HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
why not? frankly I honestly think our fanbase has done an OK job of being welcoming to old Whalers fans that want to keep supporting, but that we could always do better. If someone can still be a fan after a move like that I'm all for having them onboard.

Anyone else and I'd say "that's what happens when you decide to do something stupid", but with you it's "OK, what dumbass did what, and was it for something hilarious?"

This was just monthly misdemeanor court... So it's purely "yes, your honor" all while trying not to snore LOL... Usually something entertaining happens, but today was soooooooooooooo boring

Old
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Datsyuk Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
And you find this something to brag about?
Not really bragging, you just don't see many people wearing Whaler jerseys or sweatshirts at games at PNC, plus being up here in the north it's a way of respecting where Carolina came from.

Problem?

Old
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Datsyuk Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
why not? frankly I honestly think our fanbase has done an OK job of being welcoming to old Whalers fans that want to keep supporting, but that we could always do better. If someone can still be a fan after a move like that I'm all for having them onboard.
Yep.

Honestly, I don't see the problem in still supporting the Whalers, it's still the same franchise.

Quote:
That's how you see it, Dave. I tend to see it as a backhanded condemnation of the Hurricanes existence.
How? Ask Chuck Kaiton, Forslund and yes even Tripp Tracy and see if they see it as a condemnation when someone wears a Whalers jersey or any memorabilia. It's more of respecting where the franchise came from and without it the 'Canes wouldn't have had great players like Francis, Wesley, Dineen and Sanderson.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I don't think alot of former whaler fans really care about Carolina.. like I don't hear people up here saying Carolina stole our team.. it was more PK and Rowland who ****ed that up..

Seeing as they've had the same management since they left and have respected former whaler players, I see it as the same franchise more so then say Colorado/Quebec or PHX/Winnipeg.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Datsyuk Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I don't think alot of former whaler fans really care about Carolina.. like I don't hear people up here saying Carolina stole our team.. it was more PK and Rowland who ****ed that up..

Seeing as they've had the same management since they left and have respected former whaler players, I see it as the same franchise more so then say Colorado/Quebec or PHX/Winnipeg.
Of course not, some are just simply pissed at Karmanos and rightfully so, Karmanos couldn't sell enough tickets and decided to pack up earlier than promised.

True, I mean I've followed the 'Canes since I moved to the country and loved them ever since, learned more about them as a franchise and also fell for the Whalers, impressive history to say the least.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
Bumping in case anyone missed this the first time around.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
garnetpalmetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Prospect View Post
Not really bragging, you just don't see many people wearing Whaler jerseys or sweatshirts at games at PNC, plus being up here in the north it's a way of respecting where Carolina came from.

Problem?
Just that I find the Hartford Whalers massively overrated on all fronts. Their logo was dreadful, their uniforms detestable, and the person who composed the musical excrement that is "Brass Bonanza" deserves to be drug out and subjected to death by slapshot to atone for his crimes against humanity, after which every recording of it should be burnt in one massive pyre that makes the Chicago White Sox "Disco Demolition Night" look like a Boy Scout hot dog roast. Were it not for this sickening wave of 1970s/early 1980s nostalgia rolling through hockey fandom, the Whalers would rightfully be consigned to the dustbin of history along with other failed/relocated sports franchises.

Quote:
Yep.

Honestly, I don't see the problem in still supporting the Whalers, it's still the same franchise.

How? Ask Chuck Kaiton, Forslund and yes even Tripp Tracy and see if they see it as a condemnation when someone wears a Whalers jersey or any memorabilia. It's more of respecting where the franchise came from and without it the 'Canes wouldn't have had great players like Francis, Wesley, Dineen and Sanderson.
The reason I tend to see it as a condemnation is that all too often the person wearing said Whalers gear makes some comment akin to "Man, I miss the Whale. They were great. They never should have moved" or "Hartford deserves their (meaning our) team back." During the 2004-2005 Lockout, I constantly heard people flapping their gums that it was idiotic to move a hockey team to NC, that they should have stayed in Hartford "where they belong." Even still on other team's GDTs you'll see little snide comments from people who refuse to refer to us as anything but the Whalers, as if the team's entire lineage from 1997 onwards is somehow illegitimate. It gets tiresome after awhile and I guess I've developed a hair trigger against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post

Then you haven't been listening to the people I did before/during the lockout.
Quote:
Of course not, some are just simply pissed at Karmanos and rightfully so, Karmanos couldn't sell enough tickets and decided to pack up earlier than promised.

True, I mean I've followed the 'Canes since I moved to the country and loved them ever since, learned more about them as a franchise and also fell for the Whalers, impressive history to say the least.
An impressive history of what? Playing in a shopping mall whose roof collapsed due to snow and forcing them into a minor league arena? Winning the championship of a League so poorly run it didn't even have a trophy to present to them? While some good players did pass through the hockey hell that was Hartford, CT the franchise's only good days have been since they've moved to NC.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I just think it's a bit silly.. We're all Canes fans here.. Whether we started as Whalers fans that followed them down to Carolina or rooted for them when they moved here.. I don't think there is anything wrong about being nostalgic about what once was and showing pride in the history of the franchise.

Hell, at the Devils game the other night, they showed a guy wearing a Colorado Rockies jersey lol. I think some fans feel its a respect thing.

I do however, get the different perspective if you don't like anything about the Whalers or all the bitter Whaler fans you've come across.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Novacane

Just finished season 2 of Breaking Bad. My God...

Old
03-12-2013, 01:01 AM
bilpeto
#Rongos Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
I just finished season 1 a couple of days ago. Also literally just finished season 1 of Weeds as well.

Both of those after I finished season 1 of Mad Men over spring break.

....I have some decisions to make...

Old
03-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
aho

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Just wait. Season's 3 and 4 are WAY better.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Novacane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Don't do this to me.

I spent the whole season changing my mind about that teddy bear and then dat ending. I knew what was coming mid final episode, but damn was I so wrong at the beginning.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:32 AM
bilpeto
#Rongos Bandwagon

And now I'm watching episode 6 of The Americans, despite my better judgment telling me to go to sleep.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
yep.....

Old
03-12-2013, 09:08 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Mad Men is an excellent show.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
SCanedinavian

Two swiss football fans got to watch their team from a hot tub at the sidelines cause of a sponsor promotion. Pretty damn awesome.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Datsyuk Prospect

Quote:
Just that I find the Hartford Whalers massively overrated on all fronts. Their logo was dreadful, their uniforms detestable, and the person who composed the musical excrement that is "Brass Bonanza" deserves to be drug out and subjected to death by slapshot to atone for his crimes against humanity, after which every recording of it should be burnt in one massive pyre that makes the Chicago White Sox "Disco Demolition Night" look like a Boy Scout hot dog roast. Were it not for this sickening wave of 1970s/early 1980s nostalgia rolling through hockey fandom, the Whalers would rightfully be consigned to the dustbin of history along with other failed/relocated sports franchises.
Each to their own, never said they were underrated or anything of that sort, but there's always going to be that person that will indeed overate them. Personally, I like the logo, even their first one.

Quote:
The reason I tend to see it as a condemnation is that all too often the person wearing said Whalers gear makes some comment akin to "Man, I miss the Whale. They were great. They never should have moved" or "Hartford deserves their (meaning our) team back." During the 2004-2005 Lockout, I constantly heard people flapping their gums that it was idiotic to move a hockey team to NC, that they should have stayed in Hartford "where they belong." Even still on other team's GDTs you'll see little snide comments from people who refuse to refer to us as anything but the Whalers, as if the team's entire lineage from 1997 onwards is somehow illegitimate. It gets tiresome after awhile and I guess I've developed a hair trigger against it.
Well yeah of course there's always going to be that guy, same with fans of the Nordiques or Jets saying they deserve to have their team back. There are many reasons why they're not there and moved onto different locations and then became successful in winning Lord Stanley. (Colorado and Carolina) I guess I'm just a person who likes to respect where the team came from even if they weren't the best team around at that time.

Quote:
An impressive history of what? Playing in a shopping mall whose roof collapsed due to snow and forcing them into a minor league arena? Winning the championship of a League so poorly run it didn't even have a trophy to present to them? While some good players did pass through the hockey hell that was Hartford, CT the franchise's only good days have been since they've moved to NC.
I was referring their time in the WHA not just the NHL which they were known as the "Forever .500" To be fair, Vikings stadium also had their roof collapse due to snow, does that make them any less legitimate?

Wouldn't say "the only good days since they moved to Carolina" there have been quite a couple successful years back in Hartford but there wasn't any consistency year after year. While they have become a better franchise since coming to the triangle due to 2 Stanley Cup runs and winning one and a couple Southeast division championships It still doesn't mean we shouldn't respect where they came from and brought to the table when they relocated here. But then again, that last part of "Respect" is subjective to everyone.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Datsyuk Prospect

Quote:
This.

Quote:
I'm on season 5 and let me just tell you, this show is by far one of the best TV series to be aired.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

Seems like this board has a pretty good taste for TV. Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead are getting a lot of love...

I'd like to give a shout out for Homeland (ShowTime) and Justified (FX). They are both in my top three TV shows (Along with Breaking Bad), but didn't see them mentioned much.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Datsyuk Prospect

Still haven't seen Walking Dead and can't stop hearing about it, I really should give it a try.

Anybody watched Band Of Brothers? Incredible HBO series, I recommend it to anyone who's a WWII buff. Seriously.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

Band of Brothers is spectacular. I've seen it many times and read the book. For a while I called that my favorite movie/television show (it's sort of neither of those). Did you watch The Pacific? It was really good, too, but was never going to be on the same level as Band of Brothers, which had an edge because it follows the same company throughout whereas The Pacific jumps between multiple storylines. Also, the reality from a story telling perspective is that the Pacific campaign just flat out isn't as glamorous (as dumb as it sounds to say something like that). Island hopping and fighting in jungles; every place pretty much looked the same. Europe with its diversity of locations and weather made for a more interesting story, I guess.

As for television shows, there are three that I usually throw out as my all-time favorites: The Wire, Twin Peaks and Breaking Bad.

03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
garnetpalmetto

Quote:
Still haven't seen Walking Dead and can't stop hearing about it, I really should give it a try.

Anybody watched Band Of Brothers? Incredible HBO series, I recommend it to anyone who's a WWII buff. Seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Band of Brothers is spectacular. I've seen it many times and read the book. For a while I called that my favorite movie/television show (it's sort of neither of those). Did you watch The Pacific? It was really good, too, but was never going to be on the same level as Band of Brothers, which had an edge because it follows the same company throughout whereas The Pacific jumps between multiple storylines. Also, the reality from a story telling perspective is that the Pacific campaign just flat out isn't as glamorous (as dumb as it sounds to say something like that). Island hopping and fighting in jungles; every place pretty much looked the same. Europe with its diversity of locations and weather made for a more interesting story, I guess.

As for television shows, there are three that I usually throw out as my all-time favorites: The Wire, Twin Peaks and Breaking Bad.
I do love Band of Brothers - likewise The Wire. I'm also a big fan of Homicide: Life on the Street, which David Simon also was a writer for. Andre Braugher's character is literally one of my favorite television characters of all time.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

For fans of The Wire and Homicide (as I am also), I cannot recommend David Simon's book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets highly enough.

Written by Simon before either television show came to fruition, it's really remarkable. I'm not a fan of "true crime" or police procedurals typically, but it really is a fantastic read.

Fans of the "Homicide" tv show will also recognize the detectives who served as inspiration for the show.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:

Then you haven't been listening to the people I did before/during the lockout.

Look man, I know some people pissed in your Cheerios but if someone's team is taken from them, there are going to be people bitter about it. Hell I hear about how much of an idiot I am for rooting for the Hurricanes because "they left me". Those are just angry bitter people. You just come off as angrier and more bitter about something a great many people remember fondly. It's fine if you don't find the history of the Whalers compelling, but all the ancillary stuff you mention (not the on ice product, the Whalers were not good), the logo? I obviously love it, but you think it's garbage. The Hurricanes logo looks like a toilet flushing. Playing in a minor league arena due to circumstances beyond their control: see Greensboro. Brass Bonanza, I'm not going to try to convince you it's a brilliant piece of music, but I invite you to listen to any of Let's Go Canes or that mess of an Arial Down song and tell me that's musical genius. And while we're on the music/SFX, whoevers idea it was to play a thunderclap during pauses in Francis retirement speech(and every other significant moment in franchise history) should be tarred, feathered, and taped to the net for target practice. And the ****ing Tarzan goal horn BS.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
garnetpalmetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
For fans of The Wire and Homicide (as I am also), I cannot recommend David Simon's book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets.

Written by Simon before either television show came to fruition, it's really remarkable. I'm not a fan of "true crime" or police procedurals typically, but it really is a fantastic read.

Fans of the "Homicide" tv show will also recognize the detectives who served as inspiration for the show.
Interestingly some of those detective went on to play in Homicide and The Wire. The real Jay Landsman would play Bunny Colvin's assistant, Lt. Mello in the Wire and Gary D'Addario (the basis for Gee in Homicide) would play a SWAT team leader in Homicide and a grand jury prosecutor in The Wire.

Closed Thread