HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can We Please Make a Plan?

Old
12-13-2012, 10:55 PM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Or, if you're lacking in perspective about life beyond sports, you might not understand.

One or the other.
I revert to my previous statement. Hockey means a lot to Canadians.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:02 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
I revert to my previous statement. Hockey means a lot to Canadians.
Nobody doubts that, but it doesn't make this labor conflict any more important or onerous than, say, an airline strike.

The good news is that if you want to fly across the country to visit your ailing wife on the day of a pilots' strike, you're screwed... but if you want to watch hockey during the NHL lockout, there's a big ol' Internet out there just brimming with options. So we're good to go. Just sit tight, fire up a stream and wait it out.

Hey look, I made a plan!

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:04 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Last I read, season ticket holders aren't taking many refunds yet. Theres your problem

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:12 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Nobody doubts that, but it doesn't make this labor conflict any more important or onerous than, say, an airline strike.

The good news is that if you want to fly across the country to visit your ailing wife on the day of a pilots' strike, you're screwed... but if you want to watch hockey during the NHL lockout, there's a big ol' Internet out there just brimming with options. So we're good to go. Just sit tight, fire up a stream and wait it out.

Hey look, I made a plan!
Of course I won't refute your claim that at the end of the day it's entertainment. It just happens to be entertainment showcasing a product that is part of the cultural fabric of Canada.

To the previous point about wanton disregard for the customer, I stand by my claim that this dispute is more outrageous than any one I can recall. The fact is that the players make gobs of money and the owners who are losing money aren't losing it because of the union's greed. Given these facts, I say that the strategies employed by both sides show a disregard for the customer that is difficult to comprehend.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

just watch the games on online streams, buy jerseys from ebay or second hand, etc

escrow my ass

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Astoria
#ILEquestrian

I've thought about tossing some cold, hard cash on the ice. And by cold, hard cash, I mean cold, hard Monopoly money cash...

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:19 AM
ES

I think that it would gain exposure if everyone was on their seats at the beginning of the game, then walking out at the first commercial break or so. And then stay out for the remainder of the 1st period.

Here some fans have done that kind of protests when they are unhappy with their team (not really about the players, but the organization)

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:45 AM
The Green Unit

I always paid to watch hockey because I thought it was important to be loyal to the game you love. I still will watch hockey everyday once it comes back. But the league will not get one cent out of me for a full month at minimum. There's plenty of ways to watch something without paying on the internet.

I don't care whether my decision is meaningless, now it's an eye for an eye.

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:59 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Yeah, I'm peeved about the lockout too but not to the point where I'll be boycotting the game when it comes back.

12-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Islanders1932

There is a plan....just check a few threads lower:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1305751

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Lshap

What fans WON'T do:

1) Stop watching hockey (like saying you miss sex so much you REFUSE to have anymore of it!)
2) Stop going to games (tickets are already bought, plus see above for why they'll buy more)

Bottom line: Turning our backs on the sport won't happen. It's a classic case of cutting off our noses to spite our face-offs.

What we CAN do:

Don't buy any snacks or drinks at the arena. Hide chips and chocolate bars in your sweater or coat, place a beer bottle in your pants leg. Do not spend a penny on food or drink. This doesn't affect hockey-viewing, but this simple behavioural tweak will cost ownership millions.

Bottom line: Keep eating crap -- just not their crap.

The Catchy Tagline:

"We Got No Concessions, so We Aren't Buying any Concessions!"

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
The members of this forum seem pretty unanimous in their disgruntlement towards both the league and the union. I can't recall an instance of a business treating its customer base with such wanton disregard. However, the unfortunate reality is that the fans are likely incapable of mounting any orchestrated, joint effort to seriously affect the league's bottom line.

It is possible to orchestrate a symbolic stand...all that's really missing is an idea. I propose that we formulate a simple idea for a symbolic gesture that could gain traction with very little effort. A first-period-of-the-first-game-"walkout" is something I've seen proposed. I'd love to see something along that vein...something that could conjure terrible news headlines for the NHL and call into question its treatment of its fans.

I contend that this board could produce an idea that would become "the symbol" for which this lockout will be remembered. I think we just need to stir around some ideas in this forum until a consensus is reach on the best idea. As is clear by the 3891724876145872364573 posts in the lockout thread, it's not as though our hockey-related discourse elsewhere is achieving anything more productive.
This is so short sided...

These types of "hold-outs" lockouts, what ever you want to call them happen, ALL THE TIME, in the entertainment business.

Just look at movies, the Star actors hold out for more money. Sometimes the movie never happens at all. The NHL is an entertainment business and they are doing what is good for business.

Hanklite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Risiko

This has 55,000 views so far and is picking up steam. Take the Pledge.

http://m.thestar.com/sports/hockey/a...hen-it-returns

Although I think this is too ambitious, it'd send a major message if for the first night the NHL is back, all the arena's are empty. I think we could orchestrate this. If we can get Rory Fitzpatrick into the All-Star game, we can do this.

Risiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I'm down for anything as long as there are pitchforks and torches involved.

Maybe we can overturn and set fire to some police cruisers. Or loot local businesses.

You must be from Montreal or Vancouver.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
hlaverty06

Throw Monopoly money at them

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Jigger77

OP - I agree entirely with everything you've said in this thread and there is nothing I would like to see more than for something like this to come to fruition.

Personally, I've removed all of my NHL related stuff from my home, posters, signed tickets by players, bobble-heads, hats, jerseys, you name it. I have also not bought NHL 13, something I usually buy every year. There is no way I'm going back to a game until Gary Bettman is long gone and they make the NHL about hockey again and not making lawyers and businessmen rich.

They need to completely overhaul the league. These owners and their lawyers are in it for the wrong reasons. The NHL needs to get back to being about hockey and the love of the sport. The people who are running things now are completely incapable of this. Until they are removed and replaced with people who do it for the passion of the game as opposed to lust for financial gain I will not return. If that means I'm gone for good, so be it. But that is my personal condition for returning. A REAL "New NHL".

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyllia View Post
I've thought about tossing some cold, hard cash on the ice. And by cold, hard cash, I mean cold, hard Monopoly money cash...
Get people to throw those old cartoon style money bags on the ice

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They've punished themselves. Lost gate revenues, canceled season tickets (those are hard to replace), lost sponsors, and tarnished reputation.

They have already raised ticket prices too high for me to go to games unless I get free tickets, so that doesn't matter.

I bought a jersey last year so I probably won't buy any other merch for another five years.

But I'll watch the games on TV.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risiko View Post

Although I think this is too ambitious, it'd send a major message if for the first night the NHL is back, all the arena's are empty. I think we could orchestrate this. If we can get Rory Fitzpatrick into the All-Star game, we can do this.
That's a pipe dream if I ever saw one. You're asking fans to endure the lockout and continue to not watch after it has come back. It's a good idea theoretically but it's not applicable practically.

And 'we' didn't get Rory into the All-Star game.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 12257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risiko View Post

Although I think this is too ambitious, it'd send a major message if for the first night the NHL is back, all the arena's are empty. I think we could orchestrate this.
These guys are full of ****.

They picked the 21 of December because they figure there is a deal coming and they will only have to sit out a handful of games.

If the season is cancelled and a deal doesn't get done until next December, are these blowhards going to sit out another 82 games? Not Bloody Likely! Especially while everyone else is at or watching the game.

I'm waiting for their New Year's Resolution video. You know the one where they quit smoking, drinking, and lose some weight.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:12 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
There lots of cool things that could be done but most of them require too much effort for such a wide vast group of people.

I could see something like every fan wearing their jerseys inside out at the first few games catching on to make a 'statement'. But even that would take some viral support.

Plus we should all expect when the lockout is over both sides are going to be crawling back to us begging our forgiveness. And most of us gulible, hockey loving sacks will leap into the NHLs arms and hold on tight (me included).

How I wish we could have a fan union.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
There lots of cool things that could be done but most of them require too much effort for such a wide vast group of people.

I could see something like every fan wearing their jerseys inside out at the first few games catching on to make a 'statement'. But even that would take some viral support.

Plus we should all expect when the lockout is over both sides are going to be crawling back to us begging our forgiveness. And most of us gulible, hockey loving sacks will leap into the NHLs arms and hold on tight (me included).

How I wish we could have a fan union.
The only 'statement' that can be made is with their wallets. These stands that people want to take are pure fantasy. The only time the owners will bat an eye is when people are genuinely disinterested in the sport and don't sell out arenas for months at a time and not just a few games at the beginning. And there is just no way a fan union would be anything but symbolism without any real power.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:56 PM
2-4 Slashin
Tony Granato Fan!

You will not see me at a game for at least a season. I will not buy anything NHL related and will eat before I go to Staples the following season. I gave what I gave and will wear my old jerseys. They took and will not take anymore. Watching games on TV will be my only contribution to the league.
I love hockey. But I can no longer deal with owners who overspend then complain about being in the financial hole and conversely players who complain they are being taken advantage of while they make more money than I will ever see in a league that makes the least revenue of the big 4.
This league has doen this twice to it's fans (BOTH SIDES NHL and NHLPA) I say yes to a 10 year CBA and yes to 50/50 revenue sharing and UFA at 28 years old.
If the players don't believe this league is the fourth of the big 4 they should look at the ratings on TV. It's the best sport in the world run by the most asinine group of owners and players union in sports.

Slashin

2-4 Slashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:10 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
I love the throwing monopoly money on the ice idea, hahaha. That would make Sportscentre.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 12257
I get the frustration and appreciate a good analogy (like monopoly $) but it is ill-advised to throw anything onto the ice.

Stay classy fans.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote