HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Rielly ranked #1 of 2012 draft class in TSN (Craig Button) Top 30 NHL Prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2012, 08:54 PM
  #126
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Just one person's opinion, and Button is often very unconventional with his views, but it's nice to see Rielly getting the recognition! Kid certainly has a tonne of talent.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:07 PM
  #127
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Censored23 View Post
You know what the funny thing is, tho...If the bashers had of just kept their big, fat mouths shut, this thread would have come and gone and been forgotten about in no time.

Instead, the need to bash anything Leafs overrides common sense and before you know it, there's a full-blown argument going on, completely hijacking the thread. Then the bashers get pissed off because they get ganged up on. I mean, really, what did they expect?

Remember this? If you cant say anything nice, then SHUT THE **** UP.
What was that you say?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:09 PM
  #128
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
That's EXACTLY what I thought.
UHg. A habs fan agrees with me.

I'm off to drink some bleach.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 09:46 PM
  #129
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
*Disclaimer: I'm only interested in discussing Morgan Rielly as a prospect, his development and his accomplishments. I am not bashing him or Leaf fans*

That's my point of view as well. If Rielly was placed above a guy like Yakupov, Huberdeau, Hamilton and Strome, he either has 1) an absolutely staggering amount of potential, 2) has performed very well over the past year or 3) a combination of the first two. This is based on Craig Button's posted

If not, then it means that his potential is extraordinary such that it hands down exceeds that of Strome, Hamilton, Yakupov, and, yes, Galchenyuk. How rare would that be? I think that would be on the level of Crosby. I, personally, do not think that that is the case, and I don't know what such an argument could be based off of.
Considering Galchenyuk was placed above Huberdeau, Hamilton and Strome the hypocrisy of this rant is comical. Have you left a reply in the Habs forum asking what Galchenyuk has accomplished to surpass these guys?

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:07 PM
  #130
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Considering Galchenyuk was placed above Huberdeau, Hamilton and Strome the hypocrisy of this rant is comical. Have you left a reply in the Habs forum asking what Galchenyuk has accomplished to surpass these guys?
I didn't mean it as a rant. I thought the tone was pretty neutral.

As for Galchenyuk, there hasn't really been much discussion at all (either recognition or disagreement). I think that guys like Strome and Huberdeau should have been higher up as they were drafted a year before. I personally am not excited about the 'recognition' that Galchenyuk is at #6 according to Button, and it appears neither are most people.

The most glaring discrepancy with respect to Rielly is having him the highest among 2012 drafted players in my opinion above Yakupov. That certainly is debatable. If Leaf fans think Rielly is second after Yakupov, I certainly wouldn't post any disagreement.

Edit: I do think that Galchenyuk has accomplished something so far - without Yakupov (some were worried how Gally would perform without him), after playing 8 games total last season, he is now 2nd in OHL scoring with 61pts in 33 games. That's pretty good.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:21 PM
  #131
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 5,719
vCash: 500
The issue here is most of you have not seen much of Rielly. Before the draft I stated he was the best player available and I still stand by that opinion ( I have had the advantage of watching him much more then the rest of you over the last 5 years)

This kid is the real deal.....he deserves to be where he is on that list.

Luctor et Emergo

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
  #132
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
The issue here is most of you have not seen much of Rielly. Before the draft I stated he was the best player available and I still stand by that opinion ( I have had the advantage of watching him much more then the rest of you over the last 5 years)

This kid is the real deal.....he deserves to be where he is on that list.

Luctor et Emergo
Has anyone said he doesn't deserve to be on that list?

IMO, one person cannot see all prospects equally.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:38 PM
  #133
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User
 
hockeygeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I didn't mean it as a rant. I thought the tone was pretty neutral.

As for Galchenyuk, there hasn't really been much discussion at all (either recognition or disagreement). I think that guys like Strome and Huberdeau should have been higher up as they were drafted a year before. I personally am not excited about the 'recognition' that Galchenyuk is at #6 according to Button, and it appears neither are most people.

The most glaring discrepancy with respect to Rielly is having him the highest among 2012 drafted players in my opinion above Yakupov. That certainly is debatable. If Leaf fans think Rielly is second after Yakupov, I certainly wouldn't post any disagreement.
Fair enough, it's totally debatable. Just annoyed at the amount of attention the list has received specifically in regards to Rielly. It's a crapshoot based on snapshots of players performances who we all think is going to be the most successful. Button included. For the record I would have both Gally and Rielly above Yakupov

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:38 PM
  #134
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,057
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I think Galchenyuk is going to be an absolute stud.

I also think Rielly is going to be an absolute stud.

Button makes his lists based on potential for the most part. He thinks that Rielly possesses ridiculous potential. When you watch him play, regardless how you feel about the rankings, you can really see his potential. The kid already skates better than EVERY defenseman on the Leafs, and that includes Gardiner. He posseses better hands than every player in the Leafs organization save Kadri and Kessel, and he is a defenseman. He probably possesses the best vision from the backend of any d prospect out there right now other than maybe Justin Schultz.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:01 AM
  #135
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
What ever happened to Ryan Ellis?

The dude put both Hamilton and Rielly to shame in terms of offensive output in the CHL. But a quick google search tells me he has 11 pts in 32 NHL games, and 23 pts in 39 AHL games. Both those stats are respectable, but not to the level that was expected of Ellis when he had 89 pts in 57 games during his draft year, and 101 pts in 58 games in 2010-11.

Has the hype worn off on him? Is he still considered a blue-chipper? Are Rielly and Hamilton generally regarded as having higher NHL offensive ceilings?
Ellis' skating is not even in the same stratosphere as Rielly or Hamilton. It didn't hinder him much in junior, but it shows in the NHL. Kid can work a powerplay with the best of them, but cannot dream lugging the puck up ice on the same level as Rielly or Hamilton.

And I would call 23 pts in 39 AHL games and 11 in 32 in the NHL more than respectable for a 22 year old just getting hit feet wet in the pros. He's still a high level prospect.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:32 AM
  #136
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
You make big statements but offer no explanation or reason for them. Off of what do you base this? What makes Rielly a much better prospect than Galchenyuk?
You make big statements but offer no explanation or reason for them. Off of what do you base this? What makes Galchenyuk a clearly better prospect than Rielly?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=211

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:13 AM
  #137
CanadiensforLife
Registered User
 
CanadiensforLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
You make big statements but offer no explanation or reason for them. Off of what do you base this? What makes Galchenyuk a clearly better prospect than Rielly?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=211
I didn't think I had to make a case for Gally but you being a Leafs fan in denial gives me no choice. Gally is coming off an injury(knee) that wiped out his entire season last year except for 8 playoff games and despite that and no Yakupov, is tearing it up big time in one of the best junior leagues. He's at almost a 2 ppg pace and will likely finish the season with over 100 pts and a + player. Gally is the 2nd best point getter in all of the CHL. Rielly however has cooled down big time and struggling to get points. Not saying he's a bad prospect, he's a very good prospect but right now, Gally is miles ahead of him and that's why he's clearly a better prospect than Rielly.

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:33 AM
  #138
KPower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Love Rielly but 4th was a little high IMO, expected him to be around 8th or 9th.

And I agree that if Button was any good he'd have a job in the league, same goes for Doug Maclean.

KPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:42 AM
  #139
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
I didn't think I had to make a case for Gally but you being a Leafs fan in denial gives me no choice. Gally is coming off an injury(knee) that wiped out his entire season last year except for 8 playoff games and despite that and no Yakupov, is tearing it up big time in one of the best junior leagues. He's at almost a 2 ppg pace and will likely finish the season with over 100 pts and a + player. Gally is the 2nd best point getter in all of the CHL. Rielly however has cooled down big time and struggling to get points. Not saying he's a bad prospect, he's a very good prospect but right now, Gally is miles ahead of him and that's why he's clearly a better prospect than Rielly.
Sarnia: 1st in division, 2nd in conference, 124 GF.

Moose Jaw: 4th in division, 9th in conference, 89 GF.

Nah, you're right, that probably has nothing to do with it.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:44 AM
  #140
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,457
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
I didn't think I had to make a case for Gally but you being a Leafs fan in denial gives me no choice. Gally is coming off an injury(knee) that wiped out his entire season last year except for 8 playoff games and despite that and no Yakupov, is tearing it up big time in one of the best junior leagues. He's at almost a 2 ppg pace and will likely finish the season with over 100 pts and a + player. Gally is the 2nd best point getter in all of the CHL. Rielly however has cooled down big time and struggling to get points. Not saying he's a bad prospect, he's a very good prospect but right now, Gally is miles ahead of him and that's why he's clearly a better prospect than Rielly.

Miles ahead of him? Because, as a defenseman, Rielly should've matched Galchenyuk's point totals. Yeah, your 'game by game log' stat analysis beats out Craig Button's live viewings any day of the week.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:30 AM
  #141
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
I didn't think I had to make a case for Gally but you being a Leafs fan in denial gives me no choice. Gally is coming off an injury(knee) that wiped out his entire season last year except for 8 playoff games and despite that and no Yakupov, is tearing it up big time in one of the best junior leagues. He's at almost a 2 ppg pace and will likely finish the season with over 100 pts and a + player. Gally is the 2nd best point getter in all of the CHL. Rielly however has cooled down big time and struggling to get points. Not saying he's a bad prospect, he's a very good prospect but right now, Gally is miles ahead of him and that's why he's clearly a better prospect than Rielly.
Yet you expected us to make a case for Rielly? What's the word for that again?

You haven't proven in any way that "Gally is miles ahead of him" that is just your extremely biased opinion you came to the Leafs board to spread for some thinly veiled reason. The fact is, they were both top 5 draft picks this summer and are likely to be extremely close on most current ranking lists. Even the most biased fan should be able to discern that there is no "miles apart" separation.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
  #142
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Love Rielly but 4th was a little high IMO, expected him to be around 8th or 9th.

And I agree that if Button was any good he'd have a job in the league, same goes for Doug Maclean.
Maclean worked in the NHL for 17 years as a coach and GM. Hello.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:08 AM
  #143
MapleLeafGardens*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
This is about a Craig Button scouting report?

Isn't this guy the former failed fired flames GM who put Martin St Louis on waivers and traded Marc Savard for a bag of pucks? lol

/thread

MapleLeafGardens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:42 AM
  #144
LeafsRReady
Registered User
 
LeafsRReady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Interesting for discussion purposes which is really why Button puts the list together. What other purpose is there? One interesting pick is Brett Ritchie who is up to 11th on the list even though he was a mid 2nd round pick. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I have no doubt that playing on the same line with Strome sure doesn't hurt him and vice versa.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
  #145
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
I didn't think I had to make a case for Gally but you being a Leafs fan in denial gives me no choice. Gally is coming off an injury(knee) that wiped out his entire season last year except for 8 playoff games and despite that and no Yakupov, is tearing it up big time in one of the best junior leagues. He's at almost a 2 ppg pace and will likely finish the season with over 100 pts and a + player. Gally is the 2nd best point getter in all of the CHL. Rielly however has cooled down big time and struggling to get points. Not saying he's a bad prospect, he's a very good prospect but right now, Gally is miles ahead of him and that's why he's clearly a better prospect than Rielly.
Are you being daft or just trolling?

So your reasoning for Gally being miles ahead of Rielly is he came off an injury (sounds familiar), is and getting more points as a forward, on one of the best teams, than Rielly as a D on a bad team?

So what we can take from this:

a) Forwards with more points >>>>>> D-men with less point
b) being on a better team puts you miles ahead in terms of skill and potential.

Glad this we cleared up.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:13 AM
  #146
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiensforLife View Post
I didn't think I had to make a case for Gally but you being a Leafs fan in denial gives me no choice. Gally is coming off an injury(knee) that wiped out his entire season last year except for 8 playoff games and despite that and no Yakupov, is tearing it up big time in one of the best junior leagues. He's at almost a 2 ppg pace and will likely finish the season with over 100 pts and a + player. Gally is the 2nd best point getter in all of the CHL. Rielly however has cooled down big time and struggling to get points. Not saying he's a bad prospect, he's a very good prospect but right now, Gally is miles ahead of him and that's why he's clearly a better prospect than Rielly.
So you're going to judge a prospects talent by comparing their point totals even though they are on completely different caliber teams and play completely different positions? Lol.

MJ is one of the worste junior teams I've ever seen in terms of offense. Their best forward is an undrafted player that only had a hot start.

I saw this in the prospects thread and this might give you an idea about how bad MJ is:

Quote:
Joel Edmundson who got trade to Kamloops has 6 points in 6 games . He had 8 points in 29 games with MJ. Joel freaking Edmundson is a ppg since being traded , imagine what Rielly would do .

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:29 AM
  #147
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
So you're going to judge a prospects talent by comparing their point totals even though they are on completely different caliber teams and play completely different positions? Lol.

MJ is one of the worste junior teams I've ever seen in terms of offense. Their best forward is an undrafted player that only had a hot start.

I saw this in the prospects thread and this might give you an idea about how bad MJ is:
Perhaps the point is the list is a talking point and you can argue any position without having any evidence to support it.

Why is Rielly better? Because he's scoring lots of points on a mediocre team? Because, he like 23 other Canadians made the national team? There really isn't anything unique about that.

Bottom line it is a silly list, with artificially created criteria. Less than 10 NHL games. Why not 23 NHL games? How many times was Button over in Europe scouting the top leagues over there? Who is paying for him to do all this scouting, and how is he able to be in three places at the same time?

I like the list, it does at least include players we don't get to see but we've heard may be the best outside of the NHL. So often emphasis is on the known players, but I highly doubt the list is accurate reflection of every prospect's true ranking (which we'll never have). Different leagues, different amount of scouting, different positions, different ages, ...

But hey, it has generated some discussions here, but that doesn't make it accurate.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:33 AM
  #148
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,335
vCash: 500
It's just another scouting list, so who really cares.

But it is hilarious how ******** people are over Rielly's ranking. Quite enjoyable.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
  #149
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500

Friar Burke


therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:45 AM
  #150
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
It's just another scouting list, so who really cares.

But it is hilarious how ******** people are over Rielly's ranking. Quite enjoyable.
I'm surprised there isn't more whinging about 3 Russians being in the top 5.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.