HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shin Guard Sizing

Old
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
kman12

vCash: 500
Shin Guard Sizing

Hi all,

I will be starting the hna adult beginner training shortly and had to pick up all new ice hockey gear. I went with Bauer One55 gear all around but I have a sizing question with respect to the shin guards.

I am approx 5'9" 160lbs... I went with medium for pretty much everything and that fits me well. The only piece that I am unsure of is the shin guards... I am not exactly sure how they are to fit?? Intially the guy at the store told me to go for a 15", someone else told me a 14"....

I plan on wear the the shin guards over the tongue of my skates, where should the bottom of the shin guard be in reference to to the skate??

Based on 5'9" 160lbs, any reccomendations on sizing? 14" or 15"? any comments are appreciated, cant wait to hit the ice!

kman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Nbr-17

I am 5'10" and wear 15" shin pads over the tongues.
My father in law who is 5'9" wore 14" shin pads under the tongue.
Dunno if that helps.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 10:40 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Depends what the measurement is between your knee cap and ankle

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

The best thing to do and nobody does it is to bring your skates into the store with you so you can actually see how the shinguards fit.

.... really because some people have the shinguard over the tongue, some hang the tongue out and have the shinguard inside the tongue sort of.

I really do not know why people do not try things on in the store with at least SOME of their equipment associated with it that they already own to test for fit and compatibility.

I do it with whatever is reasonable to bring and do it with. How many times have people bought a replacement blade for a shaft and after buying find out that manufacturer makes their hosel longer by one inch than what they had so now they have to either cut their chaft or add a plug in the end. Why not bring your stick into the store with you?

Anyhew .... just saying.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:12 AM
hubby1746

i think it depends on the make cuz some 14" were too big for me and some fit perfect. But we r basically exactly the same size and i wear these in a 14" and they fit perfect. They r also extremely comfortable

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hock...v06-le-sr.html

i think u want the bottom of the shin pad to be roughly an inch or 2 above ur ankle

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:47 AM
SouthpawTRK

Definitely take Hockeyfan68's advice about bringing in your skates when shopping for shin pads. It will help you insure a better fit on the shin pads and you won't have to make a second trip to the store to return shins that are too big or too small.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:16 AM
kman12

Thanks for the replies... so i purchased both the 14 and 15 sizes and will keep the set that fits.... when the knee is centered correctly, where exactly should the bottom of the shin pad be?

With the the shin pads covering the tongue of the skates, they seem to fit as follows:

15 - bottom of the shin hits right on the top eylet of the skate/top of the skate boot, touches the top lace
14 - about an inch above this point, as would be expected with the size difference.. about an inch from the top of the skate boot

which size sounds like a proper fit ? thanks!

Last edited by kman12: 11-15-2009 at 01:22 AM.
kman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:08 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Whatever you like better.

If you're wearing them over the tongue, you can wear them as long as you damn well please. Longer will give you more protection, shorter will give you better forward flex. If you're wearing them under it matters much more.

14 would give you the option to wear them inside your tongue, But the 15 would offer more protection and wouldn't sacrifice much mobility if you wore them outside. I would suggest putting one on each leg, doing them fully up- socks, skates, pants and tape- and moving around in them. Also try socks in or out (with the shin moving correspondingly) and seeing what you like in that regard. If you don't know, try it out. Don't just say 'I'm wearing them out' without any experience either way.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd ask my question here.

I am thinking about trying the shin guards on the inside of the tongues for the first time to see what the extra forward flex would give my skating ability and partially for aesthetic purposes. I tried my skates on and marked a line where the bottom of the shin guard would go if I wore them on the inside of the tongue. From the middle of my knee cap to this line is approximately 15.5".

My assumption is I will have to go 15" and sacrifice the half inch or so tongue by my tongue and hope I don't take a puck there. I have X50s which do have a padded tongue that would overlap the bottom of the shinguard so maybe that would not be an issue at all.

Any advice on which size to go for whether 15" or 16"?

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
AIREAYE

Try about two finger widths above the inside ankle bone. That's the rule of thumb we always use. A narrower lower half would help it stay inside the tongue (think Vapor/Stealth rather than Reebok)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Try about two finger widths above the inside ankle bone. That's the rule of thumb we always use. A narrower lower half would help it stay inside the tongue (think Vapor/Stealth rather than Reebok)
Yeah the measurement I made was to that spot. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a wider fit in Reebok but go with the shorter 15". The more I put my skates on and see where the tongue folds, I am thinking the gap will be less and less of a problem.

Thanks for the input, though.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:22 AM
AIREAYE

If you have an option, see if you can go for the one where the bottom of the shell is padded/covered. It helps reduce fraying of the skate tongue.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:48 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Just don't get Vapor 3.0, those shin guards are awful. I have a pair and i'm still trying to get rid of it.

The side padding is too flimsy and sticks out in the back. I have to tape it to get it wrap around. They aren't too small either, I just don't know what the problem is.

My size could probably fit a 10 year old well yet i'm 18. It's a Medium too.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote