Official Off-topic Thread XLVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
The Last Baron*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
It's very disturbing when people tell you how to live your life. Also, all this gun-hate rhetoric is alienating good gun owners from non-gun people and making them feel like criminals.
Honestly, if that's how you feel about potential gun laws, what about other laws already in place?

As for you disputing Chuck's claim that gun control would result in fewer deaths, here's a nice case study with juicy stats for you: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-in-australia/

Absolutely sickening how people think owning 5+ guns is normal in this day and age. People clamor for world peace, yet they don't mind exacerbating the issues and putting MORE firearms in society, even contemplating arming professors in classrooms.

And yes, there needs to be more effective crime fighting enacted to take the firearms away from criminals/take the criminals themselves off the streets. However, considering Batman and superheroes don't exist, at least enforcing some sort of gun control is a step in the right direction.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
duckchobbins

Obama don't make me cry, don't you do it!

His writers deserve a raise.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i don't disagree that some form of gun control is going to be a necessity.

i certainly don't agree with taking away all guns.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post

I don't agree with taking away all guns.

12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post

He is one hell of a public speaker.

And I will leave it at that.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
A
Quote:

Agreed. And I stated the same.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I'm pretty sure that automatic weapons are illegal.

To the bolded, it won't. There is literally no way to prove that it would save any life at all.

Drugs are illegal and people die from drug use all the time.

IMO what's need is tougher punishments for crimes involving guns, any crime really.
Difference between drugs and guns: no one is shooting lit joints at you and forcing you to smoke.

If I come across a stoner, I just laugh and walk away.

If I were to come across a psychopath with a gun, I'd probably be shot and killed. Not fun.

FYI: This is a sensitive issue for me and something I have deep convictions about because I know what those survivors from the school are going through - I lived through Dawson in 2006. Hell, that day had I not bumped into somebody on the way to school, I would have most likely been walking up the escalator just as the shooting starting. A small 5 minute diversion most likely saved my life. I would never, ever want to relive the events of that day and if it means infringing on a severely outdated gun law, than so be it.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:

He seems to be real close to his kids. This horrible event hits any parent hard. It is scary and terribly sad.

Obama is spot on tonight. I hope he follows through and does something.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:

Fair point.

But what is wrong with what Australia did?

"The law banned semiautomatic and automatic rifles and shotguns. It also instituted a mandatory buy-back program for newly banned weapons."

Why does ANY citizen need these types of weapons? Isn't the game you hunt defenseless enough?

Old
12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
Fair point.

But what is wrong with what Australia did?

"The law banned semiautomatic and automatic rifles and shotguns. It also instituted a mandatory buy-back program for newly banned weapons."

Why does ANY citizen need these types of weapons? Isn't the game you hunt defenseless enough?

Well said

Old
12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Gotta say I've never been an Obama backer but I have to tip my hat to him. This may be his finest moment. You may need to be a parent to truly truly understand him

Old
12-16-2012, 08:01 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Gotta say I've never been an Obama backer but I have to tip my hat to him. This may be his finest moment. You may need to be a parent to truly truly understand him
I hate to be that guy that says "You must not have kids, you wouldn't understand." so I won't say it quite in that way, but I can honestly say without an ounce of uncertainty, that my life and my outlook on it changed in more ways than I'll ever know when my daughter was born. I don't even feel like the same person any more.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
I hate to be that guy that says "You must not have kids, you wouldn't understand." so I won't say it quite in that way, but I can honestly say without an ounce of uncertainty, that my life and my outlook on it changed in more ways than I'll ever know when my daughter was born. I don't even feel like the same person any more.

Because you are not the same person. Having a child changes everything.

Also if you are a teacher...Just ask Mike.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Gator Mike

Just an opinion, but enacting tougher gun laws without doing anything to address this country's failures when it comes to those with Mental Health issues would be an EPIC fail.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Neely08

The President was great.

Presidents have called out the National Guard to ensure kids could go to school, or voting rights were upheld.

Hopefully he calls on law enforcement to actively uphold the right to be 6 years old and not get murdered in class.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Welcome to the club.
It is a different kind of love that can only be experienced and is noncomparable with any other love.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:14 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Baron View Post
Difference between drugs and guns: no one is shooting lit joints at you and forcing you to smoke.

If I come across a stoner, I just laugh and walk away.

If I were to come across a psychopath with a gun, I'd probably be shot and killed. Not fun.

FYI: This is a sensitive issue for me and something I have deep convictions about because I know what those survivors from the school are going through - I lived through Dawson in 2006. Hell, that day had I not bumped into somebody on the way to school, I would have most likely been walking up the escalator just as the shooting starting. A small 5 minute diversion most likely saved my life. I would never, ever want to relive the events of that day and if it means infringing on a severely outdated gun law, than so be it.
Take it to the political forum ,man. The Bruins OT forum is not the best place for arguing strong political convictions.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
12-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike View Post
Just an opinion, but enacting tougher gun laws without doing anything to address this country's failures when it comes to those with Mental Health issues would be an EPIC fail.
By now ill assume you know my position on gun control.

But I agree that this is multifaceted issue. Certainely mental health and funding for is part of it. Security in schools another. Our need for a cultural shift too IMO. How many kids are being raised by TV and video games? How often is supper being done as a family? What happened to, how was your day?

Old
12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:

But I agree that this is multifaceted issue. Certainely mental health and funding for is part of it. Security in schools another. Our need for a cultural shift too IMO. How many kids are being raised by TV and video games? How often is supper being done as a family? What happened to, how was your day?

Things sure have changed since we were kids. We sat down to supper at the dinner table every night. Played outside until the street lights came on.

Who does that every night now ? No one has the time.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
[/B]

Things sure have changed since we were kids. We sat down to supper at the dinner table every night. Played outside until the street lights came on.

Who does that every night now ? No one has the time.

Yeah it was different.
My advice to young parents - make time. Everyday. Even if its just a few minutes be engaged. And LISTEN.
It will be time well spent.

Old
12-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Neely08

Quote:

I never thought I'd say it, but greater attention needs to paid to this issue. I was born in 1971. The internet still seems new to me. An entire generation has grown up now not knowing the world w/o the internet, or their face buried in a gadget. Some kids, even adults, live their entire life on the internet. I swear I read somewhere where some kid killed himself b/c his online character died in some game.

How many people have you seen on here who'd say something in here, online, but in person wouldn't so much as look you in the eye? My oldest is 6. Friggin batman is too dark and violent for him. I don't dare let him see a commercial after 8pm w/o worrying it will include some walking corpse, or zombie, or some kind of horrific violence. Then have to explain it to him. My generation was scared ****less to go in the ocean b/c of a giant muppet named Jaws. Now you see decapitation in cartoons. The commercials for the games are totally outrageous.

I took down a youtube video of my dogs and kids b/c of absolutely vile and vemonous comments. One smarmy ******* turned out to be the husband of a friend of ours. This ****** bag couldn't fight his way out of a crowded booth at papa ginos, I was shocked. Arms like a 10 year old girl. Switch the internet on? Whole new world.

Root of the problem, no. But something is going on w/ this generation when it comes to respect for life, or just dealing w/ reality.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Kovi

I'm cold.

Old
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

If you don't watch Homeland, you're doing it wrong.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Shaun

Yo OT imma let you finish talking about guns and **** but Homeland was crazy tonight.

Closed Thread