HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Re-alignment can't come soon enough...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
  #26
INDhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
If they want to go geographically and keep the same system it would be the easiest to just move Nashville to the southeast, Minnesota to the central and Winnipeg to the Northwest.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:19 AM
  #27
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Wouldn't at all surprise me if we get expansion soon, get to 32 teams and see an NFL style 2 conferences, 4 divisions and 4 teams in each division.

Division winners get home ice in the first round of the playoffs and the next 4 best teams in the conference make the playoffs.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
  #28
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
If they want to go geographically and keep the same system it would be the easiest to just move Nashville to the southeast, Minnesota to the central and Winnipeg to the Northwest.
That makes the most sense, but when you have Detroit/Columbus wanting to move East, logic blows out the window.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:34 AM
  #29
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,869
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
That makes the most sense, but when you have Detroit/Columbus wanting to move East, logic blows out the window.
They have that time zone excuse which is a pretty good excuse.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
  #30
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Well 84 games was before the hockey world knew the word lockout existed. A very different world, and a long time ago.

I had to look it up for the exact year, but I sort of remembered it happening. The league actually went from 80 to 84 games, before going to the 82 we know and love today. I hadn't really noticed it, even though I've looked at standings over the years to see what the alignments have been before, but the NHL was at 80 games since the mid 70's, when there were only 18 teams.

I know why it wouldn't happen, but it seems like instead of making the schedule fit a certain amount of games, they should make a schedule that makes sense, whatever the number of games.

Like the way the league is today, 79 games would make sense. Except they have those extra 3 games they can't get rid of, so you just play 3 random teams from the other conference. It's just like the alignment issue. They have a certain setup, and so Dallas ends up being forced into the Pacific.
An 84-game Season would work well with a balanced two Conference setup. Put two eastern and one western Division in both Conferences; every team plays their Division opponents 6 times, their Conference opponents 4 times and their other Conference geographically matched Division 2 times; the other two other Conference Divisions they play just the 1 time per Season.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:46 AM
  #31
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
They have that time zone excuse which is a pretty good excuse.
If you can't have all the ETZ teams in the East, then put a complete ETZ Division in the "West". A few CTZ teams in the East shouldn't hurt the psyche of the eastern teams too much.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:40 AM
  #32
Stansfield*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Although it might not be completely practical from a travel/geographical standpoint, I'd like to see:

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Florida
Tampa Bay

Norris
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Toronto

Patrick
Carolina
Nashville
New Jersey
NYI
NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Winnipeg

If Phoenix ends up in QC it moves to the Adams, if it ends up in KC the Norris.

Florida and Tampa should really be in the same division as Nashville and Carolina, but I'd hate to break up what is the current Atlantic Div. + Washington and the Adams Div. has little travel otherwise.

Winnipeg is obviously closer to the Norris teams than Colorado is, but from a rivalry stand point, it belongs with Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
  #33
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Increase season to 86 games (what's another 4 games? big whoop)

2 conferences, no divisions

4 x 14 in your own conference = 56
2 x 15 against other conference = 30

Swap Winnipeg with Columbus. No need for funky divisions. Straight up East and West.
No way, not enough games with close rivals. I wouldn't want the Leafs to only see Ottawa or Montreal 4 times. Although less games against Boston would be good for us.

Leo Trollmarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:54 PM
  #34
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,061
vCash: 500
So long as Winnipeg doesn't end up with EDM/CGY, I'm happy. WPG, MIN, CHI, STL belong together, the "mid-west teams".

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
  #35
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Holy Crap; never realized that, and to my knowledge, heartsabres was the first to ever mention that here.
I'm sure it's been talked about. I thought that was common knowledge for this forum, considering 92-93 especially is remembered very fondly around here.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
  #36
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,199
vCash: 500
You have to understand of course that realignment is a can of worms and no plan will make all 30 teams happy.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:45 PM
  #37
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
Although it might not be completely practical from a travel/geographical standpoint, I'd like to see:

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Florida
Tampa Bay

Norris
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Toronto

Patrick
Carolina
Nashville
New Jersey
NYI
NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Winnipeg

If Phoenix ends up in QC it moves to the Adams, if it ends up in KC the Norris.

Florida and Tampa should really be in the same division as Nashville and Carolina, but I'd hate to break up what is the current Atlantic Div. + Washington and the Adams Div. has little travel otherwise.

Winnipeg is obviously closer to the Norris teams than Colorado is, but from a rivalry stand point, it belongs with Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
I can't count the ways, that this is horrible for us.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  #38
Stansfield*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I can't count the ways, that this is horrible for us.
As a Leafs fan, I preferred when we were in the Norris rather than the North-East. I especially miss the Detroit rivalry.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:56 PM
  #39
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I'm sure it's been talked about. I thought that was common knowledge for this forum, considering 92-93 especially is remembered very fondly around here.
Took me a moment... 93, for me, not special at all.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
  #40
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,456
vCash: 500
I really didn't like the way the original proposal for the realignment looked, but a few changes should be made. Winnipeg should not be in the southeast still. That's a lot of travel for the Florida teams, Carolina, and DC. Maybe move Winnipeg to the West, and Nashville or Columbus to the East. Columbus shouldn't be in the southeast division though either, but Nashville could be. You'd probably still have to juggle some teams around to other divisions so I'm not sure really.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
  #41
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 32,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Holy Crap; never realized that, and to my knowledge, heartsabres was the first to ever mention that here.
You really should visit the history board more often, MO

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
  #42
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I can't count the ways, that this is horrible for us.
Horrible?

Ok, it may not be the best, but horrible? There are plenty of other teams in the League which have "horrible" alignments compared to that alignment for the Leafs.

Will say this though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
I'd like to see:

Adams
Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Montreal
Ottawa
Florida
Tampa Bay

Norris
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
St. Louis
Toronto

Patrick
Carolina
Nashville
New Jersey
NYI
NYR
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Smythe
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver
Winnipeg
Colorado shouldn't be in that Division. If Toronto in put in that Division, then there's zero reason why Winnipeg should be in the far west. Therefore, flip Colorado and Winnipeg.

Also, the stupidness, sorry but that's what it is, of putting the Florida teams in with the Canadian teams... But to change that up then means throwing out much of that realignment idea, Stansfield. Go back to the drawing board!

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
  #43
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You really should visit the history board more often, MO
As I alluded to above... I'd prefer to not remember 93, and treat it as a glitch in NHL history. Also 94 ended on a sour note as well. Over a 5-year period, 1990 - 1994, my 3 most hated teams all won the Cup.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:21 PM
  #44
Stansfield*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Horrible?

Ok, it may not be the best, but horrible? There are plenty of other teams in the League which have "horrible" alignments compared to that alignment for the Leafs.

Will say this though...


Colorado shouldn't be in that Division. If Toronto in put in that Division, then there's zero reason why Winnipeg should be in the far west. Therefore, flip Colorado and Winnipeg.

Also, the stupidness, sorry but that's what it is, of putting the Florida teams in with the Canadian teams... But to change that up then means throwing out much of that realignment idea, Stansfield. Go back to the drawing board!
Yeah, I understand much of this is not feasible and it's largely rivalry-based.

The Florida teams in the North-East was in the NHL approved Realighnment BTW
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:25 PM
  #45
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
No way, not enough games with close rivals. I wouldn't want the Leafs to only see Ottawa or Montreal 4 times. Although less games against Boston would be good for us.
I always wondered why the NHL kept that retarded scheduale...people actually like it.

Its so boring spending what seems like over 50% of an NHL season playing the same 4 teams over and over and over again.

I dont even get to have a home and home with every team in the league. Oh boy Crosby and Ovechkin came to rexall in 2011 now all I have to do is wait till 2013 to see them again. Oh well At least I can see a divisional game every 2nd night...who cares about the leagues stars or eastern teams. I have no interest in seeing Tavares or Stamkos live anyways

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:38 PM
  #46
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
The Florida teams in the North-East was in the NHL approved Realighnment BTW
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065
Don't remind me. In fact, shhhh!

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:42 PM
  #47
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Country: England
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
No playoffs, No playoffs, No playoffs. The Stanley Cup is a separate competition from the season.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 02:44 PM
  #48
MoreOrr
B4
 
MoreOrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mexico
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I always wondered why the NHL kept that retarded scheduale...people actually like it.

Its so boring spending what seems like over 50% of an NHL season playing the same 4 teams over and over and over again.

I dont even get to have a home and home with every team in the league. Oh boy Crosby and Ovechkin came to rexall in 2011 now all I have to do is wait till 2013 to see them again. Oh well At least I can see a divisional game every 2nd night...who cares about the leagues stars or eastern teams. I have no interest in seeing Tavares or Stamkos live anyways
You think 6 games against Division opponents is retarded (which I don't by the way), remember what it was a few years ago... 8 games against Division opponents... Now that was retarded!

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:22 PM
  #49
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,105
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Holy Crap; never realized that, and to my knowledge, heartsabres was the first to ever mention that here.
I believe it was when each team was playing 2 neutral site games each year. The owners didn't want to give up any home games so they added 2 additional games per team into the schedule.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:36 PM
  #50
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
You think 6 games against Division opponents is retarded (which I don't by the way), remember what it was a few years ago... 8 games against Division opponents... Now that was retarded!
Dont remind me of 8 games. I thought I had forgotten that horror

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.