HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 813

Old
01-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

vCash: 500
That is pretty much how it is everywhere with a temperate climate, yet everyone always thinks their home has CRAZY WEATHER!!11

01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quick question here for everyone... So I'm thinking of driving up to Canada for my spring break (March 2-10) and possibly catching a hockey game while I'm up there. Unfortunately the Canes won't be playing up there but I would still love to see a game in either Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal.

Does anyone here have any good/bad experiences with any of those cities? Also how possible do you think it would be to get a ticket to a game for one of those teams?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

I went to Montreal last Spring. There were a lot of people selling tickets outside. I ended up getting one at face value and I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a better deal than that, but I didn't really want to spend a lot of time dealing with it. They were well out of the playoff race by that point, which could have been a factor. Montreal is a really cool city, and I don't know that there is a bigger hockey city in the world, which makes it a pretty great place for a hockey fan. Some of my photos and thoughts from my trip are here: http://www.jonathanhawkins.net/montreal2012.php (Habs game is at the very bottom; last part of the article).

Old
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I went to Montreal last Spring. There were a lot of people selling tickets outside. I ended up getting one at face value and I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a better deal than that, but I didn't really want to spend a lot of time dealing with it. They were well out of the playoff race by that point, which could have been a factor. Montreal is a really cool city, and I don't know that there is a bigger hockey city in the world, which makes it a pretty great place for a hockey fan. Some of my photos and thoughts from my trip are here: http://www.jonathanhawkins.net/montreal2012.php (Habs game is at the very bottom; last part of the article).
Very cool pictures, I was thinking i might have to just visit Toronto since its the shortest trip, but Montreal seems very cool as well. How bad was the language barrier?

Old
01-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

I speak no French and I didn't have a problem. A lot of signage and announcements are in both languages, and everyone I encountered spoke both. If they started speaking French they picked up rather quickly that I was not understanding and switch to English.

Toronto is an amazing city from what I hear. I've never been, but it is near the top of my list of places to visit.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 312
Likewise similar experiences in Montreal when I went up there to visit. VERY friendly people though that may in part have been due to the fact that we were in a decent sized group mixed of Canes and Habs fans.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
Quick question here for everyone... So I'm thinking of driving up to Canada for my spring break (March 2-10) and possibly catching a hockey game while I'm up there. Unfortunately the Canes won't be playing up there but I would still love to see a game in either Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal.

Does anyone here have any good/bad experiences with any of those cities? Also how possible do you think it would be to get a ticket to a game for one of those teams?
Ottawa is very doable. Toronto, terribly busy city with super expensive ticket prices. Not worth it. Montreal no idea.

Quick question. Does anyone know if the foreign teams (like my incoming Senators) leave RDU through the main terminal? Im thinking about trying to get some autographs if so. Anyone with some insight on this?

Old
01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
WWAD

I had a similar experience in Montreal as well. The Montreal fans were super friendly, and just as knowledgeable about the Hurricanes players as their own. It is an incredibly beautiful city, and St. Catherine Street is one of the coolest streets I've ever spent time wandering. Unlike other parts of Quebec Province, I didn't run across anyone at all who had a problem conversing in English, and most of the signs are in both French and English. I've been to games at close to a dozen other teams arenas, but Montreal was my favorite trip hands down (even though we lost in overtime.)

Old
01-31-2013, 09:10 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
Yep.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 50
Gizoogling Jonathan's blog is awesome.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:18 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Currently playing an EASHL game with Shutdown_Sutter and one of the CPU players on our team is named S. RUUTU.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Currently playing an EASHL game with Shutdown_Sutter and one of the CPU players on our team is named S. RUUTU.
It was amazing.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Nine years ago today.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Ouch.

I'd prefer to remember this:

Old
02-01-2013, 01:03 AM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Greatest Panthers game ever.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
It was amazing.
XBox or PS3? been thinking about getting back into that mode and my team disbanded.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 50
I've never played anything but pickup games but I'm pretty damn good at NHL 13 (I beat Superstar against the AI like 5 or 6 to nothing). I like to play RD when I'm playing online. Lemme know if any of you are trying to play on PS3!

Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I've never played anything but pickup games but I'm pretty damn good at NHL 13 (I beat Superstar against the AI like 5 or 6 to nothing). I like to play RD when I'm playing online. Lemme know if any of you are trying to play on PS3!
I'm on PS3 as well. Don't know who else is.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Shutdown Sutter and I are both on Xbox, sadly.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Lucky Lindy

I have xbox, and it would be great if I could play someone sometime. I live only six hours before you guys, but that should be no problem!

Old
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Iím only about half-way through the season, but I have to say, House of Cards is fantastic. Netflix swung for the fences and hit a home run. The storylines are intriguing, the cast is great (Spacey in particular) and the production value is terrific.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, you donít need a Netflix account to watch the 1st episode --> http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ho...Cards/70178217

Old
02-01-2013, 05:26 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:

I drove to Montreal from Greenville NC many years ago for spring break. We caught a Flyers/Habs game. We bought our tickets over the phone....ended up with 3 singles, close but not together. Had a great time in Montreal. I spoke a little French, so that helped, but most everyone we met, spoke English. And we were treated very well, speople were excited to talk to guys from North Carolina, where "Mayberry" is! We ended up trading our single tickets in for some seats that were together with a scalper....who was also a very nice guy! I had been told to expect to be treated like crap...our experience was just the opposite.

Old
02-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cane View Post
Iím only about half-way through the season, but I have to say, House of Cards is fantastic. Netflix swung for the fences and hit a home run. The storylines are intriguing, the cast is great (Spacey in particular) and the production value is terrific.

If anyone is interested in checking it out, you donít need a Netflix account to watch the 1st episode --> http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ho...Cards/70178217
Been meaning to watch it.

Did you catch "The Americans" on FX?

Holy ****, that show had it all for its first episode, and I have to give them an A+++ on Music.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:

Late to the party on this, but I used to live not far from Montreal and have been there many times, even used to catch MLB games back when the Expos were there, even saw the Habs and Gretzky in the old Forum, formula one races, etc... Other than how cold it can be, even in the Summer, one of my favorites cities. Speaking english is not an issue at all. As many have said, St. Catherine street is fantastic (and not just for the "adult clubs") and so many excellent restaurants and bars to choose from.

Scalpers are pretty prevalent near the Bell Centre so you should be able to get tickets through them. Also, if you are a skiier at all, a trip to Mont Tremblant for a day is recommended. Should be decent skiing even in March (although I have no idea how much snow they've had this year), but it's like it's own European village.

Can't comment on Toronto or Ottawa other than to say expect to pay through the nose for a game in Toronto.

Closed Thread