Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fantasy Football Minnesota Wild hfboards League

Old
07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Fantasy Football Minnesota Wild hfboards League

Alright boys and girl(s?), two weeks from today the National Football League pre-season is going to begin. Six weeks from Wednesday, the regular season is set to begin.

I've posted some questions in our general OT thread and have gotten some decent response, and I assume that quite a few people will be interested in a league if we start one up.

For our new members, this board had a league last season that was mostly a success. I'd guess that maybe half of the league was regularly able to update their rosters and keep up with the rest of the league. However, there were 3-4 guys who either did not keep up with their team, or just quit because of early lack of success. I'm sure we could revive last year's Yahoo league, but I can't remember who was the commissioner and who ran everything.

Because of that, I would personally rather our league size drop down to around 8-10 players rather than 12-14. On one hand, I believe that that would allow only the most dedicated into the league and would also improve everyone's teams. On the other, that eliminates a few board members from being able to play, although we could possibly have more than one league going? On another forum I was in a fantasy hockey league that was ranked in tiers that went from year-to-year, and if we get a lot of interest we could possibly implement something like that and I could elaborate on that idea more in the future.

Last season, we had a draft pretty far out from the regular season and some teams were hurt by that. Namely, mine when I drafted Peyton Manning with my first round pick. Anyone who follows the NFL should be able to guess how that turned out for me

So basically, this thread is to see how much interest this board has in doing another league. I want people who can be dedicated to the league(at least, enough to do weekly roster and lines updates), who are actually interested in the game of football(last year we had a handful of foreign board members, which is awesome, but it seemed to me that 1-2 of them quit simply because they aren't able to watch the game much) and people who are regulars on this board. I'm not constantly on this forum, but I'd like to think that I can recognize most regulars. No offense, but people who aren't on this board regularly can't really be counted on being consistent and could simply take a spot for another interested regular.

If you think you can fall into two or three of those requirements(I use this term loosely), feel free to post!

Answer a few questions though, please:

1. What website would you like to go through? Yahoo, ESPN, NFL.com, etc.?

2. How many people do you think we should run with? 8, 10, 12, 14?

3. When are you open to doing a draft? What days of the week? Any days in the next few weeks that you are NOT able to do it?

4. Any specific rules in the league that you would like to have or not have?

5. Favorite NFL team?

Okay, that's my rant. Let's hope I'm not the only reply.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:31 PM
LordFletcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

3. When are you open to doing a draft? What days of the week? Any days in the next few weeks that you are NOT able to do it?

5. Favorite NFL team?

I would be willing to join and will say I will not flake out. I truly enjoy FF and having bragging rights

I wouldn't care which site we use, would like to use ESPN or Yahoo.

I would be willing to play with any amount of teams, but usually it works best with 10-12

I can do a draft anytime except for August 8-12 unless I could call someone and they load my roster online. I will be at my cabin...

I would say it's best to draft after the 2nd week in preseason if not after the 3rd (once starters stop playing) ...

as for rules, I would say keep it to a traditional league just to make it easy for everyone but again, I am not too picky.

Would love to join. let me know. thanks!

Favorite team is the Vikings. Ugh!

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:

5. Favorite NFL team?
1. Any. Usually do NHL.com

2. Don't care.

3. Don't know. Haven't started school or my new jobs yet.

4. No idea.

5. Vikings, unfortunately.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Would like to play again. ESPN or Yahoo is good. Drafts on a Sunday seem to work best for everyone. I like the Vikings.

Also, I will make sure that I click the draft button when it is on the player I want. STILL kicking myself over last year thinking Calvin Johnson was highlighted and nabbed Hakeem Nicks instead.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:54 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'll play if you use Yahoo but won't if you use ESPN.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Damn, wish I liked American football.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:25 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Returning champion here. I'd prefer yahoo again. Can answer the rest tomorrow when I have a real computer again.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Jilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Damn, wish I liked American football.
lol I feel the same way.

Jilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

I'd be interested in joining.

I like to do drafts as close to week 1 as possible. With how injuries can pile up in the pre-season it always sucks to see the guy you drafted in the first round blow an acl in week 2 of the pre season.

as far as date/time. i can make any time on the weekends work... during the week anything after 5 works.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Piffles

Quote:

5. Favorite NFL team?

I know you're primarily looking for people who have regularly been active here. If its any consolation, I've been lurking for quite a while. I'll throw in my info in case you need an extra person to fill the league.

1. Don't care. I've done Yahoo before with friends, though.

2. Don't care. Previous leagues I've done were ~8 people though.

3. Weekends are tough for me since they're unpredictable. Any weeknight after 5 (CST) I am open.

4. No idea.

5. Vikings. What makes that worse is I'm going to school in Milwaukee. The last three years have been hell- Favre's pick, Packer's Superbowl win, and then the Viking's terrible performance this last year coupled with the Packer's success. Yeah- No fun.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:28 AM
MNman

Quote:

5. Favorite NFL team?

I think I took 3rd last year....and would like the chance to earn a higher position. Not sure if you count me as a "regular poster" or not though.

1. Yahoo is always the best.

2. Don't care too much

3. Right now I'm open a lot of times...crossing fingers I'll be starting a new job in the next month though (shouldn't interfere with evenings/nights though)

4. Last year's settings seemed good. Only thing I can think of is allowing partial points (i.e 19 yards rushing earns 1.9 points instead of just 1.0)

5. Born and bred Vikings fan.....not ashamed to say so either. Love the Kalil draft pick

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:51 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think the full point requirement adds another dimension to scoring, and probably limits the impact of score adjustments. Not a game breaker either way though.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:42 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50

Yahoo please

10-12 Anything over starts to get crazy

Whenever, Autodraft is beautiful

No

5. Favorite NFL team?

Miami Dolphins

00xtremeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I enjoyed it last year but if you want to limit players I'd skip this year.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
MNWILDFAN001

I don't want to join, already play in a league. But do any buy any fantasy football magazines? All I've ever done before is look at projected draft positions. But this year I want to put a little more effort in to it.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDFAN001 View Post
I don't want to join, already play in a league. But do any buy any fantasy football magazines? All I've ever done before is look at projected draft positions. But this year I want to put a little more effort in to it.
I don't buy any magazines, but I just started following a podcast that ESPN puts out called ESPN: Fantasy Focus Football, it's pretty good I think. They talk about a lot of teams and cover a lot of subjects that seem very helpful.

Alright, so I think we need to list everyone interested. At this point, there is a bit less response than I expected so I think we can accept anyone and everyone. And MNman, you played last year so of course you'll be welcomed back with open arms! Jarick, if you want you can definitely play man! We can always make room for mods.

So our list right now of players is(* are questionable guys?)

1. Me
2. LordFletcher
3. Victorious Secret
4. Generic User
5. this providence *
6. Squidz
7. Wild48
8. Piffles *
9. MNman
10. 00xtremeninja
11. Jarick *

So, looks like we could do a decent 12 team league at the moment, but I'll probably wait until thursday or friday before we make a final list, how does that sound to everyone?

At that point we can probably start looking at draft dates as well. Just general opinions here, but weekends or weekdays? Looks like most are available on Sundays, should we start looking at those?

Last edited by FUBAR McDangles: 07-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Piffles

Quote:
So, looks like we could do a decent 12 team league at the moment, but I'll probably wait until thursday or friday before we make a final list, how does that sound to everyone?

At that point we can probably start looking at draft dates as well. Just general opinions here, but weekends or weekdays? Looks like most are available on Sundays, should we start looking at those?
Sounds good. I'm definitely interested but I'd waive my spot if a more "regular" person wants into the league and there are no slots available.

Sundays are good for me.

Piffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I'm just here to take away wins from mods.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Okay at this point we're looking at either a 10 or 12 person league, unless some more people decide to sign up. If we do go to 10, I'd assume that Jarick would be the first person to drop out, just from his original comment. Also might take Squidz off the list because he never came back and answered the questions like he promised. Jerk.

Also, to add to that above podcast I listed(ESPN Fantasy Focus: Football), I found another that is pretty good. CBSsports.com fantasy football podcast. Both are available on iTunes, and ESPN Fantasy is ~45 minutes per episode, and it is very insightful. CBS is a bit longer, usually between an hour and an hour and a half, and is very good as well. Honestly, I highly recommend both even to those of you who consider yourselves experienced fantasy players. Granted, my first time playing was last year, but I think it has helped me a lot

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Old
07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
SupremeNachos

vCash: 916
I would be down for a espn league. what options do you use

SupremeNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 06:59 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Okay at this point we're looking at either a 10 or 12 person league, unless some more people decide to sign up. If we do go to 10, I'd assume that Jarick would be the first person to drop out, just from his original comment. Also might take Squidz off the list because he never came back and answered the questions like he promised. Jerk.
I'm amused that of all the things I've said on the board, that's the one I get called out on.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:30 PM
LordFletcher

sorry I haven't posted here in a while... I am in the process of buying my first home and it's a bit more than I would like to spend so I am struggling on making decision this week but it seems that I will be putting in a very competitive offer this weekend, fingers crossed.

all in for fantasy football.. either espn or Yahoo, any day will work... pick a date for a draft and I am there or online, whichever we do... also, you pick espn or yahoo, it doesnt matter.

thanks

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
I've had a passing interest in fantasy sports for a while now and would actually like to get genuinely interested in football.

Someone hook me up with some kind of informative website or video that would explain how all this fantasy sports stuff works so I can decided if I want to take the plunge and try it this year?

Oh and I guess I might as well answer these questions...

Probably Yahoo because I just hate ESPN.

I dunno, if I jump in how many interested parties does that get this league up to?

Pretty much any time would work, but it sounds like closer to the beginning of the regular season than the pre-season would make more sense. Plus that would give me time to get up to speed with what I need to know.

I have no idea how this works so I am not qualified to answer this question.

5. Favorite NFL team?
The Vikings *whimper* Tore my heart out in 98 and then did it again in 09... even tho that one is actually on the Aints and their bounty program.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm in for Yahoo because I know it but I'd be out for ESPN.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:10 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I've had a passing interest in fantasy sports for a while now and would actually like to get genuinely interested in football.

Someone hook me up with some kind of informative website or video that would explain how all this fantasy sports stuff works so I can decided if I want to take the plunge and try it this year?

Oh and I guess I might as well answer these questions...
I know you mentioned you hate ESPN, but this looks like it could be a good guide on how to play:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/fo...k2k10howtoplay

Disregard what it says about individual players though. I see they highlight Chris Johnson in one of the images/captions. The article is over two years old, so performances listed in that article aren't correct anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm in for Yahoo because I know it but I'd be out for ESPN.
Looks like we're going with Yahoo, based on what everyone has said.

And if Avder does indeed sign on, it looks like we'll roll with 12 teams. That is fine by me.