HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2013, 11:40 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Dick move by Iafrate IMO.
Really? I have no affiliation to either team and would be indifferent if they took fighting out of the game...but when I saw what Domi did, I thought a face-wash was in order. This was after he had already received an unsportsmanlike penalty for a similar move after the 2nd goal.

In MM this was a kid who used to score 5 goals in a game and skate straight to the bench...straight for the Barry Sanders school of "act like you've done it before and will do it again". Tonight I thought he acted in a very unsportsmanlike, jerk-like manner...

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 04-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old
04-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
the officiating in the OHL is so lousy, it's not even funny! Domi put himself offside by a mile on that empty net goal.
Yeah, if only the referees knew the rules.... oh, wait... they got the call correct. Full control of puck, not offside.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Really? I have no affiliation to either team and would be indifferent if they took fighting out of the game...but when I saw what Domi did, I thought a face-wash was in order. This was after he had already received an unsportsmanlike penalty for a similar move after the 2nd goal.

In MM this was a kid who used to score 5 goals in a game and skate straight to the bench...straight for the Barry Sanders school of "act like you've done it before and will do it again". Tonight I thought he acted in a very unsportsmanlike, jerk-like manner...
Yep. Domi definitely earned that beating.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:26 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I don't know whether to be pissed off that the Rangers came out flat in their biggest game of the year, pissed that Spott had them playing passive hockey all season then threw them under the bus for playing passive hockey, or just sad that we've seen the last of some very, very good players in Kitchener.

Probably a combination of all of it.

Quote:
Dick move by Iafrate IMO.
Domi got exactly what he deserved. You don't celebrate in an opponent's face, especially at the end of a playoff series against a hated rival. He's lucky Iafrate has a bad cut on his wrist, or he might have been really popped.

If he tries to pull that **** in the NHL, he'll be eating through a straw.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:32 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Was Domi's celebration uncalled for??? Sure. Would he get the **** kicked out of him in the NHL if he did it??? Well unless he's got the fighting skills of his father, yep.

All I meant was that Iafrate shouldn't have done that. That kind of crap makes Kitchener look like poor sports. We were on our way out the door last night anyways, whether Domi would have got that last goal or not. So what was the point of Iafrate's little meltdown??? Sure he was pissed off, but what's the point in gooning it up like that?? It won't do anything except give the other team a PP and pour more salt in the wound if they happen to score again while on it.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:08 AM
jjyay

Quote:
Was Domi's celebration uncalled for??? Sure. Would he get the **** kicked out of him in the NHL if he did it??? Well unless he's got the fighting skills of his father, yep.

All I meant was that Iafrate shouldn't have done that. That kind of crap makes Kitchener look like poor sports. We were on our way out the door last night anyways, whether Domi would have got that last goal or not. So what was the point of Iafrate's little meltdown??? Sure he was pissed off, but what's the point in gooning it up like that?? It won't do anything except give the other team a PP and pour more salt in the wound if they happen to score again while on it.
We're talking about the fight at the very end of the game, aren't we? I think part of the reason he felt he could go after Domi was because the game was basically over, another penalty wasn't going to change the outcome.

And I'm in the "Domi got what he deserved" camp, I would have done the same thing had I been in Iafrate's shoes, and Domi must have know it was coming.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:56 AM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
so you're ignoring what Iafrate did afterwards?
I think what Iafrate did afterwards was great. He did it in Spite of Spott's non violent , peace keeping , we'll all be Saints some day style of hockey. Hope he set a trend for next year. Regardless of what anyone thinks about what Domi did Dale Hunter would have been proud of him. Domi gets drafted by a team like the Oilers he's gone after this year.

Old
04-13-2013, 08:56 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Yeah, if only the referees knew the rules.... oh, wait... they got the call correct. Full control of puck, not offside.
looks offside to me, I know it's not the clearest frame shot but what do you think...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg offside.jpg‎ (151.4 KB, 6 views)

Old
04-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
looks offside to me, I know it's not the clearest frame shot but what do you think...

Obviously the linesman was way too far away to see the offside.

btw....I propose we have braille installed on the bluelines to help the linesmen !

Old
04-13-2013, 09:13 AM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Obviously the linesman was way too far away to see the offside.

btw....I propose we have braille installed on the bluelines to help the linesmen !
Funny thing is a lot of these linesmen said they would only make bad calls until they had to wear glasses. Pass the white canes boys.

Last edited by bobber: 04-13-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 09:21 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

We commented a few times last night about bad offside calls and no-calls by the linesmen. Near the end of the game, when the Rangers were in London's zone, I'm positive the puck came out of the zone when Thomson took it at the blue line - no call. They're a little crosseyed...

Old
04-13-2013, 09:31 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
The puck carrier was in control of the puck..when in full control you can drag the puck into the zone with your feet already in the zone. No offside.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:52 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
The puck carrier was in control of the puck..when in full control you can drag the puck into the zone with your feet already in the zone. No offside.
I didn't know that, I though an offside was a simple rule, since I don't know the rule... obviously, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... my appoligies to the lineman

Old
04-13-2013, 10:46 AM
LRon7

Quote:
I didn't know that, I though an offside was a simple rule, since I don't know the rule... obviously, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... my appoligies to the lineman
I watched the game on Sportsnet last night and the no call on Domi's goal was the right call. Control of puck by said puck carrier results in no offside. Domi's face wash priceless.

Old
04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Not only should Iafrate have done that, but the rest of the team should have joined him in kicking the ever loving s**t out of Domi.

What did he think was going to happen? What his daddy was going to come down there and save him?

Old
04-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I don't know whether to be pissed off that the Rangers came out flat in their biggest game of the year, pissed that Spott had them playing passive hockey all season then threw them under the bus for playing passive hockey, or just sad that we've seen the last of some very, very good players in Kitchener.

Probably a combination of all of it.

Domi got exactly what he deserved. You don't celebrate in an opponent's face, especially at the end of a playoff series against a hated rival. He's lucky Iafrate has a bad cut on his wrist, or he might have been really popped.

Spott has to have them playing passive hockey because no one knows whats going to be called or not.The days of good hard hitting hockey are over, any hard hit or hip check is being called head check,boarding, charging, unsportsman like etc.

Coaches and players don't have a clue whats going to be called when.It makes for tenative hockey.Its called social engineering of hockey.

All this concushion stuff and getting checking out of the minor leagues is building to this style of hockey.

You would think hockey had just been invented.Just my opinion as an old time observer.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Sec108

Forgot to throw in good for Iafrate

Old
04-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I don't know whether to be pissed off that the Rangers came out flat in their biggest game of the year,
^^ Isn't that a common theme for a Steve Soft run team from the Rangers to Team Canada....coming up totally flat and uninspired in the teams biggest games of the year???
Somebody should hand SS a fricking mirror to find the cause

Quote:

Why wouldn't Domi or any other player want to do that to the Rangers? They know they really wouldn't be any real payback from a Steve Soft coached or GM'd team and if it mocks the Rangers then so be it.
For me this mocking gesture was nothing compared the the Saginaw game in which Fanelli was headchecked intentionally with no payback from the players on the ice. Later that same game the one player the Rangers have that stood up for his teammates for years Ben Thomson was given a clear head shot and was down on the ice and not 1 fricking Ranger batted an eye. For me, that game spoke volumes for this team and was a precursor for the playoffs.

I really believe SS was deeply affected by seeing Ben Fanelli injured and he doesn't want his team to be responsible for injuring another player. While
in reality this passive approach is setting up a similar injury in the future to a Ranger.

While SS talks about how the players need team depth to create an urgency to keep their jobs, here's hoping that SS will now feel the same sense of urgency
to keep his job and at bare bones to keep an position of authority in a high level of hockey.

When push comes to shove......................run away!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 04-13-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old
04-13-2013, 12:21 PM
bidzey

I'll bet you that Hunter had a little talk with Domi after the facts. After all it's not good sportsmanship on Domi's part.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
bobber

Quote:
^^ Isn't that a common theme for a Steve Soft run team from the Rangers to Team Canada....coming up totally flat and uninspired in the teams biggest games of the year???
Somebody should hand SS a fricking mirror to find the cause

Why wouldn't Domi or any other player want to do that to the Rangers? They know they really wouldn't be any real payback from a Steve Soft coached or GM'd team and if it mocks the Rangers then so be it.
For me this mocking gesture was nothing compared the the Saginaw game in which Fanelli was headchecked intentionally with no payback from the players on the ice. Later that same game the one player the Rangers have that stood up for his teammates for years Ben Thomson was given a clear head shot and was down on the ice and not 1 fricking Ranger batted an eye. For me, that game spoke volumes for this team and was a precursor for the playoffs.

I really believe SS was deeply affected by seeing Ben Fanelli injured and he doesn't want his team to be responsible for injuring another player. While
in reality this passive approach is setting up a similar injury in the future to a Ranger.

While SS talks about how the players need team depth to create an urgency to keep their jobs, here's hoping that SS will now feel the same sense of urgency
to keep his job and at bare bones to keep an position of authority in a high level of hockey.

When push comes to shove......................run away!
Bienkowski said on the radio last night that they are in the entertainment business and they accomplished that for the fans this season. He said you can't win a championship every year but forgot to tell the Knights. He didn't seem to see any issues and said the team will bring another championship to KW soon.

Old
04-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Bienkowski said on the radio last night that they are in the entertainment business and they accomplished that for the fans this season. He said you can't win a championship every year but forgot to tell the Knights. He didn't seem to see any issues and said the team will bring another championship to KW soon.

and did they ask Bienkowski if he found this type of hockey entertaining?

I know I sure as hell don't and never will.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
and did they ask Bienkowski if he found this type of hockey entertaining?

I know I sure as hell don't and never will.
Bingo.

Deboer hockey was entertaining as hell. Spott hockey is a step up from Stan Butler hockey, but it's not a big step.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:45 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Not only should Iafrate have done that, but the rest of the team should have joined him in kicking the ever loving s**t out of Domi.

What did he think was going to happen? What his daddy was going to come down there and save him?
If Domi deserves that after a celebration in an opposing player's face, I 'd be curious to hear what you think Terry Trafford deserves after injuring Matt Finn for the rest of the season on a cheap shot, or knocking Brett Welychka out for 5 games with a headshot.

Posting anonymously on a message board that a team should kick the **** out of a 17 year old. You're an idiot.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Tonester01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
If Domi deserves that after a celebration in an opposing player's face, I 'd be curious to hear what you think Terry Trafford deserves after injuring Matt Finn for the rest of the season on a cheap shot, or knocking Brett Welychka out for 5 games with a headshot.

Posting anonymously on a message board that a team should kick the **** out of a 17 year old. You're an idiot.
I agree 100% with your last comment. Some people never grow up and have questionable IQ's definitely in the 2 digit range.

Old
04-13-2013, 02:02 PM
sbrug

To the Kitchener fans, without taking this the wrong way, why didn't Spott trade for another centreman? I liked the moves he made for Corrado, Leivo, and Puempel. He didn't give up that much IMO. He had all of the tools but I noticed that they were using Rieder or Marcantuoni on the 2nd line center position which is a mistake if you had Memorial Cup aspirations. Rieder's not a natural center and with all due respect Marcantuoni doesn't belong in the top 6 on a contender. Maybe he could have added another d-man too but I don't think it mattered too much.

I had Kitchener pegged to win the Midwest division this year. Spott should have added a Quine type. He had already gone all in.

Closed Thread