HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

[NYM/TOR] Dickey/Thole/Nickeas for D'Arnaud/Syndergaard/Buck/Becerra (done deal)

Old
12-16-2012, 06:27 AM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
And so was Nova the year before, but people claim him to be garbage.

ARod was losing a step anyways and the absence of Jeter will not be as big as the media makes it out to be. Yes, he is a great hitter, but Jayson Nix fit in comfortably at SS and made unbelievable plays defensively. They are obviously worse off without him.

Addition by subtraction. He can't hit in the playoffs.

That's a good joke.
Nova isn't good. 2011 he had a good win loss record that's it.

It's the truth. Who's rotation would you honestly rather have?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:01 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ue-jays-style/

decent read.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
For those who are saying that Dickey has only had one good year, Fangraphs showed his last 3 years have been comparable to David Price's last year. This trade will probably be contingent on the Jays getting an additional 2-year extension on Dickey...and since he is a knuckleballer, he should be able to pitch quite well over the next 3 - 5 seasons.
Yes, because by using advanced statistics...but not certain ones which dont adhere to knuckleball pitchers, Dickey suddenly becomes one of the best pitchers in baseball and makes the whole advanced stat tripe just that...tripe.

We get it. Yet another desperation move to try and compete with the big teams in the east and the hope of many a Jays fan rides on every little calculated risk like some sort of cape of underwhelming. These are desperate times in Jays land. Head scratching risks and hope to gods sure dont cut it in a division that has proven winners, such as the Yankees and Rays, in the same division. The Jays were on par with the Royals last year. Now, as some sort of united effort in futile, AA has done an overwhelmingly justified job in wiping his entire farm system out in the span of one off season and has what, exactly, to show for it?

A multiple time all star SS which means absolutely nothing when the next season starts?
Correct.
A proven workhorse who has how many innings on his arm and has shown arm tiredness in the past? Correct.
A right handed pitcher who has proven countless times that he can carry the load while on the DL? Correct.
A known drugger? Correct
A club house cancer re-instated as manager? Correct
And now, possibly a gimmick pitcher who has one good year on his resume? Maybe.

And thats gonna beat the Yankees? A team that doesnt always have the best talent but has the one thing a team like the Jays havent done in decades, and thats know how to win?
Quote:
But hey, what do I know. I should take the word of a White Sox fan who says Dickey has had one good year.
I'm not the only one saying that.
Quote:
Guess I would be bitter and jealous too if I saw a rival team making a series of great moves to become World Series contender while my team made no significant moves whatsoever,
The Jays were closer to the Royals then near the top of the league, where the White Sox were most of the year. The Sox didnt have to, thats the rub.
Quote:
is mired in mediocrity and looks to be another 100 years away from a WS (just like last time).
And chances are the White Sox will win a WS again before the Jays even win their respected division.

I mean, really? Does anybody not see the drastic holes still there on a team that lost almost 90 games last year? Or is there actual belief that all these moves suddenly swing the Jays 20 games, yes, and outlandish number, positive and even then, its fair to say 95 wins takes the division on the low end and even with a 20 game handicap, the Jays still come up short.

And on that note, I still see them as a last place team. Not enough and what they have brought in is questionable to say the least.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:35 AM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
He's exactly right

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:41 AM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Yes, because by using advanced statistics...but not certain ones which dont adhere to knuckleball pitchers, Dickey suddenly becomes one of the best pitchers in baseball and makes the whole advanced stat tripe just that...tripe.

We get it. Yet another desperation move to try and compete with the big teams in the east and the hope of many a Jays fan rides on every little calculated risk like some sort of cape of underwhelming. These are desperate times in Jays land. Head scratching risks and hope to gods sure dont cut it in a division that has proven winners, such as the Yankees and Rays, in the same division. The Jays were on par with the Royals last year. Now, as some sort of united effort in futile, AA has done an overwhelmingly justified job in wiping his entire farm system out in the span of one off season and has what, exactly, to show for it?

A multiple time all star SS which means absolutely nothing when the next season starts?
Correct.
A proven workhorse who has how many innings on his arm and has shown arm tiredness in the past? Correct.
A right handed pitcher who has proven countless times that he can carry the load while on the DL? Correct.
A known drugger? Correct

And thats gonna beat the Yankees? A team that doesnt always have the best talent but has the one thing a team like the Jays havent done in decades, and thats know how to win?

The Jays were closer to the Royals then near the top of the league, where the White Sox were most of the year. The Sox didnt have to, thats the rub.

And chances are the White Sox will win a WS again before the Jays even win their respected division.

I mean, really? Does anybody not see the drastic holes still there on a team that lost almost 90 games last year? Or is there actual belief that all these moves suddenly swing the Jays 20 games, yes, and outlandish number, positive and even then, its fair to say 95 wins takes the division on the low end and even with a 20 game handicap, the Jays still come up short.

And on that note, I still see them as a last place team. Not enough and what they have brought in is questionable to say the least.
Well first off the jays had TONS of injuries last year so they eouldve won atleast 80 games if they were healthy (82 win in 2011) and theyve added izturis, cabrera, reyes, bonofacio, johnson, buehrle, and dickey who has had three good years, it isnt very hard to look up his stats instead of making up your own in your fantasy world. So I'm pretty sure those players will add the 15 wins to get them to 95 if not more

Old
12-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
The Jays have finished last in the Al east exactly once in the last 15 years. They have clearly improved on what wasn't a last place team last year.
If you so sure they will end up back there take me up on my account bet.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Nazem Bozak

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Mets, #BlueJays have agreement in principle on Dickey trade. Window open for Jays to extend Dickey, which would complete deal.

Nazem Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
lol Jays.

Give up two two elite prospects for a 38 yr old rental. Inept management is inept.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/st...83245441445889
Quote:
Blue Jays To Acquire R.A. Dickey *******/ZzIwvy #mlb

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
lol Jays.

Give up two two elite prospects for a 38 yr old rental. Inept management is inept.
No pieces have been announced officially yet, apart from Dickey. The Syndergaard stuff is just colon smoke blow by the Mets writers (Mike Luna, Joel Sherman, etc.) to pump up the price and hype train. If it is real, I'll pull my hair out.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:51 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Quote:
lol Jays.

inept management brought in 3 all stars for a couple of prospects aswell. And the deal is contingent on an extension so not sure you understand the concept of rental

Old
12-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:

Correct.
A known drugger? Correct

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read on HF and that includes the 10 page thread on the bruins forum about acquiring versteeg and making him a dman to solve their PMD issues.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:11 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

And it's MLBTR official

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
darko

Quote:
lol Jays.

Rental? Dickey will get an extension.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
lol Jays.

As reported over and over it wouldn't be a rental. He will have to sign an extension to complete the deal.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:25 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Not sure I believe the reported deal and dont think rosenthal is buying it either, we will find out soon

Old
12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Not sure I believe the reported deal and dont think rosenthal is buying it either, we will find out soon
Why don't you believe it? Jeff Passan confirms the deal reported by the New York Post.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:41 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The Jays have finished last in the Al east exactly once in the last 15 years. They have clearly improved on what wasn't a last place team last year.
If you so sure they will end up back there take me up on my account bet.
Don't even respond to him, he's been trolling. I'd do an account bet too but I know he wouldn't follow up with it. His precious Yanks are aging and out of juice so he's mad

Old
12-16-2012, 02:10 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Dickey dealt to Toronto, based on him signing an extension with 72 hours of the deal being made

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

If they're keeping Arencebia then what the hell is Thole for?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
le_sean

Quote:
lol Jays.

I think the inept management is the one paying A-Rod $27.5 million a year until 2017 and Teixeira $22.5 million until 2016.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If they're keeping Arencebia then what the hell is Thole for?
Well Buck was in the deal also, so now Jays are down 2 catchers. They need a back-up, might as well take Dickeys personal catcher from his Cy Young year

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think the inept management is the one paying A-Rod $27.5 million a year until 2017 and Teixeira $22.5 million until 2016.
Brian Cashman is a rather inept GM with his four championship rings and one non-playoff year out of 15. The false sense of superiority emanating from Toronto fans of all people is quite funny. Congrats - the Jays are putting a good team on the field for once. Let's see if they can actually win something.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:54 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
Brian Cashman is a rather inept GM with his four championship rings and one non-playoff year out of 15. The false sense of superiority emanating from Toronto fans of all people is quite funny. Congrats - the Jays are putting a good team on the field for once. Let's see if they can actually win something.
Easy when you spend over 200 mill..

Old
12-16-2012, 03:00 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
lol Jays.

Syndergaard - a pitcher who "might" win a Cy Young in his career for a guy who won one last year.
D'arnaud - a catcher who "might" become a good young player this year for the Mets. We already have a good young catcher.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote