HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Poll Results from American and Canadian Hockey Fans

Old
12-13-2012, 11:29 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Poll Results from American and Canadian Hockey Fans

http://www.sys-con.com/node/2483733

The National Hockey League Fans' Association (NHLFA) has released poll results, gathered this week, revealing the feelings of hockey fans on the collective bargaining talks between the National Hockey League (NHL) and the NHL Players Association (NHLPA).

MOD: http://www.nhlfa.com/news/nr12_13_12.asp

Last edited by Fugu: 12-14-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: link problems
cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 12/13/12 -- The National Hockey League Fans' Association (NHLFA) has released poll results, gathered this week, revealing the feelings of hockey fans on the collective bargaining talks between the National Hockey League (NHL) and the NHL Players Association (NHLPA).

The results of the poll have been separated by American and Canadian respondents. Approximately 60% of the 31,000 NHLFA members are American and 40% are Canadian.

When asked: "Do you believe there will be games played this season?", 69% of American fans and 63% Canadian answered "no". Fewer American fans (17%) believe games will be played this season, compared to Canadian fans (26%).

When asked, "which side in the CBA dispute do you believe is being more reasonable during recent negotiations?", 15% of American fans felt the NHL was being more reasonable compared to 30% of Canadian fans. The distinction continued with 39% of American fans believing that the NHLPA was being more reasonable during negotiations, while only 26% of Canadian fans feeling the players' side were more reasonable. Forty percent (40%) of fans from both countries agreed that "neither side" was being reasonable during negotiations.

When asked: "what level of financial support will you provide to the NHL when the games resume?", one in ten respondents on both sides of the border indicated they would spend the same amount of money on NHL-related products and services. The majority of fans (75% in the US and 82% in Canada) said they would spend "less" money on the NHL when it resumes play. Fourteen percent (14%) of American fans and 8% of Canadian fans have not yet decided what their financial support would be when the games commence.

A wide gap exists between fans in the different countries when asked: "On behalf of team owners, how would you rate the quality of leadership (Gary Bettman and Bill Daly) during the labor conflict?" Two thirds (68%) of American fans believe leadership is "poor", while only half (49%) of Canadian fans believe leadership is "poor". One in five (22%) American fans and 37% of Canadian fans felt the leadership was adequate.

A similar question was posed about NHLPA leadership: "On behalf of players, how would you rate the quality of leadership (Don Fehr and Steve Fehr) during the labor conflict?" Half of the fans surveyed in both countries believe NHLPA leadership is "poor" and one third of all fans think leadership is "adequate".

Not surprisingly, 89% of American fans and 79% of Canadian fans feel that the leadership at the NHL is doing a "poor" job on behalf of fans; and, three quarters of all fans feel the NHLPA leadership is providing "poor" leadership on behalf of its customers.

The NHLFA was launched in 1998 to give NHL fans a way to express their views on the game and to influence it for the better. There is no charge for membership and to date more than 31,000 fans have registered via the Association's Web site, www.nhlfa.com. Though not affiliated with the National Hockey League, the NHLFA communicates closely with the League on behalf of hockey fans.

Contacts:
Jim Boone
613-612-9314
boone@nhlfa.com

12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

How'd they get their sample? Who were they polling?

<---- market researcher who knows how critical the "who" is in polls like this.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:57 AM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
What's the NHLFA?
The article says that it was formed in 1998 to give the fans a voice. Apparently 31K people were polled. I never heard of the NHLFA until 2 minutes ago.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
I heard of them last lockout and come to think of it, I might even be one of the 31,000 members, but never heard of this poll.

They were as relevant then as they are now.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
This group should try organizing a fan boycott, and as an american, im not surprised by the lack of knowledge from our country

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:46 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

Yeah, considering the NHLPA is a self-selecting group, its internal polls are meaningless.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq;56509821
When asked: "what level of financial support will you provide to the NHL when the games resume?", one in ten respondents on both sides of the border indicated they would spend the same amount of money on NHL-related products and services. [B
The majority of fans (75% in the US and 82% in Canada) said they would spend "less" money on the NHL when it resumes play.[/B] Fourteen percent (14%) of American fans and 8% of Canadian fans have not yet decided what their financial support would be when the games commence.
This should be the wake up call to both sides.

(FTR/disclosure, I am a "member" of the NHLFA and did vote in the survey.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:30 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tre...ot-being-heard

Boycott of games one for one after Dec 21 when NHL resumes

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Mant*

Why is it always so important that it becomes an American vs Canadian issue? Everyone is so ****ing intent on driving a wedge between the fan base. Crap like this just reinforces that idiocy that only Canadians can appreciate hockey, and that American cities don't deserve to have teams.

Getting really ****ing tired of all the nationalistic ******** plaguing hockey.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Why is it always so important that it becomes an American vs Canadian issue? Everyone is so ****ing intent on driving a wedge between the fan base. Crap like this just reinforces that idiocy that only Canadians can appreciate hockey, and that American cities don't deserve to have teams.

