HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Novacane
My Hero

vCash: 500
For those of you who pay attention to football recruiting, man has Ole Miss gotten a haul so far today. #1 DE, #1 OT, and #10 OT. Probably more on the way too...

Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I just ****ing watched the entire series. All 6 episodes. One day.

I just may be the most useless human being on the planet.

Care to discuss, Paul? My mind's running faster than it has been since I was wondering if Snape was good or bad (and I totally called THAT one).
Oh absolutely. One of the things that drove me the most nuts about watching Sherlock was that I didn't really know anyone else who was watching it, so I had no one to talk about it with.

And I hammered them out in marathon sessions as well. I first found it on Netflix before I had heard much about it anywhere, and then borrowed the bluray from a friend as soon as the season 2 disc came out in the States. Although my marathon watching certainly doesn't match your one day Sherlock-a-thon!

Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Does anyone know what process you have to do in order to post images without the increase size header popping up? It's been driving me crazy trying different sites and file types.
There seems to be a limit on the maximum image size on this forum. I did some testing for my GDT last weekend and the biggest image I was able to post without the header was 350px x 300px.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
Oh absolutely. One of the things that drove me the most nuts about watching Sherlock was that I didn't really know anyone else who was watching it, so I had no one to talk about it with.

And I hammered them out in marathon sessions as well. I first found it on Netflix before I had heard much about it anywhere, and then borrowed the bluray from a friend as soon as the season 2 disc came out in the States. Although my marathon watching certainly doesn't match your one day Sherlock-a-thon!
Ok, cool. I'll put it in white because I forget how to do the spoiler box and I'm tired and don't feel like figuring it out.

OK so if they explained the cliffhanger from Series 1, with Sherlock pointing the gun at the bomb jacket and the snipers all locked on Sherlock and Watson, I completely missed it. Did they explain it? I thought they didn't but then I talked to my sister and she said they did but I don't recall.

I'm sure this has already been swirling around the internet for awhile, so forgive me if I'm making obvious observations, but I definitely want to know what Molly did to help fake Sherlock's death. He says he thinks he's going to die and he needs a favor, then she says yes and leaves and she's never seen again.

While I get that Moffat's a huge fan of the original stories and Moriarti wasn't a huge part of those stories, it's still a shame that Moriarti's dead (and I totally think he is). He's basically The Joker, I'm obsessed with him, best villain since Ledger's Joker and even then it's definitely a discussion. His death, while mindblowing, was a shame.

Definitely let me know about this bomb thing if there's any truth to it, not cool to leave a 2 year cliffhanger like that and not even address it.

EDIT: Oh shoot, I just looked up the summary of Episode 4, I must've been like microwaving pizza or something when that whole scene happened, I have no recollection of The Beegees until Episode 6. I'll have to go back and watch that scene today haha.

Last edited by Anton Dubinchuk: 02-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenatzu View Post
There seems to be a limit on the maximum image size on this forum. I did some testing for my GDT last weekend and the biggest image I was able to post without the header was 350px x 300px.
Alright, thanks. I'll have to try that, but it kind of ruins what I was planning on doing.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:04 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
wooot! best class since the Geno Smith/Tavon Austin/Stedman Bailey class for WVU. Possibly better with the quality depth we have coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
For those of you who pay attention to football recruiting, man has Ole Miss gotten a haul so far today. #1 DE, #1 OT, and #10 OT. Probably more on the way too...
Somewhere in Texas, an SMU booster or alum from the 80s is saying "jesus christ guys, you can't be THAT obvious about it"

Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Ok, cool. I'll put it in white because I forget how to do the spoiler box and I'm tired and don't feel like figuring it out.
Ok, spolier-y stuff below in white.

It's been over a year since I watched the end of season one and the cliffhanger, and your question has me needing to go back and watch it, because I honestly can't remember exactly how that happened. But I am just absolutely sure that the gun pointed at the bomb jacket was explained, or at least explained in a way that I could recognize it. But man, now I'm curious as to how that all worked out exactly. I might have to watch it again tonight just to be sure... because you've got me wondering.

I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan in general, but haven't really delved into the stories probably since high school -- a long time ago {ahem} -- and have to admit the way that this series has modernized the old tales is terrific. It's a perfect mix of sort of "one off" episodes and the reimagining of Moriarty as a sort of "super-villain," which I love too. Your comparison to The Joker is probably perfect, especially in light of Season 2 and his wanting to make Holmes sort of "dance" for him. And discrediting and shaming Holmes was his primary concern above all else -- he could have killed Holmes at about any time with a hired assassin, but wanted to play him all the way to the end.

The thing that's been driving me nuts since the end of Season 2 is my fear that the clue as to how Sherlock faked his own death will be a clue "we haven't noticed," as the show runners have alluded to. I told my wife that would definitely wind up being something of a cop-out!

Of the clues I can think of off the top of my head: Molly's help (this will be key), the dummy from the apartment on Baker St., and Moriarty's probable Sherlock disguise. And don't forget Watson not being able to examine the body closely after he jumped, and that all-too-coincidental accident with the cyclist to prevent him from getting closer.

I like the Molly angle a lot, especially since Moriarty duped her with his "Jim" alter ego to get in the same room as Holmes in Season One.

I'm very disappointed too that Moriarty will (probably) turn out dead as well. I'm betting on dead, as his method of death was fairly straight-forward, and hey, SOMEBODY'S body wound up on the sidewalk in place of Holmes (unless Holmes himself landed elsewhere and then "posed" as the corpse.

All that said, I think I loved every episode with the exception possibly of the "Hounds" ep. Going into it I knew that one would be a tough one to pull off, so I guess I have to say I merely "like" rather than love that one.

Edit: Let me also add that it's been almost a year since I watched Season 2, I think, and over a year since Season 1. My memory may or may not be perfect so I had to resort to the Google and closing my eyes and thinking hard.

Edit 2: Have I told anyone yet that I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really excited about Benedict Cumberbatch playing a villain in Start Trek: Into Darkness? I'm talking pants ****ing excited as all of my nerd worlds collide.

Last edited by PaulProteus: 02-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3205
Quote:
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sherlock/21050/explaining-the-ending-of-sherlock-series-2

This round-up is indebted to the tireless work of the commenters on this site who have sifted through details to provide theories and observations galore. Here goes then, just how did Sherlock pull off the mother of all fake-outs?

Molly

As soon as the latter stages of Moriarty’s game dawn on Sherlock, it’s off to Molly he runs, to tell her not only that she counts, but that he needs her help.

We can assume then, that Molly Hooper is in some way instrumental to Sherlock’s false ending. Conveniently, she wasn’t one of Moriarty’s three targets, despite being on the Baker Street Christmas party invite list, and despite Moriarty knowing about her thanks to those three dates they went on (she sure can pick ‘em, that Molly Hooper).

Molly not being tracked by a sniper meant she could gad about falsifying coroner’s reports and fiddling with corpses to her heart’s content. Or to Sherlock’s content, we should say.

Her access to dead bodies, pathology reports and medical personnel make her a sure thing for some kind of involvement. But which was it? A corpse-swap? A false report? Both?

The rubbish truck

Killer7 was the first but by no means the last of our commenters to cite the significance of the red pick-up truck in Sherlock’s Houdini-like escape. Filled with rubbish bags (but is that all it's filled with?), the open-backed vehicle was parked next to the spot on the pavement spot where the body landed, and pulled away just as the crowd rushed to the scene.

That’s some damning evidence right there. Casually driving off when a man has seemingly jumped to his death mere feet away is unusual behaviour to say the least. Clever commenters have suggested that the truck – if it was indeed Sherlock who jumped – was a prepared and cushioned landing spot, parked precisely to block Watson’s view (and presumably that of the sniper Holmes was also trying to fool) giving Sherlock time to break a blood capsule or two and move relatively unharmed to the pavement where he played dead.

If not that, then the truck could still have been there to obscure a switch of some kind, and to carry off the non-Sherlock body, whoever that may be.

One interesting observation arrived from commenter Aranya, who remarked upon the clearly chalked out rectangle on the pavement surrounding the spot the body landed, a shape which tallied precisely with where the truck was parked. Chalk? Suspicious driving? Bags of rubbish? It’s got plan written all over it.

The cyclist

This was no accident, our commenters screamed. On his way to the body, Watson was knocked down by a timely cyclist, disorientating him and keeping him away for precious seconds.

Holmes made reference to his homeless network earlier in The Reichenbach Fall, and the consensus seems to be that that’s where the mysterious cyclist (again, who fails to stop when confronted with an apparent suicide just yards away) hails from.

Wilder imaginations have linked the cyclist and Watson’s discombobulation to a swiftly administered dose of fear gas from The Hounds of Baskerville, making Watson see what his mind expected him to when he eventually reached the body. We're yet to be convinced this last point isn't one complication too many.

The screaming girl

Now this is an interesting point. Part of Moriarty’s plot to discredit Holmes involved framing him for the kidnap of the ambassador’s children. To achieve this, Moriarty somehow conditioned the young girl to be deathly afraid of Holmes, hence her screaming when Sherlock entered the police questioning room.

There are various theories on how this was done, from the extreme: Moriarty using plastic surgery to make one of his goons into a Holmes lookalike, to the mundane: a bespoke Holmes mask or dummy (the latter of which does pop up in a later Conan Doyle story) or simply pictures of Holmes being used to traumatise the children. It wouldn’t be the first creepy video Moriarty had knocked together in that episode...

If there is a Holmes lookalike around, and one in the habit of kidnapping children, then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to chuck him off a building we suppose, though we’re going to need more convincing on the body double idea. It just doesn't seem, what's the word? Elegant.

Mycroft

Mycroft, remember, practically is the British government. He’d have the resources at hand to stage any number of fake public suicides one would imagine, and he's not squeamish around corpses as the flight of the dead proved. But Mycroft's involvement rests on this: would Holmes have gone to him for help?

Unlikely, we think, judging from Moriarty’s speech to John about there being too much history between them, too many old scores and resentments.

Though what are we to make of Mycroft’s pensive expression after reading his brother’s story in The Sun? Is that grief and regret we see flash across Mycroft in the Diogenes Club, or could it be the careful poker face of someone in on the plan?

Moriarty

Sceptical lot that you are, many just wouldn’t accept that a self-administered bullet through the brain could kill off Moriarty. There was talk of prosthetics, blanks, fake blood, and the suspicion that there wouldn’t a corpse by the time anybody came looking.

We’re not really sold on this particular conspiracy. The Reichenbach Falls have ever meant the death of Moriarty, and there seems little incentive for Moffat, Gatiss and Thompson to deviate from source on this particular point, especially when they’re at liberty to do as Conan Doyle did and move back and forth in Holmes’ timeline.

No, Moriarty’s not just resting, we know a dead parrot when we see one. But is his the corpse that gets lobbed off the building in Sherlock's coat? Well that rather depends on our next candidate...

Watson

After returning from the wild goose chase, Watson arrives at the scene and is made to fix his eyes on Holmes. Witnessing the fall, he’s then knocked down by the cyclist, and blocked by the crowd (of Sherlock employees?), before he eventually reaches the body.

If the body was indeed Holmes feigning death on the pavement after landing safely in the rubbish truck, his heart would be racing. How then, could a medical doctor be fooled into thinking he had no pulse?

A tricky one, this, with possible explanations being that either the body was indeed dead and made up to look like Holmes, or the more prosaic solution that Watson was in no fit state to make medical judgements.

There is precedent in the Conan Doyle story The Adventure of the Dying Detective for Holmes to trick Watson’s medical instincts, but we may just have to wait for series 3 to get the final part to this puzzle.

So there we have it. The curious case of the rubbish truck, the well-timed cyclist, and the faked coroner's report. Any advance on that?
This is some pretty interesting stuff right here, I think the cyclist definitely has something to do with it, no way they just had Watson get hit by a biker in a moment like that if it didn't have something to do with the fake. The truck is interesting, I don't remember it like that, but if it does drive away right as the body hits like they said it did that could be something too. Either way, Molly DEFINITELY has something to do with it.

What dummy at Baker St. are you talking about? The severed head in the fridge? Or was there an actual dummy? After spending 9 hours on this show yesterday and having a test on Friday I'm not quite ready to go back and rewatch yet, so refresh my memory.

So the resolution to the cliffhanger was "Staying Alive." Moriarti picks up his cell phone (and The Beegees are the ringtone) and Adler calls him. Then they just kinda walk away.

EDIT: Well coloring it silver for the spoilers doesn't really work...

Old
02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
TBH, when I first saw it I said many things in my brain that were so bad, even asterisk's would've gotten me infractions.

That said, after some time to cool down, it's starting to grow on me... a bit. It still looks like it's straight outta a Japanese Anime. Hopefully a cool one like Ninja Scroll or Vampire Hunter D
I'm surprised you didn't like it right off the bat... I think it's awesome. Now you just need the team to play that way.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:

EDIT: Well coloring it silver for the spoilers doesn't really work...
Oh man, now that I think about it... (Here's another good link to spoilery speculation on Sherlock.)

Am I completely making the dummy/mannequin part up??? I could have sworn that there was some sort of mannequin in Holmes and Watson's apartment, but maybe it was entirely a figment of my imagination brought on by a year in time passing.

The more I start thinking about those theories, btw, the more and more I'm convinced that the head (or imaginary dummy) won't play a part in it... but who knows. But that would depend on how large of a role Molly has in the faked death. Does she arrange for the "fake" body? Or simply fake the death report on Moriarty's body?

I'm just dying to know what this "missed clue" Moffat keeps alluding to is!

