HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lockout XXX: You never trust a millionaire

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 07:04 PM
ThePhoenixx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
In short, It's a very unlikely scenario that people are getting way too carried away with.
I tried, but I think its more fun to dream!

Old
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
The latest proposal.
But is it on the table? Would they even be able to vote on that? I mean I'd laugh myself silly if they get stuck with the October proposal.

Old
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
We live in a democracy where everyone has a right to speech but some can easily be sued.
Are they actually named as defendants, or are comments they've made just being cited in the language of the Complaint?

Be that as it may, yes, we all have a right to free speech. This is a prime example: just because you *can* say something doesn't mean you necessarily should.

Old
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
They would have to request it to be put back on the table. The last one at least.
oh man.....can you imagine the nhlpa begging to have the last proposal put back on the table....the hilarity of it all is a beautiful thing

Old
NjDevsRR

What in Gods name is going on? I have been glued to the tv watching the news on this awful day..anyone care to make a quick right up on todays events for me?

Old
12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Could u imagine 700 free agents and crazy Ed with no salary cap
Or worse yet, all those FAs with a cap. The Flyers would have 5 players and Leighton in net

Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Theoretically, If the worst happens, teams like Philly, NYR, Montreal, etc won't have a problem getting new stars. What about teams like TB or Nashville?
There were stars on other teams before the salary cap, sure the big boys will be able to sign their share of star players, but they can only dress 20 on a give night. Are you saying that a guy who could be a first liner in Nashville would sign to be the 13th forward in Toronto? And even if every star player lined up at MSG for a fat contract, there is still a limit to what the Rangers could pay before they are one of the teams losing money.

Old
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
But is it on the table? Would they even be able to vote on that? I mean I'd laugh myself silly if they get stuck with the October proposal.
Bill Daly told Renaud Lavoie of RDS 2-3 days ago that if the PA requested a NHL offer to vote on, the NHL would submit the offer in paper form very quickly.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Theoretically, If the worst happens, teams like Philly, NYR, Montreal, etc won't have a problem getting new stars. What about teams like TB or Nashville?
Would the latest NHL been much better for those small markets? I doubt it since no one mentioned about grossly increasing revenue sharing.

The NHL called the PA hardliners on their bluff. Since Fehr wants to stall till Janurary or next year, I bet you Brisson, Meehan Orr are already on the phone pulling all nighters tonight trying something else through the back channels.

Old
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
What in Gods name is going on? I have been glued to the tv watching the news on this awful day..anyone care to make a quick right up on todays events for me?
Both sides are filing legal things that would have unlikely but hilarious consequences if accepted in court.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
There were stars on other teams before the salary cap, sure the big boys will be able to sign their share of star players, but they can only dress 20 on a give night. Are you saying that a guy who could be a first liner in Nashville would sign to be the 13th forward in Toronto? And even if every star player lined up at MSG for a fat contract, there is still a limit to what the Rangers could pay before they are one of the teams losing money.
I'm saying it's entirely possible they could lose a great star and not get something equal in his place. It's not that they'd have no stars, it's that they could have lesser stars and be worse off overall. Guys like Stamkos and Weber aren't easily replaced if they decide to be elsewhere.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes, I know it's unlikely this comes to pass. I'm also not saying those players will leave

Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Hitting reset on the contracts would be an interesting experiment. And the klondike for the big markets, as has been stated.

Poor Columbus.

Old
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
oh man.....can you imagine the nhlpa begging to have the last proposal put back on the table....the hilarity of it all is a beautiful thing
You can just feel the momentum and leverage swing heavily in the owners direction. I personally love it.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
People people people...calm down. This everyone is a UFA stuff is completely unlikely to happen.

And read this: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...rs-union_n.htm

Quote:
In the federal lawsuit, the NBA wants to "establish, among other things, that the NBA's lockout does not violate federal antitrust laws and that if the Players Association's 'decertification' were found to be lawful, all existing player contracts would become void and unenforceable."
It's most likely the same thing in what the NHL filed. It's all about covering their bases.

Old
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It would be chaos, but it'd be predictable. Players won't simply get up and move their family. The good players will get even more money and the lesser players will be the losers.
We all know that by now as does a certain Hamrlik who got blasted for telling the blunt truth.

The Westgarth, Parros and other fringe guys are throwing themselves under the bus. Ivy leaguers

Old
Legionnaire11

Quote:
I'm saying it's entirely possible they could lose a great star and not get something equal in his place. It's not that they'd have no stars, it's that they could have lesser stars.
fair enough, though it might also spread some of the talent out. Some younger kids who are poised for a breakout but might be stuck behind a vet could be looking to sign on with a lesser team.

We also don't know what the contract situation would be like. In this scenario I believe the NHL would be able to put in any labor terms that they wish and then the players could choose to sign or not. So the NHL could put in their own CBA that each team can only have a certain number of contracts worth X dollars, which would force the league's talent to be evenly spread out.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Would the latest NHL been much better for those small markets? I doubt it since no one mentioned about grossly increasing revenue sharing.

The NHL called the PA hardliners on their bluff. Since Fehr wants to stall till Janurary or next year, I bet you Brisson, Meehan Orr are already on the phone pulling all nighters tonight trying something else through the back channels.
Kind of a tangent, but speaking of grossly increasing revenue sharing...if revenue sharing isn't increased, who wants to bet we end up with another lockout? If the NHL has a decade of explosive growth we might end up right where we are now, with teams struggling to make the floor. I guess we have to wait and see how the cap and floor will be calculated to know how likely that might be.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
People people people...calm down. This everyone is a UFA stuff is completely unlikely to happen.

I don't think it'll happen either.

Old
Langdon Alger*

What people are missing here is that this is exactly what the NBA owners did when the NBAPA tried to disclaim interest. The owners are basically telling the players, "Sure, there's a chance your disclaimer will be accepted AND the judges will reject our motion - but do you really want to risk it?"

The NBAPA said hell no, and a deal was struck. I'll bet the NHLPA will do the same.

Old
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Brilliant move by the NHL. If the NHLPA has been so good at herding them, maybe this scare tactic by the NHL will work the same way. It's about time they put the fear of God into the players.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:11 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:

PA suffered a huge blow today and more and more players must be ******** in their pants now. I know I would.

Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Or worse yet, all those FAs with a cap. The Flyers would have 5 players and Leighton in net
Hey, don't talk crap about Leighton, he beat a wood plank to be the Habs' practice goalie that one year.

Then we traded him for a 7th rounder. Heh.

Old
Nanuk23

Wonder what Alan Walsh thinks of the possibility of all contracts becoming null and void

Old
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk23 View Post
Wonder what Alan Walsh thinks of the possibility of all contract becoming null and void
Probably wishing it happens, having to negociate contracts means he works and gets percentage of the new deals.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
comments like that and the NHL claiming in court that they provided over 200,000 pages of financial documents to the NHLPA will likely prove the players weren`t negotiating in good faith
I like how a lot of PA supporters claim that the owners are using accounting tricks to hide their profits. Yet the PA has been provided with the documents and haven't made any such claims themselves. They have not disputed one time that there are several teams losing significant amounts of money, only that they don't want to give up salary and contract rights to fix the problems.

Closed Thread