HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating, Shooting, Playing games update to me.

Old
12-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Sabre123316

vCash: 500
Skating, Shooting, Playing games update to me.

SO.....

Been awhile since I posted but, here goes.

I started the NCHL beginner program as a complete and utter noob I skated for my first time with my team a few months ago. In the past 2 1/2 months my skating has improved dramatically, more stable, (when the skates aren't dull) I can't stop, crossover, or skate backwards, but I will be investing a lot of time at some out door rinks this winter.

Also decided to go to the local sports store where they had a couple shooting lanes with demo sticks and pucks and a few nets. I spent the better part of an hour firing shots at the net with various sticks to find the "right" one. I did looked at the model Bauer Nexus 1000. $280 dollar stick. I did not buy it as I can not see the value in using a 300 dollar twig when I may touch the puck twice in a game. But It felt better and I could really fire the puck with it.

I want everyones advice on skating though, I am a bigger guy, and that being said I find stoping unbelievably hard. the sideways stop seems almost freaking like magic. Its pretty bad because I can skate forward and pick up speed fast, but stoping and turning back checking seems impossible, or we get the situation last week where I went into there zone opposing player came around the corner and had his head down I could not stop and head on collision full force. My stick ended up at my blue line it was such a hard hit. I usually use the boards to slow me down I feel like a hazard and that I cannot play in position.

So thoughts on buying a 280 dollar composite stick for such a crappy player?

And how am I gonna learn to stop when I have issues doing so?

When I go to stop by turning sides I usually do a sharp turn lose my balance and fall. last game I smashed the back of helmet on the ice. For a no contact league I come home with quite a few bruises.

Sabre123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:54 AM
JoeCool16

First the stick. God no, don't spend that much on a stick because, as you said, you're shooting a very small percentage of the time when you're GOOD, and much less when you're not. A wooden, 12 dollar stick would be fine at this level.

Secondly, if you can't stop, you can't play. Not really, at least. Devote yourself to it! Go to a public or adult skate and do nothing but stopping. Start small, learning how to snowplow on one foot. Skating-wise, it doesn't sound like you're on the level yet where you can be effective at any real level. If you're having fun, all the power to you... but I think that you'll have a lot better time with stopping, crossovers and backwards skating under your belt.

I recommend working on your edges, too. That's super important to get under control at the beginning.

Good luck, I hope a lot more people chime in with advice for you!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Don't buy such an expensive stick.

Make a homemade powerslide board to help you getting used to stopped

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Trl3789

I had a really hard time stopping at all with my right foot for quite some time. I decided to break it down in steps, and its all I did when I went t public skate for a month. I started with snow plowing with my right foot, I kept doing that until I could stop realtively (moving pretty well) well with one foot. Then I practiced T stops, which were the hardest part. Once I could do that consistently though, two foot stops came pretty easily.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Welcome!

First advice: don't buy the expensive stick. Use that money for skating lessons, or better skates, or better protective gear.

I've got nothing against buying nice sticks, but there's better places for you to spend that money now! Trust me!

Read my stick buying guide and stop back and we can figure out a good stick for you, but for beginners I really like buying a composite shaft and a wood blade. First, it's going to be half the price (maybe less) than a high end stick. Second, it's a lot easier to learn how to feel the puck and learn to catch passes. Third, you can try out different blades and try different curves, lie angles, loft, etc.

Now, on to your stopping problem, I was there as a kid and when I picked up again as an adult. You have to practice. If you have outdoor ice, put on your helmet, some knee and elbow pads, and even your hockey pants if need be. Or else an open skate.

You have the right idea, stopping is a quick turn and digging in to the ice with your edges. Stand facing the boards and scrape the ice with your skate blade. Practice "shaving" the ice. Get that motion down, then start skating slowly and turn to shave the ice.

Plus if you have that money burning a hole in your pocket, see about a private skating lesson or two! I've done some group clinics and learned a LOT about skating, stopping, edge control, turning, everything. Well worth the money.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:00 PM
cowboy82nd

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
Don't buy such an expensive stick.

Make a homemade powerslide board to help you getting used to stopped

Any ideas on how to do this?

cowboy82nd is offline   Reply With Quote