HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lockout XXX: You never trust a millionaire

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 03:40 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Source

"The players have proposed the cap start at $67.25 million and never go below that. "

Fehr has first persisted in guaranteed salaries and guaranteed raises and now he's switched to a guaranteed cap. It's like he can't negotiate without the inclusion of poison pills. Playing these games when the lockout has been going on for three months should make anyone worry. I'm not sure the players know what is going on because they keep saying they hope a deal will get done soon. With NHLPA demands like that, there is no chance we'll get a deal.
They're poison pills for you.
Not for the players.

And realistically, there's no reason to expect the cap to drop ...except for the first year, thanks to the owners' moronic decision to lockout the players.

Old
12-16-2012, 03:44 PM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Not for the players.

And realistically, there's no reason to expect the cap to drop ...except for the first year, thanks to the owners' moronic decision to lockout the players.
blinders definition: see this guys posts

Old
12-16-2012, 03:48 PM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
So I live in Las Vegas where almost no one has heard of or follows hockey. I was hanging out with some buddies the other day and I brought up the lockout. Three didn't even know the NHL was in a lockout and the fourth said, "didn't they just have a lockout a few years ago? No wonder no one watches that league."

It made me mad, but I couldn't really say anything. Dude was right.
Stange....the lockout is all me and my friends talk about........

Old
12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
You live in the peg. Not much else to do...

So they have until thursday to push this thing through?

What happens if it gets voted down? Do they just do it anyways? Or they just stand there with their thumbs up their *****?

Old
12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
OmniCube

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Then you need a hell of a lot more things in your life that, oh I don't know, actually DO matter.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:02 PM
lockstock

Quote:
Not for the players.

This is either the dumbest or most disingenuous post of the lockout right here. HRR is at a record high because of a fluke in exchange rates that no one expected and you want to freeze them at that level. Of course they'd love that. I'd love it if my stocks were guaranteed to return 15% or the actual rate of return, whichever is higher every year, but that's not even living in a fantasy land. It's just plain old stupid to table that demand.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
The last lockout ended the careers of some 240 players. Between the players getting ready to retire, the players who may not have been good enough to stick in the NHL (replaced by other young rookies who may stick better) and the vets who may lose a step by not playing every year it's quite likely we see a similar number this time around.
The lockout itself didn't end the career of some 240 players because of those 240 players, how many would never have played another game even if there was no lockout? From the article where the 240 figure originates, they put that number at over a 100.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:06 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Ya the NHLPA is ****ed... As much as I want hockey back, it is going to be fun seeing Bettman destroy the union.
This needs to be repeated and repeated.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
There's nothing disingenuous about it.

I believe the other owners have a responsibility toward financing expansion and growth -- and that it shouldn't ONLY be the players responsible for the economics of expansion.

Instead, the greedy ******* NHL owners have exactly backwards.

The NHL owners, instead investing in new markets/departments, actually POCKET the CASH from the new departments -- and thereby actually impair the ability.

I'm a fan of a big market hockey team. An original 6 hockey club,

I want to see my team get serious about SOLVING the league's problems, instead of doing this absurd and stupid lockout song and dance.

you want to support idiocy? Be my guest. There's no shortage of people willing to support idiocy.
It is when you intentionally neglect fiscal loss on a grander scale in order to support your arguments of "rich vs poor." We know there are teams operating at a loss, more barely able to break even. Unless your response is, "oh well, sucks to be them" what do you purpose the league do short of decreasing expenses?

How are only the players response? A reduction in salary does not equate to immediately imbalance but a necessary reaction to loss of revenue.

And they shouldn't pocket why exactly? Your entire argument seems to hinge on the notion revenue sharing in high abundance is the solution.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Seanahue

Quote:
Not for the players.

Keep letting that bias shine on right through.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:16 PM
JAX

Quote:
Not for the players.

Your right Bob, they even offered to play while negotiating, just imagine how far the process would be along if they were already playing.

And remember this is a lockout not a strike.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
Your right Bob, they even offered to play while negotiating, just imagine how far the process would be along if they were already playing.

And remember this is a lockout not a strike.
They were asked to negotiate last november while playing and they told the league that they couldn't negotiate while playing.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Rpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They were asked to negotiate last november while playing and they told the league that they couldn't negotiate while playing.
Which obvious means that they would be negotiating much more than they are right now while not playing.....right?

Old
12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Gotta love the old "lockout not a strike" argument. Sure would have been fun playing the season under the constant threat of the players walking off the job at any moment.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
JAX

Quote:
maybe I should of put a after my post, I've been battling with Bob as much as everybody else here. Bob see what he wants to.....

Old
12-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
maybe I should of put a after my post, I've been battling with Bob as much as everybody else here. Bob see what he wants to.....
I know. I meant to multiquote yours and his posts but it didn't work.

If the players had started to meet with the league in November as opposed to june/july, we would be 7 months ahead of schedule and would probably have a deal done

Old
12-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:

If the players had started to meet with the league in November as opposed to june/july, we would be 7 months ahead of schedule and would probably have a deal done
no we would be exactly where we are today most likely. fehr has no reason to actually sign on the dotted line. i am starting to firmly believe this was "his" end game, but the players kept pushing him to find them a deal, and he just wasn't able to get the players on board for the battle in the courts till now.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
Which obvious means that they would be negotiating much more than they are right now while not playing.....right?
If they had Paul Kelly instead of Fehr as the PA head, we wouldn't have had a single lockout day this year. PA was ridiculous to push out Kelly for Fehr so Fehr could fight the owners while claiming that all they want to do is get a fair deal and to play hockey.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Kind of funny how the NHL is able to use players' own tweets against them in their lawsuit

Exactly why having the ability to tell the public your every thought doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.
And is it a shock that a healthy amount of players don't get that? They didn't know, they weren't told, they ignored the wishes of Fehr. It must be one of those.

It's so freakin funny.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
JAX

Quote:

Hard to say, I think Fehr would have stalled his way to this point anyhow. The best deal for the players comes in Jan....at least that's what a few players seem to think.

Old
12-16-2012, 04:29 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

DOI vs Decert

On the flip side, because a disclaimer of interest doesn't include a player vote, it may be more vulnerable to the NHL's sham argument, namely, that the players only disclaimed interest to extract leverage in negotiations. It may be tougher to allege a sham argument in the case of a decertification, where players actually made their intent known by way of a vote.

I have a few thoughts based on the above paragraph and link assuming this information is correct.

The players are declaring a vote which according to the link is not required for DOI. Why exactly are the players voting if it's DOI? One answer I can find is in the above paragraph and that's in reference to a sham. Is there something else or is it an idle threat?

Hypothetically, what happens if the courts find it to be a sham?

And lastly, could the treatment of Roman Hamrlik be used by the NHL to help prove a sham. There were strong pro union like comments made against him by members of the executive board (Erik Cole, Jeff Halpern) and the negotiating committee (Mathieu Darche and Scott Hartnell). Other players commenting, including some players reps, were Martin Brodeur, Troy Brouwer, Josh Gorges, Alex Ovechkin and other Czech players. And Fehr promotes free speech in his union environment.

It's not like the comments were made months ago. In fact Hartnell's comments were made as recently as last week.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Limit folks.

Old
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And is it a shock that a healthy amount of players don't get that? They didn't know, they weren't told, they ignored the wishes of Fehr. It must be one of those.

It's so freakin funny.
That's impossible. These lot of players are extremely well educated on the issues, and the process, just ask them.

Closed Thread