HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Jordan Eberle

Old
12-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Descendent*

vCash: 500
He just scored 3 goals tonight for the Barons and has a league leading 19 goals. Tied with Schultz for most points with 37.

Jordan Eberle is da bomb!

Descendent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:00 AM
Tomas W

Its unfortunate for Eberle that the NHL decided to quit the hockey part of thier operations, it could have been his break through year. Oh well, there is always next season.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Its unfortunate for Eberle that the NHL decided to quit the hockey part of thier operations, it could have been his break through year. Oh well, there is always next season.
He already had 76 points in 78 games last year. I think that was his breakthrough year.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He already had 76 points in 78 games last year. I think that was his breakthrough year.
Quite right, but he might very well have an even better year this year.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Vote for Eberle on TSN's greatest Canadian WJC player of all time.

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?id=9734
I love how most players have a short blurb (or none at all) for their notes of distinction. Then there's Eberle

Quote:
Notes of Distinction: One of 6 Canadians to be named tournament MVP since honour introduced in 2005 Led team in goals, points (2010) Averaged 2.2 points per game, highest such mark for players with more than 10 games Holds Canada record for most career goals Tied for second in career points behind Lindros Earned points in all 12 career games the longest career scoring streak in team history by 5 games Scored 10 goals (including 2 shootout) in 5 games over two years vs USA, Russia, Sweden One of 2 Canadians with double-digit career games to average a goal per game (Carter).

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

With 5 seconds left, destiny panics.

maplehawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:46 AM
tony d
The man

Such a great international player. Perhaps one of the best WJC players Canada has ever had.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Such a great international player. Perhaps one of the best WJC players Canada has ever had.
Agreed. However, there are many, many players who never get to play in this tournament as a 19 year old. If Eberle put up these numbers, imagine Tavares at 19 or Crosby.

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Wheatking

The funny thing is that even though he scored 42 goals in his draft year and had 23 goals/42 points in 33 WHL games heading into the tournament...he was relatively unknown. Even by Oilers fans. I remember a lot of people tuning in to see "who this Eberle kid is" and some even being surprised that he was in a top 6 role.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:20 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
The funny thing is that even though he scored 42 goals in his draft year and had 23 goals/42 points in 33 WHL games heading into the tournament...he was relatively unknown. Even by Oilers fans. I remember a lot of people tuning in to see "who this Eberle kid is" and some even being surprised that he was in a top 6 role.
I will admit that I thought MPS would end up being a better player than him.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:40 PM
OilFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I will admit that I thought MPS would end up being a better player than him.
haha ouch..

i think we could see a hall rnh ebs line on future wc teams and olympics with schultz behind them

OilFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Patchey*

I was watching the 2010 final with my girlfriend at the time. I turned to her and said. "If Eberle scores two goals to tie it, I'm breaking up with you, and I am going to marry Eberle."

Sure enough, he scored both goals to tie the game. She turned to me and said "It's okay, I understand"....

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:00 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Did people really say that? I don't really remember that well but I could have sworn everybody (or a lot of people) on the boards was saying to draft Eberle on draft day and we actually ended up doing it. Mind you, back then WHL hockey was just making it's return to Edmonton and the interest/knowledge level wasn't as high so I could see what you're saying..

I do remember Eberle playing terrible in the 2008 summer camp and people saying he might not be invited to the winter camp because he looked out of place and slow and behind the play.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Did people really say that? I don't really remember that well but I could have sworn everybody (or a lot of people) on the boards was saying to draft Eberle on draft day and we actually ended up doing it. Mind you, back then WHL hockey was just making it's return to Edmonton and the interest/knowledge level wasn't as high so I could see what you're saying..

I do remember Eberle playing terrible in the 2008 summer camp and people saying he might not be invited to the winter camp because he looked out of place and slow and behind the play.
Eberle or Ennis were the names being thrown out there on draft day for the Oilers but that's mostly just because of there they were ranked. Very few really knew what they were talking about. All anyone really knew about Eberle was that while he scored a lot of goals, he was a weak skater and undersized. There wasn't a whole lot of hype surrounding him heading into the WJC. The long term expectation for him was that he would be a 2nd liner. Gagner(drafted 6th overall a year earlier) was the future of the Oilers at that time.

And I'll admit that there was a time when I thought Paajarvi would be the better player too. That just shows underrated Eberle has always been. Even after two great appearances at the WJC, being named CHL Player of the Year and putting up 4 points in 4 games at the World Championships without even playing an NHL game...most people(myself included) still thought he'd only MAYBE become a 30 goal/60 point player in his prime.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:32 PM
leafsfuture

Eberle is hands down Canada's greatest World Junior player ever. Not just because of the goals and the points, but the timing of his goals, and what he did for the significance of the World Juniors in Canada.

In terms of national popularity and attention, I dont think any world junior will ever again top 2009 and 2010. Obviously in 2009 it was supposed to be the Tavares show, but in 2010 it was pretty much Jordan Eberle.

I get pumped up every year for the world juniors largely because of the things Eberle did in 2009 and 2010.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:46 PM
RattsSSV
Thanks Smytty!

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Why the **** is it a Twitter vote?
Those damn Oiler fans and their ballot stuffing!

RattsSSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:54 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Vote for Eberle on TSN's greatest Canadian WJC player of all time.

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?id=9734
no yanick dube, no credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
Eberle is hands down Canada's greatest World Junior player ever. Not just because of the goals and the points, but the timing of his goals, and what he did for the significance of the World Juniors in Canada.

In terms of national popularity and attention, I dont think any world junior will ever again top 2009 and 2010. Obviously in 2009 it was supposed to be the Tavares show, but in 2010 it was pretty much Jordan Eberle.

I get pumped up every year for the world juniors largely because of the things Eberle did in 2009 and 2010.
i thought toews in the shootout was a pretty boss performance too.

though my favourite WJC memory will always be this guy's bob clarke-ish grin:

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Can't wait to see Eberle play in the Olympics some day. Truly a hero for Canada.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:34 AM
YesYesYall

I guess he's a decent player, but his 18.6% stat for "erection inducing heroics" will probably regress to the average NHLer's 1.5%.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:48 AM
40oz

Can't beleive we made it 44 posts into an Eberle thread before shooting % came up, bravo.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
I guess he's a decent player, but his 18.6% stat for "erection inducing heroics" will probably regress to the average NHLer's 1.5%.
I hope this was sarcasm...

1.5 or 15%?

In 26 games in the AHL this year he has 19 goals.

Those 19 goals were made on just 69 shots for a conversion rate of 27.5%

I laugh whenever people say that he can't sustain that percentage.

He continues to prove people wrong.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:07 AM
jgoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
It's okay to recognize a great hockey player even though he's on a team you hate... don't be mad because you don't have him

jgoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:52 AM
SMantzas
Next Star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I hope this was sarcasm...

1.5 or 15%?

In 26 games in the AHL this year he has 19 goals.

Those 19 goals were made on just 69 shots for a conversion rate of 27.5%

I laugh whenever people say that he can't sustain that percentage.

He continues to prove people wrong.
I don't want to derail this thread, but no he can't unless he's the most precise shooter of all time

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, but no he can't unless he's the most precise shooter of all time

And what if he is the most precise? And its not so much about his shot being accurate, its his ridiculous release. He times his backhand shots really well. And he doesn't shoot at the net as much as snipers like Stamkos or even Malkin. Some games he will only have 2 shots but will get a goal. That really helps his shooting %.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
40oz

Anyways...

I remember watching this shootout and I never felt more confident a player would score that when Eberle stepped up. It was never even in question.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote