HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

greater goalscorer: Howe vs Bo.Hull vs Bossy vs Br.Hull vs Bure

View Poll Results: greater goalscorer
Howe 1 1.33%
Bobby 42 56.00%
Bossy 22 29.33%
Brett 4 5.33%
Bure 6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Mario
Bobby Hull
Gretzky
Rocket Richard
Howe
Bossy

I don't have bure or Brett Hull in the same category as those 6. Those 6 could legitimately be in any order. My order at their best is above.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:00 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Mario
Bobby Hull
Gretzky
Rocket Richard
Howe
Bossy

I don't have bure or Brett Hull in the same category as those 6. Those 6 could legitimately be in any order. My order at their best is above.
Was Rocket really that good? I mean, quick look at stats would actually imply that Howe was a lot better than him. I know he was a big game scorer tough.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:35 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Was Rocket really that good? I mean, quick look at stats would actually imply that Howe was a lot better than him. I know he was a big game scorer tough.
As a goal scorer alone, I think the Rocket was basically Howe's equal. And even better than Howe at scoring goals in the playoffs.

Howe was better at all other aspects of the game.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
As a goal scorer alone, I think the Rocket was basically Howe's equal. And even better than Howe at scoring goals in the playoffs.

Howe was better at all other aspects of the game.
Exactly. 82 goals in 133 playoff games. Richard lived to score goals. Kinda like Bure but much better as he scored goals at the most important times. If it was the last minute of a playoff game, down by a goal, I don't know if you would want anyone else on the ice to score than Richard.

I have Mario first because physically I think he is unmatched. At his best when NHL defenders could basically ride on your back.. he could not be stopped. Gretzky is more clutch... probably the second most clutch goal scorer ever after the Rocket.

Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe were just not quite as clutch as Mario, Gretzky and Rocket. IMO. Bossy has those ridiculous goal totals consecutively in the playoffs and regular season.

Bossy's actual goal totals regular season and playoffs for his first 9 seasons:
55 75 61 85 81 77 59 63 62

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
First, Mike Bossy was 21 in his first NHL season, while Bobby Hull was only 19, so they were the same age when they each had their breakout seasons.

Second, Bobby Hull was just as consistent and for longer. 13 straight seasons as a Top 6 goal scorer (10 of those Top 3) and the only reason that stopped was because he went to the WHA...he was 2nd in goals the season before he left.
3rd (44) behind Espo (76) and Bucyk (51)

not that it changes your point...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
3rd (44) behind Espo (76) and Bucyk (51)

not that it changes your point...
Perhaps my wording was confusing...I was talking about the 71-72 season, his last season in the NHL before leaving for the WHA. You are posting the numbers from 70-71, his second to last season.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:10 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Exactly. 82 goals in 133 playoff games. Richard lived to score goals.[ Kinda like Bure but much better as he scored goals at the most important times.
Elmer Lach helped out a bit there. You know, the guy who won the Hart over Richard's 50-in-50, and won the Ross the same year? Richard get the glory, but Lach was pretty damn good too.

Quote:
If it was the last minute of a playoff game, down by a goal, I don't know if you would want anyone else on the ice to score than Richard.
Yzerman and Fedorov both get criminally underrated in these threads on this particular metric. Jaromir Jagr also. Those guys brought more clutch than a McLaren F1.

Quote:
I have Mario first because physically I think he is unmatched. At his best when NHL defenders could basically ride on your back.. he could not be stopped. Gretzky is more clutch... probably the second most clutch goal scorer ever after the Rocket.

Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe were just not quite as clutch as Mario, Gretzky and Rocket. IMO. Bossy has those ridiculous goal totals consecutively in the playoffs and regular season.
IMHO, Bossy benefited hugely from Trottier. Without Trots centering him he wouldn't have put up those kinds of totals. He'd have been closer to the 8 in 16 that he did through three rounds on a different line in 1984.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Perhaps my wording was confusing...I was talking about the 71-72 season, his last season in the NHL before leaving for the WHA. You are posting the numbers from 70-71, his second to last season.
Your wording was fine (I did have the wrong season, my bad) He was in fact second with 50 (tied with hadfield) behind only Espo (66) that year

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

1. Lemieux
2. Gretzky
3. Bobby Hull
4. Richard
5. Howe
6. Ovechkin
7. Bossy
8. Bure
9. Brett Hull
10. Selanne

There's my top ten goalscorers of all-time.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
IMHO, Bossy benefited hugely from Trottier. Without Trots centering him he wouldn't have put up those kinds of totals. He'd have been closer to the 8 in 16 that he did through three rounds on a different line in 1984.
A while back someone looked at how Bossy performed during times when Trottier was not in the lineup and his scoring didn't take much of a hit at all. You can probably find it with a search.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 12-19-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Elmer Lach helped out a bit there. You know, the guy who won the Hart over Richard's 50-in-50, and won the Ross the same year? Richard get the glory, but Lach was pretty damn good too.

Yzerman and Fedorov both get criminally underrated in these threads on this particular metric. Jaromir Jagr also. Those guys brought more clutch than a McLaren F1.

good lord.....
When Trotz went down with Injuries and was forced into second lines duties all year because he was playing half capacity, former 60 point guys like Tonelli and Sutter suddenly became 100+ point scorers specifically because of Bossy. And oh look, Bossy scored 58 goals and 117 points without Trots, which was pretty much the same total he scored the previous 2 years.

Bossy did not need Trottier to be great anymore than Trottier needed him. They were both superstar players who would have put up those numbers no matter who they played with.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
1. Lemieux
2. Gretzky
3. Bobby Hull
4. Richard
5. Howe
6. Ovechkin
7. Bossy
8. Bure
9. Brett Hull
10. Selanne

not a bad list, to me it's more important of who is on the top 10 list rather than the order though.

Just curious on how much a guy like Stamkos has to do to make the slit, considering AO is already 6th?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
1. Lemieux
2. Gretzky
3. Bobby Hull
4. Richard
5. Howe
6. Ovechkin
7. Bossy
8. Bure
9. Brett Hull
10. Selanne

Nice list.

Just wondering, how close to the top-10 does Iginla get? Considering that some people think of him as same level scorer as Selanne. (Selanne was better in my mind tough) Some, albeit rare people think Iginla a bit ahead of Selanne too.

As Hardy pointed out, would be nice to hear when Stamkos gets in too. He has led the league twice in goals and has that remarkable 60 goal plateu broken.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote