HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why doesn't the NHL network show more live CHL games in the US?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
  #1
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,046
vCash: 50
Why doesn't the NHL network show more live CHL games in the US?

It seems like they only like to show one or two live games a week.

Tonight's Red Deer and Victoria game is on NHL network at 9:30 but they are reshowing a match from 12/12/12 at 7:30-9:30. Do the people who do the scheduling not realize that most US viewers don't really like rebroadcasted events?

And it's not like there's not an early game to show. there's 8 OHL events starting between 7 pm and 7:30 pm. Show us more damn live games

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:21 PM
  #2
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Because it would likely involve some type of effort on their part. NHL Network sadly is just a very poor station, I mean ****, who doesn't like endless loops of the same playoff games every summer?

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
  #3
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
It is unbelievable how little they care about the NHL network...

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
  #4
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
It is unbelievable how little they care about the NHL network...
For real. Not only is the NHL Network easily the worst Big 4 sports channel during the off-season, it's one of the biggest jokes of a channel on TV.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:12 PM
  #5
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,642
vCash: 500
Because even Canadians wouldn't watch it.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  #6
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
It seems like they only like to show one or two live games a week.
Sportsnet in Canada only shows a couple of live games per week and the NHL Network probably just piggybacks off them. Most CHL games are shown on local community cable channels.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
  #7
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
It seems like they only like to show one or two live games a week.

Tonight's Red Deer and Victoria game is on NHL network at 9:30 but they are reshowing a match from 12/12/12 at 7:30-9:30. Do the people who do the scheduling not realize that most US viewers don't really like rebroadcasted events?

And it's not like there's not an early game to show. there's 8 OHL events starting between 7 pm and 7:30 pm. Show us more damn live games

They only show one or two live games a week in Canada as far as I know. We get Sportsnet's Friday Night Hockey, and then you probably get your local Rogers' cable television feed (think public access quality TV production) of the nearest team (I know Rogers Cable 10 showed Generals games in Oshawa, and that is real low budget stuff).

I agree with the sentiment though. There should be more, higher budget CHL games being produced and broadcast. In a way, I look forward to CTV/Bogers buying all the national NHL games, including Saturday night, so the CBC can pick up the CHL rights and run with them. If CBC started broadcasting CHL doubleheaders every Saturday, with the same national/regional focus Hockey Night has right now, they could turn the league a legit TV property, just like TSN did with the CFL.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
  #8
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,042
vCash: 597
Because Sportsnet shows a game a week and they get that game.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  #9
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,725
vCash: 50
Yeah I'm watching the Red Deer/Victoria game and it's not so bad. I'm looking forward to the World Juniors though. That's gonna be what saves me from going insane this winter.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:38 PM
  #10
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
Yeah I'm watching the Red Deer/Victoria game and it's not so bad. I'm looking forward to the World Juniors though. That's gonna be what saves me from going insane this winter.
Why don't you watch NCAA? Almost every Minnesota game is on TV, so you can watch Skjei. Also, if you didn't watch, you just missed the Michigan game with Boo Nieves.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:24 AM
  #11
Knighthammer
Registered User
 
Knighthammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
They might be local community channels, but I think the crews who cover teams like the Knights or Rangers are good enough to be shown on the NHL Network. Sure, they might not be HNiC or Sportsnet quality, but they do well with what they have (Especially since most of the crews are made up of volunteers)


Now, if they ever showed Owen Sound Attack games.... yikes

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:59 PM
  #12
Hampe
The Hampster
 
Hampe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Charleston, S.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Because NHL Network sucks? I'm honestly surprised they're not just replaying the playoffs again.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:03 PM
  #13
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Because NHL Network sucks? I'm honestly surprised they're not just replaying the playoffs again.
They are.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:08 PM
  #14
Datstromberg
Registered User
 
Datstromberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
because then they wouldn't be able to show game 3 of the 2012 eastern conference quarterfinals.

Datstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:09 PM
  #15
Hampe
The Hampster
 
Hampe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Charleston, S.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
They are.
I thought that was just on Wednesdays?

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 03:15 PM
  #16
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 140
Because NHL network is NHL network. Let me explain this with a visual aid I discovered today.


Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  #17
Picklepete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Yeah, it blows !
The MLB & NFL network is active as hell in the off season with live programming ect..

Why dont we have at least a live hour of NHL live, reporting on the lock out updates w/ discussions on the talks, ect..
Off seasons transactions & how they think teams have done..

Piss poor network..

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  #18
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,247
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Because NHL network is NHL network. Let me explain this with a visual aid I discovered today.

They wrote that?


IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:21 PM
  #19
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,080
vCash: 500
what they should do is air every hockey game they broadcast on xm radio, i want ahl coverage and i would watch some chl games if i ever came across them but the nhl network tv channel is awful

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:24 PM
  #20
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,310
vCash: 769
because, aside from the Memorial Cup, CHL games are boring as ****

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
  #21
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because. aside from the Memorial Cup, CHL games are boring as ****
Its a shame to hear that from someone in Sudbury. That is a truly great junior hockey community.

I can assure you, Memorial Cup games are no more or less boring that almost any other CHL game.

Just look at the amount of superstar NHL'ers who have come up through the CHL. It is hockey's version of division 1 NCAA. You should give it a chance. In the last two years I have completely fallen for the OHL. Games are affordable, it is the primary development league for NHL talent, you can follow your team around on road trips, many arenas still have some of that individuality and charm that the NHL completely lost over the last twenty years.

I think it is partly that I am a hopeless romantic, but the CHL is just pure Canadiana. There is nothing more "hockey" to me than a February Saturday night in Sarnia, or Belleville, or Sudbury.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:32 PM
  #22
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because, aside from the Memorial Cup, CHL games are boring as ****
all competitive hockey is entertaining, I've even been watching high school games and enjoying them

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:17 PM
  #23
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
As many have mentioned the NHL Network is using Sportsnet feed to air those 1 or two games a week. Most OHL teams have games on local Rogers stations I believe and there are weekly WHL games shown on Shaw. Eastlink in the Maritimes will broadcast Maritime Q teams time to time.

The NHL Network would have to come an agreement with those networks to show those games. They might not be able to with the agreement with Sportsnet (highly unlikely though).

People seem to forget the CHL is primarily a weekend league so there aren't a ton of games to be shown from Monday-Thursday. You also have to take in account some arenas in the CHL don't have capabilities to have a live TV broadcast due to small press box.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:15 PM
  #24
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
I've watched the same playoff games 20 times.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:15 PM
  #25
TTOMO
Registered User
 
TTOMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because, aside from the Memorial Cup, CHL games are boring as ****
That's where you're wrong.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.