HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Re-alignment can't come soon enough...

Old
12-14-2012, 02:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Re-alignment can't come soon enough...

After the CBA is signed and delivered, this is the next thing the NHL needs to fix. Dallas in the Pacific? Minnesota in the Northwest? Colorado in the Northwest? Winnipeg in the Southeast? Anyone know if they are actually discussing this along side talks with the CBA?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:37 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Agree a change needs to come..

I would love the return to the 4 division/conference alignment they proposed last yr... i don't care about the 7/8 discrepency...

Fixes sooo many problems and would be a boost for revenues of many clubs..
Return of passionate hate and creation of some great rivalries...

Pros would outweigh the cons big time....
And once 2 more teams are added.. forget about it... no brainer awesome move.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:46 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

East would probably hate it more than the West. But they can suck it. West is so spread out.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:10 AM
RDRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
East would probably hate it more than the West. But they can suck it. West is so spread out.
My sentiments exactly.

RDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Increase season to 86 games (what's another 4 games? big whoop)

2 conferences, no divisions

4 x 14 in your own conference = 56
2 x 15 against other conference = 30

Swap Winnipeg with Columbus. No need for funky divisions. Straight up East and West.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

I really liked the NHL's proposed realignment.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:50 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

Swap Winnipeg with Columbus. No need for funky divisions. Straight up East and West.
I like that idea. Keeps all the rivalries intact too

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:17 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

You're not going to have a schedule where the Devils-Isles-Rangers only play four times in a season, or the California teams only play four times, or Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton. Or Montreal-Boston.

I suspect the schedule would be something like this format with the NHL's proposed 'conferences'...the teams in the 7-team conferences get six games with each other (36 games) and a home-and-home with every other team (23 teams = 46), voila 82 games. With the 8-team conferences it'd be a home-and-home with every other team (22 teams = 44), and 38 games against the 7 other teams in your conference - six against three teams, five against four.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:03 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Agree a change needs to come..

I would love the return to the 4 division/conference alignment they proposed last yr... i don't care about the 7/8 discrepency...

Fixes sooo many problems and would be a boost for revenues of many clubs..
Return of passionate hate and creation of some great rivalries...

Pros would outweigh the cons big time....
And once 2 more teams are added.. forget about it... no brainer awesome move.
Me too. Thought it was a great idea. Since the East coast teams have a lot less travel, put the 2 eastern conference with 8 teams. Also loved the idea of re-seeding for the semi-finals.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:17 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
To balance that statement... I really hated the NHL's proposed realignment.

To anyone watching, this is the 3rd realignment thread to show it's head in the last 3 days. Any chance they could be merged?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:20 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:

An absolute maximum has to be 84. I know 86 is only 2 more, but already the Season is too long. Something between 56 and 84... The maximum possible number of games that a team can play in the Playoffs is 28... 56 is twice that, 84 is 3 times that. Anything more is beyond excessive.

Old
12-14-2012, 08:21 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:

You say big whoop? -The NHL was at 84 games and they thought it was too much and lowered it. Did you forget?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:28 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
After the CBA is signed and delivered, this is the next thing the NHL needs to fix. Dallas in the Pacific? Minnesota in the Northwest? Colorado in the Northwest? Winnipeg in the Southeast? Anyone know if they are actually discussing this along side talks with the CBA?
You know, Min, Peg and Dal are all in the central. In fact, it's about an hour and a half flight from DFW to Minneapolis (opposed to 3hr flights to Cali). Peg isn't much further. Throw Stl in there and you almost have a division. Maybe finish it with Colorado. Problem solved.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:30 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
you say big whoop? -the nhl was at 84 games and they thought it was too much and lowered it. Did you forget?
when?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:36 AM
doaner

If we are adding more regular season games, then we should decrease the preseason injury games. 90+ is way too many!!!

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
Me too.

Realignment is one thing I am looking forward to when/if the league comes back.

Hell, if I had my way, realignment would be even more radical. I would have an "AFC/NFC" type setup, where both conferences have a West, Central, and East division.

Travel be damned! Theyre flying private jets and staying in 5 star hotels anyway, whats a couple extra west coast swings?