And here's one more thing I know: I'm going to watch the season two finale AGAIN ASAP.

But still, damn them for making us wait this long.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:15 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

RIP Saturday mail.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
RIP Saturday mail.
The **** that I've gone through with USPS on a couple of recent eBay purchases makes me realize I won't notice a difference whether they're delivering or not some days.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
I'm surprised you didn't like it right off the bat... I think it's awesome. Now you just need the team to play that way.
The first time I saw it, I was reminded of my work in art class as a 6 year old back in 1989. After the initial reaction passed, it started to grow on me, and honestly, looking at it objectivley now, I really do like it.

Now, I'll be curious to see if they do anything with the uniforms other than the helmets.

Remember Shad (is it okay if I call you Shad, Mr. Khan?) Please, don't get rid of the teal. The teal is awesome, errbody has black jersies these days, but I can't think of another pro sports team that rocks teal (other than maybe the Sharks)

I like the Panthers look to. We all gotta stick together ya know. Other than both coming in in the same expansion class and both being in "The South" (Jacksonville is in the redneck part of Florida ) we're part of the exclusive "Cat Club" only Detroit and Cincinatti can also claim membership to this exclusive group

Old
02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Somewhere in Texas, an SMU booster or alum from the 80s is saying "jesus christ guys, you can't be THAT obvious about it"

Old
02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Remember Shad (is it okay if I call you Shad, Mr. Khan?) Please, don't get rid of the teal. The teal is awesome, errbody has black jersies these days, but I can't think of another pro sports team that rocks teal (other than maybe the Sharks)
The rumor is that there will be more gold involved. Not sure what that means for teal, but there you go.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
RIP Saturday mail.
I wish they only delivered on Saturday

Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
The rumor is that there will be more gold involved. Not sure what that means for teal, but there you go.
I got that feeling from the not so subtle color change that went on at jaguars.com

Gold is fine tho, but there *HAS* to be teal somewhere. Jags colors always were teal and gold with the teal more pronounced, if they wanna swap it, that's cool, a rebranding every now and then is fine, I just hope that there's still teal somewhere (other than the Jaguar's tongue)

Old
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Likely to get two feet of snow in my area.. Times like these I wish I lived in North Carolina.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Well, I have quite the busy day today. Nobody cares, but I'm gonna post it anyways.

9:35-10:50 Dynamics test (which I did terribad on)
10:55-12:30 Sit around right now/research a company
12:50-1:20ish Go to materials science for ~30-35 minutes
2:00-3:00 Attend a co-op orientation
4:00-4:45 Screening interview for a potential co-op
6:00-7:15 Go to differential equations
7:30 Turn on Canes game
9:00 Watch either or both of the Canes game and State game
11:00 Go to the grocery store
12:30ish Maybe conclude the day with some Borderlands 2 with a friend

Old
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Well, I have quite the busy day today. Nobody cares, but I'm gonna post it anyways.

9:35-10:50 Dynamics test (which I did terribad on)
10:55-12:30 Sit around right now/research a company
12:50-1:20ish Go to materials science for ~30-35 minutes
2:00-3:00 Attend a co-op orientation
4:00-4:45 Screening interview for a potential co-op
6:00-7:15 Go to differential equations
7:30 Turn on Canes game
9:00 Watch either or both of the Canes game and State game
11:00 Go to the grocery store
12:30ish Maybe conclude the day with some Borderlands 2 with a friend
First of all, you forgot "Turn off Canes game when they're down 3-0 after 10 minutes" at 7:40.

Second, Borderlands 2

Old
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
First of all, you forgot "Turn off Canes game when they're down 3-0 after 10 minutes" at 7:40.

Second, Borderlands 2
Yeah, silly me. How dare I forget the basics.

Also, I interviewed early, so I have some down time in that schedule. Now the hard part of the day is over, I'm pretty relieved.

The Borderlands series is probably one of my favorite series as far as video games go. I played through the first game probably three or four times, and I've made it to about the same point with both my roommate and my friend from Massachusetts. It's one of those games that never gets old, and keeps you engaged with its action and humor.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

TWD back on Sunday!

Old
02-07-2013, 03:22 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post

TWD back on Sunday!
Yessssssssss.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

So I am to expect 18-25" of snow tomorrow/Saturday? What the ****.

Think we could cool it on the storms up here lately?

Old
02-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
So I am to expect 18-25" of snow tomorrow/Saturday? What the ****.

Think we could cool it on the storms up here lately?
I heard they was calling for 3-30 in some places.

I guess over the weekend here, it will be between 0 and 100.

Closed Thread