Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
gave my kindergartner a huuuge hug and kiss when i picked him this evening. Less than 10 mins later I was, and I quote - "the worst daddy in the world! hhmmmph!!" because I told him he couldn't have ice cream before dinner. any other night and he gets a warning with possible TO for next temper tantrum infraction. Tonight? Music to my ears and more hugs and kisses.
I am sure all parents are looking at their kids a little differently after this.

I saw Obama get choked up as he spoke about what happened. A few people I work with had tears in their eyes hearing the terrible news.

I wish things could be done to prevent something like this from ever happening again...but it is not possible.

12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBruinsGirl View Post
There are absolutely no words that can comfort anyone about losing 20 innocent children. Thinking about 5-10 year olds being hit with bullets is something I can't even begin to process in my mind. It's so unspeakable and unthinkable.

Thoughts and prayers to all the families affected, the children affected and the first responders/officers that had to respond to that horrific scene.
I can not imagine being a parent and knowing that your child is considered part of the "crime scene" so you can't even get them until the next day...I heard this last night and just sat and cried. I can't process that either.

How does someone get to be this evil ?...there are no answers.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBruins231 View Post
Currently sitting in Atlanta, hoping I get on a flight to St. Maarten this morning. If there's not a seat open, I'll head to Bermuda instead.
Grand Cayman is very nice and much warmer than Bermuda this time of year.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post

the terwilliger family xmas tree.
Very Nice.

I just bought a tree. Now I need the energy to drag it in the house and put all of the stuff on it.

At my house it is really not a Christmas tree...Just a large cat toy

Old
12-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Kovi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
I read on twitter(not saying its true at all...especially with the horrific media coverage on this) that the shooter attempted to purchase a rifle earlier in the week and was denied.

Unfortunate if true that the gun laws did what they are supposed to and this still happened.
a gun is just one way to commit a crime. a very similar thing happened yesterday in China and they guy had a knife.

it isnt about guns...they are just the vehicle for the abhorrence that already exists in the mind of the killer.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Very Nice.
Just a large cat toy

Old
12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

The events that occurred yesterday should show everyone how fleeting life can be. Tell your family and friends that you love them often because you don't get a chance to say goodbye sometimes. Thoughts and prayers with the victims families. I can't even imagine the horror of trying to deal with something like this. That's my two cents, and all I'm going to say on this topic.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:10 PM
sooshii
SISU

Anyone heard from TwineTickler? Hope he & his are ok.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Anyone heard from TwineTickler? Hope he & his are ok.
I hope they are ok!

I am Boston Strong

Old
12-15-2012, 12:23 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Man. Really tough day. The kids keep asking me about it too, not really sure what to say

On another note, For those of you familiar with car accidents, is it pretty much one and done once the insurance agent checks your car out and evaluates if its worth repairing or not or can you get a second opinion? Also, does anyone know how to check the current nada value of your car that the registry uses to determine sales tax as well as a line for totaling the car?
Once the adjuster determines that the cost of repairs are over 50% of the car's value it is declared a total loss. You do not have to accept it but be prepared for some additional headaches if you want to keep the car & have it fixed. READ YOUR POLICY, as I am sure things are done differently in MA than they are here in CT.

As for determining the value try NADA.com or kelleybluebook.com.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:33 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
would it be a good idea to require teachers to be trained and carry?
Yes.

Many schools are declared "gun free zones". Well all that does is advertise the fact that everyone on that campus is defenseless. This is the reason why maniacs like this guy, the Columbine shooters and the Virginia Tech killer target these places- they know they can inflict a lot of death before they are killed by the police or themselves.

Old
12-15-2012, 12:43 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
It's probably not the answer, but I think that people should be taught about firearms in schools, safe handling, the dangers, the pros etc. I think if people are educated at a young age(not kindergarten obviously) they will gain a healthy respect for firearms.

Firearms are not all bad and I think that people should know this. They are a part of life and being a good marksman can be a useful life skill, there are many olympics sports involving firearms.

Guns are used for a lot more than just killing things/people and I think that teaching children and all people to have a respect for them it could potentially help in the long run.
I would love to see the first part of your post happen. It would go far to reduce the absolutely appalling ignorance most people have about guns.

Great post patty59

Old
12-15-2012, 01:00 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Very Nice.

I just bought a tree. Now I need the energy to drag it in the house and put all of the stuff on it.

At my house it is really not a Christmas tree...Just a large cat toy

Oh hell yeah!

Old
12-15-2012, 01:06 PM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Once the adjuster determines that the cost of repairs are over 50% of the car's value it is declared a total loss. You do not have to accept it but be prepared for some additional headaches if you want to keep the car & have it fixed. READ YOUR POLICY, as I am sure things are done differently in MA than they are here in CT.

As for determining the value try NADA.com or kelleybluebook.com.
It just has to be more than 50%? Damn, it's probably totalled then. What could you do to dispute that ? If it saves me from the headache of a loan and finding a new car, then it might be worth it. Besides, there's no damage to the main body or anything related to the wheels, so I wouldn't feel unsafe after it was fixed

Old
12-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Bridges31

Quote:
It just has to be more than 50%? Damn, it's probably totalled then. What could you do to dispute that ? If it saves me from the headache of a loan and finding a new car, then it might be worth it. Besides, there's no damage to the main body or anything related to the wheels, so I wouldn't feel unsafe after it was fixed

As far as I know if they were to declare it totaled, the insurance company will total it out and it would be considered a salvage vehicle.

You would then have to fix everything wrong with it that the insurance company finds to get the vehicle registered and inspected and clear to drive.

I was talking to a mechanic who bought a salvage vehicle and he had to fix everything that was wrong including the air conditioning before they deemed the car road worthy.

Old
12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
[/B]

Oh hell yeah!
I put Frodo (my 3 year old Maine Coon) in the bathroom while I set up the tree. When I let him out the look on his face as he bounded down the stairs was "Cool something else to wreck".

So far he hasn't tried to climb it but nothing but lights are on it so far. He is trying to eat the branches.

He is such a goof...but I love him anway. My other cat Mack is much more mature.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

The power just went out in the middle of a crystal clear day for no reason.

WTF?(

Old
12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
I read on twitter(not saying its true at all...especially with the horrific media coverage on this) that the shooter attempted to purchase a rifle earlier in the week and was denied.

Unfortunate if true that the gun laws did what they are supposed to and this still happened.
Didn't hear that. I know it's true that the fruitloop that shot Gabrielle Giffords tried to buy ammo, and at least one store turned him down b/c of his behavior. That salesman knew something was wrong, didn't sell him the ammo, but didn't do much else. And, in this day and age, how can you expect him to?

People keep talking a/b warning signs, and not ignoring them. The Fort Hood shooter walked around in a ****in man dress and went full fundamentalist before he did the deed. Military personnel saw this, but were terrified to speak up, out of fear they would be accused of discrimination. The notion that people are going to be more conscious and proactive a/b someone who's engine is running but there's no one at the wheel, is as naive as those who think you can make a law and eliminate firearms.

Same goes for someone w/ Asperger's or autism. Being on that spectrum doesn't necessarily equate to = sociopath. This guy broke several laws already in place to try and prevent this. He wasn't of age. He was on school premises w/ a firearm, etc. Guess what? Criminals don't care a/b laws, only law abiding people do.

Three minutes was all he needed. That includes shooting his way in. Nothing but an armed presence at that school was going to stop this guy, period.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

While I don't like the idea of having more guns at school (what if a teacher gets overpowered?), how about stun guns to disable an assailant w/o necessarily killing them (nor could it be used as a killing tool should it be taken away from them)?

Old
12-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Even if the main body and wheels are in tact, if they find the frame is bent in any way then your screwed (no sugar coating it). Fingers crossed that it isn't tho!

Old
12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
While I don't like the idea of having more guns at school (what if a teacher gets overpowered?), how about stun guns to disable an assailant w/o necessarily killing them (nor could it be used as a killing tool should it be taken away from them)?
You have to get close to use that.

It shouldn't be a teacher, but I wouldn't prevent any teacher from carrying a concealed firearm at this point, either. How can you all things considered? It should be a plainclothes law enforcement officer, or dedicated and well trained security personnel.

Old
12-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

I hope the media makes it a point to break the stereotypes the country has about mental illness and those who suffer from it.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I hope the media makes it a point to break the stereotypes the country has about mental illness and those who suffer from it.
No kidding...watching today and some Women Politician just kept trying to sway this towards a mental illness issue and we need to start there...

BS...There is such a thing as people just being flat out evil. I'm related to many who suffer from some form of mental illness and there are the last people that would ever harm anyone...

Old
12-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
No kidding...watching today and some Women Politician just kept trying to sway this towards a mental illness issue and we need to start there...

BS...There is such a thing as people just being flat out evil. I'm related to many who suffer from some form of mental illness and there are the last people that would ever harm anyone...
I think you're too narrowly defining mental illness. There are many, many different kinds of mental illness and they all affect folks differently.

IMO, what us "normal" people would consider "evil" absolutely stems from a form of mental illness...it's just a different kind of mental illness than most of us see on a day to day basis. You have have some kind of severe mental illness to be so disturbed that you think shooting up an elementary school is the solution to a problem, a good idea, or the right thing to do. Or, to know it's wrong but to not care and do it anyways.

Closed Thread