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:26 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
You know, Min, Peg and Dal are all in the central. In fact, it's about an hour and a half flight from DFW to Minneapolis (opposed to 3hr flights to Cali). Peg isn't much further. Throw Stl in there and you almost have a division. Maybe finish it with Colorado. Problem solved.
Except that leaves 7 teams west of Colorado. Doesn't work with 5 team divisions.

The entire Western Conference doesn't work, and especially with 5 team divisions. Someone, somewhere, will get screwed, in some way. The only team in the west that might have an issue in the proposed alignment would be Winnipeg, since they would be the only Canadian team in their group(but hey, Winnipeg has a team again, so...). There could be ways to fix that which don't involve messing up too many other things around the league, but trying to get teams in the East to give up their travel and time zone advantage is like pulling teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
when?
92-93, and 93-94

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
You're not going to have a schedule where the Devils-Isles-Rangers only play four times in a season, or the California teams only play four times, or Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton. Or Montreal-Boston.

I suspect the schedule would be something like this format with the NHL's proposed 'conferences'...the teams in the 7-team conferences get six games with each other (36 games) and a home-and-home with every other team (23 teams = 46), voila 82 games. With the 8-team conferences it'd be a home-and-home with every other team (22 teams = 44), and 38 games against the 7 other teams in your conference - six against three teams, five against four.
Yeah, only 4 games against established rivals wouldnt work

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:30 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
when?
I believe it was for 1992-93 and 1993-94. It came in as part of the settlement for the 1992 strike and went out with the 1994-1995 lockout. The two extra games per team were neutral site games in places like Hamilton, Milwaukee, and Saskatoon.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
If we have this current 6 division/2 conferences system, I would swap Nashville with Winnipeg. Nashville is the nearest to go to Southeast. It's almost where Atlanta was. Just a differenct time zone, but 1h difference shouldn't make big problems.

Then Dallas is pretty easy to put back in Central, Colorado to Pacific and Winnipeg to the Northwest.

Northwest:
------------
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Minnesota (Seattle at 2014/2015)

Pacific:
---------
San Jose
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix
Colorado

Central:
---------
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Dallas
Columbus

Southeast:
------------
Washington
Tampa Bay
Florida
Carolina
Nashville

If Seattle ever comes, it completes the NorthWest division and pushes Minnesota somewhere to East that fits better for them.

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice...h-america/nhl/

Last edited by Henkka: 12-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:41 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Hell, if I had my way, realignment would be even more radical. I would have an "AFC/NFC" type setup, where both conferences have a West, Central, and East division.
It would be interesting to see how they would end up doing it, but I'm not sure it works in the NHL, for two reasons.

One, the NFL, and even MLB, can do that because two leagues merged together, and each league had teams spread out across the country. Two, the NFL plays mostly one day a week, on the weekend, in the afternoon. And again, even MLB plays a series of 3 games, so the travel isn't as crazy as it could be for them. And baseball still has a division that spans 3 time zones, but they're helping out Texas a little with realignment.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post

92-93, and 93-94
Holy Crap; never realized that, and to my knowledge, heartsabres was the first to ever mention that here.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:50 AM
JuniorNelson

It's obviously too advanced for the great minds of the NHL, but how about a balanced travel schedule? We have thinking machines that could cipher it out ,nowadays.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:58 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Ha ha, the NHL getting their house in order, good one ha ha.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Holy Crap; never realized that, and to my knowledge, heartsabres was the first to ever mention that here.
Well 84 games was before the hockey world knew the word lockout existed. A very different world, and a long time ago.

I had to look it up for the exact year, but I sort of remembered it happening. The league actually went from 80 to 84 games, before going to the 82 we know and love today. I hadn't really noticed it, even though I've looked at standings over the years to see what the alignments have been before, but the NHL was at 80 games since the mid 70's, when there were only 18 teams.

I know why it wouldn't happen, but it seems like instead of making the schedule fit a certain amount of games, they should make a schedule that makes sense, whatever the number of games.

Like the way the league is today, 79 games would make sense. Except they have those extra 3 games they can't get rid of, so you just play 3 random teams from the other conference. It's just like the alignment issue. They have a certain setup, and so Dallas ends up being forced into the Pacific.