Everyone everywhere should have access to atleast watch any hockey they choose. But the problem is that most money comes from the arenas so you need to get 15-23k people at each arena every game to make it work. For that you need higher concentrations of fans. More than half of canada are atleast playoff hockey fans. the cities,towns and villages become noticably barren when games are on. People race home in terrible weather after work just to watch the games on tv at home or a pub.

This happens in america as well, except only in the northeast and certain regions where its been a part of their culture.

If you want to enjoy this great game like everyone should, get your family, friends, significant others actually interested in the game and if you live in or near a city that has a team. Go to it! And spend spend spend

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 07:04 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Everyone everywhere should have access to atleast watch any hockey they choose. But the problem is that most money comes from the arenas so you need to get 15-23k people at each arena every game to make it work. For that you need higher concentrations of fans. More than half of canada are atleast playoff hockey fans. the cities,towns and villages become noticably barren when games are on. People race home in terrible weather after work just to watch the games on tv at home or a pub.

This happens in america as well, except only in the northeast and certain regions where its been a part of their culture.

If you want to enjoy this great game like everyone should, get your family, friends, significant others actually interested in the game and if you live in or near a city that has a team. Go to it! And spend spend spend
Don't tell Sharks fans about this....Don't think they know they're not supposed to care.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post

Hockey is more culturally important to Canada than it is to the United States.

That's not an insult to Americans, it's just the way it is. In the US, other sports, like baseball, football and basketball, are more deeply culturally embedded than hockey. Up here, hockey is the sport. As a result, there are naturally going to be different considerations when talking about fans in Canada and fans in the US.

I wish Americans would stop assuming it's some kind of insult.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Ari91

I didn't even know such a thing existed

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

Pretty much exactly what I came into the thread to ask. Unless they used some kind of random sampling design the whole enterprise is pointless.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Why does everyone think this is pointless? There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of statistics in here. Sure, this poll cannot be said to represent the general population since it is not a random sample from the general population. But, they don't appear to have ever claimed that. It certainly can be said to accurately represent the members of the NHLFA (if of course the response rate is high enough; they don't seem to provide that), who are hockey fans who are interested enough to have signed up for such a listserv.

I'm not sure why a group with 31,000 members is being shrugged off as meaningless. My experience over the last several years is that they post some fairly interesting survey results, and I haven't exactly seen other groups of this size out there doing member surveys.

12-14-2012, 09:30 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Pretty much exactly what I came into the thread to ask. Unless they used some kind of random sampling design the whole enterprise is pointless.
And how do you accomplish a random sampling when the only people that would care to answer your questions are hockey fans?

If you hired a firm to poll people at random, 90% or higher of the people you would call, would just hang up on you. To me what better way to get the opinion of hockey fans then to directly ask those fans.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
And how do you accomplish a random sampling when the only people that would care to answer your questions are hockey fans?

If you hired a firm to poll people at random, 90% or higher of the people you would call, would just hang up on you. To me what better way to get the opinion of hockey fans then to directly ask those fans.
That's a pretty good nonresponse rate in the world of modern polling.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:28 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
Hockey is more culturally important to Canada than it is to the United States.

That's not an insult to Americans, it's just the way it is. In the US, other sports, like baseball, football and basketball, are more deeply culturally embedded than hockey. Up here, hockey is the sport. As a result, there are naturally going to be different considerations when talking about fans in Canada and fans in the US.

I wish Americans would stop assuming it's some kind of insult.
Yep, by my calculations Game 7 of the 2011 Cup finals drew a 70 rating in Canada (calculating viewing households/total Canadian households) across CBC and RDS. It drew an 8 rating in the US, which made it the best watched NHL game in the US since 1974. The eyeballs were pretty similar because the US is so much bigger than Canada but if people want eyepopping numbers, that's it for me.

I'm American myself but I don't take it as an insult. To me it should be transparently obvious if you've ever been to Canada that hockey is just insanely popular, probably only matched by baseball in the US in the 50s.

I wonder if American hockey fans roll their eyes at Canadians because they don't have a frame of reference for how popular hockey is in Canada. More popular than football today? I don't believe it, nothing can be more popular than football! (The Super Bowl had a 47.8 rating, by the way)

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:38 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
That's a pretty good nonresponse rate in the world of modern polling.
I worked for the US Census (2010 decennial census and some other things); they are the US government's survey takers (they do the unemployment rate, and a whole bunch of other surveys).

While working on a (voluntary) survey, they expected 90%+ response. (But of course, we were often at the folks houses trying to get responses.)

So, depends on who's asking.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I worked for the US Census (2010 decennial census and some other things); they are the US government's survey takers (they do the unemployment rate, and a whole bunch of other surveys).

While working on a (voluntary) survey, they expected 90%+ response. (But of course, we were often at the folks houses trying to get responses.)

So, depends on who's asking.
Yeah, the census is a completely different story compared to any typical horse race/issue-based poll done these days. Response rates on cheap, high-volume daily polling (such what's done by Gallup, Rasmussen, and so on) are routinely under 10%, often closer to the 2-5% range (especially if it's done using robocalling).

Old
12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Interview on CBC radio at 3:10 EST Dec 14

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote