HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

27 dead, including 18 kids, in Connecticut elementary school shooting

Old
12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
tape to tape

vCash: 500
Check this out, the Connecticut State Police want to prosecute anyone on social media that tells a version of events that is counter to what they say at the microphone. Is this a first? Is there something about an alternative version of events that they are concerned about?

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Studying for finals. I don't turn the tv on, and no radio. Just me, and my tax book. Today was the first time I opened my laptop.
As a world class procrastinator, I commend your discipline.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Puckgenius*

Dont forget we are seeing this through pictures and video. This is NOTHING compared to the people who live in Newtown or seen it first hand. I dont know how cops and medics can do their jobs cause they have to see stuff like this in person. Could you imagine being the medic or officer removing the bodies? I know i couldnt do it, i would break down physically and have no strength. If I lived in Newtown i would forsure pay my respects in a church and i would fold.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
OilerNut*

People really need to stop with these knee jerk reactions,
"Kids should have school id passes and the windows should be bullet proof and have security to check bags and doors"

Might as well have military guards at each classroom door armed with AK47s and do a full body search of anyone that enters the school. Would people be happy then?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
People really need to stop with these knee jerk reactions,
"Kids should have school id passes and the windows should be bullet proof and have security to check bags and doors"

Might as well have military guards at each classroom door armed with AK47s and do a full body search of anyone that enters the school. Would people be happy then?
Some schools in cities would benefit from this (but to protect the teachers from some of the kids.) In most communities though this is just another call for big brother to take even more control.

It's like some people in life somehow managed to skip the basics of western literature like 1984, Animal Farm, etc.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:02 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
They're trying to paint the mother as some sort of gun nut survivalist that trained her son, but they just announced that they had no evidence that the guns had even been in use in the last six months leading up to the attack. No shooting range records that take place any time recently.

Family friends said she went shooting with her son as a means to bond with him as a single mother.

/shrug People are really looking for any glimmer of an excuse in all of this.

I think a part of it is also wanting to know what to look for and to be able to say "this is the common thread" for all these people. I remember after the Oregon mall shooter was ID'd reading comments and speaking to others how normal he seemed. While selling off possessions was a bit weird, if he had never shown any acts of anger, would I have believed he was just planning on moving too?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:21 PM
NightBlazer

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Check this out, the Connecticut State Police want to prosecute anyone on social media that tells a version of events that is counter to what they say at the microphone. Is this a first? Is there something about an alternative version of events that they are concerned about?

They're gonna call them crazy and push them on meds. Everyone's talking about gun control, but watch, it's gonna be mental health reform that's at the forefront because of this; which is good news for the pharmaceutical companies and bad news for anyone not wanting to step into a Brave New World.

NightBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post

This has some information on the victims:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/...html?hpt=hp_c2
****, man... I read two of those and I couldn't get through any more of them.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
southpaw24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
saw this during the show, they did a very nice job. And kudos to them for doing it

southpaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Its hard, but ya if thats tough, you definitely dont want to see my tribute video i made.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
My initial reaction was to question humanity. How could someone do this?
What is wrong with society to produce such evil? It can only get worse.

But then stories about the principal and staff began to surface. People died, but heroes were born. My faith in humanity is restored. Because there are ordinary people willing to sacrifice everything to ensure the safety of the innocent. That idea gives me faith. It's influential. It can change lives. We should all focus on the heroic acts of the many, not the evil acts of one.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:33 AM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
It is heart breaking, and no doubt many of those parents have presents wrapped with names on them. I can't imagine how gut wrenching it must be for one of them to pick up one of those presents, see the name on the outside, and then just come completely undone.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post

But then stories about the principal and staff began to surface. People died, but heroes were born. My faith in humanity is restored. Because there are ordinary people willing to sacrifice everything to ensure the safety of the innocent. That idea gives me faith. It's influential. It can change lives. We should all focus on the heroic acts of the many, not the evil acts of one.
Ya we have to keep focusing on the heros and the fact so many kids lives were saved. Many say it would have been a much worse massacre if the shooter didnt hear the sirens coming. He had enough ammo on him to potentially wipe out the entire school and do some even more serious damage.

Read about this 69 year old man who invited 6 of the crying students into his home, after the students told him their teacher is dead, very touching.

http://news.yahoo.com/neighbor-took-...205020443.html

Old
12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post

Well said bro.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:53 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post

This has some information on the victims:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/...html?hpt=hp_c2
Not a child, but this one was really heartbreaking too

Quote:
Rachel D'Avino, 29
She likely didn't know it when she died, but her best friend was about to propose. He had recently asked Rachel's parents for permission, and he was planning to ask for her hand in marriage on Christmas Eve.

That and other details about Rachel's life were described in an obituary posted on the website of Munson-Lovetere Funeral Homes of Connecticut.

"Her presence and tremendous smile brightened any room she entered," it read.
Can't even imagine what I would think if I was the (almost) fiancee.

Last edited by Modo: 12-18-2012 at 05:46 AM.
LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Puckgenius*

Ya that one is rough, but this one however really got to me, I had to step away for a quite a while to get a breather.

Quote:
Jessica also loved orca whales and playing with her two little brothers.

"We are mourning her loss, sharing our beautiful memories we have of her, and trying to help her brother Travis understand why he can't play with his best friend," her family said.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:00 AM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

I just can't get myself to look at any pictures of the kids or read any stories. Just can't do it.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoublues29 View Post
I just can't get myself to look at any pictures of the kids or read any stories. Just can't do it.
want to pay respects by watching my video i made? Its bit easier i find than reading the stuff.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:18 AM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Ya that one is rough, but this one however really got to me, I had to step away for a quite a while to get a breather.
Another one was where a girl wanted a new holiday outfit so her parents bought her one. It was suppose to be for later on(Christmas maybe?) but wanted to wear it sooner, rather then later. She kept on asking and asking and finally, the day of the shooting her Mom gaved in. For me, it's not what was written but reading it and imagining the situation. A girl asks her Mom to wear her new out fit over and over and finally the Mom gives in. She must have been so happy. Probably went to school to show off her new outfit. But then unfortunetly she ended up being one of the victims.

Another that I saw in the paper was when they mentioned one of the girls was looking forward to making a gingerbread house after school. Again, imagining the situation. She must have been thinking about it all day and counting down the hours. Being excited to build a gingerbread house.

On a side note, everyone talks about the young kids and how they were young but even the adults were young. I think the oldest was 56 and to me, that's still young.

Not sure if it was mentioned, one girl survived because she played dead. The Mom said she has survivors guilt because her friends/other parents lost their kids but she didn't.

I also thought it was tougher to watch your video then the pics. They all had such a lovely smile.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:35 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
I think a part of it is also wanting to know what to look for and to be able to say "this is the common thread" for all these people. I remember after the Oregon mall shooter was ID'd reading comments and speaking to others how normal he seemed. While selling off possessions was a bit weird, if he had never shown any acts of anger, would I have believed he was just planning on moving too?
But even then for every one depressed person that goes on a rampage there are thousands if not millions that don't.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Alicat
Charge!

I can't even imagine what the parents are going through to try and tell their other children what happened.

I still vividly remember having to tell my campers that one of the vacation camp counselors was killed. It was the most gut wrenching thing I've ever had to do. The questions and sadness sent shivers down my spine.

I will say that at least the parents can find some some sort of comfort that this monster can't hurt anyone else. Knowing the people who murdered my co-worker/friend are still out there and it is a sick feeling no one should ever have to experience.

The whole thing is gut wrenching.

I am Boston Strong

Last edited by Alicat: 12-18-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Clarity.
Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Not a child, but this one was really heartbreaking too

Can't even imagine what I would think if I was the (almost) fiancee.
Wow. Reading that was hard cause I just asked my girlfriend's parents permission and am asking her on Christmas Eve as well.

Danglesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Read about this 69 year old man who invited 6 of the crying students into his home, after the students told him their teacher is dead, very touching.

http://news.yahoo.com/neighbor-took-...205020443.html
"A couple of hours after the last child left, a knock came on his door. It was a frantic mother who had heard that some children had taken refuge there. She was looking for her little boy.

"Her face looked frozen in terror," Rosen said, breaking down in tears.

"She thought maybe a miracle from God would have the child at my house," he said. Later, "I looked at the casualty list ... and his name was on it."

Heartbreaking

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
"A couple of hours after the last child left, a knock came on his door. It was a frantic mother who had heard that some children had taken refuge there. She was looking for her little boy.

"Her face looked frozen in terror," Rosen said, breaking down in tears.

"She thought maybe a miracle from God would have the child at my house," he said. Later, "I looked at the casualty list ... and his name was on it."

Heartbreaking
I saw him on CNN last night and lost it. I just want to give these people a hug.

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote