HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

[NYM/TOR] Dickey/Thole/Nickeas for D'Arnaud/Syndergaard/Buck/Becerra (done deal)

Old
12-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Everlong
-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
LOL. Dickey at the 4? Uh . . . Are you sure you have seen him pitch before?
Yes I have. The issue is separating Romero and Buehrle, both lefties. I also believe management will have Morrow start the home opener. The order doesn't really matter during the regular season anyway. The only time rotation order has any sort of impact is during the post-season.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
StringerBell

Fair point.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:50 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Rest of the AL is laughing at the overpayment the Jays gave. Rightfully so.
For overpayment, see A-Rod.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
>Rest of AL is laughing
>At overpayment Jays gave
>Yankees and Bosox well known for overpayment (Ortiz's new contract, Texeira, Rodriguez etc.)

notsureifsrs.jpg

Seriously, you need to stop getting on the Jays' *** and spewing nonsense.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Clowe Me

If I were the Jays, i'd start Buehrle and Morrow back to back in the rotation. Imagine going from a soft tossing lefty one day to a hard throwing righty the next day.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Yes I have. The issue is separating Romero and Buehrle, both lefties. I also believe management will have Morrow start the home opener. The order doesn't really matter during the regular season anyway. The only time rotation order has any sort of impact is during the post-season.
It matters at the beginning and the end and the post-season. That is true. But you don't have your Cy Young as the 4th starter. You can space out Romero and Buhrle during the season. Dickey should be the opening day starter or the #2.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I doubt you get a Cy Young pitcher and have him pitch anywhere but at the top.

Dickey
JJ
Buehrle
Morrow
Romero
This is how I see it. We're going to have a full dome at 49k, management would likely wanna show off the shiny new toy who looks like he stepped outta Artie Lange's Beer League but has the golden arm.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Oh the irony in a Yankee supporter talking about overpayment.. They just acquired the reigning NL Cy Young winner for 2 kids who have never spent a day in the big leagues. If TDA and Syndergaard ever reach their ceiling, it will have been a steep price, sure.. Will Syndergaard ever win a Cy Young? Doubtful. Do prospects bust wayyy more then they boom? Absolutely.

Even if everything goes right and according to planned (Jays win a WS, Mets have 2 studs for their rebuild and become relevant in 3-5 years) will the Jays care? I mean, do you ever hear anyone complain that we gave up MVP and HOF'er Jeff Kent for a peice that put us over the edge to win the WS?

Would you prefer 25 million dollars cash? or 6/7 of the numbers for the 100 million dollar lottery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
If I were the Jays, i'd start Buehrle and Morrow back to back in the rotation. Imagine going from a soft tossing lefty one day to a hard throwing righty the next day.
I like that idea.

JJ
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

Not that I wouldn't put Dickey ahead of Johnson, but I think JP should be behind the plate opening day. Thole was brought in as Dickey's personal catcher.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:34 PM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Oh the irony in a Yankee supporter talking about overpayment.. They just acquired the reigning NL Cy Young winner for 2 kids who have never spent a day in the big leagues. If TDA and Syndergaard ever reach their ceiling, it will have been a steep price, sure.. Will Syndergaard ever win a Cy Young? Doubtful. Do prospects bust wayyy more then they boom? Absolutely.

Even if everything goes right and according to planned (Jays win a WS, Mets have 2 studs for their rebuild and become relevant in 3-5 years) will the Jays care? I mean, do you ever hear anyone complain that we gave up MVP and HOF'er Jeff Kent for a peice that put us over the edge to win the WS?

Would you prefer 25 million dollars cash? or 6/7 of the numbers for the 100 million dollar lottery?

I like that idea.

JJ
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

Not that I wouldn't put Dickey ahead of Johnson, but I think JP should be behind the plate opening day. Thole was brought in as Dickey's personal catcher.

You are right saying prospects often dont live up to their ceiling (although top-flight ones this close to being ready for the bigs do more than dont, contrary to what you said). But at the same time, these types of "all in" off-seasons also dont have a super high success rate. Look at Boston, NYY, MIA, LAA last year, the list goes on and on where a team signs multiple top players onto an already stacked squad, and the next season they still have nothing to show for it. Barring injuries, the Jays are expected to compete; But they are in a tough division and I think its a stretch to say this team is a lock for the AL-East, let alone the AL etc...

AllAbout813 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:34 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
JJ
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

If we are gonna go with someone besides Dickey as our opening day starter it should be Morrow. He earned it last season.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
McTank

Quote:

I like that idea.

JJ
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

Wouldnt it make more sense to have the flame throwing morrow follow up the soft tossing buehrle? Not to mention lefty/righty rotation with romero at 5. Think you might be right about JP though and I think it might end up like.
Morrow
Buehrle
Dickey
Johnson
Romero

AA LOVES buehrle

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:52 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
You are right saying prospects often dont live up to their ceiling (although top-flight ones this close to being ready for the bigs do more than dont, contrary to what you said). But at the same time, these types of "all in" off-seasons also dont have a super high success rate. Look at Boston, NYY, MIA, LAA last year, the list goes on and on where a team signs multiple top players onto an already stacked squad, and the next season they still have nothing to show for it. Barring injuries, the Jays are expected to compete; But they are in a tough division and I think its a stretch to say this team is a lock for the AL-East, let alone the AL etc...
Theres no guarentees in anything. d'Arnaud has had hip and knee injuries which can be a big blow to a catcher.. Syndergaard is 20 years old and hasn't even made it out of single A ball, he still has a long road ahead.

You're right about the all in, but Miami for example, was completely re working their core. The Jays already already have a core of position players such as Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Arencibia. They added 3 Dominican players to the core in Reyes, Cabrera and Bonifacio, and guys from DR are notorious for sticking together... The staff was Morrow who would have been an all star last year if he didn't get hurt, and Romero who had a rough year last year but was very good every year prior. To that they added Johnson who seems like a consumate professional, and Buehrle who is a low maintenance workhorse... Now Dickey on top of that, who from all reports, is a very good teammate, although a little odd.

Its different then Miami because we already had a solid core, and its different from LAA because we didn't bring in the cornerstone in Pujols with huge expectations surrounding a 200+million dollar contract. Bautista, Encarnacion and Lawrie are still key to the offense, and that will hopefully allow the rest of the team to go about their business... Besides, when Jose goes, the team goes. We were only a few games out of wildcard contention when we lost 3 starters in a 4 game span, then Bautista shortly after... It was downhill from there, as expected.

This payroll doesn't guarentee anything... But it does afford much more room for error when slumps and injuries arise.

Johnson is the only player who could possibly be gone in the next 3-4 years, but if he earns his payday, he'll get it here. AA has the support of ownership and they all believe the time is now, and are prepared to spend accordingly to give the team its best chance at a title in 20 years.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Wouldnt it make more sense to have the flame throwing morrow follow up the soft tossing buehrle? Not to mention lefty/righty rotation with romero at 5. Think you might be right about JP though and I think it might end up like.
Morrow
Buehrle
Dickey
Johnson
Romero

AA LOVES buehrle
Gibby will make line up decisions, but its nice to have options for once.. Having 3 guys who are worthy of opening day is a definite luxury.

Old
12-17-2012, 05:09 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Gibby will make line up decisions, but its nice to have options for once.. Having 3 guys who are worthy of opening day is a definite luxury.
3 guys who are worth of it and another who was good enough in 2011 to be our opening day starter last year.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Official terms of the deal:

Quote:
Jays get dickey nickeas thole
https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...96855556780032

Quote:
Mets get darnaud syndergaard buck and becerra
https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...97011257720832

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I'm still not sure why a 38-year old knuckleballer is such a hot commodity. Don't get me wrong, Dickey certainly has been fantastic, especially last year, but I really don't know why a team would give up a top prospect for him.
I thought the same thing when the San Francisco Giants gave up Wheeler for a rental in Beltran.

Quote:
Enough with the trolling, you're turning out to be worse than Martini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
LOL. Dickey at the 4? Uh . . . Are you sure you have seen him pitch before?
I do agree that it isn't likely Dickey starts at the 4, but I don't think it's all that important as people here are discussing.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Jays now need to make it to the ALCS with Dickey to justify this trade.

Unless the 2 top prospects both underachieve significantly, of course.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

all the talk about opening day starts is giving me chest pains.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:38 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I'd set it up like this opening day:

1. Jose Reyes (SS)
2. Melky Cabrera (LF)
3. Jose Bautista (RF)
4. Edwin Encarnacion (DH)
5. Brett Lawrie (3B)
6. Adam Lind (1B)
7. Colby Rasmus (CF)
8. JP Arencibia (C)
9. Maicer Izturis (2B)

1. Brandon Morrow
2. RA Dickey
3. Josh Johnson
4. Mark Buehrle
5. Ricky Romero

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
SB164

R.A. Dickey ‏@RADickey43

Looking forward to a new chapter with the Jays.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I'd set it up like this opening day:

1. Jose Reyes (SS)
2. Melky Cabrera (LF)
3. Jose Bautista (RF)
4. Edwin Encarnacion (DH)
5. Brett Lawrie (3B)
6. Adam Lind (1B)
7. Colby Rasmus (CF)
8. JP Arencibia (C)
9. Maicer Izturis (2B)

1. Brandon Morrow
2. RA Dickey
3. Josh Johnson
4. Mark Buehrle
5. Ricky Romero
Id switch lind and lawrie for a better lefty/righty mix

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
This is how I see it. We're going to have a full dome at 49k, management would likely wanna show off the shiny new toy who looks like he stepped outta Artie Lange's Beer League but has the golden arm.
they have a team of shiny new toys

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Everlong
-

It was a very steep price to pay. I don't like the move personally, but at the same time I'm psyched about being able to watch an elite knuckleball pitcher for years to come.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/280810648693264385

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
RA Dickey trade official. He receives $29 million guarantee over next 3 seasons. Deal includes $12 million club option for 2016.

Heyman tweets it's a 1 M buyout on that option.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Kershaw

The Mets now boast a stacked abundance of high-end pitching talent.

Niese-Wheeler-Harvey-Syndergaard-Gee.

Filthy.

Great job by Sandy, I would have faith in the Mets if they weren't owned by the Wilpons.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote