HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Trvp Lord

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Nothing surprising. He's the 2nd most versatile D, behind Hamilton.
Truee. He's awesome.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:30 PM
BigD66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Anyone know when the exhibition games are played?
Canada vs. Finland is Thurs at 9:30 am EST (replayed at 7:30 EST)
USA vs. Sweden Thurs at 12:30 pm EST (replayed at 12:00 am EST)

Canada vs. Sweden Saturday at 9:00 am EST (replayed at 7:00 pm EST)
USA vs. Finland is Saturday at 6:00 am EST (replayed at 9:30 pm EST)

Old
12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Would have had to beat out Danault or MacKinnon probably. Really unlikely. Good player who could have made a non-lockout team without his off-ice issues.
I always thought he and Myles Bell could have had a good shot if not for their off-ice issues. Oh well..

Old
12-17-2012, 05:28 PM
umwoz

Seth Griffith making us all scratch our heads wondering why he didn't even get a camp invite.

Also, anyone else think that a Hamilton-Ouellet pairing might be a little better. Keeping a rock like Harrington along side Rielly.
Just a thought, I wouldn't want to limit Hamilton's offensive ability by making him play clean up if Rielly is too aggressive(something that we want out of him, really). On the other hand, Harrington seems like the mirror opposite of Rielly, making him a perfect counterpart.

Note: This is coming from a Jets fan that shakes his head that Noel makes Enstrom play clean up for Byfuglien's over-aggressiveness.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Snippit

Griffith is awesome, but I don't see where he fits in on the final line up. Still, he should have had a camp invite.

He's such a great sniper, but mostly floats all game.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:21 PM
c_robio

Quote:
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters
Only one line change at Canada's practice in Finland today: Danault returns to centre 4th unit w/ MacKinnon at RW & Lipon/Camara at LW
Looks like they're giving Mackinnon a look at RW

Huberdeau-Hopkins-Scheifele
Drouin-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Rattie
Camara-Danault-Mackinnon
Lipon

That 4th line could cause a lot of havoc on the forecheck

Old
12-17-2012, 06:24 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Seth Griffith making us all scratch our heads wondering why he didn't even get a camp invite.

Also, anyone else think that a Hamilton-Ouellet pairing might be a little better. Keeping a rock like Harrington along side Rielly.
Just a thought, I wouldn't want to limit Hamilton's offensive ability by making him play clean up if Rielly is too aggressive(something that we want out of him, really). On the other hand, Harrington seems like the mirror opposite of Rielly, making him a perfect counterpart.

Note: This is coming from a Jets fan that shakes his head that Noel makes Enstrom play clean up for Byfuglien's over-aggressiveness.
IIRC, during the summer Can-Rus challenge, Ouellet and Rielly got paired together and didn't look well, but as soon as Harrington and XO were aired together, they dominated so they didn't want to mess it up. I don't remember who Rielly got paired with during the last game, but I remember not being impressed (as soon as he was pressured from behind, he'd make a "panic" play) so playing with the best D on the team is probably a good thing.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Snippit

You know, as quiet Harrington is offensively for the Knights, he puts up more for Team Canada.

Remember that 4-point game against Denmark last year? And he scored a goal against the Russians in the Summer camp.

Not saying he's going to be an offensive stud, just saying putting up a few points here and there isn't a long shot for him.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:

Just a thought, I wouldn't want to limit Hamilton's offensive ability by making him play clean up if Rielly is too aggressive(something that we want out of him, really).
On the other hand, Harrington seems like the mirror opposite of Rielly, making him a perfect counterpart.

I think chemistry has a lot to do with the pairing. There's no sense in changing a pairing that worked so well in the Can/Rus series in terms of Harrington and Ouellet. Besides, on the international ice, Rielly is way more conservative. He knows how to adapt to the game. I bet he will only rush up if we are in dire need of a goal. You make it sound like he will be recklessly rushing up the ice every time. Rielly won't be too aggressive, He may get caught trying to keep the puck in the zone, but he won't recklessly rush in without one of the forwards covering him. He's way smarter than that.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
PP lines, per Mark Masters ‏
With time Mackinnon will find his way to the second power play unit. It is going to happen.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
IIRC, during the summer Can-Rus challenge, Ouellet and Rielly got paired together and didn't look well, but as soon as Harrington and XO were aired together, they dominated so they didn't want to mess it up. I don't remember who Rielly got paired with during the last game, but I remember not being impressed (as soon as he was pressured from behind, he'd make a "panic" play) so playing with the best D on the team is probably a good thing.
Was that suppose to be a shot at Rielly? I don't think that was warranted. On the big ice Rielly was one of the better dmen and playing with Hamilton will help both of them. Rielly will create space for Hamilton and Hamilton will unload his shot.

Btw Hamilton was who Rielly was paired with in that game, but the fact that you dont remember that, but you remember a specific panic play he did in the final game when the team had 8 dman rotating is peculiar. Plus, from what I remember, Rielly was good enough on international ice to cement his spot on the top pairing before coming to camp but you can ignore all of that if you choose to.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
but I remember not being impressed (as soon as he was pressured from behind, he'd make a "panic" play) so playing with the best D on the team is probably a good thing.
Rielly can and is at times caught out of position trying to create offense for the Warriors as his the heart of they're offense. However Rielly is one of the smartest high iq defenseman, and I don't think I have really seen Rielly make "panic play" as he has the elite skating and iq. That's not too say you are wrong, more so it would be a rare occurrence.

Either way, I kinda agree with pairing Rielly with a stay at home defenseman as we need Hamilton for his offense as well. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see pairings changed after one or two games.

It would also create better balance as well. We'll see.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_robio View Post
Looks like they're giving Mackinnon a look at RW

Huberdeau-Hopkins-Scheifele
Drouin-Strome-Ritchie
Hudon-Jenner-Rattie
Camara-Danault-Mackinnon
Lipon

That 4th line could cause a lot of havoc on the forecheck
Jesus, yes. Hard deciding which of the bolded lines I'd give more offensive zone starts, lol.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Was that suppose to be a shot at Rielly? I don't think that was warranted. On the big ice Rielly was one of the better dmen and playing with Hamilton will help both of them. Rielly will create space for Hamilton and Hamilton will unload his shot.

Btw Hamilton was who Rielly was paired with in that game, but the fact that you dont remember that, but you remember a specific panic play he did in the final game when the team had 8 dman rotating is peculiar. Plus, from what I remember, Rielly was good enough on international ice to cement his spot on the top pairing before coming to camp but you can ignore all of that if you choose to.
Don't worry it wasn't I just think that if he's paired with the best D on the team, he can use his strengths in a better way, not like Murphy who will need to have a good anchor if he's in a top 6 role. Rielly can handle himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Rielly can and is at times caught out of position trying to create offense for the Warriors as his the heart of they're offense. However Rielly is one of the smartest high iq defenseman, and I don't think I have really seen Rielly make "panic play" as he has the elite skating and iq. That's not too say you are wrong, more so it would be a rare occurrence.

Either way, I kinda agree with pairing Rielly with a stay at home defenseman as we need Hamilton for his offense as well. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see pairings changed after one or two games.

It would also create better balance as well. We'll see.
Maybe it was the fact that he wasn't used to play in games like these and didn't want to take any risks. I don't think I'm the only one who thought he was shy, but I'm probably one of the few who saw it affect his defensive game (I'm no expert by any means so take my opinion as you want).

Old
12-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
Don't worry it wasn't I just think that if he's paired with the best D on the team, he can use his strengths in a better way, not like Murphy who will need to have a good anchor if he's in a top 6 role. Rielly can handle himself.

Maybe it was the fact that he wasn't used to play in games like these and didn't want to take any risks. I don't think I'm the only one who thought he was shy, but I'm probably one of the few who saw it affect his defensive game (I'm no expert by any means so take my opinion as you want).
I do agree that it did seem he was shy and hesitant to play his game at times(much better in subway games). I think that's another reason I don't like him paired with Hamilton. I don't want neither Hamilton or Rielly put the breaks on. Not saying either will, but kinda have to as someone had to cover for the other.

I guess that's part of the fun, seeing them play and how well everyone meshes. Can't wait till the first exhibition game!

Old
12-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD66 View Post

I'll be waking up early to watch the Canada Vs. Sweden. Thursday I'll catch the game replayed.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Well OT but it sets up the point.

Enstrom so far has been the most successful partner for Byfuglien, and vice versa (both offensively and defensively). It's a long long discussion, but it allows for specialization, optimizing and line-matching. Buff-Enstrom are pushed for offensive minutes in the attacking zone and Hainsey-Bogosian are used as shutdown in the defending zone.

Same goes here. Which is why I went off tangent here.

Harrington-Oullet are offensively capable and Reilly-Hamilton are defensively capable, but specializing them allows to optimize their relative strengths.

Last edited by garret9: 12-18-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Bogosian*** had Enstrom twice
Old
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
You know, as quiet Harrington is offensively for the Knights, he puts up more for Team Canada.

Remember that 4-point game against Denmark last year? And he scored a goal against the Russians in the Summer camp.

Not saying he's going to be an offensive stud, just saying putting up a few points here and there isn't a long shot for him.
getting 4 points in a blow out game i wouldn't consider a "offensive juggernaut"

Old
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
hamilton might be playing with the best D on this team. u dont see leaf fans making fun of gally, so i expect the same with hab fans. watching rielly in the WHL is fun, but with MJ he cant get anything done, dont people remember hamilton being benched in the Russia-canada challenge?

no homer, but Rielly imo warrants that top pairing and will prove to a lot of people that Burke wasn't kidding when they had him at #1.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
getting 4 points in a blow out game i wouldn't consider a "offensive juggernaut"
he never clamed him to be? in fact he went out of his way to note that he is not an offensive stud... merely that he is a dman, not focused on scoring but has a shot that he can score goals with also

Old
12-17-2012, 11:23 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

It's going to be very interesting to see what the general consensus is in terms of draft rankings after this tournament. Drouin is being put in a position to succeed offensively, whereas Mackinnon seems to be thrust into more of a checking role.

If Drouin puts up some points here, does he start inching closer towards #1?

Old
12-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD66 View Post

So hockey starved...I'm going to PVR and watch all 4 games.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:16 AM
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
It's going to be very interesting to see what the general consensus is in terms of draft rankings after this tournament. Drouin is being put in a position to succeed offensively, whereas Mackinnon seems to be thrust into more of a checking role.

Doubtful.
Mac is a natural center with massive potential cuz of his size and frame. Add to that his speed etc, he's a no brainer for #1.

No question Drouin has the chance to inch up to #2 though.

All depends on what teams needs are as well.

If a team in desperate need of D picks #2, Seth Jones is another no-brainer pick.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:19 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
If they were smart, the #1PP unit would be with RNH running it like he does on the Oilers, imo.

RNH on the halfboards, Murphy on the point, Scheifele across from RNH in Eberle's spot, Huberdeau in Hall's spot beside the net on the same side as RNH and one of the big guys in front of the net.

--------------net-----------------
---------big guy-----Huberdeau
-----------------------------------
Scheifele-------------------------
------------------------------RNH
------------Murphy---------------
Pretty much exactly how I would run it as well.

Only thing is RNH's feeds will need to be converted, so if scheifele fails to do it I would try 2 RH shots that can fire it, Strome and Mackinnon.

Old
12-18-2012, 12:54 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

Could be. He has been wildly impressive in camp. It is a possibility, certainly.

Closed Thread