HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 01:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Folks.. the hit is being discussed and is not apropos for a roster talk thread. Let's move it to the different thread.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:07 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Folks.. the hit is being discussed and is not apropos for a roster talk thread. Let's move it to the different thread.
MERCI.

Now about that roster. I was thinking about MacKinnon's use in the pre-tourney games, and I was wondering if Spott used him less because he knew what he was going to get out of him? Considering those games should be used for experimentation and chemistry building, does someone think this to be the case?

Old
12-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
MERCI.

Now about that roster. I was thinking about MacKinnon's use in the pre-tourney games, and I was wondering if Spott used him less because he knew what he was going to get out of him? Considering those games should be used for experimentation and chemistry building, does someone think this to be the case?
The top six hasn't impressed me all that much thus far. RNH looked good the first game, but other than him the rest of the guys looked between average to below average. Guys like Huberdeau, Strome and Sheifele, who are returning players and should look a level above, look average at best.

Meanwhile, the newcomers like MacKinnon and Drouin look like they're actually giving a damn out there, yet aren't getting the ice time of the other guys.

Hopefully the guys in our top six get it together. Otherwise Team Canada's not winning a medal if these first two games are any indication of what the top two line forwards are going to play like.

And I think that's one area Spott needed to be a bit more proactive. Insert guys onto those lines who were hustling or creating, to send a message that it doesn't matter who you are, if you're not interested in playing you'll be replaced.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:19 PM
wings5

Just a bit of an off-topic question from the hit, I noticed the Canada game is being replayed at noon while the Slovakia v.s Russia game is being played at 9am. Instead of waking up at 4am I was thinking of waking up at 9 to watch the Slovakia v Russia game then the Canada game. Would it be impossible to watch the first game without knowing the score of the Canada game? Not sure what I'm gonna do lol.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Just a bit of an off-topic question from the hit, I noticed the Canada game is being replayed at noon while the Slovakia v.s Russia game is being played at 9am. Instead of waking up at 4am I was thinking of waking up at 9 to watch the Slovakia v Russia game then the Canada game. Would it be impossible to watch the first game without knowing the score of the Canada game?
Probably not. They tend to either have updates, or show scrolling boxscores at the bottom of the screen. So if you really don't want to know the score of the Canada game, you're better off not watching anything until the replay.

Old
12-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Just a bit of an off-topic question from the hit, I noticed the Canada game is being replayed at noon while the Slovakia v.s Russia game is being played at 9am. Instead of waking up at 4am I was thinking of waking up at 9 to watch the Slovakia v Russia game then the Canada game. Would it be impossible to watch the first game without knowing the score of the Canada game? Not sure what I'm gonna do lol.
Yup, watch with the sound off.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:47 PM
67sfan

I'm worried going into this tournament. Huberdeau, strome, and scheiffele didn't impress me last year and have so far not impressed me this year either.

The discipline issue is a big worrying point for me as well. Regardless of whether or not the calls are legit, that is the type of reffing you find in an intl tourney and we need to adjust. 14 penalties a game is not acceptable.

Couple with the above points an idiot coach who doesn't seem to know how to use his roster properly and will probably make a struggling Subban starter over Binnington and its a recipe for disaster.

Bluntly, from what I've seen out of Spott so far, he shouldn't even be coaching peewee aaa.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sfan View Post
Bluntly, from what I've seen out of Spott so far, he shouldn't even be coaching peewee aaa.
Agreed.

Terrible coach.

No idea what hes doing.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Agreed.

Terrible coach.

No idea what hes doing.
He hasn't made great decisions so far but in his defense the tournament hasn't even started. Canada's issues have been coaching and goaltending since they won the tournament in 2009. Most people will tell you the turning point in last year's tournament was the first 40 minutes against Russia. For me, this turning point came at the second intermission of the Canada-Norway game.

I look back at Ryan Huska's interview on TSN after the 2nd period of a game Canada was winning 7-0 against Denmark. He kept rambling on about showing good sportsmanship, respecting your opponent, not running up the score, etc. In other words he was a great fit to be on the coaching staff of an 8-year-old girls hockey team, not at a major International hockey tournament. If you recall, Canada gave up 2 goals to Denmark in that third period and the play was remarkably even for the final stanza. Under no circumstances in a short tournament like this where chemistry is everything should you take your foot off the gas pedal, I don't care what the score is or who your opponent is. I honestly don't think I've been so rattled after seeing a television interview.

At the exact same time as this was happening Russia held the identical 7-0 lead against Latvia, another notoriously weaker opponent after the same 40 minutes. Did they take their foot off the gas pedal and "respect" their opponent? No chance. They played the game the way it should be played and pumped in 7 third period goals to win 14-0. I really don't think it's a coincidence that Russia was better prepared in the semi final against Canada last year as a result of this and the overall philosophy. Nice guys finish last in sports and this tournament is certainly no exception. There's room for that bush league Ryan Huska strategy in minor hockey where the emphasis is on fun; not so much in a tournament like this.

Which brings me to my point about Spott and co this year. The game on Boxing Day against Germany on paper shouldn't be close. Canada should probably win pretty handily, at least on paper, probably to the point where they're pushing double digits. Canada has struggled to score since selection camp began which really shouldn't be the case with the team that Spott picked. The Germany game is a prime statement game for the Canadian's. They need to throw a big number up on that scoreboard that intimidates the Russia's and USA's of this tournament. They need to get some chemistry and confidence going for their top offensive players.

All this Spott hate on here honestly surprises me. The guy picked pretty much verbatim the HFBoards Team Canada dream team with a ton of offensive one-dimensional players. I know there's some posters, like myself that wanted more jam on the roster but for the most part this forum was ecstatic after the final cuts were made.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
67sfan

My issue is not with the roster Spott picked. It's the fact that he seems hellbent on playing his "top tier" players regardless of how they are playing. Then watching the team go down to 10 forwards against Sweden and still not playing MacKinnon much for no apparent reason (when MacKinnon is consistently one of the better/harder working players on he ice) leads me to question his coaching ability.

His lack of being able to keep his players out of the box is also another big problem for me. As I said in my last post....regardless of the quality of reffing, it is what it is. We need to adjust. 14 penalties against Russia and we will get rocked badly.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Shaun Bisson

The Spott hate surprises me, but at the same time it doesn't. I don't think most people understand that Steve Spott has almost NO input as far as who makes the team. The head coach of the World Jr. team knows going in to it that the team is his to coach, but not his to pick. Unfortunately, most fans don't see that.

However, now that we have a team over in Russia and with the tourney starting in a couple of days it is now up to Spott to to the best lines together, and stoke the fire that should already be lit underneath these players. As was alluded to earlier we should run the score up pretty handily on the Germans, but they do have a good team as well. Efforts like we so in the pre tournament games will make it way too close for my liking. If the team shows up to play (which from what I've seen so far, hasn't happened) then as most people expect, it is Canada's tournament to lose.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:50 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
All this Spott hate on here honestly surprises me. The guy picked pretty much verbatim the HFBoards Team Canada dream team with a ton of offensive one-dimensional players. I know there's some posters, like myself that wanted more jam on the roster but for the most part this forum was ecstatic after the final cuts were made.
Huh?

One-dimensional? A lot of these players are top prospects, 1st round draft picks. NHL scouts must be really horrible at drafting if they all go for 1 dimensional guys.

What about Camara, Lipon, Jenner, Danault, McNeill? They can certainly hit and play an energy game. I'm not sure what you're looking for?

Old
12-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

It feels like we're all bashing Spott for decisions he hasn't even made yet. So what he wanted to try his 3 experienced stars on the 1st line in a pre-tourney game? This is what most coaches do, nothing new there. Clearly it didn't work out, but some people haven't even given him a chance to act before saying "Omg Spott's an idiot for not shuffling the lines." Same with the goalie decision. It seems like some people are just assuming that Spott will go with Subban and criticizing him based on this assumption.

But if we do in fact go into the tourney with the same lines we saw yesterday, something isn't right.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Huh?

One-dimensional? A lot of these players are top prospects, 1st round draft picks. NHL scouts must be really horrible at drafting if they all go for 1 dimensional guys.

What about Camara, Lipon, Jenner, Danault, McNeill? They can certainly hit and play an energy game. I'm not sure what you're looking for?
Huberdeau, Rattie, Scheifele, Strome, Drouin (at 17)...

If these guys aren't scoring they aren't bringing much of anything to the game. That's almost half of your forward group right there. I'm not overly comfortable with any of these guys PKing, playing in high pressure defensive situations or helping us defend leads late in games. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't have been taken but I can also guarantee you that there's going to be, and to an extent already have been, some disappearing acts from those 5. For the record the only guy I wouldn't have taken of that group would have been Rattie.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Lessy

What I'd like to see against Germany:

Drouin-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner-McNeill
Mackinnon-Danault-Lipon
Rattie

I'm one of the few left on here that wants a shutdown line and an energy line...

Old
12-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
The Spott hate surprises me, but at the same time it doesn't. I don't think most people understand that Steve Spott has almost NO input as far as who makes the team. The head coach of the World Jr. team knows going in to it that the team is his to coach, but not his to pick. Unfortunately, most fans don't see that.
This is false. He had a big say on who made the team.

I'm not sure why people are hating on Spott, though. How is it his fault the OHL's leading scorer can't score, the supposed best player from the 2012 draft has been terrible, and the best D prospect outside the NHL has played like crap?

The forward lines have to get shuffled. There's no excuse for the lack of offense.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
This is false. He had a big say on who made the team.
I'd have to disagree with you. But that's just because I trust the information I've been given.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
I don't know why people keep repeating this as fact, because it's absoulutely not.

In the NHL, sure, coaches don't have much of an impact "picking their teams" but with the World Juniors? They absolutely do. You only have to look to last season where Don Hay type players were taken over players he didn't like. In 2010 with Dave Cameron, who is known for rather taking older players than younger. The team this years fits the mold of a Spott team, a highly skilled team with less emphasis on defensive play and more emphasis on skill (Because Spott is a very good defensive coach, he doesn't need the better defensive player, because he can get his more skilled guys to play just as good).

You might be confusing this with the World Championships or the Olympics where the GM picks the team, but for the World Juniors? Hockey Canada takes a backseat and gives the reins to the coaches.

And you can't give a mysterous "I have sources" arguement, that's ********. Anyone can see that it's obvious the coaches are the biggest decision maker regarding the team by seeing the makeup of a team, it always fits that coach. It's why rosters are more or less predictible. We should have been able to tell guys like Wilson and Corrado weren't going to make the team, because them getting cut fits Spott's coaching style.

Anyways, there's no reason to hate on Spott. I've given him a fair share of critcism for his work in Kitchener (Mostly his GM skills, he's no Pete DeBoer) but his coaching is excellent. The first two pre-tournement games aren't indicitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyj93 View Post
Does anyone know the status of Brett Ritchie? What is his injury? Will he be slotted on Strome's line?
He was day-to-day. He'll be playing against Germany.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:45 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I'm not thrilled with what i've seen from Spott so far - but I'll withhold my criticism until the tournament is underway. The pre-tournament games are experimental in nature - and now it's up to the coaching staff to identify the holes/flaws in the current structure of the team and make the appropriate adjustments.

I really wish we were playing one of the US or Russia early on in the tournament because I think they'd better expose problems once the tournament is started than Germany or Slovakia will.

I am still very optimistic about Canada's chances but it's very clear it will be a tough tournament - and I think there are 5 teams who could possibly win it.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:48 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
What I'd like to see against Germany:

Drouin-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
Camara-Jenner-McNeill
Mackinnon-Danault-Lipon
Rattie

I'm one of the few left on here that wants a shutdown line and an energy line...
Ill take your lines and modify them:

Drouin-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-Strome-Ritchie
Mackinnon-Jenner-McNeill (assuming Jenner plays, if not...)
Lipon-Danault-Rattie
Camara

Old
12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyj93 View Post
Does anyone know the status of Brett Ritchie? What is his injury? Will he be slotted on Strome's line?
ritchie practiced but not RNH

@markhmasters: Canadian practice lines:
Huberdeau-MacKinnon*-Scheifele;
Drouin-Strome-Ritchie;
Danault-Jenner-Rattie;
Camara-McNeill-Lipon (* RNH fill-in)

BUT:::

@markhmasters:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins missed today's practice, but coach Spott explains why folks back home shouldn't worry http://t.co/rKORF8ma (vid)

Old
12-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Lehner

Do I ever hate his lines

Anyone know the defense lines? Reinhart should be in the top 4 now.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

Quote:
Are you confusing who picks the final team with who decides who is invited to camp? Spott may not pick the 40 or so players who Hockey Canada invites to training camp, but he (and his coaching staff) certainly select who among those 40 make the final roster.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:37 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Are you confusing who picks the final team with who decides who is invited to camp? Spott may not pick the 40 or so players who Hockey Canada invites to training camp, but he (and his coaching staff) certainly select who among those 40 make the final roster.
At least now we wont get intimidated, average only the forwards and Defensive players

Can 184.7/ 6' 0.7" 85.75/189
USA 183.4/ 6' 0.2" 86.2/190
Finland: 183.65/6' 0.3" 83.35/183
Russia: 185.45/6' 1" 86.65/191
Sweden: 184.3157895/ 6' 0.6" 82/180

Old
12-23-2012, 06:14 PM
StringerBell

With Jenner out, these are the lines I'd like to see:

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Lipon-Strome-Ritchie