MLB off-season news and notes thread - Part II

Old
02-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
You guys made up for it by getting Holliday for virtually nothing.
True.

Brett Wallace was supposed to be so good. I don't know what happened. I know he got fat and had to move to 1B, but still.

Is Michael Taylor a lost cause at this point? The A's flipped Wallace for him.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
True.

Brett Wallace was supposed to be so good. I don't know what happened. I know he got fat and had to move to 1B, but still.

Taylor looks like a complete bust.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Pirates to overhaul main logo for 2014.

Expect an updated version of one of the old logos and the general look of the team to be largely unchanged.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

"Updated version of the old logo"

It seems like a trend in sports. Who started it? Washington Capitals?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

So I'm guessing it'll be a modernize version of the one they used in the early 90s? All their Pirate other logos prior to that were pretty terrible and scream 40s-60s.

I just hope whatever it is, it's not enclosed in a circle.
The Twins, Padres, Jays, Astros and Nats all changes to circle logos in the last 5 years too and there was already a lot of teams that had them before that.

The Jays and Astros I give a pass because they just went back to their roots basically. And the Padres. Well I have no idea what their doing, both on the field and with logo/uniforms. They have an identity crisis going on.

The most egregious switch to a circle logo was the Twins:

They went from this:

to this:

Wasn't it really necessary to enclose the logo in a circle and add "Minnesota Baseball Club" to it? That's like circle logo for circle logos sake.

I don't really have a problem with circle logos but I just think it's being beaten to death in sports like black was in the 90s/early 00s and like the color combo of Navy & Baby Blue has been recently.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:57 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
True.

In college, Brett Wallace's thighs were GIGANTIC

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

that's like .7 ryan howard right there.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
"Updated version of the old logo"

It seems like a trend in sports. Who started it? Washington Capitals?
I want to say it was the Penguins. At least of the current generation. The Pirates have already done this before - the late 1987-96 logo was an updated version of the 1936-47 logo so they had a huge jump on that overall.

Count me in on the anti-circular bandwagon, but considering the Pirates alternate 'circular P' logo gets used more than the actual main logo I'm expecting something like the 36-47/87-96 logo being placed in the circle, while retaining the same text...which bothers me since the text in that circle is way too top-heavy.

I do expect that if we do borrow heavily from one of the past logos it will be that 36-47/87-96 design. The others just aren't very good, though most Pirates fans do hold a soft spot for the Mel Gibson Pirate on parchment. I'm just hoping whatever it is it goes in a classier area. The Pirates aesthetic is so clean and classic...having that cartoonishly constipated bucco as the primary logo just doesn't fit.

FWIW I'd be okay with just promoting the damn 'P' to primary logo status and go the direction the Tigers did in 2006.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:18 AM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
that's like .7 ryan howard right there.
... At third base

Well, not in that picture.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Clowe Me

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/look-pi...3751--mlb.html

Pirates sign Brandon Inge.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Trevor Bauer released a cringe worthy diss track in response to Miguel Montero: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...medium=twitter

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

he could have taken the high road but instead he's rollin on dubs on the low road.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Can't wait for baseball!

Old
02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

murray chass embarrassed himself on his blog today.

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=5813

he starts with this:

Quote:
Up front, let me acknowledge that in his playing career, Piazza never tested positive for use of banned performance-enhancing substances. I will also acknowledge that I believe in the jurisprudence of innocent until proven guilty.
which is essentially him saying "everything i'm about to say is irrelevant with this point i am making"

however, his next diarrhea of the mouth is:

Quote:
However, the steroids era of baseball has prompted me to adopt a variation of that theme. It’s now innocent until proven circumstantially guilty. Substitute common-sense for circumstantially if you’d like; it comes out the same way. If you’d prefer, you can use insultingly.
or "i believe in innocent until proven guilty. unless it doesn't fit my argument."

he then took piazza to task for steroids, which piazza never tested positive for, citing piazza's would-have-been ghost-writer who wanted piazza to tell the truth about steroids and bailed when piazza probably told him to **** himself. he also cites reggie jefferson (who never played with piazza) because jefferson said "[clemens is] a guy who did it, and everybody knows it. It’s amazing how all these names, like Roger Clemens, are brought up, yet Mike Piazza goes untouched."

he finishes his article by bringing up piazza's back acne, which is a "telltale" sign of steroid use. and complained that piazza rightly told chass where his interview request could be shoved.

rany jazayerli is a baseball writer who is also a board-certified dermatologist. he had this to say on twitter:

https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/302122815644127233

Quote:
If Murray Chass would like an actual dermatologist to explain to him why back acne doesn't always mean steroid use, he can give me a call.
chass responded to jazayerli:

Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's a shame because there's little that these guys can do to prove their innocence. They're at the mercy at hypocritical writers who voted these guys for awards when they were "doing steroids".

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
murray chass embarrassed himself on his blog today.
Let me say that I was a big fan of Piazza during his Mets days.
That said, you are being extremely selective with this article.
You are leaving out this point.

Quote:
The problem with Piazza’s denial is that his fans are the only ones who unequivocally believe him. Baseball people believe otherwise.
“I think it’s fair to say the prevailing view is one of suspicion, without a doubt,” said a high-ranking executive.
And this:

Quote:
In the book, co-authored by Lonnie Wheeler, a Cincinnati writer, Piazza acknowledges having used androstenedione, a steroids precursor that Mark McGwire made famous, before baseball banned it. He also tried amphetamines, he says, before they were banned.
Amphetamines, he says, made him too jittery, and he opted for Dymetadrine, described as a light asthma medication that sends more oxygen to the brain. Also on his list of legal substances were Ephedra, which burns fat, and Vioxx, which Piazza says he used “because it was an intense anti-inflammatory and it made me feel good.”
The initial writer was a Michael Bamberger who dropped out. He said.

Quote:
“I was concerned whether he would be forthcoming about the steroids,” Bamberger said by telephone, “whether he was using performance-enhancing drugs. He wouldn’t commit at that point to being forthcoming. On that basis I didn’t feel comfortable going ahead. I hope he addressed it in a truthful way.”
Another interesting comment was:

Quote:
Or Lasorda could read page 240 of Jeff Pearlman’s book about Roger Clemens, “The Rocket That Fell to Earth.”
Among several anonymous quotes on Piazza and steroids, Pearlman quotes Reggie Jefferson, a Clemens teammate in Boston, as saying, “He’s a guy who did it, and everybody knows it. It’s amazing how all these names, like Roger Clemens, are brought up, yet Mike Piazza goes untouched.”
Additionally.

Quote:
Jefferson’s comment didn’t come as news to reporters who covered the New York Mets when Piazza was their catcher. They talked about the difference in Piazza’s body, how he looked massive when he got to spring training, then shrunk as the season progressed. They talked about his severe mood swings.
All circumstantial information, of course.

Valrico Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:33 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...and nothing of which shows any evidence that Piazza did steriods. Just more guys "in the know" speculating about guys who used.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:42 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i skipped most of that because it was circumstantial or not really based in anything resembling a fact.

chass quotes an anonymous baseball executive, which could be anyone from a general manager or vice president to a member of a scouting department. the anonymity allows the executive to say whatever he wants without substantiating it with any fact. that is the main argument against people like chass. he spent four paragraphs going on and on about piazza's back acne, which to him is his proof, despite many people who know more about both steroids and acne telling him otherwise. he's an irresponsible journalist in that sense, coasting on his reputation of writing about baseball since he covered deacon mcguire and the philadelphia quakers.

he lists the substances that piazza took which were legal at the time as his evidence that piazza took steroids. again, there's no proof. there's the x->y theory where "oh, if he took these things, why wouldn't he take these things?" like he brought up such noted doctor "carton" who practices medicine opens his mouth and sounds come out related to sports as his "aw shucks folks, these folks agree with me." there needs to be proof if you're going to sit there and tell me that piazza used. not "well this blowhard i listen to on the radio thinks he did." that's horse **** journalism at its finest. chass knows this, he's just too ****ing lazy to do anything about it.

oh, but piazza was "massive" in spring training before being smaller by season's end and having mood swings. what season was this? mood swings? seriously? that's the other "gotcha!" part of this article. "well, piazza lost muscle mass during the season" in which he probably caught <75% of the games (he caught 84% of the games he played in his career) and wore down as the season went on. mood swings though, guess that's what gets me.

i'm not trying to unload on you. you and i have had our dustups in the past and likely will continue to do so. i don't see how chass is defensible here. i hate articles like the one chass wrote. piazza should have gone in the hall of fame this year. he didn't, mostly because of the work of chass who "just had questions" and no answers, no proof, nothing. he's a ****ing hack.

i'm not sitting here with piazza on a pedestal either. he blamed vin scully for not being liked in la anymore. don't expect to blame st. vin, the patron saint of baseball, and me to allow it. piazza's not without fault in all of this. he refused interviews about his book, which is odd, but not something that admits guilt.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThankYouBasedGod View Post
Trevor Bauer released a cringe worthy diss track in response to Miguel Montero: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...medium=twitter
Maybe Arizona wasn't foolish after all.

If he stayed around, it would have been only a matter of time before Kirk Gibson clocked him

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Was it really necessary for the Angels to have a press conference with Trout, Pujols and Hamilton together?

Are they the Heat now?

Old
02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Another guy who built his entire career on beating the Yankees to the NL.

Some say we're not doing enough, but with all these guys going to the NL, frankly I think we've had a great offseason!

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Was it really necessary for the Angels to have a press conference with Trout, Pujols and Hamilton together?

Are they the Heat now?

what channel?

Old
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
what channel?
I don't know if it was on National TV or not, but I'm sure it's up on the Angels site or MLB.com by now.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/vid...78992&c_id=ana

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
davebenj

Braun on yet another list. PLEASE suspend this dolt!!!!!!!

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote