HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Canadian Junior Team - Strome/Reinhart

Old
12-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

vCash: 500
Canadian Junior Team - Strome/Reinhart

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=411610
It's nice to remember/know that when hockey returns we'll be getting that much closer to respectability. People will debate Reinhart vs. Dumba, but the Jr. Team won't any longer.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:30 AM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

I can't wait for this. This will be the first meaningful hockey of the season as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately since Russo wasn't invited to team USA, I might have to root for Canada and our boys this year.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Steve55

It's awesome that both Strome and Reinhart made the 2013 Canada WJC team.

Even though many WJC players become stars, there is little reported on those who don't become regulars in the NHL 5 years later.

Also there have been cases where a WJC players never play in the NHL, such as Angelo Esposito.

While making a WJC squad is a great accomplishment, that may be the last link to fame for a hockey player.

Often those who are cut from WJC become better NHL players than those who make it.

Last edited by Steve55: 12-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:25 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
It's awesome that both Strome and Reinhart made the 2013 Canada WJC team.

Even though many WJC players become stars, there is little reported on those who don't become regulars in the NHL 5 years later.

Also there have been cases where a WJC players never play in the NHL, such as Angelo Esposito.

While making a WJC squad is a great accomplishment, that may be the last link to fame for a hockey player.

Often those who are cut from WJC become better NHL players than those who make it.
What are you saying? That sometimes players can have great tournaments (like Esposito and Dimomenico - playing with Tavares) and not make the NHL, like Parenteau/Moulson? Or Byron Ritchie/Joel Vermin - also on career highs?

I see a pattern

Strome and Reinhart will be looked to be leaders on this team, even though there's some incredible talent on this CAN roster. I hope they can elevate their game and have a great two weeks, it'll be fun to watch hockey again - my favourite tournament.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
StrongIslanders90

I hope Strome has a strong showing and that The Big Griff plays a big shutdown role on defense..

Good luck to our boys.

Pokka as well

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:31 PM
CREW99AW

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...014/story.html
MacKinnon: ‘Efficient’ Reinhart one cool customer who impresses coaches
Oil Kings stay-at-home defenceman cracks Canada’s lineup with his unflappable demeanour

By John MacKinnon, Edmonton Journal December 14, 2012
CALGARY –The Hockey Canada brain trust uses words like “efficient” and “economical” about Griffin Reinhart, which is interesting, considering the Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman checks in at six-feet-four, 205 pounds.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:55 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
MacKinnon: ‘Efficient’ Reinhart one cool customer who impresses coaches
Oil Kings stay-at-home defenceman cracks Canada’s lineup with his unflappable demeanour

By John MacKinnon, Edmonton Journal December 14, 2012
CALGARY –The Hockey Canada brain trust uses words like “efficient” and “economical” about Griffin Reinhart, which is interesting, considering the Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman checks in at six-feet-four, 205 pounds.
Good article, however, I would think most teams picking 4th overall are not looking for "efficient and economical" players. These type of players can probably be found in later rounds.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Good article, however, I would think most teams picking 4th overall are not looking for "efficient and economical" players. These type of players can probably be found in later rounds.
Some of Reinhart's scouting reports remind me of Kenny Jonsson( smart, efficient, steady). KJ was one of my all-time favorite Islanders. The guy did nothing except play at a high, steady level for yrs.

I'll take a Jonssonlike career from Reinhart.

from the same article:
It’s expected Reinhart will slot in as the club’s fifth defenceman, at least to start off with, but he’ll also log lots of minutes killing penalties for Canada, something he does superbly for the Oil Kings, who lead the WHL in that area.

“He’s a big body, he’s a shutdown guy,” said Kevin Prendergast, Hockey Canada’s head scout. “He’s not flashy or anything like that. He’s efficient, he gets the job done.”

Along with highlight-reel players like Murphy and Rielly, you need a mix on a championship team, obviously. Not that Reinhart is a one-dimensional player. Far from it. He racked up 36 points for the Oil Kings in the 2011-12 season, although he’s below that pace this season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:27 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I dont mind the Reinhart pick at #4

Hes a safe pick who at best become a true #1 defensman with a bomb from the point and at worst with his smarts, size, and stick skills be a #3,4,5 dman that can shutdown fowards.

Other guys like Rielly and Dumba are home run picks....If they reach thier potential they will be great but if they dont then Rielly becomes Marc-Aundre Bergereon with a bit better defense and Dumba becomes a tough player but a bottom pairing/ depth guy.

Not saying that these 2 will bust but Reinhart will be more likley to have a long NHL playing Career imo

Last edited by StrongIslanders90: 12-15-2012 at 06:35 PM.
StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:41 PM
seafoam
#Sharks2014

vCash: 2049
Quote:
That's why teams like Anaheim and Minnesota are drafting efficient, smart, safe defenseman like Hampus Lindholm and Jonas Brodin in the top ten right?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:51 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I dont mind the Reinhart pick at #4

Hes a safe pick who at best become a true #1 defensman with a bomb from the point and at worst with his smarts, size, and stick skills be a #3,4,5 dman that can shutdown fowards.

Other guys like Rielly and Dumba are home run picks....If they reach thier potential they will be great but if they dont then Rielly becomes Marc-Aundre Bergereon with a bit better defense and Dumba becomes a tough player but a bottom pairing/ depth guy.

Not saying that these 2 will bust but Reinhart will be more likley to have a long NHL playing Career imo
The key factor with Reinhart is that he has excellent hockey intelligence. His obvious physical traits stand out, but his IQ is what will prevent him from busting in the NHL. He's a bigger and probably more physical version of KJ IMO, I'd be ecstatic if he becomes that. While he is a #4 overall pick, it was in a draft often described as weak by the experts.

He just isn't sexy and so he'll often be overlooked a bit. I don't mind, I'll take Big Griff's substance over style on the blue line for a long time.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
That's why teams like Anaheim and Minnesota are drafting efficient, smart, safe defenseman like Hampus Lindholm and Jonas Brodin in the top ten right?
Or NJ with Larsson, for that matter.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote