*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Okay, I know the season hasn't even been over a day, but it's alrerady time to look ahead to next year and what could be a memorial Cup contending team with a few of the right moves...not many teams are built for 12/13.

Below I will List who will be back, by position, then I will list who we are losing as well as potential losses and our OA Pool to choose from. Keep in mind that we have the 45th and 105th picks in the Import draft. Will probably have two spots to fill so expect trades.

Returning Forwards:

Brendan Bell -94
Josh MacDonald -94
Anthony Camara -93
Erik Bradford -L94
Mark Scheifele -93
Dylan Smoskowitz -93
Zach Hall -93

Returning Called-up Forwards:

Cody Brown -93
Mitchell Klie -95

Retruning Defencemen:

Jonny Laser -94
Alex Lepkowski -93
Aaron Ekblad -96
Alex Yuill -95

Returning Called-Up Defenxeman:

Nick Izgerean -94

Returning Goaltenders:

Alex Fotinos -95
Lee Mariana -93

Eligible Over Age Options:

Forwards:
Steven Beyers
Tanner Pearson
Ivan Telegin
Gregg Sutch

Defencemen:
Ryan O'Connor
Chris Buonomo
Reid McNeill
Derek Hartwick

Goaltender:
Mathias Niederberger

Thanks for Everything:
Colin Behenna
Norm Ezekiel
Dan Erlich

Now for the fun part!

Who is in the system? Who could we pop into this lineup to replace the players that we are losing? below are a few options!

Forward:
Ray Huether -94 GOJHL Stratford Cullitons 47GP 39G 68P http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C.../?hub=SWOSport

Justin Scott -95 OJHL Burliongton Cougars 47GP 14G 35P

Zach Pryzbek -94 Salisbury Prep. NO STATS AVAIL

Cash Seraphim -95 GOJHL Elmira Sugar Kings 45GP 5G 15P 56PIM

Nick Santoro -95 Avon Old Farms HS (has since left the school at season's end and came home--Good sign)

Jack Hidi -95 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGnl1rq9_4w Upper Canada College 43GP 21G 41P

Defence:
Jayme Forslund -95 Mississauga Reps Major Midget (GTHL doesn't keep stats)

Cooper Richards -94 OJHL Burlington Cougars 43GP 19G 40P 50PIM

Jacob McGhee -95 GOJHL Leamington 43GP 1G 5P 65PIM

Alex Carlson -94 CCHL Cumberland Grads 49GP 2G 6P 85PIM

Maybe 2013/14?

Kevin Labanc -95 -Notre Dame Verbal and USNTDP for this year again.

Notables:

Chase Rey -94 St Louis amateur blues U18 36GP 21G 43P BUT Tri-City traded for him this season and he is expected to suit up for Tri City in the USHL next year. Could be a huge addition to the Colts and has no NCAA commitment.

beauty celly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4lE0QGwbY

Davin Shore -94 Will be a top 4 round draft pick this year and is committed to Maine we had a chance at him this past summer but that failed and I suspect Devin will be at Maine in the fall.

This years draft picks!

1 16 Barrie Colts Brendan Perlini
Detroit Belle Tire U16's LW 6'0 165 04/30/1996

3 5 Barrie Colts CJ Garcia
Don Mills Flyers LD 6'0 170 02/03/1996

4 6 Barrie Colts Brendan Lemieux
Toronto Red Wings LW 6'0 180 03/15/1996

5 9 Barrie Colts Cordell James
Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs LW 6'1 171 06/14/1996

5 13 Barrie Colts Mackenzie Blackwood
Thunder Bay Kings G 6' 0 165 12/09/1996

6 2 Barrie Colts Matthew McLeod
North York Rangers RC 6'0 160 10/22/1996

7 19 Barrie Colts Josh Carrick
Markham Majors LD 5'11 165 01/24/1996

8 9 Barrie Colts Cray Roberge
Barrie Colts LC 6'2 185 03/26/1996

9 19 Barrie Colts Adam Wammes
Lambton Jr. Sting LD 6'0 202 03/29/1996

10 15 Barrie Colts Zach Main
Southern Tier LW 5'9 150 03/07/1996

11 15 Barrie Colts Marcel Fatovic
Oakville RD 5'10 165 01/19/1996

12 15 Barrie Colts Jack Campbell
North Central Predators LD 5'11 182 01/03/1996

12 20 Barrie Colts Roy Radke
Culver U16's RW 6'0 160 12/10/1996

13 15 Barrie Colts Hunter Tyczynski
Lambton Jr. Sting RC 5'11 170 04/26/1996

14 15 Barrie Colts Connor Ryckman
York Simcoe Express G 5'6 130 09/18/1996

15 15 Barrie Colts Ben Skuce
Barrie Colts RW 5'11 160 02/04/1996

Of the kids that were drafted, I expect Perlini and Garcia to sign and play this coming season as well as possibly Lemieux if (not likely at all) they can convince him to go OHL route. Cordell James has an outside shot at making it but I highly doubt it.

Perlini has such a high ceiling that I believe many NHL scouts will be at the BMC in 13/14 to scout him! The sky is the limit. With Garcia you get a smart, skilled, puck moving D-man.

That's kind of what we are looking at as far as next year goes, Colts fans. If I have missed anything anyone else wants included, post below and I will edit accordingly.

CURRENT LINES/Depth Chart AS OF APRIL 18/12

Pearson/Beyers - scheifele (imo will be back) -Camara
MacDonald - Hall - Huether
Bell - Bradford - Scott
Klie - Smoskowitz - Perlini
Santoro - Hidi

1 of Buonomo/McNeill/O'connor - Ekblad
1 ofBuonomo/McNeill/O'connor - Lepkowski
Yuill - Laser
Richards

Fotinos
Mariani

So, with this in mind, we also have the Import draft, OA's to trade and camps to see who has improved and who hasn't....have fun discussing!

There are spots to be won! It should be competetive! We may even see a player or two who were here this past year, bumped out! gotta like the way Bell/Bradford/MacDonald came along at the end! This team will win a lot of games next season!

Last edited by Racer14: 04-18-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old
04-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Let's get the OA discussion going! Who will be back?!

I say OC/Buonomo on D and Beyers up front. I really believe Pears is ready for the next level. McNEill and sutch will be in the A I would think.

Old
04-18-2012, 06:05 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
For OA's I would like Pearson,Buonomo and McNeil if he is not in the AHL. I can't see Pearson in the AHL or NHL unless he is drafted by the Leafs or a low attendance team that needs him to sell tickets.

I think Huether and Perlini will help the loss of Behenna, Telegin and possibly Scheifele(I think he will be back). Also late in the season we saw great improvements with Bell, MacDonald and Bradford.This Should be another top team again next year with some pieces added in via trade and lets start another 15 year playoff streak for 2012-13.
Also do the colts have a spring rookie camp?

Old
04-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
For OA's I would like Pearson,Buonomo and McNeil if he is not in the AHL. I can't see Pearson in the AHL or NHL unless he is drafted by the Leafs or a low attendance team that needs him to sell tickets.

I think Huether and Perlini will help the loss of Behenna, Telegin and possibly Scheifele(I think he will be back). Also late in the season we saw great improvements with Bell, MacDonald and Bradford.This Should be another top team again next year with some pieces added in via trade and lets start another 15 year playoff streak for 2012-13.
Also do the colts have a spring rookie camp?
yes, will probably be mid-to-late may.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
DEVSTER

Now that scheifele is in the ahl is he gone from barrie for ever or does he have a chance of coming back

Old
04-21-2012, 01:48 PM
DEVSTER

also, i have been hearing that the colts could hav a better team next year as apossed to the team this yaer, my question is how? we loose behenna, probably scheifele AND TELEGIN AND WE LOOSE SO MANY 92's besides 3. How can tings be better.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:28 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVSTER View Post
also, i have been hearing that the colts could hav a better team next year as apossed to the team this yaer, my question is how? we loose behenna, probably scheifele AND TELEGIN AND WE LOOSE SO MANY 92's besides 3. How can tings be better.
Scheifele either has to make the Jets, or he has to be sent back to the OHL next season (this season he can play in the AHL playoffs because the OHL season is complete). That being the case, I think it's more likely that he returns rather than Telegin, who is AHL eligible. I expect the team will be better because of the growth of the young players. Huge contributions from 95/6s this year.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:36 PM
DEVSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Scheifele either has to make the Jets, or he has to be sent back to the OHL next season (this season he can play in the AHL playoffs because the OHL season is complete). That being the case, I think it's more likely that he returns rather than Telegin, who is AHL eligible. I expect the team will be better because of the growth of the young players. Huge contributions from 95/6s this year.
Ok im feeling better about whats going on now thanx

Old
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
krazy kanuck

I'll take a shot at next year's lineup. Pretty similar to Racers, with a few exceptions :

Camara - Scheifele - Beyers
MacDonald - Hall - Huether
Lemieux - Bradford - Perlini
Bell - Smoskowitz - Scott

Lepkowski - Ekblad
Laser - O'Connor
Yuill - Buonomo
Garcia

Fotinos
Mariani

I also think Scheifele will be back. He'd have to make the Jets, and I'm not sure why they would rush him. I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Lemieux will come. I know what his public comments are but Scheifele said the same things. Hawerchuk does seem to have a bit of the Rychel charm. I think Pearson depends on who drafts him. I also think he's ready for the AHL, but the injury could mean he drops in the draft and subsequently ends up in a deeper organization...if that happens he could definitely be back. What a boost that would be. Regardless, even in the worst case scenario a top line of Camara - Hall - Beyers is pretty impressive.

The defence should be a strength. I doubt we'll see McNeill, so that likely means that Lepkowski plays with Ekblad. I prefer Yuill, but Hawerchuk seems to have been reluctant to do that. I think Garcia is our 7th. More will be known after rookie camp...

Old
04-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Before I comment on a few things regarding what was said above, I have done a little bit of digging and there is a VERY good possibility we could add two top 6 forwards for next season. The Colts are trying to convince Kevin Labanc to leave the NTDP and join the team for next season. Labanc is one of the top kids for the age group in the US and would be a huge coup. The other forward is devin shore, easily the best junior-aged player playing in Ontario, but not in the O this year. Now, devin does have full intentions of heading to Maine, but there are quite a few NHL teams that have indicated that should they draft shore, they want him in the O with Barrie and Devin is aware of this and seems fine with it.

Also, Mathias Niederberger will be back, look for him to be the 4th OA. we will start the year with 4 and then I would expect him to be dealt to make way for Fotinos. I think he will be more of an insurance policy at that point.

Now with what was asked above by the Devster.

This team COULD be better....They SHOULD be better. A dominant, 20 goal scoring ekblad....a big time puck moving D in yuill are ready for bigger roles. Makes the d very impressive.

The forward group looks like it will be just fine with the way Mac and Brads stepped up, but I also, personally, expect one or both of the guys I mentioned here in sept and they will help with any other needs, not to mention ray huether who could be an instant 30 goal guy. Line combos will be interesting.

If both Pearson and Scheifele return, and we get those two kids I mentioned above, we will be better and could/should make a Memorial Cup run this upcoming season.

I also want to highlight a few kids that I briefly mentioned earlier and then put in the lineup:

Nick santoro is an elite, big potential forward. Played prep school this year in the New england area. I talked to him this past week, he will be at the rookie camp and wants to make this team, badly.

Cooper Richards had a HUGE year last year in Junior A with the Burlington Cougars....put up impressive points as a rookie on the back end with 14 and then exploded for 40 this year as a sophomore and showed that he could run the PP...he could be a fantastic offensive addition to this team's backend, especially if garcia isn't ready to make the jump. richards is the classic late bloomer and should be in the O next year...he is ready if u asked me. Being a 94 it is probably his last chance...

Last edited by Racer14: 04-22-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
So it looks like worst case we are a 5th place in the east team and if all the pieces fall into place we could be big Memorial cup contenders.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
So it looks like worst case we are a 5th place in the east team and if all the pieces fall into place we could be big Memorial cup contenders.
I agree with this assertion BUT if we are a top team in the league...NO TRADING THE KIDS.

Half the time the big moves don't pan out anyways...London hasn't missed a step with McKegg out and Sarnia didnt do anything but destroy the team for the next 2 years...it isn't worth it...

I like what fordo did this year! picks for players with Playoff success and hockey trades...we had 3 tendies and no grit...turned that into 2 tendies and now some grit!

Last edited by Racer14: 04-22-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Wiley Old Vet

Sounds interesting with the incoming talent. I am not sure how they replace Telegin no matter who they bring in but if they can get 2 scoring lines and keep Neiderberger to start the season they should be exciting.
FYI Cooper Richards switched to forward this year. Thats why the huge increase in points.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:28 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley Old Vet View Post
Sounds interesting with the incoming talent. I am not sure how they replace Telegin no matter who they bring in but if they can get 2 scoring lines and keep Neiderberger to start the season they should be exciting.
FYI Cooper Richards switched to forward this year. Thats why the huge increase in points.
Think Moneyball.. You don't replace him with one guy, but make several incremental upgrades. Many of the current players should progress. The 94s made improvements and that should continue this year. Truthfully the biggest loss is Behenna, not only because of his production but because of his leadership. He was the last player of any significance from the 08/09 juggernaught...and he scored goals this season when we needed them most. It seems like that baton has been passed to Scheifele...but it's still a loss.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:32 AM
krazy kanuck

Also we are forgetting there is the import draft and there is likely going to be at least one potential OA to return that we won't have room for and will be moved for other assets...

Old
04-22-2012, 09:38 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
Let's get the OA discussion going! Who will be back?!

I say OC/Buonomo on D and Beyers up front. I really believe Pears is ready for the next level. McNEill and sutch will be in the A I would think.
This makes sense to me. If Pearson come back there is a tough choice on D. One of Buonomo or O'Connor would have to go. Presumably Hartwick gets moved. Niederberger at the deadline, or as soon as the Colts are confident in Fotinos. Anybody else who returns probably gets dealt when they return from camp...

Old
04-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley Old Vet View Post
he did? I went down in Nov to specifically watch him and he played on the back end....maybe they had an injury....I've been outfoxed....lol

Old
04-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
This makes sense to me. If Pearson come back there is a tough choice on D. One of Buonomo or O'Connor would have to go. Presumably Hartwick gets moved. Niederberger at the deadline, or as soon as the Colts are confident in Fotinos. Anybody else who returns probably gets dealt when they return from camp...
you would keep Beyers and move a D? we aren't overly deep back there even with those two guys....

Old
04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
you would keep Beyers and move a D? we aren't overly deep back there even with those two guys....
Remember, this is Hawerchuk...would he ever trade Beyers? That aside, I guess it depends on what happens with Huether, Lemieux, Shore etc. The help up front could be welcome, and Beyers plays the point on the PP. I am one of those guys who likes to see D play on their proper side. Both Buonomo and O'Connor play the same side as Ekblad, who should get 30 minutes a night next year. Only so many minutes...

Old
04-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

very fair points. I really have no rebuttle....who do you see of those two D, moving on if you have to ship one out of town?

Old
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
very fair points. I really have no rebuttle....who do you see of those two D, moving on if you have to ship one out of town?
That's a really tough one because they bring such different skills to the table. I have a gut feeling that Hawerchuk didn't trust O'Connor defensively, and Buonomo was an Alternate Captain. Also puck moving defencmen typically get more on the trade market than defensive ones. So I guess if I were going to bet on it, I'd say Buonomo stays and O'Connor gets dealt.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Adding another quality D would probably be great but there are only so many of those guys out there after all. Just how much do you give up for one?

Old
04-22-2012, 09:36 PM
JSavoire

Looking over the OA situation and the fact that as far as I'm concerned your Goaltending is the #1 position on any team I'd guess Dale keeps Nieds and unless Fotinos really steps up he won't put a rookie goalie in such a stressful situation as to literally take over for a guy 3 years older. I know Dale well enough to hazard a guess that he might instead split more games between Nieds and Fotinos effectively making a 1a and 1b goaltending situation. That would be an effective insurance marker in an important year.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Adding another quality D would probably be great but there are only so many of those guys out there after all. Just how much do you give up for one?
I think that was Racer's point. If you have the option of keeping Buonomo, O'Connor and Pearson rather than Buonomo or O'Connor along with Pearson and Beyers, why note keep the extra D man? My point was that Hawerchuk has a soft spot for Beyers, and Buonomo, O'Connor and Ekblad all play the same defensive spot. It seems likely that there will only be a total of ~ 25 minutes total per night next season for all right handed defencemen without the initials AE. That's not many for two overagers to share...

Old
04-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
I think that was Racer's point. If you have the option of keeping Buonomo, O'Connor and Pearson rather than Buonomo or O'Connor along with Pearson and Beyers, why note keep the extra D man? My point was that Hawerchuk has a soft spot for Beyers, and Buonomo, O'Connor and Ekblad all play the same defensive spot. It seems likely that there will only be a total of ~ 25 minutes total per night next season for all right handed defencemen without the initials AE. That's not many for two overagers to share...
yes, exactly...I was questioning not having two OA D's on this team, especially with how lean we are back there....what you get in a trade and what you give up to bring an 18 yo in to do the same job is just not worth it.

As far as Fotinos and Nieds go.....Nieds should be back and split the games until one wins the job....it's my belief the team wants Fotinos to win the job...but it's good insurance in case he doesn't.

Closed Thread