the first thread I made this comment & then was called out for doing so.

Quote:
Corrado is a sleeper imo, not seeing too many people putting him on their lists but his play will surprise.
By the way a lot of the mock up lists are playing out I'm guessing the bold did happen.

I'm guessing you're glad you didn't bet against it now aren't you dnicks17

Old
12-13-2012, 04:10 PM
BruinsBtn

3 defensemen, 4 forward and a goalie to cut?

Binnington (just a random guess, wasn't paying attention to goalies)

Catenacci (I don't see where he fits)
Wilson (too raw, too reckless)
Shinkaruk (good player, tough to cut)
Lipon (came down to him or Drouin)

Defense is tough. I'd cut Dumba for sure and Murphy deserves to be cut based on this camp but he is an amazing prospect. I would definitely keep Reinhart and probably Corrado but you could make a case for Sproul.

Old
Freaky Styley

With the final game of camp complete, here is who I want on the roster:

Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Schiefele

Ritchie - Strome - MacKinnon

Hudon - Jenner - Rattie

Wilson - Danault - McNeill

Drouin

I think the top 11 forwards are a safe bet, but Wilson and Drouin could be swapped for guys like Camara and Lipon (which will likely happen knowing Team Canada), respectively. I think Wilson played a lot better today and brings a physical game that is only second to Ritchie at the camp. Drouin is a guy that could really step up in big moments in this tournament if given the chance.

Reilly - Hamilton

Ouellet - Harrington

Reinhart - Dumba

Corrado

It's likely that Corrado will take Dumba's spot and Murphy will make the team as the 7th defensman, but I think Dumba played better than Murphy today. They are both highly touted guys that have so far disappointed, and if one should make it Dumba has my vote. However, Murphy's status with Spott will get him on the team, and Corrado has played well enough to earn a spot on the team.

Subban

Paterson

Binnington

Without allowing a goal in camp and looking solid while doing it, I think Jake Paterson has earned the backup role. What is interesting is who will be the 3rd string, and I think the safe pick would be Binnington.

Old
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
He have no chance at making this team IMO.
Yeah, sorry I had a brainfart I changed it I was writing fast.

Old
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
OK if these guys are penciled in on forward, it only leaves 5 more spots:

Schiefle-RNH-Huberdeau
Hudon-Strome-Ritchie
Jenner-Danault

From watching this camp, for me the remaining players deserve to be:

McKinnon, Drouin, Camara, Shinkaruk, Catanacci

I think you pick one of Camara or Wilson and Camara has a higher hockey IQ

Also, for D, Murphy should not be on this team

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouelette-Harrington
Reinhart-Corrado
Sproul
That 2nd line does not bring enough offense. Ty Rattie is on the team, no doubt about it.

Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Mark Scheifele
Nathan Mackinnon - Ryan Strome - Ty Rattie
Phillipe Hudon - Boone Jenner - Brett Ritchie
Mark McNeill - Phillipe Danault - Tom Wilson
Hunter Shinkaruk/Jonathan Drouin

Rielly-Hamilton
Ouelett-Harrington
Reinhart-Murphy
Corrado

Malcolm Subban
Laurent Brossoit
Jake Patterson

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 12-13-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old
Taco Fingerhat

Any idea when the next round of cuts will be?

Old
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I only saw the last 10 minutes of the game. My thoughts:

-Catenacci turned it up a notch, but he'll still get cut.

-Paterson will be the back-up

-Murphy had a good shot, but made some awful decisions in the defensive end

-Dumba is done. End of story. Threw the puck in front of his own net for some reason..

-Rattie looked good

Can someone fill me in on everything else?
Camara-McNeill-Lipon was tremendous and all three helped themselves, Camara and Lipon especially.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:11 PM
EveryDay

Cut: Brossoit-Wother-Sproul-Dumba-Catenacci-Shinkaruk-Wilson-Lipon

Old
12-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Snippit

Scheifele-RNH-Rattie - Top scoring line
Huberdeau-Mackinnon-Drouin - Chemistry, elite skill
Ritchie-Strome-Jenner - Niagara chemistry, Jenner+Ritchie bring physicality
Hudon-Danault-McNeill - Checking line
Shinkaruk

Rielly-Hamilton - Top D Pair
Harrington-Ouellet - Shut down
Reinhart - Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Paterson

These were my predictions before the third game. Since I missed most of it, would you switch any guys around?

Old
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I'm still going my same roster from a bit earlier:
Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
MacKinnon - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Rattie
Camara - Danault - McNeill
Drouin

Rielly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Paterson
Broissoit

Shinkaruk is my toughest cut but no room in the top nine. I'd consider him over Hudon but everything indicates Hockey Canada is in love with Hudon. Lipon made a nice case for a fourth line spot too but I like Camara and McNeill better.
This is exactly the way I see it.

Maybe Sproul gets in ahead of Murphy, maybe Lipon ahead of Drouin.

Old
puckfan13

Shinkaruk needs to make this team, he plays his butt off and he is so skilled and works hard. He reminds me of Eberle. I think him and Drouin can both make this team.

Old
roach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
With the final game of camp complete, here is who I want on the roster:

Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Schiefele

Ritchie - Strome - MacKinnon

Hudon - Jenner - Rattie

Wilson - Danault - McNeill

Drouin

I think the top 11 forwards are a safe bet, but Wilson and Drouin could be swapped for guys like Camara and Lipon (which will likely happen knowing Team Canada), respectively. I think Wilson played a lot better today and brings a physical game that is only second to Ritchie at the camp. Drouin is a guy that could really step up in big moments in this tournament if given the chance.

Reilly - Hamilton

Ouellet - Harrington

Reinhart - Dumba

Corrado

It's likely that Corrado will take Dumba's spot and Murphy will make the team as the 7th defensman, but I think Dumba played better than Murphy today. They are both highly touted guys that have so far disappointed, and if one should make it Dumba has my vote. However, Murphy's status with Spott will get him on the team, and Corrado has played well enough to earn a spot on the team.

Subban

Paterson

Binnington

Without allowing a goal in camp and looking solid while doing it, I think Jake Paterson has earned the backup role. What is interesting is who will be the 3rd string, and I think the safe pick would be Binnington.
OK. That's it. Are people just coming in here, making up stories about a game they didn't watch, and relaying that to the rest of us?

Did you watch the game today, because if you did.... I don't even.

Old
bruinsfan46

I don't know you say yes to Wilson and no to Camara and Lipon at this point. Camara especially brings that physical element just as much and they just played much better.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:13 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Any idea when the next round of cuts will be?
Within the next 2 hours or so.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Kid played his heart out but I think Shinkaruk gets cut. Awesome games by him, but he is still a little weak along the wall, whereas Drouin looked really poised in the corners and along the wall. Should be prominent next year. Really tough to leave Lipon off as well after what he did today.

Scheifele-RNH-Huberdeau
Mackinnon-Strome-Rattie
Hudon-Jenner-Ritchie
McNeill-Danault-Camara
Drouin

Hamilton-Rielly
Reinhart-Harrington
Ouellet-Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Patterson
Brossoit
Switch Binnington with Brossoit, Ouellet with Reinhart and Rattie with Ritchie and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:15 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Drouin had a great first period, last two he seems to be playing too fancy. Got a pass from the defensemen and instead of taking it along the boards he tried to drive to the slot and he was stripped of the puck promptly.

He might get cut because of that, especially with how well Shinkaruk and Camara have played.

MacKinnon hasn't done most offensively, but he's been solid physically/defensively.
Thanks for the info

Old
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Honestly your bias for Murphy was made clear a while ago. Most of us here, myself in particular don't have any allegiance to the guys battling for spots right now. Ive seen quit a bit of Murphy the last couple of years.

He fits the mould of most other 7th dmen that Canada has taken to this tourney. They've always been big on taking guys who have defensive deficiencies (which let me assure you, compared to the 4 locks and with the way Reinhart and Corrado are playing atm, he has the most trouble in his own end compared to the other 6) who you don't want taking a regular defensive shift, but can throw out there when you're looking to give the offense a boost, get a game tying goal, up a couple and pressing for the clincher, and using for lots of PP time.

Murphy fits the bill to a T. Ellis, Subban, Alzner. It's not a slight against him, don't feel the need to defend him to no end because you're a fan.

EDIT: And you're saying Corrado hasn't shown more than Murphy, except from what I've seen from these games and red/white he has been steady and also shown up on the scoresheet.
You're absolutely wrong if you think people around here don't have allegiance. People here are stating things like they're facts that Hockey Canada has repeated. I'll give an example. "Hockey Canada won't give a guy like Murphy a defensive shift". First of all, what the coach this year has said is in complete opposition to that. Every time they've interviewed Spott about Murphy, he's said he trusts him.

Ellis only played that 7th defensemen role in his 17 year old season. He had regular shifts on regular pairings in his 18 and 19 year old years. Ellis is not to blame for only winning silver in those years. Alzner definitely wasn't a 7th defensemen either.

Corrado needs to have an amazing performance to put him above, not just scoring 2 goals. This game isn't about 3 games to prove, besides, this last game, Murphy was just as good defensively and generated way more offensive chances. Why not base it off this game if we're going to work on a small scale.

A few years ago, a few people decided to pump up how "horrible Murphy was defensively" and it's stuck ever since, that even when he's not people see the littlest mistake as evidence. A great example is in the first game, Pelech and Murphy on the ice, 2 guys around Murphy, Pelech fired it at Murphy, he got it on his stick, then was promptly taken away by the two guys right beside him. That would have happened to Harrington, Ouellet, who ever, but people here jumped on Murphy for his "horrible turnover". Corrado had a turnover similar to that this game, anothe player passed it to him in his own zone while there was someone around him, he turned it over, not a single person posted it. I think you can tell why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
WJC: Worth the Gamble?
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/

"It's risk reward. And Ryan knows that," Steve Spott.

"I'm trying to focus on the reward more than the risk right now..." Ryan Murphy.

Read between the lines.
The only way you can get what you want from that is to scribble your end opinion inbetween the lines than read it.

Old
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
Out of the three guys you mentioned murphy is alot like ellis. Subban and Alzner both played huge minutes during their world junior games, where as ellis was the main pp qb and thats it. If anything he is going to do what Beaulieu was supposed to do last year and hopefully better if he does make it
I'm not sure if you're remembering correctly.

Subban and Alzner both played multiple years. The first year's they each played they only played sparingly and were used mostly in offensive situations. In fact Subban barely saw the ice, where as Alzner got leaned on a little bit more.

Both were the leaders on the back end in their second years on the WJ team.

Old
Satan
& try another year

"Was that Ritchie or Patrik Stefan?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Ritchie was the one who missed
Funniest post in the thread.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:17 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
OK. That's it. Are people just coming in here, making up stories about a game they didn't watch, and relaying that to the rest of us?

Did you watch the game today, because if you did.... I don't even.
what exactly is wrong with what he said?

Old
12-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Snippit

Defense looks mostly clear to me.

Hamilton-Rielly
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart-Corrado

7th D-Man Spot: Dumba vs Murphy vs Sproul vs Wotherspoon

Dumba's play just wasn't good enough. I wouldn't take Wotherspoon. Sproul was good as well, better than Murphy, but Murphy will make it.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Camarra- Nuge - Scheifele
Huberdeau - Strome(A) - Ritchie
Danault- Jenner(A)- Wilson/Mcneil
Drouin - Mackinnon - Rattie
Wilson/Mcneil

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington(C) - Ouelett
Reinhart - Corrado
Murphy or Sproul ( Should be Sproul, will be Murphy)

Subban
Patterson
Brossoit

Leaving Catennacci, Lipon*, Shinkaruk*, Dumba, Wotherspoon, likely Sproul* and Binnington* as the final cuts. Guys with the stars are the ones who I wouldn't be disappointed or surprised to see make it.

Closed Thread